PDA

View Full Version : Some Dzus tips

Neez
01-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Replacing Torx fasteners with Dzus fasteners speeds up panel removal considerably. For most plastic panels, the 14 mm length is correct, but where thicker plastic is encountered, such as on the rear wheel splash panel, 16 mm Dzus are better. True, 14 mm can be used on the splash by bending the female clip, but it takes a while to get the bend just right, and, while panel removal is always quick, replacement can be hit-or-miss, sometimes quickly done, sometimes a bit of a struggle, as the reach of the male part is minimal. Using 16 mm Dzus solves this, but at a cost. They are listed as "special" Dzus at Kurveygirl.com, and at $6 each, are twice the cost of 14mm. Also, for some reason, Julie does not ship the 16mm's with a clip, which must be paid for separately at 75 cents each. Also, the 16's are only available in silver finish and only with D-ring heads.
Another place that 16 mm Dzus can be used to advantage is on the bottom plate that has to be removed during oil changes. I know lots of ryders simply remove this panel and leave it off, but I often ryde where there are fallen branches on the road and have had wiring snagged before. Thinking of my GPS wires, I decided to keep the bottom plate on.
When using 14mm Dzus on outside body panels, I like to use the black, button-head design. These are neater than D-rings and look very much like Torx. They are designed to remove panels with a quarter-turn of a T27 Torx screwdriver, but I prefer to use either a 5/32 inch or 4mm Allen key. These tools are small enough to slip in a pocket so you always have one with you.

3Willie
01-07-2012, 10:04 AM
I have been thinking about converting over to these fasterners so appreciate your insights. Would hope that future Spyders come out with these in place for all maintenance areas.

Yol Bolsun
01-10-2012, 08:50 PM
I like this idea. Thanks for posting. I see a lot of potential for these.

Jesse
03-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Replacing Torx fasteners with Dzus fasteners speeds up panel removal considerably. For most plastic panels, the 14 mm length is correct, but where thicker plastic is encountered, such as on the rear wheel splash panel, 16 mm Dzus are better. True, 14 mm can be used on the splash by bending the female clip, but it takes a while to get the bend just right, and, while panel removal is always quick, replacement can be hit-or-miss, sometimes quickly done, sometimes a bit of a struggle, as the reach of the male part is minimal. Using 16 mm Dzus solves this, but at a cost. They are listed as "special" Dzus at Kurveygirl.com, and at $6 each, are twice the cost of 14mm. Also, for some reason, Julie does not ship the 16mm's with a clip, which must be paid for separately at 75 cents each. Also, the 16's are only available in silver finish and only with D-ring heads.
Another place that 16 mm Dzus can be used to advantage is on the bottom plate that has to be removed during oil changes. I know lots of ryders simply remove this panel and leave it off, but I often ryde where there are fallen branches on the road and have had wiring snagged before. Thinking of my GPS wires, I decided to keep the bottom plate on.
When using 14mm Dzus on outside body panels, I like to use the black, button-head design. These are neater than D-rings and look very much like Torx. They are designed to remove panels with a quarter-turn of a T27 Torx screwdriver, but I prefer to use either a 5/32 inch or 4mm Allen key. These tools are small enough to slip in a pocket so you always have one with you.

Neez

I purchased the Dzuz hardware you mention above and have found that I need to widen the notch in the body panel where the clips(female) slide on or attach, otherwise the clips do not slide deep enough into the panel. This is on a 08 RS. The panels are already notched for the factory clips but this notch is not wide enough for these Dzuz clips. Just wondering if there are different width clips?

Neez
03-02-2012, 10:40 PM
NeezI purchased the Dzuz hardware you mention above and have found that I need to widen the notch in the body panel where the clips(female) slide on or attach, otherwise the clips do not slide deep enough into the panel. This is on a 08 RS. The panels are already notched for the factory clips but this notch is not wide enough for these Dzuz clips. Just wondering if there are different width clips?41428There are no different width clips, Jesse. You will have to do a bit of minor surgery to the Spyder to widen some of the notches. I used a pair of diagonal pliers to nibble the plastic notches a bit wider or a Dremel grinder on metal notches. Often you can get away with just shifting the clip around a bit, say by dropping one side of the clip into the metal notch, sometimes this will bring the holes into line enough. Don't worry overmuch about the clip slipping off, as they grip tightly. I have never lost a clip off my Spyder yet or had one slip out of position once lined up.

