PDA

View Full Version : Oil change

rcdurango
01-01-2012, 06:14 PM
FYI, Was at the dealer the other day and to my surprise there on the counter was an oil change kit.:clap:Thank you BRP for
putting this together. Now you get the oil, filters (two)with orings and everything you need. Not sure if there are two types or even
the price $$$. I do know the last time I did oil change it took two trips to dealer to get parts. And sometimes they don't have the parts.
If someone has bought one and knows the costs how about a reply to posts.

C3517C
01-01-2012, 06:27 PM
I recommend you check out BajaRon, a sponser here. He has great prices and service.;)

CyncySpyder
01-01-2012, 06:42 PM
I recommend you check out BajaRon, a sponser here. He has great prices and service.;)

When Teddy has me do the oil changes on his Red Sled, BajaRon is the go-to guy for all your needs. Heck, now he even offers plugs & wires as well, among other things :firstplace: :firstplace:

Sorry, but no clue about the BRP kits :dontknow:

arntufun
01-01-2012, 06:55 PM
My name is arntufun and I only use BajaRon products. :2thumbs:

BTW........ how is that other site sponsor Amsoil guy working out for everyone ???

kinggeek
01-01-2012, 07:01 PM
:thumbup: Amsoil, also buyable from BajaRon and at a good price!

SteveMac
01-01-2012, 07:23 PM
When Teddy has me do the oil changes on his Red Sled, BajaRon is the go-to guy for all your needs. Heck, now he even offers plugs & wires as well, among other things :firstplace: :firstplace:

Sorry, but no clue about the BRP kits :dontknow:

+1 on the kits from BajaRon. If I am near Cowtown when I am due, I just have them do it. If I am due and can't get to Cowtown, I purchase from BajaRon and do it myself. Winner both ways.

boborgera
01-01-2012, 08:09 PM
FYI, Was at the dealer the other day and to my surprise there on the counter was an oil change kit.:clap:
If someone has bought one and knows the costs how about a reply to posts.

:hun:Could of just asked the dealer how much.???

SPYD1
01-01-2012, 09:19 PM
In Michigan at the local dealer the kit is 85$. I use Amsoil now so I don't but the kit but I buy the components less oil for 45$ (SE5) and then buy the Amsoil from my buddy who is an Amsoil dealer. I chose to do my own oil changes as I haven't had any luck with my local dealers talent wise but that's an whole other story.

rcdurango
01-01-2012, 09:21 PM
:hun:Could of just asked the dealer how much.???

Could of, They where kinda busy and I was there attending to other details with the Spyder. And this was only a FYI and not
an advertisement for your local dealer. Gees! It was just interesting to me because the last time I changed my oil you had to
buy all parts separately which made no sense.

SPYD1
01-01-2012, 09:29 PM
The last time I bought parts for the oil change the local dealers had to order the psrts for me. None of them had Oediker clamps and asked what I needed it for. When I told them they said they don't do that step in an oil change???:banghead:

BajaRon
01-01-2012, 09:32 PM
I suppose this is a good place for a shameless plug. I am glad to hear BRP finally getting their retail act together on the oil change kits. It is a pain for both the dealership and the customer to part out everything needed individually. Especially if it's left up to the customer to know what they need.

I am wondering, though, if this is a BRP kit, or maybe a smart dealership that put this together. Either way, not a bad move.

My Oil Change Kits can be found here and I think my prices are pretty hard to beat. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?23928-New-sponsor-here-for-Filters-amp-Helmets

Full oil change kit for the SM Spyder (1 Oil Filter and all needed seals) is $17.95 delivered
Full oil change kit for the SE Spyder (1 Oil Filter - 1 Trans filter and all needed seals) is $22.95 delivered

I can fill orders of any amount and any combination requested. Price per unit goes down with the number ordered.

Thanks to all of my customers that keep coming back. I am glad to be a sponsor here where the best customers in the world reside! :ohyea:

BajaRon
01-01-2012, 09:34 PM
The last time I bought parts for the oil change the local dealers had to order the psrts for me. None of them had Oediker clamps and asked what I needed it for. When I told them they said they don't do that step in an oil change???:banghead:

In their defence, the step isn't necessary and you can use common screw clamps which are reusable anyway.

SPYD1
01-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Wow that is a great deal. How do I order them? Can you speak to the quality of the filters?

BajaRon
01-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Wow that is a great deal?

Hmmm.... My thoughts exactly! :roflblack:

How do I order them?

Most people just PM me with their order and the email address attached to their Paypal account. I invoice by email and ship as soon as payment is received. Payment can also be mailed in the form of personal check, Money Order, etc.

Can you speak to the quality of the filters?

A very good question and one that crosses everyone's mind. I like to do a fair amont of research before I do something, and I don't sell stuff that I don't believe in. I have been using these filters in my Spyder for over 20,000 miles. But I don't expect anyone to take my word for it. Anytime someone is asking you to take money out of your pocket and put it into theirs you should take a close look at the product.

I have sold a few thousand of these filters to Spyder owners in the last several years and, as far as I know, all have been very happy with them. I get a lot of positive comments and return customers, very few of which would bother to save a few bucks if the quality were not there.

I encourage customers to compare these HiFlo filters to the OEM product.

I do know HiFlo goes out of their way to use the best filtration filter paper available.

Some people are concerned that with this kind of pricing the quality might suffer. People are always telling me I sell stuff too cheap and they are probably right. I would like to say that anyone who might feel better if the price were higher is more than welcome to send me more money! :thumbup: Truth is, there is a very good markup on these products. I sell enough volume to get a good price, my overhead is low and I work CHEAP!

Here is what HiFlo says about themselves.

The Hiflofiltro-Thai Yang Kitpaisan factory was founded in 1955 and has been manufacturing filters for the OEM motor industry since 1963. With the experience of more than four decades, constant research and development and modern production facilities we manufacture today some of the best quality filters in the world.

To achieve and ensure the consistency of our high quality, we use only premium quality materials from well known makers: Steel from Toyota Tsusho and NKK Japan, Glue from Henkel Germany, paper from Ahlstrom Filtration Finland, Hollingsworth & Vose USA and Awa Paper Japan.

With this high quality, the customer list is extensive and includes car makers such as BMW, Peugeot, Ford, Toyota, Mazda, Suzuki, Nissan and Denso.

Hiflofiltro is the complete range of motorcycle filters engineered to extreme quality standards to provide ultimate engine protection.

Our aim is to supply you the best quality most innovative and competetive product line fully backed by complete availability and service.

Your absolute satisfaction is our commitment.

tconaagt
01-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Oil kits in Canada for se5 are $99 (before tax)
I've ordered my supplies from BajaRon .(including shipping) waaay cheaper.And great service.

NancysToy
01-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Ron, the BRP kits are factory accessories, and have been listed in the accessory catalog and available at the dealers for at least a year.

JJW SpyderRider
01-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Wow that is a great deal. How do I order them? Can you speak to the quality of the filters?

I have been using the oil filter change parts from Ron and can say they are top of the line and they have worked great. No leaks, and the filters have held together well. The BRP ones that the dealer installed collapsed.

SPYD1
01-01-2012, 10:19 PM
BajaRon...why do you say that step is unnessary?? I have switched to worm clamps but I was told that the screen should be checked at every other oil change.:dontknow:

NancysToy
01-01-2012, 10:29 PM
BajaRon...why do you say that step is unnessary?? I have switched to worm clamps but I was told that the screen should be checked at every other oil change.:dontknow:
The strainer is specified to be cleaned at 600 miles, and then every 12,000 miles or two years. Dealers that are not doing this are shortchaning their customers. BTW, I do check my screen every other oil change...old habit from maintaining my Triumphs.

SPYD1
01-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Thanks, I believe I am following your recommendations. It doesn't take mush time to check it and it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling if I don't see anything in there.

Littlebadwolf
01-02-2012, 05:50 AM
My name is arntufun and I only use BajaRon products. :2thumbs:

BTW........ how is that other site sponsor Amsoil guy working out for everyone ???

Reminds me of the endless commercial on tv about buying gold....."What I like about.....is that I
ALWAYS recieve my gold in 10 days or less":yes:

NancysToy
01-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks, I believe I am following your recommendations. It doesn't take mush time to check it and it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling if I don't see anything in there.
10-4 on the warm, fuzzy feeling!

BajaRon
01-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Ron, the BRP kits are factory accessories, and have been listed in the accessory catalog and available at the dealers for at least a year.

I confess that I don't keep up with the accessories catalog. This is the first time I've heard of the kits. I am wondering how wide spread this knowledge is.

It does not hurt to check the screen, but 99.99% of the time you're going to find exactly what you've found so far, nothing. If you want to do it and it makes you feel better then it is worth the effort for you. There is an outside chance you could be having a serious internal part failure that you were not aware of and catch it just right with an oil change by discovering parts stuck in the screen. However, it is more likely that a failure serious enough to turn up in your strainer isn't going to wait a few thousand miles before giving you obvious symptoms.

The strainer is specified to be cleaned at 600 miles, and then every 12,000 miles or two years. Dealers that are not doing this are shortchaning their customers. BTW, I do check my screen every other oil change...old habit from maintaining my Triumphs.

:agree: But being realistic, my guess is that very few dealers actually check the screen at an oil change for the very reasons I've listed above. It is what it is and unless you're standing there watching the service, you'll never know. Finding an honest dealer is as important as having the service done to start with.

By doing simple maintenance work yourself you know EXACTLY what has been done. Here is a suggestion. Put a mark on the strainer hose clamps that you will recognize and won't rub off. After your oil change check the clamps and see if they have been removed/replaced and let us know what you find.

arntufun
01-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Do they recommend it, yes. Do you need to do it, no.

Even as a home owner your supposed to drain 5 gallons on water off the bottom of your hot water tank every year and also your supposed to open and close every valve in your house at least once a year. How many of you all do that ???

It's the same thing with this change and bleed your brake fluid at every 12,000 miles stuff !!! That is just plain crazy if you ask me.

BajaRon
01-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Do they recommend it, yes. Do you need to do it, no.

Now why didn't I think of this? A lot less typing for sure and ends up at the same destination!

Even as a home owner your supposed to drain 5 gallons on water off the bottom of your hot water tank every year and also your supposed to open and close every valve in your house at least once a year. How many of you all do that ???

It's the same thing with this change and bleed your brake fluid at every 12,000 miles stuff !!! That is just plain crazy if you ask me.

To be sure, there are High Priorty issues and there are Low Priority issues with any maintenance program. The manufacturer is going to recommend everything possible to maintain a problem free machine even if the benefit to effort ratio is extremely small. Everyone has to find their comfort level. For example, people like SethO have one comfort level, some, like Scotty, have another. Most of us fall in-between.

arntufun
01-03-2012, 08:34 AM
To get back to the OP, they sell these kits on ebay for $80.00 with free shipping. Just remember you are not getting full synthetic oil with these kits, it's a cheap blend. You can get 5 quarts of full Synthetic Amsoil and the filters from Baja for about the same or maybe less and have 3/4 of a quart of oil left over to add to the Spyder when it burns it in between changes. Plus you are supporting this site, since he is a sponsor. IMO it's a no brainer.

BTW, I would love to see if this instuction sheet included with this kit tells you to check the strainer ??? Link to ebay kit below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAN-AM-BRP-SPYDER-MODEL-SE5-OIL-CHANGE-KIT-219800208-FREE-SHIPPING-/150706831846?pt=Personal_Watercraft_Parts&vxp=mtr&hash=item2316d3c1e6