PDA

View Full Version : New Guy....eastern NY

dannymax
12-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Hi everyone, just joined and wanted to say hi! A knee & back arthritic condition forced the sale of my V Max's (had 2...one with nitrous) and FJR1300 but a lifetime of being 'in the wind,' and the desire to stay there, put me on a Spyder. What a fun machine....maybe not the power of a nitrous Max but I don't ever see my GS embarassing me, I was very surprised at the power! I'm located in NY on the Mass. border....some terrific riding around here, I'm looking forward to meeting up with other Spyder guys!

zrc
12-30-2011, 09:36 AM
:welcome:

NY has some characters from what I have met! Anything I tell you is based on reading and some attempting, I am definately not the "go-to" guy for advice, but I admit when I dont know!

Bob Denman
12-30-2011, 09:36 AM
Welcome to our little slice of the pie Danny! :2thumbs: You'll find TONS of great information in here, loads of opinions and a couple of real characters... :roflblack:

SpyderAnn01
12-30-2011, 09:39 AM
:welcome: and why not be the first to put nitrous on a Spyder!

Bob Denman
12-30-2011, 09:42 AM
...or at least put some of it in the rider! :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Wheeler~
12-30-2011, 09:54 AM
:congrats: and :welcome:

lyonsden
12-30-2011, 10:16 AM
I just joined myself a couple of days ago. Congrats on the new :spyder:. I hope you enjoy spyderlovers.com, I have so far.:ohyea:

wyliec
12-30-2011, 10:18 AM
Congrats and think about joining the NY Gawkers for rides next year.

dannymax
12-30-2011, 10:25 AM
:welcome: and why not be the first to put nitrous on a Spyder!

I have actually thought about it! :ohyea: It would be a piece of cake...hide a nice big bottle in the frunk....POlice can't eyeball it :yikes:....but no, I survived that phase, not a good idea to go back!! Besides the 'squeeze' just murders rear tires!! :lecturef_smilie:

...or at least put some of it in the rider! :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

But Bob....who's gonna hang around with a guy that sounds like Donald Duck!! :wrong:

dannymax
12-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Congrats and think about joining the NY Gawkers for rides next year.

Thanks, I will be doing just that.

arntufun
12-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Welcome Danny, I'm 30 minutes west of Albany and we get together (during riding season) from folks from all over NY and PA.

dannymax
12-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Welcome Danny, I'm 30 minutes west of Albany and we get together (during riding season) from folks from all over NY and PA.

Thanks everybody for the great welcome!!

Yeah, I'm very familiar with your area Arntufun, one of my 'homes away from home' is in Amsterdam....the Super 8 on I-90! :roflblack: Lucky me, huh! :D
I'm about 45 min. east of Albany....practically next door by Spyder!

Bob Denman
12-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Danny,
Are you near where the Mass Pike heads out near Lee or Pittsfield? I used to head out to there to prowl with my Grizzly in their State Parks... They have some EXCELLENT trail systems in there! :2thumbs: Makes me miss my ATV a little bit... :shocked:

SPYD1
12-30-2011, 11:33 AM
:welcome:
I hope you enjoy the ryde as much as us.

dannymax
12-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Danny,
Are you near where the Mass Pike heads out near Lee or Pittsfield? I used to head out to there to prowl with my Grizzly in their State Parks... They have some EXCELLENT trail systems in there! :2thumbs: Makes me miss my ATV a little bit... :shocked:

Hey Bob, Yeah, I'm about 10 miles down the Taconic Pkwy (and 3-4 miles back in the woods) from where it joins I-90, just before the Mass border. I've never done any off-roading around here but there's some great stretches of blacktop just crying out to be covered! :ohyea:

acinpcola
12-30-2011, 11:59 AM
:congrats: & :welcome:

Have Fun and Be Safe

AC:spyder2:

mowin
12-30-2011, 12:00 PM
Danny, Im in New Lebenon near the speedway. Nice to see I have a spyder nieghbor....Rob

ARtraveler
12-30-2011, 12:06 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: on the new ryde.

dannymax
12-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Danny, Im in New Lebenon near the speedway. Nice to see I have a spyder nieghbor....Rob

Hey Rob....I wondered where "upstate NY" was! I'm just a short hop down #22 then #203 to Spencertown....then some lefts & rights (mostly lefts) into the woods! I like to ride up to New Lebanon and go south around the speedway, some nice roads down thru there.

fastfraser
12-30-2011, 12:24 PM
:congrats::welcome: to the Spyder Hood !

mowin
12-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Hey Rob....I wondered where "upstate NY" was! I'm just a short hop down #22 then #203 to Spencertown....then some lefts & rights (mostly lefts) into the woods! I like to ride up to New Lebanon and go south around the speedway, some nice roads down thru there.

