PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoat or leave alone???

dannymax
01-05-2012, 12:52 PM
The chrome on these pegs is in real nice condition, and I'm not against a little 'tasteful bling' but should I flat black powder them and allow them to disappear into the bodywork, or leave them chrome?

They are angled backward intentionally, seems to provide better foot position that way.

What would you do? :dontknow:

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo247/danu3247/The Web Crawler/100_2734.jpg

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo247/danu3247/The Web Crawler/100_2733.jpg

arntufun
01-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Hey Danny, Now I know whos house I'm going to if I need to borrow a lift. :firstplace: That is nice, I have to lay on the cold concrete.

My opinion on your question is powder coat them. But don't stop there, take all the silver off and have them done as well. Mine is at the powder coater right now, but I'm getting upset because it should have been done last week. :mad:

Your Spyder, you decide. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
01-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Hiya Danny!
I think that they might look better in flat black also... :2thumbs:
But that's just me... :opps:

stevedfive
01-05-2012, 01:02 PM
I powder coated all the silver. Looks great!
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?30525-Check-this-out!&p=347289#post347289

dannymax
01-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Hey Danny, Now I know whos house I'm going to if I need to borrow a lift. :firstplace: That is nice, I have to lay on the cold concrete.

My opinion on your question is powder coat them. But don't stop there, take all the silver off and have them done as well. Mine is at the powder coater right now, but I'm getting upset because it should have been done last week. :mad:

Your Spyder, you decide. :thumbup:

Been there Randy, cold concrete, gravel driveway during a snowstorm, ice....you name it! Now that I'm all crippled up with 'ritis' I buy the lift....something bass-akwards about that!! :dontknow:

Heck yea, you're only a skip away, bring it over anytime....long's the compressor keeps working we'll get 'er up in the air!!
:thumbup:
Oh, and there's a Modine 25K btu suspended gas heater blasting down on the lift!! :ohyea:

dannymax
01-05-2012, 01:15 PM
I powder coated all the silver. Looks great!
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?30525-Check-this-out!&p=347289#post347289

Very nice!! I'm leaning toward the P/C too, just seems to work better on a Spyder.

mowin
01-05-2012, 03:21 PM
i like the p/c also. How much dose it cost? I realise it depends on the size of the item.
Like the rear rim. Or the handle bars????

dannymax
01-05-2012, 03:35 PM
i like the p/c also. How much dose it cost? I realise it depends on the size of the item.
Like the rear rim. Or the handle bars????

I was pretty sure you would lean toward the black! ;)

I don't have a price yet but the P/C guy is a buddy so I'm sure it will be reasonable, $30 - $40 maybe with bolts & washers? :dontknow:

spyder-dude
01-05-2012, 03:42 PM
I think if you do those powder coated flat black also do the other items that are silver. I had my floor boards powder coated recently....need to install them soon. What kind of lift is that? How much does something like that cost? I am thinking I need to start looking for one of those as I have a bunch of mods and it would be much easier working on the spyder than the concrete garage floor.

SteveMac
01-05-2012, 04:06 PM
The chrome on these pegs is in real nice condition, and I'm not against a little 'tasteful bling' but should I flat black powder them and allow them to disappear into the bodywork, or leave them chrome?

They are angled backward intentionally, seems to provide better foot position that way.

What would you do? :dontknow:

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo247/danu3247/The Web Crawler/100_2734.jpg

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo247/danu3247/The Web Crawler/100_2733.jpg

I like the powdercoat look myself!

Also, do you have a link to that lift?? VERY NICE!!! :bowdown::bowdown:

CyncySpyder
01-05-2012, 04:12 PM
and this is just my opinion, and I don't know if you ryde in wet or inclement conditions, but BLING covered with mud, dirt or scuff marks isn't BLING, so I'd add my vote to the Powder Coating :thumbup:

mowin
01-05-2012, 04:20 PM
WHAT...MUD??? Never..ask randy:roflblack::roflblack:

DragonLorD
01-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Where are you people digging your problems?:chat:
It's just fascinating:gaah:

This reminds of one plain old joke.
2 Men in Gents
One goes for #1 and the other is just standing there and scratching his head.
A- what's up?
B- I don't know.
A- ????
B- I don't know if I go for #1 or #2 ?
A- so just sit in and wait what'll happen then

....if you need to ask how to customise your bike , you don't customise then!

arntufun
01-05-2012, 07:02 PM
He was just asking for an opinion Dragon, thats all.

5PYD3R
01-05-2012, 07:31 PM
I agree with arntufun, powdercoat everything! Mine is going to be done soon too. (still riding into January in Michigan!!) Even my TBR dual pipes are getting the powder treatment!

DragonLorD
01-05-2012, 08:00 PM
He was just asking for an opinion Dragon, thats all.

There I said it :popcorn:

boborgera
01-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Powdercoat.:thumbup:

dannymax
01-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Where are you people digging your problems?:chat:
It's just fascinating:gaah:

This reminds of one plain old joke.
2 Men in Gents
One goes for #1 and the other is just standing there and scratching his head.
A- what's up?
B- I don't know.
A- ????
B- I don't know if I go for #1 or #2 ?
A- so just sit in and wait what'll happen then

....if you need to ask how to customise your bike , you don't customise then!

I'm with you there Dragon....not to worry tho, I'm not big on asking anyone how I should do something....in fact any subsequent instructions will probly send me in the other direction....just ask my wife!! :ohyea:

The lift is a Harbor Freight air motorcycle lift, it wasn't wide enough but simply adding a couple longer pipes and the extensions slide out to Spyder width. Think it cost about $350, extensions were maybe another $200 or so, but for some reason H/F no longer carries them....no idea why? :dontknow:

boborgera
01-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Leave alone. :thumbup:

dannymax
01-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Leave alone. :thumbup:

Great idea bob!! :thumbup:

Powdercoat.:thumbup:

Another great idea!! :thumbup:

I'll tell you this....I got it narrowed down to those two choices!! :roflblack:

DragonLorD
01-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Great idea bob!! :thumbup:

Another great idea!! :thumbup:

I'll tell you this....I got it narrowed down to those two choices!! :roflblack:

See , and it didn't even took 20 replies, Pal:roflblack:
Thankfully because more than 20 inputs would make us Women actually:yikes:
.....at least we had a bit of laugh
You know what?
If you powder coat something else , get it done in same batch, leave it otherwise, how about that?:2thumbs:

dannymax
01-05-2012, 09:51 PM
See , and it didn't even took 20 replies, Pal:roflblack:
Thankfully because more than 20 inputs would make us Women actually:yikes:
.....at least we had a bit of laugh
You know what?
If you powder coat something else , get it done in same batch, leave it otherwise, how about that?:2thumbs:

Once again we agree....this is getting weird! :spyder2:

Problem is I can't comply....if I sent everything in I wanted powdered, I'd have to sell my Spyder to pay for it!! :gaah:

Besides, flat black is pretty forgiving. :pray:

DragonLorD
01-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Once again we agree....this is getting weird! :spyder2:

Problem is I can't comply....if I sent everything in I wanted powdered, I'd have to sell my Spyder to pay for it!! :gaah:

Besides, flat black is pretty forgiving. :pray:

I can feel you Pal,
I hear that best time to powder coat in around Columbia County will be this time next year:thumbup:- does it sound like a solution to you?:clap:

zrc
01-05-2012, 10:00 PM
In my opinion I would go with powder coating. While I think they look good as is, given that you have a narrow look at the spyder, when seeing their chromish finish against the less chromed out other hardware, I think it detracts from the look. So whatever you do, I would try to make all the hardware uniform.

Just a thought.

dannymax
01-05-2012, 10:17 PM
I can feel you Pal,
I hear that best time to powder coat in around Columbia County will be this time next year:thumbup:- does it sound like a solution to you?:clap:

It does!!:agree:

pro10is
01-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Chrome is for RT's. Powdercoat.

Yol Bolsun
01-06-2012, 12:11 AM
My $.02... Black. Just got my ISOs from Kuryankin in black.

dannymax
01-06-2012, 07:25 AM
My $.02... Black. Just got my ISOs from Kuryankin in black.

I had originally planned on some Kuryakin footrests but had these chrome ones so, being frugal and all......

Then a guy buys my FJR last night and there's a little extra capital floating around so it's back to Plan A....maybe even some little footboards if I can find the right ones. Kuryakin makes some nice, already black, stuff! :ohyea:

Maybe use a little of that fresh coin to buy a new radiator for my truck.....found out yesterday that it's leaking!! If it isn't one thing.........:banghead:

Bob Denman
01-06-2012, 07:37 AM
okay; What's the concensus??? And who's got to pay for it?? :shocked: :dontknow:

boborgera
01-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Powdercoat,:thumbup:

dannymax
01-06-2012, 08:25 AM
okay; What's the concensus??? And who's got to pay for it?? :shocked: :dontknow:

Well Bob, we flipped for it and guess who lost!! :sour:

Bob Denman
01-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Sometimes being a good loser can actually turn you into a long-term winner! :2thumbs:

ezduzit
01-06-2012, 08:44 AM
I'm having mine powder coated from top to bottem as we speak!!!!! :yes: Photos to come!!! :ohyea: Project 2012 in process!!!!

