PDA

View Full Version : Knights Inn Durango second thoughts, may want to read

twain
01-11-2012, 06:31 PM
After being made aware of negative reviews by another Spyder ryder, I called the Durango Police Dept to inquire about the safety of the area around 2391 Main Street in Durango. The officer told me to avoid area between 1500 block and 3200 block of Main street as it was not the safest area to leave our bikes. Just a heads up to everyone who booked a room here. May want to reconsider. I am going to cancel my room. Any other riders with motel ideas please advice. The reviews stated that the staff were great but the rooms were outdated and with the police input I am not willing to take the chance with my Spyder. Also the event is going to be held at the fairgrounds in the same area of town FYI.

warp10
01-11-2012, 07:46 PM
I am at the ramada near the end of the bad section, should be ok, I hope.

conroe spyders
01-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Not good! Everything was being booked, we were all together, now this. Appreciate the heads up & you calling the police about it. Leary of fairgrounds being bad area too but what do we do? Have you rebooked at another hotel yet? We plan to research more & cancel this one. Thanks again. Laura

After being made aware of negative reviews by another Spyder ryder, I called the Durango Police Dept to inquire about the safety of the area around 2391 Main Street in Durango. The officer told me to avoid area between 1500 block and 3200 block of Main street as it was not the safest area to leave our bikes. Just a heads up to everyone who booked a room here. May want to reconsider. I am going to cancel my room. Any other riders with motel ideas please advice. The reviews stated that the staff were great but the rooms were outdated and with the police input I am not willing to take the chance with my Spyder. Also the event is going to be held at the fairgrounds in the same area of town FYI.

BLUE MULE
01-11-2012, 08:29 PM
I'm at the Ramada also. I would think with all the riders in town that we would always be looking out for each others Spyders and property. I don't plan to be at my hotel much anyway,and when I'm not, all my stuff will be with me. Not going to fret too much. But, thanks for doing the research, I'll certainly be more wary of my surroundings.

docdoru
01-11-2012, 08:46 PM
CW PERMIT VALID IN COLORADO:

ALABAMA

YES

ALASKA

YES

ARIZONA

YES

ARKANSAS

YES

CALIFORNIA

NO

CONNECTICUT

NO

DELAWARE

YES

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

NO

FLORIDA

YES

GEORGIA

YES

HAWAII

NO

IDAHO

YES

ILLINOIS

NO

INDIANA

YES

IOWA

YES

KANSAS

YES

KENTUCKY

YES

LOUISIANA

YES

MAINE

NO

MARYLAND

NO

MASSACHUSETTS

NO

MICHIGAN

YES

MINNESOTA

NO

MISSISSIPPI

YES

MISSOURI

YES

*No permit required in State of Vermont to carry a concealed handgun.

MONTANA

YES

NEBRASKA

YES

NEVADA

NO

NEW HAMPSHIRE

YES

NEW JERSEY

NO

NEW MEXICO

YES

NEW YORK

NO

NORTH CAROLINA

YES

NORTH DAKOTA

YES

OHIO

NO

OKLAHOMA

YES

OREGON

NO

PENNSYLVANIA

YES

RHODE ISLAND

NO

SOUTH CAROLINA

NO

SOUTH DAKOTA

YES

TENNESSEE

YES

TEXAS

YES

UTAH

YES

VERMONT*

NO

VIRGINIA

NO

WASHINGTON

NO

WEST VIRGINIA

NO

WISCONSIN

YES

WYOMING

YES

twain
01-11-2012, 09:44 PM
OK after talking with some Southern Cruisers tonight was informed that they stayed at the Super 8 in Durango/Purgatory and that it was pretty nice. They stayed there last year so hopefully it is still the same quality.l booked a room there on line for $85/night. The address is 20 Stewart Dr Hwy 160/550 Durango Co 81301. Tele # 970-259-0590. Hopefully this will be a better location and still not too far from the event. Are CW licenses good in Colorado? Did not see it on your list.

conroe spyders
01-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Booked at Super 8 as well. Called & was told their best rate was $111 night, went online & booked it for $85.85 night.