IMO upstate is anywhere north of NYC..LOL

Been in Spencertown many times over the yrs. Lots of pavement to explore come spring time...

Bob Denman
12-30-2011, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=mowin;402561]IMO upstate is anywhere north of NYC..LOL
QUOTE]
I was thinking the exact same thing... :roflblack: :thumbup:

CyncySpyder
12-30-2011, 02:48 PM
:congrats: & :welcome:

Y-me
12-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Hi Danny,

I'm in Rockland and Delaware counties mostly but ride anywhere/everywhere. :f_spider:

Best,
Phil

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Welcome, i know where you'r coming from with the bike change thing...i had to give up my Wing for the same + reasons...so i was either going to be satisfied with the wind coming over the windshield of my COBRA or giving it up entirely until the SPYDER....You'r gonna love it....Mike....:thumbup:.....Come up and visit sometime I'm in VT. about 3 hrs. North

dannymax
12-30-2011, 03:14 PM
IMO upstate is anywhere north of NYC..LOL

Been in Spencertown many times over the yrs. Lots of pavement to explore come spring time...

[QUOTE=mowin;402561]IMO upstate is anywhere north of NYC..LOL
QUOTE]
I was thinking the exact same thing... :roflblack: :thumbup:

Come on guys....I could look down on the lights of Cornwall, Ontario from my house in the Adirondack Mtns.......now THAT'S upstate NY!! :ohyea:

They paved County #7 heading south from Spencertown....man, buttery smooth, great corners, lots of fun....short, but still fun! :2thumbs:

dannymax
12-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Welcome, i know where you'r coming from with the bike change thing...i had to give up my Wing for the same + reasons...so i was either going to be satisfied with the wind coming over the windshield of my COBRA or giving it up entirely until the SPYDER....You'r gonna love it....Mike....:thumbup:.....Come up and visit sometime I'm in VT. about 3 hrs. North

Sorry to hear that BK911, kinda stinks doesn't it! I really want to do the Kancamagus one more time, if at all possible....that must be somewhere near you isn't it?

johnwinslow
12-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Welcome your gonna luv it

arntufun
12-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks everybody for the great welcome!!

Yeah, I'm very familiar with your area Arntufun, one of my 'homes away from home' is in Amsterdam....the Super 8 on I-90! :roflblack: Lucky me, huh! :D
I'm about 45 min. east of Albany....practically next door by Spyder!

My house is about 30 seconds from the Super 8. :thumbup:

sealfloorboards
12-30-2011, 05:04 PM
:welcome: to the new life "after" My knees and balance brought me to three wheels also. I love my Spyder. My 1st. was an '09 RS SE5. Now am the proud owner of an "11 RT SE5. Today, if you can still drive a cage you can probably ride a Spyder. Very cool thing! Enjoy.

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

rnet
12-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Danny:welcome:Ron here, about an hour away from you to the south and west in Accord, NY. (that famous speedway) A must to get in the gawker group site, slow there now but when riding begins again...., plus we have the 2 biggest characters on spyderlovers.:roflblack: Look what is in store for next year. Again welcome.

coz
12-30-2011, 06:52 PM
glad to see you made it here.you're going to love the gawkers. this is a great site, very entertaining and educational, especially the joke thread in off topic:yikes::yes::yes::yikes:

dannymax
12-30-2011, 06:56 PM
My house is about 30 seconds from the Super 8. :thumbup:

Well I'll be darned....I love those 'small world' coincidences!! :clap:

:welcome: to the new life "after" My knees and balance brought me to three wheels also. I love my Spyder. My 1st. was an '09 RS SE5. Now am the proud owner of an "11 RT SE5. Today, if you can still drive a cage you can probably ride a Spyder. Very cool thing! Enjoy.

