PDA

View Full Version : FRS Radios

tuck
12-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Has anyone tried using FRS radios with throat mics for short range communications???

Dustybell
12-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Being brand new, very little time as a passenger and being turned loose as a driver, I wanted to be able to contact hubby. We went the cheaper route as we didn't know how it would all work out. We already had the radios left over from my daughter's livestock showing days at state fair.

At highway speeds, we really couldn't hear each other. Too much static. But from 40mph and below, we could hear each other clear.

So for us, it was usable when cruising through town and stopped but not on the highway. Do like it when we do scenic routes and cruising to new towns as I'm still a little intimated.

Hope this helps some.
Leslie

tuck
12-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Leslie
Thanks for your input
Ed

Phil
12-29-2011, 11:18 PM
Leslie- I'm wondering if the static was really wind noise. It can sound like static.

I'm thinking that an FRS with a noise canceling boom mic or throat mic might work fairly well on open road. I know there are many here that use them all the time. Remember that FRS like CB and GMRS is a shared radio service.

Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk

NancysToy
12-30-2011, 09:36 AM
We haven't had good luck with them, when connected to our Starcom1 comm system. Communications was spotty at best. Part of that was probably our selection of radios, and part was because of the radio location. When hooked to the comm system, they wer pretty well tucked away, with at least one antenna horizontal. I think you may have better luck with the units tucked into your jacket pockets and wired directly to the speakers and mics. Be sure to select radios that are designed for use with auxilliary mics and headsts. Many to not play well with connected accessories.

As an alternative, you might want to consider a wireless comm system such as the Cardo Scala or the Sena.

Dustybell
12-30-2011, 11:33 AM
It is probably wind noise. I have a full face but my hubby does not. What I do like about them is that the rest of our crew also bought headsets and used their radios they already had for some reason or the other. So we have seven of us that can communicate.

Just would like it to be clear at higher speeds.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I have a small camera case that I zip-tied to the left handlebar and the radio fits perfect into it so the antenna is always out. My hubby has his in one of the pouches of his windshield bag and leaves the antenna out. We haven't really had any problem with signal.

Leslie

dancogan
12-30-2011, 03:20 PM
...As an alternative, you might want to consider a wireless comm system such as the Cardo Scala or the Sena.

This might be the best recommendation for a simple intercom type system. I have used an FRS radio with an Autocom system I installed in a prior bike. It provided good communication with my wife in the motorhome. Autocom is one of the best and most sophisticated systems available. I believe Sena is now offering some type of device that will allow you to tie in a 2-way radio to the Sena intercom.

As a general rule, CB is the most prevalent 2-way communication among motorcyclists, and is used by many Harley and GW riders. FRS actually provides clearer communication, but over shorter distances.

tompen
12-31-2011, 09:21 AM
I have been using FRS/GMRS radios with the Nolan Ncom helmet system. Make sure you get 5 watt radios and use a GMRS channel. I have tried several radios and you will need an amplified helmet set to hear at speed. The Midland radios I am using now claim 30 mile range and are good for about a mile. You can get a Midland CB radio for about $100.00 that will connect to ther same helmet set as FRS radios. If you just want to communicate with 2 or 3 bikes consider the new blue tooth units from Scala. They claim 1 mile range and are good for about half that. They are wireless though. There are a lot of options. You can get a little crazy picking out the right one for you.

Bob Denman
12-31-2011, 10:09 AM
We experimented with a couple of Motorola FRS radios to see if a proper intercom would be useful in our future. :thumbup: We used boom mikes and they worked fine... Since we wear modular helmets, they were protected from the wind and we had no trouble communicating.
So now we're deciding on just what intercom will fit the bill! :2thumbs:

Marker
12-31-2011, 11:11 AM
http://cyclebots.com/bluetooth-adapters/sena-sr10-bluetooth-audio-gateway.html

Was thinking of getting this gateway and a midland portable cb radio to go with our bluetooth headsets .