OK after talking with some Southern Cruisers tonight was informed that they stayed at the Super 8 in Durango/Purgatory and that it was pretty nice. They stayed there last year so hopefully it is still the same quality.l booked a room there on line for $85/night. The address is 20 Stewart Dr Hwy 160/550 Durango Co 81301. Tele # 970-259-0590. Hopefully this will be a better location and still not too far from the event. Are CW licenses good in Colorado? Did not see it on your list.

twain
01-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Never mind docdoru I see it now. Thanks

glynnk
01-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Okay, just cancelled my reservation at Knights Inn and booked room at the Super 8 in Durango.

Glynn

RAYYOU
01-11-2012, 11:06 PM
We have booked at Super 8 also. 101.00 a nite with cancelation option.

Firefly
01-12-2012, 02:59 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Might make a change depending on what else I can find. Finally to plans set in stone with HD buds so non-refundable rooms at another place will work out fine

Ken5517 / Wish Again
01-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I went to google maps and used the sadilite view and found 3 baseball fields , a senior high school, parks and rec and what is a very large parking lot which is my guess the staging area that we might be using if this is the correct so called fairgrounds.

all input is welcome, but I am staying there
:popcorn:
you will need to change the address to :Fairgrounds near Durango, CO 81301

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=High+Line+Park,+529+West+20th+Street,+Suite +8W,+New+York,+NY+10011&hl=en&ll=40.744006,-74.00691&spn=0.057615,0.111151&sll=38.623814,-74.297675&sspn=19.194791,39.506836&vpsrc=0&hq=High+Line+Park,+529+West+20th+Street,+Suite+8W, +New+York,+NY+10011&t=m&layer=c&cbll=40.744059,-74.006972&panoid=RqWplFVaoIFX1ADDSCOMXA&cbp=13,359.04,,0,1.76&z=14;source=embed&utm_campaign=en&utm_medium=et&utm_source=en-et-na-us-gns-svn

springcrawler
01-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Okay, just cancelled my reservation at Knights Inn and booked room at the Super 8 in Durango.

Glynn

:( ok just cancelled made new res Super8

i will say i emailed a colleague who works & lives in durango and here is his response to my concerns about the area

As far as bad areas there really aren’t any. That being said to avoid parking issues, hotels located on Main, 2nd or Camino Del Rio between 100 and 1200 blocks are within walking distance to the downtown stores, restaurants and Nightclubs. The lower end motels are between 2000 and 3200 blocks of Main or Camino Del Rio. The Spanish Trails has had some crack heads stay there so I would probably not stay there. All in all like any town there is a few bad apples everywhere :yikes:.

SpyderLady
01-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Doc. Thanks. I carry a Utah license and so I will be good to go with my Sig.....thanks for looking that up and posting

Schnauzer
01-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Doc. Thanks. I carry a Utah license and so I will be good to go with my Sig.....thanks for looking that up and posting

What good news.:yes:. I don't go nowhere with out my handheld.:thumbup:. So if it's pot-shots @pot-heads or crack-shots @ crack-heads. It's all in a night of fun.."Let's Ride".:doorag:

murphybrown
01-18-2012, 09:29 AM
This may not be where to ask this ?...but here goes...After Spyderfest 2012 my plans are to make my way to NovaScotia...since Canada will not allow me across the border with my handgun...any solutions? I know states like CA say..separate gun/ammo...pack separate. But even tho I have entered Canada several times...I have never had my handgun with. Since I will be gone at least 4 - 6 weeks when I head out in April I want to bring my "riding partner". Thanks for the input. YEA finally getting snow. Only downside I choose to leave Ms Spyder in garage..but we sooo need the moisture and those low temps (teens and less) not good without ground cover...we are covered now!!!!

