PDA

View Full Version : Make Em see you!

Arr MiHardies
01-03-2012, 05:16 PM
I was thinking the order day that the main reason we as riders have to use our horns is because some idiot driver didn't bother to see us, despite the fact that many of us have bikes lit up like Disney's main street electrical parade. So, I thought it might be a cool idea to have the horn somehow trigger our accessory lights to flash strobe and blink when the horn is depressed. what do you all think?

DragonLorD
01-03-2012, 05:24 PM
I was thinking the order day that the main reason we as riders have to use our horns is because some idiot driver didn't bother to see us, despite the fact that many of us have bikes lit up like Disney's main street electrical parade. So, I thought it might be a cool idea to have the horn somehow trigger our accessory lights to flash strobe and blink when the horn is depressed. what do you all think?

Excellent Idea, I am in. I think that now is about time for Reggy from TricLed to dime in and give us an input.:clap:

Phil
01-03-2012, 05:25 PM
HA! I Love the idea!!
The Rube Goldberg way would be to have the lights controlled by sound, like many do, and have a microphone right by the horn. The FLASH would be great!

Or... Or... Get the mini-strobe lights and have them fire when the horn triggers!!

I LIKE the way you think!!

reggystan
01-03-2012, 05:47 PM
I will try it our and see what i can come up with
Excellent Idea, I am in. I think that now is about time for Reggy from TricLed to dime in and give us an input.:clap:

Great idea :thumbup:

Arr MiHardies
01-03-2012, 06:22 PM
I already suggested it to Reggy in an email. Not sure he wants to revamp his lighting controller to handle this. Maybe some other add on will work though. But I thought I'd share the idea with everyone. This mod may not be street legal, but I don't give a damn about that if it saves lives. I'd certainly put it on my bike.

One thing that always struck me as odd for both cars and bikes is in order to use the horn on a car, you have to remove a hand from the steering wheel, and thumbs from the grips on bikes. Surely this impedes ones ability to steer in a critical moment such as this. I always thought that steering wheels and grips should be set up so the horn goes off of if you Squeeze on the handles/wheels.

Rayelljay
01-03-2012, 06:23 PM
The output signal from the relay to the horn...?

NancysToy
01-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Flashing lights or strobes are illegal except for emergency vehicles in some states.

Bob Denman
01-03-2012, 06:30 PM
NO electrical knowledge in my puddin' head whatsoever... :opps:
Why not just splice into the leads to the horn and add some appropriate fireworks??? :dontknow:

I LOVE the idea! :thumbup:

boborgera
01-03-2012, 06:40 PM
In 35+ years of riding bikes and trikes i can honesty say i can count on one hand the times i used my horn.
My opinion ''only'' if you have to use the horn at that point it's only out of frustration,:opps:

Arr MiHardies
01-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Flashing lights or strobes are illegal except for emergency vehicles in some states.

Probably most states. But again, I'd rather pay a ticket and not have a car collide with me.

Arr MiHardies
01-03-2012, 06:44 PM
In 35+ years of riding bikes and trikes i can honesty say i can count on one hand the times i used my horn.
My opinion ''only'' if you have to use the horn at that point it's only out of frustration,:opps:

I can count on one hand the number of times I've used it this week. Seems all the worst drivers from around the world come to Vegas, lose all their money, then never leave. It's like things like stop signs, red lights and not drinking and driving are more like guidelines than actual law or plain safe driving habits.

DragonLorD
01-03-2012, 06:48 PM
You put really big worm into my head, i am still impressed. I have no clue how it can be done but that's for Reggy to solve this , I am comfortable to leave it as his head ache ;)
Reggy, sure you will come up with something, right?
Please guys from law enforcement take it easy and chillax:coffee:

Arr MiHardies
NO electrical knowledge in my puddin' head whatsoever... :opps:
Why not just splice into the leads to the horn and add some appropriate fireworks??? :dontknow:

I LOVE the idea! :thumbup:

That would turn them on, but may fry your controller with the extra amperage if they are also wired into something like the 4 channel remote control box. Ideally, such a feature would be part of the remote box. But I can see something accepting the 30 amps from the horn, strobing the lights and outputting the lower amperage so it can work in tandem with such a remote box.

NancysToy
:agree: If I had to use the horn, I'd have to read my manual to find it. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
01-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Uhhhh... It's on the left side by the... No... That's the windshield height adjustment...
It's up by the... No... turnsignals
It's over by the... ah crap! the stereo controls! :gaah:

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-03-2012, 07:02 PM
If you have to use your horn it's probably to late .....Better to practice safe avoidance than aggressive horn tooting....IMHO....Mike...:thumbup:

dancogan
01-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Ask a fireman what it takes to get the attention of a motorist involved in a cell phone conversation or texting. If they don't see or hear a big red truck with flashing lights and sirens what makes you think they'll see or hear you? I think the first line of defense has to be defensive driving. After that I'm not sure lights and horns will really help that much. JMHO

fastfraser
01-03-2012, 07:41 PM
34 years as Toronto Firefighter and the only thing that moves city traffic is the airhorn :thumbup: ( not a recognized warning device )

Major Finder
01-03-2012, 08:48 PM
There have been times when I wish I had a .50 machinegun hooked to the horn button, too. You know, just to get some idiot driver's attention.

Major Finder

mowin
01-03-2012, 10:02 PM
There have been times when I wish I had a .50 machinegun hooked to the horn button, too. You know, just to get some idiot driver's attention.

Major Finder

Im with you...A .50 BMG would surely get there attention. Mite mess with the nanny tho:roflblack::roflblack:

Blue Star
01-03-2012, 10:08 PM
:agree: If I had to use the horn, I'd have to read my manual to find it. :roflblack:

I don't know about a RT, but I found it one time. It is on the front of the right handle bar. Not only that, but it won't stop the mode message from scrolling when trying to start up..