dannymax
01-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Sometimes being a good loser can actually turn you into a long-term winner! :2thumbs:

Yes, yes it can....with the right amount of tears & whines one can reap big dividends!! :spyder: :thumbup:

Bob Denman
01-06-2012, 11:12 AM
:2thumbs::thumbup::firstplace:

mowin
01-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Yes, yes it can....with the right amount of tears & whines one can reap big dividends!! :spyder: :thumbup:

How do ya think I got my Spyder??? :roflblack:

boborgera
01-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Buff Aluminum.:thumbup:

dannymax
01-06-2012, 02:29 PM
How do ya think I got my Spyder??? :roflblack:

Hahaha, think that's the way a lot of us got our Spyders!! :ohyea:

coz
01-06-2012, 05:48 PM
check out all the home made floorboards in the mods section, they are cheap and fairly easy to make and look pretty good. unless you want to spend a pile of money( not that theres anything wrong with that). you seem like a very capable person:thumbup::popcorn:

dannymax
01-06-2012, 08:14 PM
check out all the home made floorboards in the mods section, they are cheap and fairly easy to make and look pretty good. unless you want to spend a pile of money( not that theres anything wrong with that). you seem like a very capable person:thumbup:

Great minds coz!! I was out in the shop this afternoon cutting up pieces of cardboard for my mock-ups! :clap:

Think I'll move them a little farther forward, outside the air dam wings (or whatever they are)....being 6' 5" I need to stretch pretty far forward to work the kinks out. Also thinking the Street Magic brackets and links will give 2 good strong mounting points for the floorboard edge....we shall see :popcorn:

coz
01-06-2012, 08:32 PM
that's exactly what i did. mock up in cardboard, then start chasing materials and hardware. rock on:cheers:

dannymax
01-08-2012, 03:57 PM
I put the pegs back on yesterday and went for a little ride to see how they fit....didn't like them at all, not comfortable on the back. So today I mocked these up, they seemed more comfortable but it's too cold for riding so I'll have to wait a while before I know. If they work well I'll do them up nice and permanent. Figure my boots might be close to the red panel so there's a couple peices of 'snakeskin' knee gripper on the bottoms....hopefully that will protect the tupperware. :dontknow:

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo247/danu3247/The Web Crawler/100_2736.jpg

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo247/danu3247/The Web Crawler/100_2737.jpg

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo247/danu3247/The Web Crawler/100_2738.jpg

coz
01-08-2012, 07:04 PM
you are REALLY stretching out. i would like forward controls out around there. what kind of console protector is that?:thumbup::clap::thumbup:

dannymax
01-08-2012, 07:52 PM
you are REALLY stretching out. i would like forward controls out around there. what kind of console protector is that?:thumbup::clap::thumbup:

Yeah, I know....I'm having a bit of a hard time finding a comfortable spot to stretch out on. These are only plywood so if they don't work it's not a big deal but I'm running out of position options....:dontknow:

It's a Techspec protector, I got them for the FJR but have been cutting them up for peices on the Spyder. There are a couple peices under the Can Am decal on the black plastic also.

coz
01-08-2012, 08:17 PM
i know what you mean, i would like my feet up near the oil tank and the fan. maybe if they were lower you could stretch out without going farther forward.:popcorn:

dannymax
01-08-2012, 08:45 PM
i know what you mean, i would like my feet up near the oil tank and the fan. maybe if they were lower you could stretch out without going farther forward.:popcorn:

That's the perfect spot, where the oil tank & fan are! :banghead: Yeah, lower might work....I'm trying to use the Street Magic brackets but maybe that's not gonna happen, thanks for the idea. :thumbup:

GeoffCee
01-09-2012, 04:57 PM
i know what you mean, i would like my feet up near the oil tank and the fan. maybe if they were lower you could stretch out...

The only time I've been as horizontal as that while travelin' was when my wife was drivin' the RV. ;)

arntufun
01-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Danny, your taller than most so if your comfy where they are.......... go with it. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
01-10-2012, 08:04 AM
Randy,
He may be a candidate for those awesome 2xfloorboards that you're producing only for select customers... :thumbup:

mowin
01-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Randy,
He may be a candidate for those awesome 2xfloorboards that you're producing only for select customers... :thumbup:

Think hes waitin on the patent to be approved...:roflblack:

arntufun
01-10-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm not a site sponsor so I do not advertise them. :roflblack:

dannymax
01-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Randy,

Oh Jeez!! If I'd only known! :banghead:

I cut those big honkin' boards down, put a healthy mitre on the corners, some snake skin for pads and they're kinda acceptable for a trial run...they probly will work out and I'll duplicate them out of steel....a little powder and maybe they'll kinda dissappear into the black tupperware. :spyder2: