PDA

View Full Version : Kewlmetal helmet locks

Arr MiHardies
12-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Anyone have any comments on the kewlmetal helmet locks? Anyone use em?
http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=5&products_id=523

Bob Denman
12-29-2011, 01:27 PM
I've heard some issues with the lockwork sticking a bit, but I'm still looking at them as a potential target... :thumbup:

packbuckbrew
12-29-2011, 02:21 PM
I have the locks that fit on the ends of the handle bars and I have had no issues.

fastfraser
12-29-2011, 04:38 PM
I have had no issues as well .It is some times a pain in the butt getting the key lined up in the dark ,but nothing a flashlight didn't cure. They are a little on the pricey side but what isn't these days ?

bluestratos
12-29-2011, 04:39 PM
If you lock the helmut this way it hangs upside down, what if it rains (we see plenty here on the west coast)?

Regards,

Dragonrider
12-29-2011, 04:58 PM
First, never ride in the rain.
Second, only ride in the rain, if you have no other option
Third, rain doesn't matter if you follow rule #1 &/or #2

I've had them on every bike I've owned in the last 5+ years, & love them. However, they don't have a kit for my RT, and they don't have black ones anyway, so I don't have a set on my RT….

Arr MiHardies
12-29-2011, 05:05 PM

I've had them on every bike I've owned in the last 5+ years, & love them. However, they don't have a kit for my RT, and they don't have black ones anyway, so I don't have a set on my RT….

the link in the OP is for the RT. but yes, its not available in black.

spyderflyer
12-29-2011, 07:19 PM
I had a set and key went i was open it , the key broke when i try to open it had to call AAA to get hack saw :(

bluestratos
12-30-2011, 06:50 PM

I see, so still looking for a better option. I have a trunk rack I guess I have to lock it on that with a cable and small pad lock.

Thanks

mooneych
12-30-2011, 08:49 PM
I have a set, and they work fine if you keep them lubed. If you don't, you could be in trouble.

Once the D ring is locked, you can rest the inside of the helmet on the grip. Be sure to remove your Cardo from your helmet before you leave.

bone crusher
12-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Anyone have any comments on the kewlmetal helmet locks? Anyone use em?
http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=5&products_id=523

Never heard of anyone stealing a helmet, but I'm sure it happens...I have a large rear Givi trunk, so it goes in there...however, I've been known to take my helmet with me inside if I have no room for it anywhere...

hspyder
12-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Steel cable and a padlock thru the handlebars on the rear seat and thru the helmet opening. I can get two helmets locked on a upright position. I think I paid $15.00 at harbor freight. I can even lock my jacket thru one of the sleeves if I want to.
Here is the lock:
http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-bike-lock-and-cable-66364.html:thumbup:

Bob Denman
12-31-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm considering a couple of sets of handcuffs to keep the helmets where I leave them...

dannymax
12-31-2011, 11:09 AM
I'm considering a couple of sets of handcuffs to keep the helmets where I leave them...

Hmmm, this has possibilities....get the velvet lined ones.....to protect the helmets, of course! ;)

tuck
12-31-2011, 11:22 AM
I just use the locks that are on the spyder under the seat on our 2011 RT.

Arr MiHardies
12-31-2011, 01:12 PM
I just use the locks that are on the spyder under the seat on our 2011 RT.

Huh? What locks? You must be pulling my leg.

Lone Spyder Ryder
12-31-2011, 01:47 PM
Works good for me. Wish they had the hook for sale by its self. Lost mine.

tuck
12-31-2011, 02:34 PM
Arr
Not pulling your leg. Under the seat on both sides is a little plastic tang that is about 3/4 inch wide and sticks toward the inside and is about one inch long. Hook the metal loop of the helmet strap over it and lock the seat down.

Leslee
01-07-2012, 03:54 PM
We have the KewlMetal helmet locks on our handlebars. Jazz up the look in my opinion and so far no problems.