PDA

View Full Version : Right-Hand Only Spyder?

nsswitzya
01-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Hello – I’m new to Spyderlovers (a Spydertalk user referred me here as a result of the post below on a Spydertalk forum

Here’s most of the post that wound up leading me to Spyderlovers from Spydertalk:

I was wondering if anyone has experience converting a Spyder’s left-handed electronic shifting to something else – A foot switch, perhaps? ( And how might this affect one’s ability to get into reverse? I’ve been riding road motorcycles for many years, but have lost the use of my left hand due to a stroke last year (my left arm is still weak, my left hand/fingers/thumb still don’t work work (a.k.a, paralyzed). My Venture and CBR1000 sadly sit in the garage, since I still don’t have a clutch hand or a left arm strong enough to ride 2 wheels [I even had to trade my upright bicycle for a recumbent] – I hope someday a Spyder will get me riding again, but I don’t know enough about them to know how to approach modifying one so that I can shift {there must be a way…?} (Spyders downshift on their own below a certain RPM as I understand it?)

I suppose that beyond shifting challenges, an even better general question might be, “Are Spyders a viable one-arm/ handed ride?”

Thanks,
Nsswitzya(Dennis)

ARtraveler
01-06-2012, 12:10 AM
Let me be the first to say :welcome: You will find lots of good information here.

You might check out the enabled SL forum for starters.

DragonLorD
01-06-2012, 12:35 AM
:welcome::welcome::welcome:
Answer to your question is yes, there are guys who just mount whole shifter from left to the right handlebar and some vice versa right throtle to the left. Haven't heard anyone transforming SE5 shifter to foot operational though.
If the idea of throttle and shifter to be both right hand operated, I can imagine that moving shifter to the right handlebar and transforming throttle to left hand side operated pedal or " Scroll Peg" would be a next option. Although there is no manufacturer for either pedal or scroll peg, these are just set ups I see on rallies and are pretty simple looking ideas. Just get a local precise engineer enthusiast who will do it for you for cost of material and happiness from another achievement .
Let us know how you getting on, post some pics so it is helpful for others in future and I would love to wish you that this time next year you'll be fully recovered and be giving your set up to some else in need as a gift.
Ryde safe

fastfraser
01-06-2012, 09:18 AM
:welcome: Moving the paddle shifter can be done ,as for a foot shifter and reverse I don't know. You will still need a fair amount of strength in your left hand and arm to hold onto the handle bars as well to steer the Spyder. I know there is power steering that helps in slow speeds but it diminishes the faster you go . Any kind of a technical road or a sudden turn will be a challenge. I hope you can adapt to the Spyder as many have .

Lamonster
01-06-2012, 09:22 AM
:welcome:
There are options and folks on this board are very creative in making the Spyder work for them. :doorag:

Pennyrick
01-06-2012, 11:40 AM
My wife, Penny has a paralyzed right arm that she lost the use of in a motorcycle accident back in '79. We crested a hill and a large truck was in our lane. The driver, (who was retarded and unlicensed), ran my bike off the road but since we rode staggered with me on the outside and her on the inside, he hit her before she could get off the road.

The result was nearly a year in the hospital and the nerves for C-5 and C-6 were avulsed from her spinal column.
So she only has the use of the hand but no arm strength. When she could ride again, we set her up on a Honda 400 but even that was too much for her.

Then we triked a Burgman and with a slight rake on the front end it allowed her to steer it but she fatigued easily. Then we discovered the Spyder.

She is now on her second RT and we can comfortably handle 300 miles a day without difficulty.
If you can solve the relocation of the shifter, steering should not be a problem for you.

JJW SpyderRider
01-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Hello – I’m new to Spyderlovers (a Spydertalk user referred me here as a result of the post below on a Spydertalk forum

Here’s most of the post that wound up leading me to Spyderlovers from Spydertalk:

I was wondering if anyone has experience converting a Spyder’s left-handed electronic shifting to something else – A foot switch, perhaps? ( And how might this affect one’s ability to get into reverse? I’ve been riding road motorcycles for many years, but have lost the use of my left hand due to a stroke last year (my left arm is still weak, my left hand/fingers/thumb still don’t work work (a.k.a, paralyzed). My Venture and CBR1000 sadly sit in the garage, since I still don’t have a clutch hand or a left arm strong enough to ride 2 wheels [I even had to trade my upright bicycle for a recumbent] – I hope someday a Spyder will get me riding again, but I don’t know enough about them to know how to approach modifying one so that I can shift {there must be a way…?} (Spyders downshift on their own below a certain RPM as I understand it?)

I suppose that beyond shifting challenges, an even better general question might be, “Are Spyders a viable one-arm/ handed ride?”

Thanks,
Nsswitzya(Dennis)

I'm glad you found the site and :welcome:.

Guys help me out, at Spyderfest '11 there was a woman on an RS and I think her screen name was "boots" or that was what she was call at the dinner because of her colorfull boots? Only having one arm did not seem to slow her down one bit. She was right out there drag racing, :opps: oops I mean Performance testing, and keeping up well with everyone else. I did not get a good look at her setup but I thnk she used her foot for the throttle. Her setup would have been opposite yours but if you can figure out how to get the shifter to the right side maybe the throttle could be moved to make room.

Good luck.

JJW on SpyderTalk.com

Marker
01-06-2012, 03:00 PM
:welcome: You have come to the right place for all things :spyder2::ani29: Spyder and for finding answers.

May I suggest contacting a site sponsor called http://www.isciride.com/ they are a machine shop that makes great spyder acc and maybe they can help you modify your spyder for your needs.

SpyderAnn01
01-07-2012, 01:09 AM
:welcome: Boots has a left footed gas pedal which was installed by a company that does handicap auto conversions. If you move the shifted to the right and add the gas pedal you'd be all set. Boots will be at Spyderfest again this year so you can check out her setup there.

prmurat
02-18-2012, 01:38 PM
I can't really answer to the side change of gearshift etc but by experience (bracchio plexus injury with no more radial nerve on the right) I can tell you that riding a Spyder (I have a RT) with only was strong arm is possible if demanding... I have only problems in twisties where my valid arm is tired after a few hours... But it is a good exercise : now I look like a crab with a bigger left arm than the ridiculously small right... On another note: owning a Spyder opened the door to a strange feeling: I hate my Spyder when I do not ride it, standing in the middle of 19 other bikes I cannot really ride anymore ... And the non choice really make me mad (the Mc accident was not my fault!).... The minute I ride it, I am in love thinking that even as a bike it's good (less glitches would be great!).

mike3069
03-25-2012, 03:26 PM
As others have stated, it should be possible for you to ride with one only arm. You may not need the semi-auto however. I have moved the clutch to the right side on my spyder due to nerve damage in my left arm. I also shift the manual tranny with a klictronics electric shift system controlled by two buttons located on the clutch lever. I do it all with my right hand, throttle, clutch and shifting. This is because I also have a prosthetic left leg. In your case the manual shifter setup could still be used, only requiring the cluth to be relocated (one nice thing about no front brake lever). PM me with any detailed questions and I'll be glad to answer them.

Mike

pushrod243
03-25-2012, 07:12 PM
I too ride a manual bike with a paralyzed left arm. I used a Brembo radial master on theright to control the clutch and a banjo bolt brake light switch to allow me to start the bike after I put it in reverse. I have had two RS's fixed this way the first had 38K and the new bike just turned 14k. I like the ability to shift it and the tranny is so smooth that just rolling off the throttle I can shift without the clutch if I feel like it.

I have a two wheel bike I used to ride some before the Spyder but I am much more comfortable on the Spyder.

1ArmCraftsman
05-13-2012, 08:15 PM
I've just gotten my own spyder and I had it converted so that all the controls are on the right side. BRP actually makes the accessories to do that, granted I've got the SE5, with the paddle shifter. Not sure about the manual though.
So far I'm having a blast! Takes a little getting used to but thats to be expected. I used to drive bikes, how I lost my left arm.
Just ask your local dealer.
Enjoy.

SpyderAnn01
05-13-2012, 08:23 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: on getting your Spyder set up for your needs. Enjoy.

CyncySpyder
05-13-2012, 09:00 PM
So Yes, it can and has been done:thumbup: Good Luck :2thumbs: 4619146192And if I remember correctly, she rode ALL THE WAY FROM MICHIGAN:yes: