PDA

View Full Version : Last ride in 2011 post

Lamonster
12-31-2011, 08:47 AM
It's going to be 55 and sunny here in East TN and I plan on taking advantage of that for a last ride in 2011. :yes:

It's been a great year for Spyder riding and I'm looking forward to a better year of riding in 2012.
I'll post pics when I get back and I hope some of you will do the same. :doorag:

BumbleBee
12-31-2011, 09:10 AM
Not sure if we are riding today. If not then our last ride for the year was Thursday Dec. 29th, 62 degrees it was. G-Man took half the day off from work, and off we went, was wonderful and such a beautiful day for a ride, sorry no pictures, we were too busy riding :clap:

62/63 degrees again today, I think we are off to ride here soon :2thumbs:

G-Man and I have been crazy enough at times to be riding in cold weather, the coldest so far has been 21 degrees!

Polar Bear Ride for Jan. 1st will be 45 degrees this year!

Floyd Baughman
12-31-2011, 09:22 AM
It suppose to be around 45 degrees today and not raining may get my last ride in before the Polar Bear ride in Feburary in Columbus Ohio. See you in Cuba and have a safe ride now and the furture. Happy New year to all our Spyderlovers. Floyd

It's going to be 55 and sunny here in East TN and I plan on taking advantage of that for a last ride in 2011. :yes:

It's been a great year for Spyder riding and I'm looking forward to a better year of riding in 2012.
I'll post pics when I get back and I hope some of you will do the same. :doorag:

nudle
12-31-2011, 09:32 AM
:yes::yes: 80 degrees in Alamo Tesxs. Put on 100 miles yesterday in 85 degree weather.

Pennyrick
12-31-2011, 09:37 AM
Lamont:

We are with you in spirit. Going to be a high of 62 today and I am currently mapping out the route for our ride today.

flamingobabe
12-31-2011, 09:53 AM
we're meeting up with some Spyderlovers @ 12:00 noon...for meet, greet and eat and then a ride...post pics when we return....

GnA
12-31-2011, 10:34 AM
Colorado has a big one called the Last Brass Monkey Ride that usually gets a couple thousand bikers. Temp may hit 50 here but wind is the issue today... already clocking 100 mph in the mountains and over 60 mph in the foothills of Denver. That doesn't make for an enjoyable ride.

Bob Denman
12-31-2011, 10:41 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_2_9.gif

GnA
12-31-2011, 10:45 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_2_9.gif

That's just about what it's like. There was a news warning this morning.... keep small children and pets in the house!!! :yikes:

Pandy
12-31-2011, 11:04 AM
We will be observing the sunrise over the Atlantic on New Year's Day. This has been a ritual of ours for some years though the first on the Spyder. Should be in the mid 40's at that time. Best wishes for a Happy New Year to all!

Patrick

CATastrophe
12-31-2011, 11:05 AM
Despite having colds, we were out yesterday. Rode to Farmer's Daughter in Chuckey for brunch and did a bit of shopping at the bulk store next door. Was a lovely day to be out. Some local places reported temps around 60.

Not sure if we'll take a ride today or not. I'm feeling pretty slow today. :sour:

I know you'll have a nice ride, Lamontser!

Farmboy
12-31-2011, 11:28 AM
65 here in south central Arkansas. about to go to Hot Springs with friends for a small ride and eat at apple-bees. Happy New Years every one!!

murphybrown
12-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Going for a few miles...what a way to close 2011 out....welcome to 2012...new days await us all. Happy New Year to all...and God's Blessings...:thumbup:

Boriken
12-31-2011, 04:46 PM
55F here at the Jersey Shore, I just returned from a 100 mile ryde to complete the year a good note..

mowin
12-31-2011, 04:52 PM
50* today, and the most important thing I learned in 2011....

Is October 30th is WAY to early to put the spyder in storage:banghead::mad:

HntngTrout
12-31-2011, 04:52 PM
53 and sunny, very little wind, great day for a 50 mile ride.....

johnnyg
12-31-2011, 05:12 PM
CJ and I just got back from a 60 ride 81 degrees thats right 81. Was a fantastic day to ride an end the year with. Hope every one has a safe and Happy Year. Come on April :thumbup:

SpyderLady
12-31-2011, 05:16 PM
I am so jealous.....don't have the new ride yet and the purple one was sold so my last ride of the year was when I took the bike down to cowtown. Seems so long ago. Hoping Len will have it done next weekend???

GregP
12-31-2011, 05:16 PM
Thought that all of you Spyderlovers south of the 49th parallel might be interested.... my last ride for 2011 today was 65 miles, Temp. was a balmy -6 deg.C ( 21.5 deg. F ) :shocked: !!! Unfortunately, I forgot my camera. It probably would have been too afraid to open its' shutter anyway.... too darn cold.

WARMEST regards....
GregP

arntufun
12-31-2011, 05:24 PM
50* today, and the most important thing I learned in 2011....

Is October 30th is WAY to early to put the spyder in storage:banghead::mad:

I hate to say I told you so but............ I told you so !!!! :D:D

arntufun
12-31-2011, 05:27 PM
And as far as the rest of you people go........... It must be nice !!!

Dustybell
12-31-2011, 05:32 PM
Seven of us made a 6 hour loop in Central Arkansas. Weather was perfect...except for the wind!

Happy New Year!

Leslie

minerdoug
12-31-2011, 05:37 PM
A bit cool in northern Nevada (42°) but still a nice day for a ride. Rode from Fernley to Lake Lahaton and returned.387903879138792

NancysToy
12-31-2011, 07:07 PM
And as far as the rest of you people go........... It must be nice !!!

Self-inflicted wounds don't count!

Pennyrick
12-31-2011, 07:13 PM
We left Loganville to Covington on our RT's and followed highway 142 until it ended in Eatonton, Ga. Then north on 129 to Madison where we stopped at The Perk restaurant in the old town for bagels and their awesome coffee. Then north on 83 to Fairplay Road, west through Hard Labor Creek state park. Got lost on a couple of country twisties for several miles and ended up in Social Circle (supposedly the town that Sherman spared on his march to the sea). From Social Circle to Monroe and then home to Loganville.

About 125 miles in wonderful 65 degree weather although at one point the temp on my RT read out at 72 degrees. Had to unzip the lining from my jacket and the winter neck warmer from my helmet!

Great way to end the year!

SporterSpider
12-31-2011, 07:34 PM
It was a little cool here in Ky. about 45. I rode most of the day and, I loved it, as usual. I would just like to say Happy New Year to all the Canadian and U.S. Spyder Ryders. Looking forward to meeting you on the road some day. Stay warm, ride safe, and, long.

TicketBait
12-31-2011, 08:03 PM

So looking forward to 2012 and beyond! Bike is running great, my dog still loves to ride, and I got my work cut out for me in getting my wife back on.....but in the mean time I got a Drift HD on Lamonts recommendation and today I took it out. This is so much fun to experience the ride back home on my monitor. I goofed and had it set in standard mode, but for a first time it was ok. I tried it on the top of the helmet am I am learning how to have my head positioned, and that I have a natural tilt I have to overcome :banghead::D:roflblack:. I also have a mount on the side of the helmet that gave a very nice view of the Spyder in action on the road. Went out on it again and for some reason it reverted back to SD resolution, and I forgot to change the lens from side mount to helmet top :roflblack: If you are lying on your side it looks great. I will eventually get the hang of it. Gonna love this new toy and all the possibilities when telling a story!

Tons of fog in the morning and later today!

Gonna go ride tomorrow morning and then see if I can post a few shots. The temp in Santa Monica today was a high of 73', but I think it felt more like a cool 68'

Happy New Year everyone!

Yol Bolsun
12-31-2011, 08:21 PM
Had been planning on a ride for Saturday, not thinking of the date. Thank you Lamont for adding impetus...

Left home and headed for Stone Mtn Park since SWMBO (aka sewnonnie (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?6968-sewnonnie)) had never seen it. Had Spyder moment enroute when the guy next to me, in a Boxter with the top down commented on how much fun that (us on our Spyders) looked like. Had to tell him that his ride looked like fun too.

Stopped for brunch at a German restaurant in Stone Mountain...

Stopped by the Confederacy's Mt Rushmore (what a crowd that was) after a nice little ride around Stone Mtn Park.

And wrapped up the day riding through the local covered bridge. (Now there's a thought for a ride, The Covered Bridges of the USA or maybe even North America)

Missed tagging up with MarkLawson and his wife due to my impatience to get on with the ride. Looking forward to another opportunity in the near future. Shall we ring in the new year?

Also had a Spyder sighting in Snellville, GA. A couple from Virginia on a Black RT with Bell helmets.

(No it wasn't warm, I had to wear a flannel shirt under my leather vest.)

joe schmoe
12-31-2011, 08:37 PM
Left Betty Boop home with a cold, but I went riding with a buddy...We rode all over East Tennessee and Georgia...Got 300 miles in today! :ohyea::ohyea::ohyea:

Temps started out in the low 40's and we hit the mid 60's during the afternoon....On the way home at 7:30 PM temps were back down to 44 when I parked the Vision....:doorag:

PCBeachBum
01-01-2012, 05:56 AM
Was 71 here Saturday and headed out for a ryde after running some errands on my way. With a lot of tourists at the beach for New years Eve. I headed west first on Hwy 98 to clean out all the beach ryding and bring it up to speed, passing Rt 79, I continued on the Hwy and after a few miles the speed limit increases to 65 mph and brought the Spyder up to 70 mph finally getting out of 4th gear and cagers are still passing me, so brought it up to 75 to 80 and the Spyder ran great.

Coming to Rt 331, I turned right and got off the hwy for a more relaxing back road ryde. Heading North now, I could feel the temperature dropping but not by much and passing over the inland waterway, it got cooler and coming to Rt 20, I decided to go west and take it into Destin. Big Mistake Destin, there was more cager traffic there, than at the PCB.

At a stoplight these two Harley's pulled up next to me and looking over, they are smiling. It was my gun dealer on his Ultra Glide and his wife on her 1200 Sportster. They said this traffic is murder and I said 20 is nice with hardly any traffic. They said lets go and it was back up to Rt 20 to 79 and back down to Hwy 98.

Stopping to get some thing to eat at Applebee's, it was getting darker and still the temp was in the high 60s with the dew covering vehicles. Having a nice meal Karen said to her husband Jim, back in Destin. I think that is Brian on the Spyder and Jim said wrong, it is Brian. I would know his Spyder anywhere. We had some laughs and they just picked up there Harley's after having some additions added to both. A fuel pack for the Ultra Glide and a tach for the 1200.

Leaving Applebee's we headed home with even more cager traffic out and about. My friends turned on to there street and waving, I continued on to make one more stop to gas up, before getting home.

In all it was a great day for a ryde and meeting up with some friends, made it even better. The temp now is 56 with clear skies and looks like another great day to ryde on New Years Day.

I do hope this Gulf air continues to head North and Northeast, so Lamont and all my Spyder Ryding friends in KY, TN, NC to NY and New England and all points inbetween can enjoy more time out on there Spyder's til Spring time finally arrives.

I'm going to have to start taking my camera with me on rydes. I always keep the battery charged and I always seem to leave it in my desk. Putting it with my keys just might be a better place to keep it. But, than again when I'm heading out my mind is often on which way I'm going this time and than realize miles from here the camera is still on the table my keys were on. :banghead: Maybe I should wear it around my neck. :dontknow: Its the same while out on the boat and when asked by Tami or Sam where my camera is? Its always sitting next to where my fish/depth finder was. I would grab that and leave the camera and GPS on the table. Thinking about a "Big Dummy Post", that's what I am at times more often than not. :yikes:

For the next 7 days the weather looks great here with temps in the high 60s to low 70s and I will see if I can help it along to those Spyder Ryders North and Northeast of here. Hopefully the heat from Texas will head the same way for those Spyder Ryders in OK, AK, CO and MO. :thumbup:

Wishing Happy New Year to all Spyder Ryders and there families.

Ryde safe,

Brian (PCBeachBum)

Radthorne
01-01-2012, 07:25 PM
This was the at the end of the return leg of our last 2011 ride, which started on Friday. Went 100 miles out to a place we have by a lake, so that was the last 2011 ride; and today was the first 2012 ride as we came home! A beautiful day for riding, and saw lots of folks out on bikes (all two wheelers, the Spyders must have been hiding). Temp was right around 50 and clear skies, really unusual for these parts at this time of year.

MickeyFisher
01-01-2012, 08:19 PM
I'm jealous, it's going to be 10 more days until I get to ride mine again. There are motorcycles all over town here in Ohio today, taking advantage of the dry, warm weather. It's killing me!

ABQ_Spyderman
01-01-2012, 09:17 PM
My last ride was a really chilly ride to Chilili, NM. Beautiful, scenic ride. It was 10 degrees, but with polypropelene thermals, I was nice and toasty the whole time. Gorgeous riding through the snow. And of course...I'll have a video of it posted before too long. ;)

Best,
--ABQ

PCBeachBum
01-02-2012, 09:23 PM
I guess to much of that warm Gulf Air moved North and Northeast. We are under a freeze watch with temps dropping into the high 20s with wind gusts from 30 to 40 mph. Tuesday's high? 47 degrees. Wednesday looks better with temps in the 50s and than back to normal into the 70s. Rode Monday and will on Tuesday with temps in the 40s. Gotta help a friend move a washer and dryer, than drop off the truck for the Spyder. :thumbup:

zrc
01-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Brian,

Sonja and I were in PCB from Friday until this morning, it was amazing weather to ryde in over the weekend! I talked to a guy rolling around on one of the Yellow SM5's that you can rent down on the strip, and while we were able to spot 1 other Spyder in Pier park yesterday (Red, SE5, custom paint, flags, and some serious mods). But the weather was great and the ryding was great. The trip from PCB up to Birmingham, AL proved to be cold as heck, but we made it. In Elba, AL of all places at Burger King we met a couple that had been to Destin, and left there RT down there and headed back up to Huntsville to their regular stomping grounds.

All and all it was an awesome trip!

PCBeachBum
01-04-2012, 04:08 AM
Brian,

Sonja and I were in PCB from Friday until this morning, it was amazing weather to ryde in over the weekend! I talked to a guy rolling around on one of the Yellow SM5's that you can rent down on the strip, and while we were able to spot 1 other Spyder in Pier park yesterday (Red, SE5, custom paint, flags, and some serious mods). But the weather was great and the ryding was great. The trip from PCB up to Birmingham, AL proved to be cold as heck, but we made it. In Elba, AL of all places at Burger King we met a couple that had been to Destin, and left there RT down there and headed back up to Huntsville to their regular stomping grounds.

All and all it was an awesome trip!

ZRC,

I wish you had sent me another PM saying you were still coming. I would have liked to have met up with you both but, perhaps we can another time. I saw a couple of your posts Friday morning and figured you decided not to come down, since you were looking forward to a New Years Eve or Day Ryde with other Spyder Ryders. I'm glad you did come down and had some great weather to ryde in. I'm happy the weather forecast held up for you and changed on the day you left, rather than while here.

Its very cold now and after talking to a friend who went to his parents over the holidays, Monday he said, it was cold where he was just outside of Montgomery, AL and the wind was starting to pick up. He said the heck with this! I've been here for 10 days and that's 7 days to long, being around my parents and heading back to the beach. So I can just imagine how cold it was ryding, creating your own windchill since I was doing that here Monday and Tuesday.

After talking with gene0108 during the Fall Thunder Beach. I was planning on going to Spyderfest but, after seeing the roof on the addition my late housemate built, that needs repairing. He knew everything about building but, nothing about roofing. When did he tell me this? About a year after I found some shingles out in the yard. :banghead: I thought they were perhaps some he left up there, or from the old abandoned house behind us. :dontknow: There is always spring Thunder Beach and that is always a great time with many Spyder ryders coming here, who didn't go to Spyderfest, that falls on or about the same time.

Its great to hear you both had a good time here and at this time of year the prices are lower. :thumbup: The prices go up with the temperature during Memorial Day Weekend and drop after the Labor Day Weekend. Most of the restaurants stay open until after the fall rally, than close until they reopen for spring break and than the spring rally and summer season. Here is the link if your interested.

www.lightningcustoms.com/thunder-beach-fall.html (http://www.lightningcustoms.com/thunder-beach-fall.html)

Ryde Safe,

Brian (PCBeachBum)

zrc
01-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Your town was amazing! And I inferred your posts and PMs to say that you werent going to be ryding or were otherwise preoccupied. Sorry for the mix up! We will 100% be back I can guarentee that, we had a blast. Both of us loved the pretty weather, and I will be sure to get back to get my lovily lady into a bathing suit and and just gawk at her personally! (I am more than aware that she is way out of my league, she hasnt realized it yet so dont clue her in ;) ).

Next time we will hook up and ryde some. We hit the overall area and headed home on quite a chilly Monday. Then I rode Tuesday in just flat out blaring cold to Chattanooga. All and all, it went well!