ThreeFeet
01-03-2012, 10:30 PM
I can't find that button but have been able to flash the lights at em. Rocker switch on top just above or next to the mode etc. buttons. All that does is go from dim to bright lights and that's not illeagle I don't think. Besides as said if the i-d-ten-ts don't hear or see a Firetruck,ambulance or cops don't think they will see you. I personally want an AIR HORN with atleast 120 dcb. or even better a TRAIN HORN!!! Then MAYBE you'll get their attention, course this a wild guess. But would love to try it!!!! am sorta partial to the 50 cal too. Avoidence is still better in the long run but there are times when even THAT doesn't work. We just have to better drivers than they are!!!

Arr MiHardies
01-03-2012, 10:56 PM
I can't find that button but have been able to flash the lights at em. Rocker switch on top just above or next to the mode etc. buttons. All that does is go from dim to bright lights and that's not illeagle I don't think. Besides as said if the i-d-ten-ts don't hear or see a Firetruck,ambulance or cops don't think they will see you. I personally want an AIR HORN with atleast 120 dcb. or even better a TRAIN HORN!!! Then MAYBE you'll get their attention, course this a wild guess. But would love to try it!!!! am sorta partial to the 50 cal too. Avoidence is still better in the long run but there are times when even THAT doesn't work. We just have to better drivers than they are!!!

Yeah. I'd love to replace the horn with something that sounds BIG instead of the little "waaaaah".

sandrunr1
01-03-2012, 11:14 PM
These things have a horn???

retread
01-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Yeah. I'd love to replace the horn with something that sounds BIG instead of the little "waaaaah".

Stebel Nautilus, 139dB, fairly easy to mount and wire, reasonable cost. I've got one on my GS, really gets their attention.:doorag:

john

Sarge707
01-04-2012, 01:50 PM
If you have to use your horn it's probably to late .....Better to practice safe avoidance than aggressive horn tooting....IMHO....Mike...:thumbup:

By the time you Hit your horn (I,ve never used it) you could be well on your way to an emergency stop or defensive manuever.
Before I leave for a ride I remind myself of something I taught- "Escape and evasion!" In either order?nojoke

MouthPiece
01-05-2012, 06:21 AM
I keep hitting the turn signal.

Chris

dancogan
01-05-2012, 07:02 AM

Chris

Yeah, there's nothing like an angry left turn signal! :roflblack:

Campverdefela
01-05-2012, 09:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAfHfXAsE-4&feature=related

effgjamis
01-05-2012, 09:39 AM
How about a handle bar ( ram mount ) for a light ( like the old spot light ) which would be very bright and a finger control by the grip ???

NancysToy
01-05-2012, 10:38 AM
How about a handle bar ( ram mount ) for a light ( like the old spot light ) which would be very bright and a finger control by the grip ???
:roflblack: I suddenly had this vision of a custom Spyder...tail-dragger, with bubble skirts and dual spots, and a racoon tail attached to the antenna...candy apple red, of course. Oh yeah, how about a reverb unit for the audio?

Seriously, the idea kind of intrigues me. Sounds like a project for SpyderPops...LOL.

mooneych
01-05-2012, 02:21 PM
Stebel Nautilus, 139dB, fairly easy to mount and wire, reasonable cost. I've got one on my GS, really gets their attention.:doorag:

john

:agree::agree::agree: It helps other people drive better!

boborgera
01-05-2012, 03:46 PM
:agree::agree::agree: It helps other people drive better!

And sometimes it makes some Yahoo, in a 3 thousand pound Vehicle retaliate. [mad]:shocked:

johnnyrocket
01-05-2012, 07:49 PM

ChrisI do just the opposite (at night):roflblack:

Nino sj
01-25-2012, 06:14 PM

john

May I ask where is it located on your RS, does it fit in place of stock horn? Thanks

ornerydog7
01-25-2012, 06:23 PM
Ask a fireman what it takes to get the attention of a motorist involved in a cell phone conversation or texting. If they don't see or hear a big red truck with flashing lights and sirens what makes you think they'll see or hear you? I think the first line of defense has to be defensive driving. After that I'm not sure lights and horns will really help that much. JMHO

:thumbup: I agree !!!!!

GA-SPYDER
01-25-2012, 08:49 PM
May I ask where is it located on your RS, does it fit in place of stock horn? Thanks
Not to butt in, but, I mounted mine on the left side, in line with the instrument cluster(sorry, no picture). There is a gusset located on the frame that will allow you to drill a hole for mounting. Mounted the relay in place of the stock horn and just moved the wiring straight back to the new one.
:thumbup:

retread
01-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Mounted it on the body support right behind the front fuse box, drill a 1/4 inch clearance hole and use the mounting set up that comes with the horn. I wired mine with the relay in parallel with the stock horn.

john

bluestratos
01-25-2012, 10:34 PM
I often give a short blast to wake up a drive who seems to be out of tune. I did install a much loader horn, do that on all my bikes. That being said, I just hope they take me out the first time, could not deal with being handicaped, I barely tolerate life as it is. lol

kevorama
01-25-2012, 10:46 PM
The only time that we've used our horn was to keep someone from backing into us in a parking lot. And even then it was only because the horn was quicker than trying to get into reverse fast enough to get out of the way.:yikes:

hrbeta
01-26-2012, 09:43 AM

john

Ditto!

boborgera
01-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Most drivers are deaf, Or semi comatose, Avoidance is your best defence.
And not to sound holier then thou, But lets face it it's not always the other guy who pulls a bonehead move.
I know iv'e been acused of that, from time to time, Just ask my Wife. :opps: