PDA

View Full Version : Taking a long trip- what to take beyond the regular stuff

jgwoods
01-04-2012, 12:38 PM
In the Spring We are taking the RT from MA to Oregon and who knows where else, traveling light, a change of clothes, credit card, GPS, a map or two and just go.

If you have done a lot of this kind of thing can you suggest any items that might be helpful along the way? I have a tire patch kit, fire extinguisher, may carry a pint of fuel and a quart of oil, flashlight, matches, cell phones, iPad, mini cooler ought to fit somewhere...what else?

ARtraveler
01-04-2012, 12:48 PM
:congrats: on your decision to take a long trip. You will surely see some wonderful sights along the way. Going East to West--takes you over everything--with so many variations along the way. The song, "America the Beautiful", will take on a whole new meaning after the trip.

I am also a light traveler. The change of clothes, cc, a map, etc. is the way to go. If I find I missed anything, I can get it along the way.

I always bring gear for whatever riding conditions I anticipate. Rain, snow, heat, cold, etc. Whatever you are comfortable with--is what you should bring when it comes to repair stuff. There is a list on SL of friends to call in case of problem, I would also get the list of dealers along the way. Those two items are your "insurance policy" that you will probably never have to use.

Wishing you a safe and enjoyable trip. Please share pictures and comments as your trip progresses. If you want suggestions of what to see in particular areas--just post. You will get several good ideas from SL membrers.

Lamonster
01-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Trailer ;)

No really, if it's a long trip I would look into a trailer. One nice thing is it's great when the weather changes to have different gear that's easy to get to. I'm not sure a pint of fuel is going to do you much good, I would carry at least a gal and two if you can fit it. I pack a little heavy compared to most but I've traveled all over this country mostly by myself and pretty much figured out what I need and don't need.

Either way it sounds like a great trip and I wish I could join you. :doorag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8vqG3LSmMY

fastfraser
01-04-2012, 12:50 PM
I have a netbook that has the shop Manuel loaded on it as well my GPS has a list of all the dealers in north America and a small tool kit with a socket set. I all so take a 1 gal. Rea gas can that fits the saddle bag with my rain gear .

Dragonrider
01-04-2012, 01:01 PM
You can load the user manual for every device you are taking with you, on your iPad. I have a TV adaptor, so the movies I have on my iPad can be watched in the motel rooms, and I recommend taking a good SMALL camera, octane booster, a can of flat fix, CO2 inflator, a light weight cover, and a back-up battery and booster antenna for your phone. You will be riding in some really "wide open spaces", and the weather can go from freezing to 100 - even in July, depending on location and altitude.

I can offer travel suggestions for any area, west of the rockies, but do not travel on the roads east of the Rockies (fly to destinations, then leave). Let me know if I can help.

chickridin
01-04-2012, 01:38 PM
I have a netbook that has the shop Manuel loaded on it as well my GPS has a list of all the dealers in north America and a small tool kit with a socket set. I all so take a 1 gal. Rea gas can that fits the saddle bag with my rain gear .

I don't mean to highjack the thread but......How did you get all the dealers on your GPS? I wish Can-Am would publish a book with the dealers in it like HOG does. Sure would come in handy.

ThreeWheels
01-04-2012, 01:43 PM
I've always found it helpful to bring a stuff sack and some Bungee cords. I ALWAYS seem to return with more stuff than I leave with. A we'll packed bike when leaving never has enough room when returning.
And of course, as everyone said, proper clothing is essential. A cold wet trip is a miserable trip.
I've found that clothes wth removable lining work best for me. You can add or remove the lining as required.
A good camera, cell phone with the ability to charge it on the bike, 5 hour energy drink and some snackbars.

GnA
01-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Lamont is correct... nothing beats a trailer. Used one for my first time and it is great to have the room to pack extra and to be able to pick up stuff along the way. Cross country on the Spyder, you will burn some oil.

I've done several long trips and would say my #1 priority is the proper riding gear for all weather conditions, extra layers, extra gloves, water-proof boots, thermal socks (unless you have heated gear)... do not underestimate the cold. I repeat, do not underestimate the cold.

#2 adequate road service coverage including towing and rental coverage.... readily accessible emergency information for first responders.

#3 Water and snacks

#4 Tools if you know how to use them... other than plugging a tire, I can't fix anything.
Some like to "carry", me... no.

#5 Information about your route. (smart phone or ipad is a must these days)

One suggestion - never pass a gas stop when you are getting close to E. ;)

Have a great time!!! :yes:

dancogan
01-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Trailer ;)

No really, if it's a long trip I would look into a trailer. One nice thing is it's great when the weather changes to have different gear that's easy to get to...