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

Yeah, the two seem to go together....when the nitrous Max toppled over on me in the driveway last year I began thinking I may have to go to a different vehicle....so in Feb. I traded the Max for an FJR1300....beautiful bike but still a bike. Then I ran across the '09 SM5 right near me in Chatham....it was like the planets had aligned just for me, so I bought it....and love it! Another huge plus for me is my wife loves it too...the V Max's scared her (she's much smarter than I am :lecturef_smilie:)....she would ride the Feej, under perfect conditions....but she loves to go on the Spyder, it's very cool not to have to be riding alone all the time!

Danny:welcome:Ron here, about an hour away from you to the south and west in Accord, NY. (that famous speedway) A must to get in the gawker group site, slow there now but when riding begins again...., plus we have the 2 biggest characters on spyderlovers.:roflblack: Look what is in store for next year. Again welcome.

Hey Ron, I cruise up & down on the east side of the Hudson all the time....very simple to hop over the Kingston/Rhinecliff Br and hook up with you guys on the west side....practically next door by Spidey standards! :ohyea:

dannymax
12-30-2011, 07:01 PM
glad to see you made it here.you're going to love the gawkers. this is a great site, very entertaining and educational, especially the joke thread in off topic:yikes::yes::yes::yikes:

Hey coz....yes, I did make it, thanks for putting me on to this site! Man, what a welcome....makes a guy feel really good, some great folks here! :bowdown:

I notice you're a Gawker too....do you come over from Cinci much?

Hawk Eye
12-30-2011, 07:10 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: you found the best on the web. It only gets better with miles.

Hawk Eye :yes: :yes:

rnet
12-30-2011, 07:14 PM
Hey coz....yes, I did make it, thanks for putting me on to this site! Man, what a welcome....makes a guy feel really good, some great folks here! :bowdown:

I notice you're a Gawker too....do you come over from Cinci much?There's a story behind this and I'm waiting for it. It's a riot:roflblack:

dannymax
12-30-2011, 07:39 PM
There's a story behind this and I'm waiting for it. It's a riot:roflblack:

Nothin' beats a funny story....come on coz....give it up!! ;)

coz
12-30-2011, 07:52 PM
i'm an honorary gawker. several n y riders got together to ryde through the flood areas, earlier this year. i totally misinterpreted the purpose of the ride' as a gawking mission' thereby pi$$ing some people off. hence the name ''gawkers''. l have been forgiven, and joined the n y spyder riders as a gesture of goodwill.

rnet
12-30-2011, 08:00 PM
i'm an honorary gawker. several n y riders got together to ryde through the flood areas, earlier this year. i totally misinterpreted the purpose of the ride' as a gawking mission' thereby pi$$ing some people off. hence the name ''gawkers''. l have been forgiven, and joined the n y spyder riders as a gesture of goodwill.And if you do get out here we definitely need to go on a group ride. Need a place to stay, you are welcome.

dannymax
12-30-2011, 08:11 PM
i'm an honorary gawker. several n y riders got together to ryde through the flood areas, earlier this year. i totally misinterpreted the purpose of the ride' as a gawking mission' thereby pi$$ing some people off. hence the name ''gawkers''. l have been forgiven, and joined the n y spyder riders as a gesture of goodwill.

Ah...I got it! I was really wondering about the 'Gawkers' name.....all I could picture was a bunch of sneeker wearing OG's sitting on the benches at the mall, staring at the young girls butts!! :yikes::yikes:
I'm relieved!! :roflblack: :yikes:

rnet
12-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Ah...I got it! I was really wondering about the 'Gawkers' name.....all I could picture was a bunch of sneeker wearing OG's sitting on the benches at the mall, staring at the young girls butts!! :yikes::yikes:
I'm relieved!! :roflblack: :yikes:That ride that coz was refiring to was called "The No Gawking Tour". We all had a blast with it.

