PDA

View Full Version : Is this too much for a 2008 Spyder?

killerbee
01-11-2012, 06:32 PM
A dealer has a 2008 SM Spyder, 8000 mi. They wanted $12,500 and we got them down to $11,200. Do you think this is a fair price or over-priced for a 4 yr. old Spyder? P.S. We already own 2 Spyders (priceless), but have a need for another.

ABQ_Spyderman
01-11-2012, 06:36 PM
I think that's in the right ballpark due to the mileage, but for an '08 I'd rather see the first two numbers begin with "10". However, if there are upgrades (passenger backrest/sportrack, wheels, etc) then I'd probably jump on it. That's about what I paid for an '09 with 7,000 miles on it back in April 2011--but mine was bone stock.

--ABQ

NancysToy
01-11-2012, 07:04 PM
http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2011/Can-Am/Motorcycles lists the retail value at $10,160 to $13,155.

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail/2008/can_am/ lists the retail value at $10,015 in excellent condition.

GnA
01-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Too much... Go to Kelley BB. Look at trade-in and retail values.... Even at excellent with half the miles, you should be able to do much better with a dealer.... Even with add-ons.

But then again, price is relative to desire and how long the dealer is willing to hold on to it.

jvicker
01-11-2012, 07:11 PM
A dealer has a 2008 SM Spyder, 8000 mi. They wanted $12,500 and we got them down to $11,200. Do you think this is a fair price or over-priced for a 4 yr. old Spyder? P.S. We already own 2 Spyders (priceless), but have a need for another.

I guess it depends on the accessories. A lot of extras, sure. Stock, no.

I paid $12K with 2000 miles 3 years ago. :thumbup:

arntufun
01-11-2012, 07:14 PM
IF it says PE edition on the handlebars, buy it !!!! nojoke

These are the first ever Spyders and are worth way more than the rest. If it says PE and gives you a number....... buy it, because they are worth alot. They only produced under 3,800 of the first ever Spyders. :doorag:

I own # 3494 and I won't take less than 18K for it. Alot of people will say different but they are followers of our 2008 year, nothing more.

NancysToy
01-11-2012, 07:16 PM
IF it says PE edition on the handlebars these other people have no clue what they are talking about. :gaah:

These are the first ever Spyders and are worth way more than the rest. If it says PE and gives you a number....... buy it, because they are worth alot. :doorag:
A lot of what? Only Jay Leno's #1 is worth any premium, IMO. Sounds like you are trying to fluff up the market. I guess you're anticipating getting more when you trade yours in on Holly's new RT. :roflblack:

coz
01-11-2012, 07:21 PM
you are a shameless self promoter:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblac k::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::rof lblack::roflblack::thumbup:

arntufun
01-11-2012, 07:28 PM
A lot of what? Only Jay Leno's #1 is worth any premium, IMO. Sounds like you are trying to fluff up the market. I guess your anticipating getting more when you trade yours in on Holly's new RT. :roflblack:

Scotty, you replied to my post before I was done editing it !!! :roflblack::roflblack:

spyder-dude
01-11-2012, 07:55 PM
WHAT! PE means what? Nothing! Don't pay more just because it is a PE! Just my opinion as these are not collectable items!

MikeinGA
01-11-2012, 08:12 PM

I would maybe go $9,500.00 to 10,000 with a 6 month warranty. It's FIVE model years old and why only 8,000 miles. The dealers are hurting. That's IMHO.

Mike

arntufun
01-11-2012, 08:19 PM
WHAT! PE means what? Nothing! Don't pay more just because it is a PE! Just my opinion as these are not collectable items!

Shawn I have to use you as an example now. :roflblack:

killerbee,

The person that wrote this owns a 2011 Spyder. Just remember what I said about the PE's. We are the first and the rest can only follow. :doorag: BTW, I wonder what a first year HD, Shelby Cobra or Camaro is worth these days ??? That is a question you already know the answer to I bet. Good luck.

SpyderSteve
01-11-2012, 08:29 PM
I thought pe's stood for Problem Edition :roflblack:

xpeschon
01-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Scotty, you replied to my post before I was done editing it !!! :roflblack::roflblack:

Still waiting for the editing piece... What else where you going to mention, or do you think you mentioned enough?? I'm thinking so..

X Joe

duglas
01-11-2012, 09:21 PM
IF it says PE edition on the handlebars, buy it !!!! nojoke

These are the first ever Spyders and are worth way more than the rest. If it says PE and gives you a number....... buy it, because they are worth alot. They only produced under 3,800 of the first ever Spyders. :doorag:

I own # 3494 and I won't take less than 18K for it. Alot of people will say different but they are followers of our 2008 year, nothing more.

I think the PE edition are worth at least a little more too.. I just bought # 744 with 596 miles on it completely stock but paid right around what you are looking to pay for that one..

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Randy, there were only approx. 2700 original Shelby Cobra's made and they all don't exist any longer. I have one, but it's fake but I built it so I don't really care. Now my Daytona ???????....Mike....:thumbup:

r1100rider
01-12-2012, 01:23 AM
I paid 13,500 new for a 09 left over last march

seansr917
01-12-2012, 02:11 AM
I paid $12,900 for my 09 phantom with 4k on it. That came with kyrykan grips, foot pegs, lighting system, hindle exhaust.

ARtraveler
01-12-2012, 02:48 AM
Any takers for my 2010 RTS PE #474--I will let it go for $35,000--only 21,000 easy miles. :roflblack:

Firefly
01-12-2012, 02:55 AM
PE isn't worth any more unless it was stored and not ridden. I wouldn't pay anything over $9,000 for it.

Texmac1011
01-12-2012, 07:23 AM
I paid $12 for mine in 09 with 5k miles, stock. Assuming this one is stock, get some aftermarket items thrown in the deal, comfort seat, back rest, windshield, etc. Spyders are cheap compared to the desired mods.

Bob Denman
01-12-2012, 07:51 AM
A lot of what? Only Jay Leno's #1 is worth any premium, IMO. Sounds like you are trying to fluff up the market. I guess your anticipating getting more when you trade yours in on Holly's new RT. :roflblack:

Digging those spurs in a bit Scotty?? :roflblack: :D :thumbup:

Back to the 08...
Hand to hand combat with a dealer can be compared to a game of Liar's Poker... It's what you make them think you might do that's important... Have fun in the trenches with them, but hold your ground at what YOU think might be an appropriate pricing level. Remember though... :lecturef_smilie: The guys is in business to make money and is certianly entitled to a fair return on HIS investment too!

Ga Blue Knight
01-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Hey Guys don't beat up the dealer to much on price otherwise he will get it all back on your service costs!!! He's got bills to pay also. The few dollars difference between most deals is insignificant compared to the desire to "Win" in most auto deals. I have seen folks walk away from a really great vehicle that was at a pretty good price over a $50 difference. Buy the '08 if you really like it, want to get out on the road and have fun. If you want to do financial battles invest in Comercial Real Estate!

Questions
01-12-2012, 08:53 AM
Personally I think that is too much. I picked up an 08 with only 740 miles, plus extras for 11,500. Be advised though, it was from a private seller, not a dealership. I would negotiate some more, or look for a better deal.

arntufun
01-12-2012, 09:00 AM
I think the PE edition are worth at least a little more too.. I just bought # 744 with 596 miles on it completely stock but paid right around what you are looking to pay for that one..

:welcome: to the forum. I want to say congrats to your first post making more sense than some of these guys that have been here for years. :roflblack: I can tell already your a smart cookie !!! :thumbup:

zrc
01-12-2012, 09:57 AM
I think we are missing some details that might help fill in some gaps here.

I bought an '09 in october with 8700 miles on it, and I paid almost 15k, however, it came with many additional options / aftermarket items I wanted.

(Corbin Fleetliners, Touring Windshield, Handlebar Risers, Additional lights, Highway Pegs (Kuriyakyn), Corbin Seat with 1 backrest) Those items added up very quickly to be more than the KBB value (again my opinion). Given then was it also received the 9k servicing before it came to live with me.

I am sure some people might disagree that this was a good or bad buy, but for me, having already had a lot of the optional after market items I wanted, I felt like the price was exceptionally good and I was pleased with my end result.

When the time comes to buy, you can "demand" or hope for KBB value or something near it, however, these are not like Toyota Camry's they are not just laying around being bought, sold, and traded every day. Given that, I think they command a mildly different market. Also given that, I dont think that Arntufun isn't WAY off base in his thinking, he is just an early commenter in the lifecycle of the product. Its similiar to buying toys now and not opening them in the hopes they increase in value, assuming BRP continues to improve, the market grows, and people embrace the spyder as an option to being on a motorcycle the situation COULD exist that his and other PE's would become more valuable, even if they are not now.

3Willie
01-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Accessories are a huge factor in buying or selling a bike, but I have generally found that the seller values the accessories more than the buyer. I have always heard that accessories added are worth 50% or less than what they cost even if in new or like new condition.

Just remember that a good deal is when both people are happy. Buying and selling vehicles is normally a win-lose situation, but we always have a choice to buy or not buy.

Kelley Blue Book is a good place to start since you can get an idea of general value whether dealer trading or outright purchase from an individual. From there, it is always a good idea to get the help and assistance from someone who is impartial and knows the market and vehicle. Ask around for friends that 'do not have a dog in the hunt' and you will at least be informed better. From there, many purchases are emotional, not rational!

ARtraveler
01-12-2012, 12:31 PM
All of the above is pretty good information. Bottom line: it comes down to what you are happy with in the end.

Price of vehicle: will be all over the place depending where, when, and what it has on it. I know of a brand new 2009 Yellow SE5 that the dealer still had for sale last fall. Asking $13,700. I was going to see if its still around this spring in case I decide to get akspyderlady her own. I don't plan on paying the asking price either.

I do realize that the dealer has to make some money to cover overhead and stay in business. I am fortunate in that the dealer is also great when it comes to service.

Accessories: someone said 50% value--around here, its more like 0% value for add ons. In any case--they don't count for much.

Wishing you a good hunt. Let us know what you end up with.

Dragonrider
01-12-2012, 12:56 PM
One more time - it depends on where you are. One of our local dealers has a demo 2009 - bone stock - SM 5 (Red) for $14,999, with 1,800 miles on the clock. (http://www.procaliberlongview.com/showcaseproductdetail.htm?ID=229630&Used=1&).

We had one on CL last fall for $7K, with 11K on the clock...

I paid $12.5K for a brand new 2009 in 2009, added the full BEST and a ton of farkles (Corbin seat, bags, etc), put 4K on it, and sold it for $14K when I bought my 2010 RT.

Bottom line is that it's worth what you pay for it - not what the "market' says. If you think it's too expensive, it is. If not, buy it. :bdh:

cstall
01-12-2012, 05:06 PM
An old car guy once told me "a used car is worth what someone will pay for it today".
Same goes for Spyders, or anything else.
No matter how much you pay, SOMEONE will tell you it was too much.
Hey, it costs $$$ to have fun so just negotiate your best price and go for a ride.
Live Today, Baby!

boborgera
01-12-2012, 05:21 PM
An old car guy once told me "a used car is worth what someone will pay for it today".
Same goes for Spyders, or anything else.
No matter how much you pay, SOMEONE will tell you it was too much.
Hey, it costs $$$ to have fun so just negotiate your best price and go for a ride.
Live Today, Baby!

:agree: Buy it, and forgetabouthit, Life is too short, Enjoy yourself.:yes:

Bob Denman
01-12-2012, 06:00 PM
:agree: Amen...

3Willie
01-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Funny how things are almost always more than we want to pay! Fun and speed are not necessarily inexpensive but you only go around once.

I have found that it is more fun to say-- I am glad I did--
instead of --
I wish I had:yes:

duglas
01-13-2012, 08:25 AM
:welcome: to the forum. I want to say congrats to your first post making more sense than some of these guys that have been here for years. :roflblack: I can tell already your a smart cookie !!! :thumbup:

Thanks. Now the fun begins with mods.