This and the other suggestions are all valid and very worthwhile. When we took a long trip last summer we also brought along a trickle charger and an extension cord "just in case" Never needed it, but I was glad I had it, especially the time my Spyder got tough to start and ended up at a dealer in Kalispell, MT. With the trailer you don't compromise on comfort and won't need to do laundry nearly as often. We carried 2 gallons of fuel in one pannier and used the other side for our rain gear, where we could get to it quickly if needed.

flamingobabe
01-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Trailers aren't for everyone....I like traveling without a trailer.....I'ver been gone up to 11 weeks....wear a pair of jeans bring 2 pair, 4 or 5 shirts, socks and personally clothing....rain gear, electric jacket (you never know), 2 or 3 pairs of gloves, personal cleaning items, extra pair of shoes, flipflops for walking around hotel room and shower, just the regular stuff...tools, .and an umbrella...if you got stranded it would help...what ever you forget...you can buy it on the road...enjoy have fun.....

jgwoods
01-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Wow! Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll look into a 1 gallon gas container, also make sure I can charge my phone from 12v. I bought the cover for the RT, have a few bungees and a stretch net, also a nice Cannon Elph camera so I have most of the basic stuff. I have a soft sided cooler that will hold a few drinks or snacks and keep them from getting too hot for a few hours.

I have Gerbings jacket liner and gloves so I am ready for weather down to 30 or so, willing to ride all day in the 50s, will do lower but less happy to. That's why we'll leave sometime in April and head south before going west. I also have Aerostich riding pants- Goretex and armor, to be worn at all times. What I need is a jacket- looking for one that fits me at 6'9" and 300lb so XXXLTall. I've seen a few on line- Joe Rocket and Scorpion and will have to see if the local store carries any when they reopen in March. My wife is going to need a whole riding outfit but she is not such an odd size so it shouldn't be to tough finding her stuff.

As for tools and how to use them I was a mechanic for 25 years and have about $20,000 worth of tools in the garage- minus the ones the kids borrowed and left who knows where. I've taken a lot of body panels off the RT but haven't done too much to it. I can pop the mirrors and pull the panels (Lamont videos!), check fuses and relays, and do the routine stuff that you can do roadside with a tire plug kit and 12v pump. After that I call AAA and it's off to the nearest dealer. I have the BEST warranty so I should be OK

I would love to get a trailer but the budget for the trip is about the price of the trailer and I don't think I can swing both the trailer and the trip. Too bad, I would bring more stuff for a happy trip but I wouldn't call it roughing it riding an RT with just the built on bags. Is there a really good deal on trailers out there that I should know about?

Our daughter lives in Portland OR, our son lives in Cary NC, we're in MA so it should be a great ride. As more questions come to me I may PM some of you for specifics. Many thanks.

CyncySpyder
01-04-2012, 03:55 PM
[QUOTE=GnA;404152]Lamont is correct... nothing beats a trailer.

Ok, I'm probably being a smart*ss here, but there IS one thing that beats a trailer hands down & thats a camper :p

Our Moto-Mate Camper provides all the extra storage space that a trailer had, plus, when we get tired, we can always pull over at a rest stop & hop in and take a couple hour nap without having to spend $$ on a hotel. Have done this numerous times on our trips to Indy, SITA, Cuba, and many other road trips. Last year, I didn't take it with us on our OSR Hocking Hills weekend, cause I knew we were sharing a hotel there. All was fine til on our 150mile trip home, I took ill & couldn't ryde. If I had brought the camper, I coulda just pulled over to a safe area & crashed til I felt better. Instead, I ended up paying $116. for a hotel room for 4 hours :mad: I won't make that mistake again. Moral of the story, is a camper is the ultimate accessory for a road-trip'n RT :p:yes: of course, IMHO & Teddys too :firstplace:

ARtraveler
01-04-2012, 04:23 PM
I note you may have a hard to find size for the jacket. Best selection of ALL brands are found at Motorcycle Superstore. You may have to search brands to find the size you are looking for. BajaRon on this site also has some riding gear avaailable.

StanProff
01-04-2012, 04:55 PM
All of the suggestions for your trip are worth considering for sure. My wife and I completed a 4,500 mile vacation trip back in September,we do have the spyder trailer. As for us the trailer was a must. Neither one of us packs light, it was great having all of the room the trailer has. It tows really great, you really do check the mirrors to see if it is still behind you. Our trip would not have been as good without it. But that is just us, some folks need very little for travel, different strokes so to speak. My best advise is to plan your trip very well. How many miles will you want to cover in the average day? if staying in motels be sure to be pro-active and locate them along the route so there are no suprises. Build in an extra day coming and going just in case you decide to stay over somewhere unexpected or simply if you get tired and want to take it easy for a day. (also the weather can cause you to cut your day short a time or two). We planned tourist stops along the way at sites we wanted to see, this helps to break up a long trip. Get AAA motorcycle coverage just in case. I didn't take extra gas but found that stopping every 120 or so miles wasn't so bad after all. walk around a little, drink something and go again. Never miss the opportunity to top off the tank anyway. Allow some extra time to answer questions about your Spyder, people enjoy looking at them and asking you how it rides. I had the normal hand tools, compressor, tire plug kit,cooler, computer (to skype with the grandchildren) plenty of snacks and the Ipod for the wife to listen to. (she also took naps at 80 mph). We had a great time as I am sure you will. No better way to see the country than on a Spyder.