PCBeachBum
12-30-2011, 08:57 PM
:welcome: Dan? Looks like you found some very good Spyder Lovers to ryde with when the weather gets better. I to had to give up two wheels with a bad knee and ankles along with a problem with balance. Just walking I tend to tip over and in 1977, I had to give up my '65 650 Lightening Rocket. I hated to see it go but a friend bought it in CT, where I grew up and still has it in his Sport Shop. I didn't find the Spyder til March 2009 and one day 32 years later I visited the local dealer. Sitting on it and standing up on the pegs, I rocked it back and forth and said! Where do I sign? I haven't looked back and it surprises many people with its power.

You can take the man out of the wind but not the wind out of the man. Enjoy you new machine. :thumbup:

Brian (PCBeachBum)

arntufun
12-30-2011, 08:58 PM
Coz was a great Sport with the No Gawking Tour. He handled the backlash like a man and also knows a great guy and dog that we know in Cinci, OH (Dave and Teddy). :thumbup:

dannymax
12-30-2011, 09:15 PM
:welcome: Dan? Looks like you found some very good Spyder Lovers to ryde with when the weather gets better. I to had to give up two wheels with a bad knee and ankles along with a problem with balance. Just walking I tend to tip over and in 1977, I had to give up my '65 650 Lightening Rocket. I hated to see it go but a friend bought it in CT, where I grew up and still has it in his Sport Shop. I didn't find the Spyder til March 2009 and one day 32 years later I visited the local dealer. Sitting on it and standing up on the pegs, I rocked it back and forth and said! Where do I sign? I haven't looked back and it surprises many people with its power.

You can take the man out of the wind but not the wind out of the man. Enjoy you new machine. :thumbup:

Brian (PCBeachBum)

Hey Brian,yeah, it sure does look that way....just hope I can keep up with them! :spyder: Love those ol' Beezers, I built a few Triumphs 'back in the day,' great machines other than the 'Prince of Darkness' electrics...(Mr. Lucas)! You know why the Brits drink warm beer...right? Lucas Electrics makes refrigerators! :roflblack:

Coz was a great Sport with the No Gawking Tour. He handled the backlash like a man and also knows a great guy and dog that we know in Cinci, OH (Dave and Teddy). :thumbup:

I am indebted to Coz for getting me to this site, so he's OK in my book too! :bowdown:

coz
12-30-2011, 09:16 PM
i tried to talk them out of the ''gawkers'' name, but i guess it didn't work-:popcorn:

arntufun
12-30-2011, 09:32 PM
i tried to talk them out of the ''gawkers'' name, but i guess it didn't work-:popcorn:

We will change it in the upcoming year, How do you know Danny ???

coz
12-30-2011, 10:03 PM
i was looking for more cincy owners on canam spyder forums, and he was looking for answers to trailer questions so i suggested he sign up here, that was last week. now we have another new member:thumbup: ain't it great?

mowin
12-31-2011, 12:13 PM
We will change it in the upcoming year, How do you know Danny ???

We will always be known as the "gawkers", even if the official name changes...

Want to start working on a logo design again after the holidays. We need some shirts:2thumbs:

wyliec
12-31-2011, 01:43 PM
We will always be known as the "gawkers", even if the official name changes...

Want to start working on a logo design again after the holidays. We need some shirts:2thumbs:

Just my input: 'ryders' No, 'riders' Yes. Whatever else you come up with is fine, except we'll never all agree.:banghead:

MikeinGA
12-31-2011, 04:34 PM
Welcome to Spyder Lovers a lot of good information and other stuff.

Mike

dannymax
12-31-2011, 04:58 PM
Welcome to Spyder Lovers a lot of good information and other stuff.

Mike

Thanks Mike....yes, there is a ton of good info here! My back's all screwed up today so I spent most of the afternoon watching Lamonster's & Arntufun's videos...now I can't wait to get out in the shop and see how much I remember!! :D

arntufun
12-31-2011, 05:30 PM
Take your computer out to the garage, or if you really are nervous I'm not that far from you. :thumbup:

dannymax
12-31-2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks man, that's really nice of you! I could even stay at the "8"....eh? :D

Just kidding, I should be able to stay out of any real trouble till at least summer, but having a computer in the shop has some real promise. :thumbup: