PDA

View Full Version : 30t. Sprocket

r1100rider
01-10-2012, 11:35 PM
Ok I'm sure everyone wil jump all over me again for this ,But how many SM owners would buy a steel 30t sprocket . Another member and I have a machinist that has made all the cad programs to build but unless we order 50+ it will be very expensive. If we order 50+ we can get cost down to 350 or so. Remember it won't work with the semi-auto

docdoru
01-11-2012, 04:24 AM
One. ;)

Freddy
01-11-2012, 07:52 AM
I agree with the idea of the 30t sprocket and used the MMG one until it wore out, but I no longer feel that the small benefits gained in lower RPM & fuel consumption justify the expense when considering increased (but unknown) clutch wear and difficulty when starting off on hills. So all things considered, I've concluded from experience that BRP has the ratio about right. What it really needs is another (OD) gear to get desired result IMHO.

Don't mean to put a dampner on your work rider - hope you get a good response. If lower RPM and improved fuel economy is what you want then 30t will deliver

Bob Denman
01-11-2012, 07:56 AM
R1100,
:thumbup: for the legwork! :firstplace: I hope that you can find a way to make this project successful! :2thumbs:
(Old, slow ESSIE ryder; so I can't use one...)

docdoru
01-11-2012, 07:59 AM
Don't mean to put a dampner on your work rider - hope you get a good response. If lower RPM and improved fuel economy is what you want then 30t will deliver
In my case, lower RPM (about 1,5K @ 130 miles/h) for the Salt Flats. The clutch problem was solved with a Lock Up Clutch ;)

r1100rider
01-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Freddy Yes I agree there should be a 6sp in the spyder I disagree that there is much difference in take off I can easily take off with my hand off the gas remember the trans has ratio's so the 10% or so differance the sprocket makes is much less in first gear. As far as gas miliage goes it would't pay off on that alone it makes about 2/10 a gal per fill up on our 2 RS'S, but 400 rpm drop = 24,000 turns of the motor per hour or abour 4,000,000 turns in 10,000 miles that is quite a bit of engine wear on an expensive to rebuild engine. Remember these will be steel like the stock one not aluminium like the MMG one. If in doubt try riding along at highway speeds and then drop back 400 rpm and feel the difference it makes in the pace of the motor

DragonLorD
01-11-2012, 04:05 PM
30t sprocket makes a lot of sense in every way
$350,- is way too much. I am not arguing , I can see where you coming from.
Maybe I am going to sound silly now but it might be a lot less of a challenge to get 100 of us together if price drops to $200,- .
For $200,- I am in

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-11-2012, 11:36 PM
INTERESTED, BUT NOT COMMITTED YET....MIKE....A GUY IN GERMANY WAS LOOKING FOR ONE AFEW MONTHS BACK.....:thumbup:

Wattsmyname
01-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Thank you Sir!!! I am glad someone has continued this since I could not get Industrial Specialty to build a 30 tooth sprocket. The Mels Monster Garage I have is working great, I had put my Spyder on Craigslist since the thing was so annoying screaming down the road but with the 30 tooth it was a Much improved machine. My Kawasaki KLR650 sounds less stressed at 70 than the Spyder, maybe I have ridden too many low RPM miles on a BMW. Out of all the Spyder owners, I cannot believe there are not at least 300 that see the major benefit that lowering engine RPM has on their engine. Thanks again for your continued effort

r1100rider
01-19-2012, 03:18 PM
So I guess that there are to many SE riders out there to sell enough of these to make a production run

DragonLorD
01-19-2012, 03:30 PM
So I guess that there are to many SE riders out there to sell enough of these to make a production run

And this means what?
YES?
NO?
...what has SE to do with it?
:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

r1100rider
01-19-2012, 03:33 PM
the SE's nanny wont allow the gearing change with out causing a random down shift , if i dont get enough people to commit the price will be way to high so the answer is still maybe

DragonLorD
01-19-2012, 03:46 PM
the SE's nanny wont allow the gearing change with out causing a random down shift , if i dont get enough people to commit the price will be way to high so the answer is still maybe

Sounds strange, I thought it's down to RPM/Speed ratio, well, let's be it
Looks like pond is full of SEs then Pal, there is still plenty of SMs though but hard to guess how many see this great benefit?
Good Luck with this project, :thumbup:

chris56
03-17-2012, 01:55 AM

..why does it not work on a SE modell ??

r1100rider
03-17-2012, 12:35 PM
..why does it not work on a SE modell ??

the gearing change makes the wheel speed sensors and engine rpm's not match what the brain thinks and makes the nanny thinks it needs to shift , Im working on a plan B for a lower price to produce you guy's will be the first to know if I can get one made at a more affordable price [i'm sure everyones opinion on a price will be different what price seems reasonable to you?]

Wattsmyname
05-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Install that sprocket, mine is working great and the Spyder is so much nicer to ride. I do check the bolt for tightness fairly often but would do that with the stock sprocket also. Can Am could easily offer this as an accessory for a fair price but I guess there isn't anyone listening. I am glad R1100Rider is giving us some hope, I had no luck with Industrial Specialty.

r1100rider any up dates with this? Put me down for one. I have had a MMG 30 tooth for two years now but have been scared to install it due to the issue it has caused for everyone else. Its dam near brand new and I can send it to you if your machinist can use it for a reference for building the new steel ones. Let me know.