Schnauzer
01-18-2012, 09:48 AM
This may not be where to ask this ?...but here goes...After Spyderfest 2012 my plans are to make my way to NovaScotia...since Canada will not allow me across the border with my handgun...any solutions? I know states like CA say..separate gun/ammo...pack separate. But even tho I have entered Canada several times...I have never had my handgun with. Since I will be gone at least 4 - 6 weeks when I head out in April I want to bring my "riding partner". Thanks for the input. YEA finally getting snow. Only downside I choose to leave Ms Spyder in garage..but we sooo need the moisture and those low temps (teens and less) not good without ground cover...we are covered now!!!!

Well if you have questions or concerns, a simple e-mail or phone call to certain locations along your route, would rule out any doubt.

SpyderDen
01-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Absolutely do not attempt to take a handgun into Canada. Long guns are permitted for hunting purposes, but no handguns. Made that trip about 3 years ago and heard tons of stories of people getting caught. If you are one of the unlucky ones to get a full vehicle search, they will find the gun and ammo with dogs, and you will be in big trouble. I do carry and it was really hard not to have my partner for the 3 months I was in the maritimes.

SpyderDen
01-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Here's a link to Florida's reciprocity states:

http://www.youcancarry.com/florida-ccw-reciprocity/ (http://www.youcancarry.com/florida-ccw-reciprocity/)

docdoru
01-18-2012, 10:05 AM
The officer told me to avoid area between 1500 block and 3200 block of Main street as it was not the safest area to leave our bikes.
We can select from the owners security guards for both hotels parking lots and switch every hour. :thumbup:

waytootall67
01-18-2012, 10:38 AM
DO NOT bring a hand gun into Canada!!!

Firstly this is what can happen if your caught (quote from web) "The police will throw the book at you. As for the sentencing, it depends on the charges and the judge. I believe the current government wanted to make it a mandatory 3 year sentence for illegally carrying a gun."
Secondly we dont want hand guns in Canada.

I have survived on the "mean" streets of Canada for 43 years with out a gun, I am sure you can survive a few weeks.

I might be the only one in Durango not "packing":yikes:

NancysToy
01-18-2012, 11:08 AM
I might be the only one in Durango not "packing":yikes:
No you won't.

Gordy
01-18-2012, 11:40 AM
also dont bring in pepper spray it is also illegal, as well as tasars.I own handguns but will be leaving them at home when we come to durango

dancogan
01-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Bear spray, large size, is OK in Canada.

Firefly
01-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Changed to the ramada--- which is walking distance from Durango Brewing. :-).

Handguns on road trip? To each his own--- but if someone wants my money and spyder that bad---- they can have it. I have an open-wallet policy if someone pulls a gun on me ;-)----Never had to use it. :/)

Bootie
01-18-2012, 01:34 PM
OK, I cancelled my reservation at Knights Inn and got a reservation at The Adobe Inn. Jeez,:( at 2178 Main Ave. I see that the Adobe Inn is in the stretch to be avoided. Oh, well, I'll stick it out as I don't want to change it again.

SteveMac
01-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Changed to the ramada--- which is walking distance from Durango Brewing. :-))

NowTHIS is the best recommendation I have heard yet!
Oooh yeah! ;)

waytootall67
01-23-2012, 10:44 AM
No you won't.

Scotty maybe we should be carrying...

Found this today....
:yikes:
With a crime rate of 62 per one thousand residents, Durango has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 16. Within Colorado, more than 92% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Durango.
Importantly, when you compare Durango to other communities of similar population, then Durango crime rate (violent and property crimes combined) is quite a bit higher than average. Regardless of how Durango does relative to all communities in America of all sizes, when NeighborhoodScout compared it to communities of similar population size, its crime rate per thousand residents stands out as higher than most.
The crime data that NeighborhoodScout used for this analysis are the seven offenses from the uniform crime reports, collected by the FBI from 17,000 local law enforcement agencies, and include both violent and property crimes, combined.
Now let us turn to take a look at how Durango does for violent crimes specifically, and then how it does for property crimes. This is important because the overall crime rate can be further illuminated by understanding if violent crime or property crimes (or both) are the major contributors to the general rate of crime in Durango.
For Durango, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included forcible rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon. According to NeighborhoodScout's analysis of FBI reported crime data, your chance of becoming a victim of one of these crimes in Durango is one in 145.
In addition, NeighborhoodScout found that a lot of the crime that takes place in Durango is property crime. Property crimes that are tracked for this analysis are burglary, larceny over fifty dollars, motor vehicle theft, and arson. In Durango, your chance of becoming a victim of a property crime is one in 18, which is a rate of 55 per one thousand population.
Importantly, we found that Durango has one of the highest rates of motor vehicle theft in the nation according to our analysis of FBI crime data. This is compared to communities of all sizes, from the smallest to the largest. In fact, your chance of getting your car stolen if you live in Durango is one in 322.

