PDA

View Full Version : Spyderlovers 2011 - A Year In Review

arntufun
12-28-2011, 08:02 AM
This thread is intended to look back at 2011 Spyderlovers and to remember the things that stood out to you. This could be anything from comments, pictures, people you have met, or anything that created a lasting memory for you in 2011.

A couple of things stand out in my mind from this past year. First, there was a guy who was selling a Helmet on this forum for $40.00 One member made a comment that a $40.00 helmet was for a $40.00 head and the thread took a turn from there. :yikes:

Secondly, was a member that put ape hangers on his Spyder. I never thought in a million years someone would do this. But he did !!! Although I would not do it, it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. :thumbup:

What's your memory ???

Bob Denman
12-28-2011, 08:29 AM
2011... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_12.gif

stutzmason
12-28-2011, 08:32 AM
found this forum, and got my Spyder. 2011 has been kind.:thumbup:

chris56
12-28-2011, 08:36 AM
to meet other ryders is always one of highlites of the year - was not a perfect organisation - but a nice weekend 2.000 mls ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7TGDy6jLY0

zrc
12-28-2011, 08:49 AM
2011 for me has been an absolute whirlwind. From changing jobs 3 times, to a divorce, to finding an amazing woman, to finding spyderlovers.com and meeting the infamous Cowtown Len (over the phone) and ever lovely Sierra (also over the phone). Deciding to talk to cowtown on a Tuesday, and having a spyder delivered on that Following Saturday, less than 4 days. Taking Scuba classes, living in 3 different states in one year.

To me, the year has been some kind of reality check. Now here I be, getting ready to start a new year on the cusp of something almost dreamlike. Im new here, and this year my goal is to meet as many of the "family" as possible, so far I have met George and Jack in Chattanooga, talked to Len, Lamont and Sierra on the phone. And sent countless emails to members of this forum.

While that is the year that was, the year that will be should hold to a better fun account. I plan to attend spyderfest in April, the owners event in the summer and be at Lamont's as the summer winds down. In between there are countless other things to do, including attempt an ironbutt ride, finish being SCUBA certified, maybe head over to Sturgis in the wake of Lamonts RTS if he needs another ryder for the trip, and just live life one day at a time. The only other work I have left out there dangling is that I am going to finishing Moxi's training and hopefully certifying her like Teddy to be a therapy dog.

I say all those things here because I have found in life that if we do not stand out, stand up, and stay what we want to be held accountable for, then we never have to truly take action.

I'm definately the new kid on the Spyderlovers block, but I aint much of a guy to sit by quietly and let life happen around me, so I hope to make a splash, and be seen and heard, and maybe one day, when people read the forums I will be as cool as Arntufun and Bob D.

wyliec
12-28-2011, 08:51 AM
I remember a new member (no names mentioned to protect the innocent) that came on here, towards the beginning of the year, and we both got off to a bad start and then being placed on someone's ignore list; lesson learned. .

arntufun
12-28-2011, 09:28 AM
I remember a new member (no names mentioned to protect the innocent) that came on here, towards the beginning of the year, and we both got off to a bad start and then being placed on someone's ignore list; lesson learned. .

Those were the days !!!! :roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
12-28-2011, 10:37 AM
I've been giving some thought to this one... EXCELLENT idea for a thread! :2thumbs:
While no one thread stands out; I'd have to say that the overall feeling of camaradie and fellowship does! This is a great group of folks and my one regret is that I'm just too tied to my desk here to get out and meet as many of you as I'd like... :opps:

And yes... I do spend too much time pounding away on my keyboard! :opps:
I hope that I do help to keep the mood light! :D

cjackg
12-28-2011, 10:54 AM
I remember the amazing solo finish of the Florida Express Triangle Ride by this character!

BajaRon
12-28-2011, 11:11 AM
I remember the amazing solo finish of the Florida Express Triangle Ride by this character!

It doesn't seem to matter what year it is... Forrest is always taking a lot of heat! :yikes: I guess 2011 is no different. I just wonder how he will ever top his ditch jumping event. That was 2010 and he was not able to best that effort this year. Maybe he's in training! :dontknow:

SheWolf
12-28-2011, 11:58 AM
I met you guys!!:yes: Then I took a Spyder for a test rip and was hooked. Uh oh...:yikes::pray::thumbup:

SteveMac
12-28-2011, 12:16 PM
This thread is intended to look back at 2011 Spyderlovers and to remember the things that stood out to you. This could be anything from comments, pictures, people you have met, or anything that created a lasting memory for you in 2011.

A couple of things stand out in my mind from this past year. First, there was a guy who was selling a Helmet on this forum for $40.00 One member made a comment that a $40.00 helmet was for a $40.00 head and the thread took a turn from there. :yikes:

Secondly, was a member that put ape hangers on his Spyder. I never thought in a million years someone would do this. But he did !!! Although I would not do it, it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. :thumbup:

Hmmm. I seem to recall both of those. Both the Ape hanger guy and the guy with the $40 dollar head are still around somewhere. LOL. And the helmet known as Daytona Bob may still appear at Spyderfest! As for the flamethrower. Who knows?

A few stand out for me too. My first SpyderFest in April kicked my wife and I off on a great adventure all because of the folks here at SpyderLovers. I have met up with great folks on various rides all over the country.

Yazz's trip to Alaska and her wonderful blog will be forever in my mind. Amazing sites that I want to see someday.

And yes the combination of ironman Forrest completing the Triangle solo was legendary interwoven with the sadness of a Spyderless DocDoru for the latter part of the year!

Sent from SteveMac's iPhone using Tapatalk

ThreeFeet
12-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Getting my RT by SUPRISE!!! Selling my "baby corvette" :(( can't ryde 2 at a time) Great rydes thru Ia,Wi,Il,In,Kn,Tn,Nc. Great BBQ!!!! Met lotsa really special folks. ( and Teddy of course!) Spyderfest 2011!!! Amazing how that went, due to a lot of the Mogang working together and gettenrdone!!! Sad stuff lost the last of the Frahms this Dec. One 93 yrold and one 89 yr old. in jan. But their memories are with me. I can still ryde as the weather here in Mo is still warmer than in Northern Wi!!! or MN. :coffee:nojoke

GI Jane
12-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Losing the wonderful Irish2theMax...his memory lives on.

Yol Bolsun
12-28-2011, 01:15 PM
What a year...

Mar - saw first Spyder commercial, visited dealer, joined SpyderLovers and started to REALLY learn what this is all about, stalled...and stalled...hemmed and hawwed...
Apr - ordered RT with stuff!
May - receive Spyder RT, SWMBO (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?6968-sewnonnie) and I met fellow SpyderLovers Hawk (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?7229-Hawk) and his wife at our dealership
June - Maggie Valley Owners Event - spydie sense went into overload:yikes:
July - first meeting of Georgia Spyder Riders (6 Spyders)
Sep - second meeting of the Georgia Spyder Riders (18 Spyders) AND another Spyder in the garage:yikes: This time, an '08 SM5 for SWMBO (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?6968-sewnonnie)
Oct - third meeting for the Georgia Spyder Riders (18 Spyders and 2 bikes) and more new friends
Dec - meet at Mtn Motorsports in Conyers, GA. Just fun, about 12 folks and more new friends and fellow Spyder Riders.

And thru all of this, the main THREADS binding everything, Spyders and fellow SpyderLovers and friends, both real and virtual. Really looking forward to 2012.

Also, once again, THANK YOU LAMONT for SpyderLovers.com

bullant12
12-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Who can forget the Soap Opera (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?24349-The-word-is-getting-out-about-Spyderfest)??? The countdown to Spyderfest 2011 and the adventures of Forrest, Doc and the other crazy characters?!?!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

And what is happening to Season 2 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?32275-The-Days-of-Our-Spyders-or-As-The-Spyder-Turns)?:chat: :dontknow:

rcdurango
12-28-2011, 01:44 PM
2011 for me has been an absolute whirlwind. From changing jobs 3 times, to a divorce, to finding an amazing woman, to finding spyderlovers.com and meeting the infamous Cowtown Len (over the phone) and ever lovely Sierra (also over the phone). Deciding to talk to cowtown on a Tuesday, and having a spyder delivered on that Following Saturday, less than 4 days. Taking Scuba classes, living in 3 different states in one year.

To me, the year has been some kind of reality check. Now here I be, getting ready to start a new year on the cusp of something almost dreamlike. Im new here, and this year my goal is to meet as many of the "family" as possible, so far I have met George and Jack in Chattanooga, talked to Len, Lamont and Sierra on the phone. And sent countless emails to members of this forum.

While that is the year that was, the year that will be should hold to a better fun account. I plan to attend spyderfest in April, the owners event in the summer and be at Lamont's as the summer winds down. In between there are countless other things to do, including attempt an ironbutt ride, finish being SCUBA certified, maybe head over to Sturgis in the wake of Lamonts RTS if he needs another ryder for the trip, and just live life one day at a time. The only other work I have left out there dangling is that I am going to finishing Moxi's training and hopefully certifying her like Teddy to be a therapy dog.

I say all those things here because I have found in life that if we do not stand out, stand up, and stay what we want to be held accountable for, then we never have to truly take action.

I'm definately the new kid on the Spyderlovers block, but I aint much of a guy to sit by quietly and let life happen around me, so I hope to make a splash, and be seen and heard, and maybe one day, when people read the forums I will be as cool as Arntufun and Bob D.

Very well said, welcome to Spyderlovers. See you in April!

rcdurango
12-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Well it was a year! Started out with a Love/Hate relationship with the Spyder for sure. Going threw and working the bugs out was
a bit uncomfortable at first. Joining this web site was something that helped me keep what little hair I have. Thank you! Then
in the Spring going to Spyderfest with the wife was so much fun. Can't wait to do it again.
On top of that was a couple trips on Spyder that my wife and I will never forget. Doing the whole gulf coast of Florida down to Key West and back up A1A where we stopped and had Corbin seat installed. Great Mod by the way. Then in September we did a trip to Michigan along the coast and into the UP. Great ride again! Once we got to Cooper Harbor we realized that we had done Hwy 41 from start to finish. But here's the best part and I'm sure most of you guys would agree, We have meet a lot of good people and have seen and done
things that we would have never done without owning our Spyder.
So out with the old and in with the new year. Wife and I did 13000 miles in 2011 and hope we beat that next year.

ARtraveler
12-28-2011, 02:32 PM
I will have to think about this one also. It has been quite a year, newly divorced, moved to a new home, met a wonderful lady, looking forward to the adventures 2012 will bring.

Started out by disagreeing with Arntufun about pin up photos, but that's all water over the dam. Turns, out, he and Holly are quite nice people, and hope we can meet up sometime.

It has also been great watching others evolve as the year passed by. Lots of great camaradarie on this site.

flamingobabe
12-28-2011, 03:05 PM
WOW!!! where do I begin....

1st: to Lamonster for Spyderlover.com and all the spyderlovers I have met in person and online....
2nd: my Spyder in January of 2011
my Spyder December 2011
that I have been able to add all the mods and put over 18,000 miles in 2011
I LOVE MY SPYDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPYD1
12-28-2011, 08:57 PM
To all the people that we shared many good times with in the U.P. of Michigan:clap::clap: Thank-You:yes::yes:...and those you have answered many questions for us:thumbup: especially my Battle Creek Professor. We are looking forward to 2012.

GloryRyders
12-29-2011, 06:36 AM
"Upgrading" from the 2009 RS to our 2011 RT Ltd. in August.............makes a BIG difference, and our friends and family in the MoGang. It's been a great year!:2thumbs:

stillriding
12-29-2011, 06:54 AM
Well, let's see. There was the protracted and extremely wet ride from Ohio to Missouri for Spyderfest. Then my RTS was incarcerated at a dealer for 38 days. However, 2011 allowed me to experience tremendous service at Cowtown, meet delightful Spyderlovers at Spyderfest and marvel at the friendly and helpful people who live and work in and around Cuba, MO. See you in April!

jimclarkf1
12-29-2011, 08:02 AM
Going to SPYDERFEST 2 and meeting a lot of GREAT PEOPLE. 1 was MURPHYBROWN, awsome gal, and looking forward to SPYDERFEST 3.

sealfloorboards
12-29-2011, 09:10 AM
My Spyder Year was one that I could not have dreamed. At SpyderFest, I traded my '09 RS SE5 for the Spyderest RT SE5 Limited edition. Rode over 10,000 miles from May to Oct 1st. Went to Spyders in the Redwoods.......what a blast, helped form SpydersRiders of America the Columbia River Chapter and went on tons of 200 mi. + rides around Oregon. Just finishing up my 1st. full year of Seal FloorBoards and have been overwhelmed with it's acceptance and growth......wow!!!

Hopefully 2012 will see my dream come true, of crossing the the US from Oregon to SpyderFest, to North Carolina to see Sis and then meandering back to Oregon. What an adventure for a gimpy old man who will turn 70 on the road. Livin' the dream.

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

arntufun
12-29-2011, 09:27 AM
"Upgrading" [/B]from the 2009 RS to our 2011 RT Ltd. in August.............makes a BIG difference, and our friends and family in the MoGang. It's been a great year!:2thumbs:

Don't think I did not catch that BS !!! :roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
12-29-2011, 10:58 AM
I think that Holly put them up to posting that... :roflblack:

Lamonster
12-29-2011, 01:01 PM
This year was quite an adventure for me. I made new friends, rode to new places and old and ended the year with a new RT. :thumbup:

I think one of the most memorable event for me was riding back from the Spyder 5 meeting in Hollywood. I was in some of the worst heat I've ever been in and dodged some of the worst weather of this year while on that trip. I missed baseball size hail and damaging tornado's by hours all while riding solo. I truly believe the prayers of this group got me home safe on that one.

Spyderfest was not looking good weather wise either and we did have some bad weather going out there but it broke long enough to have a great event and that was an answer to prayer too. :pray:

I would say that 2011 was one of the best years for me Spyder wise and I'm looking forward to an even better 2012. :thumbup:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38705&d=1325115773

GloryRyders
12-30-2011, 07:11 AM
I think that Holly put them up to posting that... :roflblack:

:lecturef_smilie:And I didn't even wait until the check cleared! :roflblack: :roflblack:

mowin
12-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Picked up my spyder. Met some great spyder people on the "Gawker Ryde" and saw the devastation the floods caused.

Realised just how strong this spyderlovers family is when I lost my nephew. The support was increadable.

Learned how tricky these things are to work on. Always great info here to tap into.

And most inporant....... NEVER to put spydie in storrage to early. :banghead::banghead:

Papa
12-30-2011, 03:13 PM
I entered 2011 with a total of 1,300 mile son motorcycles in my life. After two trips to Cuba, the World Famous Lamont BBQ and the Maggie Valley Owners event (rode the Dragon 3 times!), I'm now up to 9,500 miles. Great year, great new friends more to look forward to in 2012.

I wish everyone on SL a Happy, Healthy, SAFE and Prosperous New Year...;