Jesse
03-02-2012, 11:07 PM
I just thought it might be a good note for someone that thinks this job is just plug and play.

1VENOM
03-03-2012, 02:00 AM
:popcorn::popcorn:

fastfraser
03-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Great idea with the bottom panel.:thumbup:

Yol Bolsun
03-03-2012, 11:11 AM
I've been watching this thread and have to ask, are there any dzon'ts?

Littlebadwolf
03-04-2012, 08:45 AM
I've got a dozen of the 14mm's...how many 16mm's does it require? Curious minds want to know:doorag:

Jesse
03-04-2012, 09:02 AM
I used 7 for the rear splash panel. This is on an rs.

hrbeta
03-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Thanks for this great idea 👍

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TuckMiddle
03-04-2012, 09:13 AM
I think this is a great idea. Has anyone actually made a list of what is required for the RTSM5 (AC)?

I go to the web site and it just makes my head hurt. Kinda like a Rubic cube for rivets. :banghead:

Hopefully someone who's done this has a list of required/nice to have with #/type and length. Or maybe it's here and I can't find the list. Also, does Fastenal carry these? There is a big place in Woodstock, GA, down the road a piece and another in Cartersville. Don't know about their pricing either.

Thanks in advance.

Tuck

SpyderFun
03-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Already have an email into Julie @ KurveyGirl asking about a RT-S Kit & what it has in it.

So until I hear back.....
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

SpyderFun
03-06-2012, 05:43 PM
UPDATE: The post below is from Julie at KurveyGirl not from me. I'm just the messenger..... Sorry for the confusion!

Hi, we have not developed a Dzus kit for the Can-Am Spyder RT, or the RS and GS for that fact.
- The RS and GS riders have been using the 14mm working length dzus bolts with sucess.
- We would expect the same 14mm to work for the RT, but again we have not confirmed this application.

We are planning to develop kits for the Can-Am Spyder in the near future. Please check back with us in a few months to see what we might have come up wtih.

KG/Tech Support

mcaccamise
01-20-2013, 07:11 AM
That is an excellent idea to replace those little plastic pins thanks for the info the Dzus fasteners are a much better mounting hardware for quick release panels now getting a kit specific for each modle would be great.

1VENOM
01-22-2013, 12:44 PM
That would be a nice kit. Let us know if you move on that.:thumbup:

Cavman
03-03-2013, 08:37 AM
You might check with Aircraft Spruce & Specialty to see what the carry in Dzus fasteners?

mooneych
04-13-2013, 09:33 PM
I used the D-Ring 14mm all the way around, and while I agree about the issues with the rear splashpan, its not a panel that requires unscheduled removal. I ride into D.C. everyday, and haven't had any issues with anyone messing with the bike. The ability to strip the all tupperware in under 2 minutes is priceless!

One issue I do have is that the plastic washers that hold the Dzus "captive" keep getting lost. I need to find a more permanent solution. Any ideas?? :popcorn::popcorn:

stormtrooper
04-14-2013, 08:11 AM
Why are there 2 washers for every fastner ? :dontknow: Do you have to put one on each side of your body panel to protect it ?

ataDude
04-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Maybe you should re-title this thread...

"Dzus and Don'ts" ;)

Arr MiHardies
04-14-2013, 08:26 PM
I'd really like to hear peoples experiences of this on the RT...

mooneych
07-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Why are there 2 washers for every fastner ? :dontknow: Do you have to put one on each side of your body panel to protect it ?

The washers keep the fastener attached to the panel. This way, they are "captive".

This also means (theoretically) that you won't lose them.

Chupaca
07-26-2013, 10:50 AM
thanks for the info will look into it. Could use them on some panels...:thumbup:

carbco
11-12-2013, 02:57 PM
I too would recommend contacting Aircraft Spruce or Chief Aircraft for the Dzus fasteners. They carry all sizes and lengths