ThreeFeet
01-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Well HOT DIGGIDY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!Just what we need a REEEELY good chance of getting nailed by the local mob!!! BRP didn't check into this particular problem. I guess that's understandable who the heck checks about crime when you are going for fun with people WHO DON'T DO THAT KIND OF THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sheeese am now wondering if I want to go and camp. I carry and probably should bring the Shotgun!!!

waytootall67
01-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Might have to circle the SpYders

:spyder2:

:spyder2::pray::spyder2:

Nor-Cal Spyder
01-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Scotty maybe we should be carrying...

Found this today....
:yikes:
With a crime rate of 62 per one thousand residents, Durango has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 16. Within Colorado, more than 92% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Durango.
Importantly, when you compare Durango to other communities of similar population, then Durango crime rate (violent and property crimes combined) is quite a bit higher than average. Regardless of how Durango does relative to all communities in America of all sizes, when NeighborhoodScout compared it to communities of similar population size, its crime rate per thousand residents stands out as higher than most.
The crime data that NeighborhoodScout used for this analysis are the seven offenses from the uniform crime reports, collected by the FBI from 17,000 local law enforcement agencies, and include both violent and property crimes, combined.
Now let us turn to take a look at how Durango does for violent crimes specifically, and then how it does for property crimes. This is important because the overall crime rate can be further illuminated by understanding if violent crime or property crimes (or both) are the major contributors to the general rate of crime in Durango.
For Durango, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included forcible rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon. According to NeighborhoodScout's analysis of FBI reported crime data, your chance of becoming a victim of one of these crimes in Durango is one in 145.
In addition, NeighborhoodScout found that a lot of the crime that takes place in Durango is property crime. Property crimes that are tracked for this analysis are burglary, larceny over fifty dollars, motor vehicle theft, and arson. In Durango, your chance of becoming a victim of a property crime is one in 18, which is a rate of 55 per one thousand population.
Importantly, we found that Durango has one of the highest rates of motor vehicle theft in the nation according to our analysis of FBI crime data. This is compared to communities of all sizes, from the smallest to the largest. In fact, your chance of getting your car stolen if you live in Durango is one in 322.

Really...

Schnauzer
01-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Might have to circle the SpYders

:spyder2::pray::spyder2:

"Put on yer boots tighten yer belt pull that hat down..Gonna be a few wild night's in Durango",
Someone commented about security a few threads back. I'm sure for a small fee per each ryder we can get security. Specially if you make them aware, "They are accountable" Besides, it wouldn't be the 1st time I took turns on watch.:doorag:. Knock'm down:p ,then ask if they lost something in the crowd of Spyders"..

dancogan
01-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Check this out: http://money.usnews.com/money/retirement/best-places-to-retire/colorado/durango. US News named it one of the best places to retire, and says the crime rate is average.

Arr MiHardies
01-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Should have had it in Henderson, NV. The #2 safest city in America per Forbes.

twain
01-23-2012, 09:54 PM
High crime rate and armed Texans in the same place makes for an interesting get together. Maybe tootall i s right and we should circle the Spyders

thehawk
01-23-2012, 11:02 PM
High crime rate and armed Texans in the same place makes for an interesting get together. Maybe tootall i s right and we should circle the Spyders

Isn't the phrase "armed Texans" redundant? I don't think I know any unarmed ones:).

thehawk

twain
01-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Guess you are right Hawk. I stand corrected. Lol

waytootall67
01-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Isn't the phrase "armed Texans" redundant? I don't think I know any unarmed ones:).

thehawk
This unarmed Canuck is going to hang out with y-all...eh!:2thumbs:

Motorcycle Mama & Papa
01-26-2012, 10:04 PM
We are going to trust that the Knights Inn area will be okay. BTW, what do we have insurance for? MM:)

Firefly
01-27-2012, 02:59 AM
Geese. Little paranoia out here I see. Many of us end up hanging in the motel parking lots till the wee hours talking and drinking anyway--- so we can keep an eye on things. 😉

I'm not worried in the least.

Lamonster
01-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Geese. Little paranoia out here I see. Many of us end up hanging in the motel parking lots till the wee hours talking and drinking anyway--- so we can keep an eye on things. 

:agree:
First off there is always someone looking at the Spyders so it draws too much attention for an easy crime with that many Spyders there. Take off your gps or anything else that you're concerned about and lock them up when you go to your room. I have been cross country many times and one time I did have some tools stolen when I was by myself and parked in a bad spot and forgot to lock my trailer. :banghead: That's the only time I've ever had an issue and a gun, knife or big stick wouldn't have helped me then seeing I never saw who took it. I figure if nothing happened at the Chicago owners event I'll do just fine at the Durango owners event. :doorag:

NancysToy
01-27-2012, 08:48 AM
First off there is always someone looking at the Spyders so it draws too much attention for an easy crime with that many Spyders there. Take off your gps or anything else that you're concerned about and lock them up when you go to your room. I have been cross country many times and one time I did have some tools stolen when I was by myself and parked in a bad spot and forgot to lock my trailer. :banghead: That's the only time I've ever had an issue and a gun, knife or big stick wouldn't have helped me then seeing I never saw who took it. I figure if nothing happened at the Chicago owners event I'll do just fine at the Durango owners event. :doorag:
+1

Motorcycle Mama & Papa
01-27-2012, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE=Lamonster;411019]:agree:

:bowdown:

waytootall67
01-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Geese. Little paranoia out here I see. Many of us end up hanging in the motel parking lots till the wee hours talking and drinking anyway--- so we can keep an eye on things. 

I think I am going to get along with this group just fine.:D:2thumbs::cheers:

johnwinslow
01-27-2012, 08:22 PM
if you come to Maine you will not need a gun or a knife, but you may need a fork and spoon, they are just for looks tho, we eat lobsta' and corn, and clams, and, hotdogs, and lobsta' rolls, an Italian sandwigess' with our hands the fork is to keep your buddies hand out of your french fries and the spoon is for icecream which should eat at least twice a day.:ohyea:

SteveMac
01-27-2012, 10:45 PM

Amen bro
Durango 10 to 1 over Chi-town.
Heck. 100 to 1 !!

hotglue
02-03-2012, 05:35 PM
FB and I have traveled by bike ALL over the US and Canada by ourselves.... Have NEVER had an issue... and we have stayed at some places that I wouldn't go back to in hind sight..Ask FB about the night we spent in a brothel... well we didn't know that piece of information til we were in the room and starting to dry out from riding through Hurricane Opel....LOl.

There are going to be so many Spyder folks there, well ya know what they say about safety in numbers...LOL
I ain't skeeeered.

Lamonster
02-03-2012, 05:45 PM
FB and I have traveled by bike ALL over the US and Canada by ourselves.... Have NEVER had an issue... and we have stayed at some places that I wouldn't go back to in hind sight..Ask FB about the night we spent in a brothel... well we didn't know that piece of information til we were in the room and starting to dry out from riding through Hurricane Opel....LOl.

There are going to be so many Spyder folks there, well ya know what they say about safety in numbers...LOL
I ain't skeeeered.

:2thumbs:
http://www.bigbikeriders.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=590&d=1272582420