PDA

View Full Version : August Ohio Gathering of Spyders and Veterans

Littlebadwolf
01-12-2012, 05:55 PM
This is something i swore I'd never do again due to the complexities, politics, and a lot of other things...don't know where to post it...so I'll post it here..

I'm retired Army...did 27 years...skip a lot of history to present day....Cindi & I lived in Ohio prior to moving to michigan, a little over 5 years ago...Anyway...short story...We used to host a veteran's gathering at a private VFW campground...over 7 acres right off I-75, just south of dayton.

The park, our <my> vfw is about 7.5 acres, pavilion, stage for bands, lots of places to camp...either sleeping bag, tent, rv, big moror home, public facilities.....not the rental types...:)

Cindi and I, and the VFW post I belong to in Ohio is gonna host a 3 day Spyder/Veterans event the weekend of 24, 25, 26 August. We're gonna charge $20 for the entire weekend which pays for bands, cops (security), and all the other administrative stuff...If there's money left beyond that it goes to the Homeless fund at the Franklin, Oh Veterans Coalition...VFW, American Legion, AMVETS, EAGLES...bottom line...nobody makes a profit..
we take care of those in need...and it's gonna be right in your face...the homeless...they'll be there thanking you...

The park has abourt 16-20 electrical hook-ups for rv's...maybe more...can't remember...they're free...and a dump station.

If there's anything else you need...the veteran's coalition of Franklin, Ohio will take care of you...My promise..,.

I need to tie into the Ohio and Indiana Chapters to get thier support..What I'm putting forth is a cause...Raise some money maybe for our homeless veterans from all 3 States...could be more but it's a start.

I'll also say one thing before I depart to make my wife supper...it'd be great to see other Spyder Ryders get together with fellow veterans. I've already got the reservation for the campground...now I'd like to hear from those who would like to come and enjoy a great weekend...Cindi and I have had over 2,000 people at the park to support common issues and interests...in this case....our rides...our freedom...and our country...

Sorry...It's that German wine again...but it's the truth and the mission to have the gathering in August...Wanna be brought back to the 60's....Something we all understood.

SpyderLady
01-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Great idea. Good luck and hope lots of Spyders join in

SpyderAnn01
01-12-2012, 10:59 PM
Larry good luck with your event. I hope you get a great turnout. I wish I could make it but I dont think its possible.

pierrelogic
01-13-2012, 09:38 AM
The OSR has a group ride scheduled on the 25th up in the NW part of Ohio but this is now on my radar. :2thumbs:

I will promise to try and work out some logistics with our club. Great cause.

zrc
01-13-2012, 09:43 AM
I am interested, but I am not a veteran, I would still like to support the event.

Questions
01-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Where in Michigan do you live? Just moved to Grand Haven last July. Bike up for the winter, but looking foward to Spring. Would be about a six hour ride for me. What is the weather like in August. Heat plus tents aren't comfortable. Thanks Jim 08 Yellow GS

UKBLUE1
01-13-2012, 11:26 PM
I will put this on the calendar. August might be a little hot for camping , but have family living in the area in Franklin. 20 year vet will always support the Veterans.

Papa
01-13-2012, 11:35 PM
I just might be in the area during that time. I'll monitor this thread and may just stop by.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

bonehead
01-15-2012, 09:39 AM
i try an get some of the Cincy? Dayton riders group to come and maybe Middl town cycle will set up a booth?:clap:

Littlebadwolf
01-15-2012, 10:00 AM
We're in Jackson, Michigan..This "Gathering" as I call it is something that I used to do when we lived in Franklin, Ohio. It was a weekend of fun for veterans and those who support veterans. First year we had 90 people in attendance...5th year we had over 2,000. I stopped doing this when we moved to Michigan but I thought it'd be nice to have a weekend meet with Spyder folks and veterans...simple reason....fun and comraderie..Details will be posted as I develop the schedule but it will involve camping, pig roasts, bands, a session to honor veterans (possibly with Ohio's POW/MIA Moving Wall). You don't have to be a veterans to attend and it will definitely involve some Spyder rides...It's a great area with lots of nice roads and country. I'll post additional information once I get a flyer and schedule developed. Side note:...there are tons of hotels within a half mile of the campground for those who don't desire to camp.

seansr917
01-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Count me in schedule permitting. USAF 1986-1992

GI Jane
01-16-2012, 12:57 PM
I could possibly make myself be in that area for this. Any nice hotels in the area? After 34 years in the military I don't do camping!

Tin Can
01-16-2012, 01:41 PM
I do the Run For The Wall, in May. My wife and I would love to come up to Ohio for that weekend. Will be looking at the posts and finding out exactly when and where. If you could give a better town name so we could look up hotels. Count us in.... Tin Can

Littlebadwolf
01-16-2012, 02:58 PM
There's at least a dozen hotels in the areas that I get group rates for...It's in Franklin, Ohio...exit 138 off I-75...I'll be putting a flyer together shortly after I go down and get together with the folks from the VFW, Legion and AMVETS w2ho host this for me...It's actually a great weekend with fun people and it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg...and yes...there will be a spyder ride...:)

bonehead
01-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Try some motels at the Union Central exit-- West Chester nice area. There some at the Middletown exit also.
Franklin is south of Dayton .

coz
01-16-2012, 05:04 PM
welcome to the site tincan, glad you made it. i'm in for at least part of the franklin gig. Coz is 3 for 3 recruiting.:yes::yes::yes:

Littlebadwolf
01-17-2012, 06:18 AM
I'll be at the Franklin VFW this Saturday at 1:00 P.M....1300 for us military types.. to start covering details with the local posts. Anybody from the local area is welcome to join us as we start putting togethis this event...The post is right on main street in Franklin...can't miss it...