PDA

View Full Version : lug nut school

Gunkandpudge
01-12-2012, 09:03 PM
had new tires put on the RT. Only problem was when I left the dealership four of the six lugs were only finger tightened. at 50mph i thought i heard a rubbing sound, slowing down i noticed the front right tire was wobbling. one of the lugs when i touched it came off in my hand. the phone call i made was rather to the point. anyway a truck with a trailer picked up the spyder and it is now back in the shop. obviously many apologies to me. :(

Lamonster
01-12-2012, 09:05 PM
:gaah::banghead:

MarkLawson
01-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Wow, glad you caught it before a wheel came off!

MikeinGA
01-12-2012, 10:23 PM
had new tires put on the RT. Only problem was when I left the dealership four of the six lugs were only finger tightened. at 50mph i thought i heard a rubbing sound, slowing down i noticed the front right tire was wobbling. one of the lugs when i touched it came off in my hand. the phone call i made was rather to the point. anyway a truck with a trailer picked up the spyder and it is now back in the shop. obviously many apologies to me. :(

I would be looking for a new set of wheels, from dealership. Did you see the wheels? That can mess up the lug holes and twist a wheel making them dangerous and it may need an front end alignment. That's IMHO.

Mike

ARtraveler
01-13-2012, 12:06 AM
:welcome: Sorry for the bad experience. Glad you figured it out before something bad happened.

GLRange
01-13-2012, 12:13 AM
This happened to the girl I was dating back in high school, she had a custom VW Baja type bug(A bug I talked her into buying at a car show) and we took it in to get a brake job done on the front end. So after the dealership contacted us stating car was ready to be picked up her father and I took my girlfriend to pick up the Bug. It was a strait shot down a suburban road for about 15 miles to her Dad's house and we were following her home. About 500 yards before we made it back we watched in horror as the bug drifted to the right slightly as the right front wheel and tire flew off the axle...It stayed up on three wheels longer than you would think possible but as she slowed down the front spindle started grinding into the pavement making a nice long white streak complete with sparks!

Anyway, she somehow managed to pull off to the side of the road or it just ended up there and she was shook up a bit but fine. Her father however did give me quite a look as if it was my fault somehow..(I don't think he liked the car I talked her into in the first place:roflblack:) I of course tried to explain but I think he realized at about the same time that they failed to tighten the lug nuts properly. We went back to the service center a few hours later and gave them a good arse chewing! :mad:

These things do happen...sometimes it carelessness, sometimes it's a simple as forgetting where you were in the procedure after you came back from lunch or took a phone call.

The bottom line is this. They need to do what the aircraft mechanics MUST do by FAA regulations...and that is have a 2nd mechanic check off their work from a hands on checklist, especially when critical components are worked on and I believe some of the better shops do this already...and the ones that don't should be! :lecturef_smilie:

NancysToy
01-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Glad you paid attention and discovered it before a disaster. It happens! A few months ago I took my truck into the Ford dealer for a new A/C compressor. They notified me that the brakes wer getting worn, so I replaced the pads the next day. I found the steering idler arm bolts merley started in the holes, not even screwed down at all! It could easily have killed m on the highway in short order. At least your dealership was apologetic. Mine shrugged their shoulders and went back about their business...not even offering to tow it in or make ammends. Needless to say I will drive to the next city for my service from here on.

boborgera
01-13-2012, 09:53 AM

Glad you caught it in time,
I'm going bet that as the tire monkey was tightening the nuts he got interrupted with a cell phone call from his Girlfriend, and forgot to check them.:gaah:

thehawk
01-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Glad you caught it in time,
I'm going bet that as the tire monkey was tightening the nuts he got interrupted with a cell phone call from his Girlfriend, and forgot to check them.:gaah:

"tire monkey" ... how funny!

"Right turn (until tight), Clyde!"

thehawk

boborgera
01-13-2012, 12:27 PM
"tire monkey" ... how funny!

"Right turn (until tight), Clyde!"

thehawk

Except on my 68 Charger, Right side Turn left to tighten, Snapped a few studs rushing to get the slicks on at the track with my big cheater bar.

Gunkandpudge
01-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Yes new wheels and new lugs. sFiguring to pick it up tomorrow afternoon.:yes:

Gunkandpudge
01-13-2012, 03:39 PM
dealer just called and they are bringing the spyder up to me, about 30 mile trip. im sure the wheels are on this time.:clap:

arntufun
01-13-2012, 04:27 PM
To be honest, that dealer is doing a great thing. He could of tried to get away with not replacing the rims but they didn't. Kudos to your dealer, and I don't say that very often. :thumbup:

coz
01-13-2012, 05:01 PM
i'm glad you lived to tell the story:yikes::banghead:

boborgera
01-13-2012, 05:49 PM
To be honest, that dealer is doing a great thing. He could of tried to get away with not replacing the rims but they didn't. Kudos to your dealer, and I don't say that very often.
:thumbup:

Why Kudos to the dealer, He cause the problem, If the wheel fell of at 60mph, And then fixed the wheels for the estate, Still Kudos> ? That's the problem people are willing to take substandard workmanship as long as,
''It was fix under warranty''.

thehawk
01-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Except on my 68 Charger, Right side Turn left to tighten, Snapped a few studs rushing to get the slicks on at the track with my big cheater bar.

So much for rightsey, tightsey, lefty loosey :ohyea:

thehawk

arntufun
01-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Why Kudos to the dealer, He cause the problem, If the wheel fell of at 60mph, And then fixed the wheels for the estate, Still Kudos> ? That's the problem people are willing to take substandard workmanship as long as,
''It was fix under warranty''.

Bob, In my neck of the woods problems are opportunities, so with that being said......... yes it was :cus: up what happened, but how they handled it was the way all dealers should act. Would my dealer have handled it in this way ???? NO , would be the answer to that question.

I agree most dealers could care less, but this one seems to care. Again, I'm one of the last ones to stick up for a dealer, but this one seems to want to do the right thing.

I will give you a senerio. I ordered a micro switch for my brake pedal (because I bent it)on 12-20-11. Keep in mind I paid for it already. I called yesterday (1-12-12) to see if it was in yet. The parts manager said he has been really busy and forgot to place the order. OK I said what will you do for me now, He said nothing, He also said if I have a problem with it he would reimburse me and I can take my business elsewhere. The issue is, most of the dealers think they are doing you a favor because 90% of them are the only game in town and it is nice to see a dealer at least trying to do the right thing.

dancogan
01-13-2012, 08:57 PM
...He also said if I have a problem with it he would reimburse me and I can take my business elsewhere. ...

I would make sure the owner was aware of that statement, and I'd also make sure everyone I knew was aware of it. I would definitely name the dealer, and let the owner know you intend to tell everyone you know. Unless this was an isolated incident there's no reason to cut any slack.

MikeinGA
01-13-2012, 10:10 PM
dealer just called and they are bringing the spyder up to me, about 30 mile trip. im sure the wheels are on this time.:clap:

Good for you. You have a better dealer than I have.

Mike

Campverdefela
01-14-2012, 11:33 AM
had new tires put on the RT. Only problem was when I left the dealership four of the six lugs were only finger tightened. at 50mph i thought i heard a rubbing sound, slowing down i noticed the front right tire was wobbling. one of the lugs when i touched it came off in my hand. the phone call i made was rather to the point. anyway a truck with a trailer picked up the spyder and it is now back in the shop. obviously many apologies to me. :( I've had that happen several times over the years, but after the first time which was my wife's car and the wheel actually came off, I religiously check them after any work done that requires the wheels coming off. I can't tell you how many times I've had some loose ones and while your add it always recheck the tire pressure.