NancysToy
01-04-2012, 05:10 PM
You will get as many opinions on this one as on which oil to use or what octane gas is best. In the end, it will be up to you...partly guided by your mechanical abilities and comfort with roadside repairs. For me, here are some of the "essentials":

1. Tire repair kit - I like the Stop-N-Go plugger. I carry it even though I have Ride-On in the tires.
2. Small compressor - The Slime units are handy.
3. BEST card and phone number - Or an alternative road service.
4. Cell phone -
5. $100 bill - Tucked away in a safe, accessible place.
6. Extra key -
7. Extra tools - Depends on you needs, wants, and capabilities. I carry tools to make removing the bodywork easier, a ratchet & sockets, extra wrenches, spark plug socket, etc.
8. Spark plugs - If you are comfortable with changing them. You need heat sink paste, too.
9. Zip Ties -
10. Gorilla Tape -
11. Shop Towels -
12. Hand Cleaner -
13. Spare Gas - Two REDA cans for longer trips only.
14. Oil - Hard to find the correct oil on the road.

I'm sure if I went through my stash, I'd find other things I have accumulated, but these are the items I started with purposely.

GnA
01-04-2012, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE=GnA;404152]Lamont is correct... nothing beats a trailer.

Ok, I'm probably being a smart*ss here, but there IS one thing that beats a trailer hands down & thats a camper :p

Our Moto-Mate Camper provides all the extra storage space that a trailer had, plus, when we get tired, we can always pull over at a rest stop & hop in and take a couple hour nap without having to spend $$ on a hotel. Have done this numerous times on our trips to Indy, SITA, Cuba, and many other road trips. Last year, I didn't take it with us on our OSR Hocking Hills weekend, cause I knew we were sharing a hotel there. All was fine til on our 150mile trip home, I took ill & couldn't ryde. If I had brought the camper, I coulda just pulled over to a safe area & crashed til I felt better. Instead, I ended up paying $116. for a hotel room for 4 hours :mad: I won't make that mistake again. Moral of the story, is a camper is the ultimate accessory for a road-trip'n RT :p:yes: of course, IMHO & Teddys too :firstplace:

I can see having a camper as a nice convenience... but I've never had to pay more than $60 for same day reservations using online sites such as hotwire.com - - but a camper would be nice.

GVMACK
01-04-2012, 08:25 PM
I ride with 4 other guys, and one always brings gas, but guess what, he never uses it, so no sense in bringing it, lots of gas stations along the way

SPYD1
01-04-2012, 09:03 PM
32 cal Beretta Tomcat is always nice.

jgwoods
01-04-2012, 09:44 PM
No one has mentioned needing an alarm on the Can Am. Is it not needed?

zrc
01-05-2012, 08:22 AM
I have one, if you stayed in a shady area because of no other choices I would say so, but that is just me.

effgjamis
01-05-2012, 09:32 AM
32 cal Beretta Tomcat is always nice.

Not all states allow hand guns, even passing through.. Such as CA, NY, IL.
Check the state laws before you leave and keep a list of those that do alllow.

Riot
01-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Mountain Money..(Toilet paper). Vaulable stuff in the middle of nowhere.

docdoru
01-05-2012, 10:42 AM
No one has mentioned needing an alarm on the Can Am. Is it not needed?
Just a sticker:
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/th_1-3-20122-57-25AM.png

StanProff
01-05-2012, 11:27 AM
I did "carry"on our cross country trip but it was hid very well. I also had a "tigerlight" in the glove box. If I were to break down in a strange place on the side of the road is the only time I would consider getting out the "protection". Lets face it, If it were really needed to protect you or your wife, the carry laws don't really matter at that point. At least you are alive to face the charges.
On a good note, my wife and I traveled alone on this trip and never once felt uneasy or threatened at any stop. The only time I got a little concerned was when two guys jumped out of their pickup truck at a gas stop next to me, as I was gassing up, and wanted to look at the spyder! People love these things and everyone wants to check them out.

More advise: Know your Spyder, you may get an unexpected hiccup with the spyder such as a "limp home mode" situation or a throttle body hiccup. Know how to display the codes if something were to happen like this before you turn off the key. Know that you can reset things by turning the switch on and off, removing the key etc. (I had both things happen to me on our trip, at that time I didn't know what to do). I thought we were going to be stranded and as it turned out it just wasn't a big deal. I had my computer with me and got on spyderlovers, that night at the hotel, and got great advise and just kept going on our trip. No more issues at all. Lets face it, these things are a computer and may just need a reboot once and a while.
Don't over inflate the rear tire, I did thinking with the trailer and load that it needed more air. Well you can tell because the tread in the center wore about half way down. Live and learn :banghead:.