PDA

View Full Version : Review: Bike Barn trike barn

daveinva
12-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Just felt like sharing ('tis the season, after all!).

Bike Barn: http://www.thebikebarn.net/smartbarn_model.html

Living without a garage, I bought the trike model from Bike Barn for my driveway. They're not cheap-- $450 *before* shipping and any extras-- but they're nicely made.

Assembly was hampered by confusing instructions (aren't they always?), but aided greatly by having an extra pair of hands (one person could put this together, but it'd take you a day and a thousand swear words... trust me, offer a buddy some beer and it'll go MUCH faster). Total assembly time was about two hours or so, would have gone faster with clearer instructions.

It's big enough to fit my RS with some room to spare up front for a little Suncast seat box to store gear, plus space for the little dehumidifier heater that Bike Barn sells as an accessory. There are photos of a Goldwing Trike on the Bike Barn site; the RS fits better than that, with more room on the sides of the wheels (not a LOT more room, but it's not as cozy as that Goldwing looks). If you own an RT, it's plenty big for one, but I doubt you'd have room for anything else (I can park the RS further back because the rear isn't as high as the RT, giving me that space up front).

You can securely bolt down the Barn if you choose-- I didn't, I've got enough shelter from the wind in my driveway, plus the Spyder's front wheels roll over the bolt-down slats when it's parked inside, so it won't go anywhere with the Spyder inside (with it outside, if wind's trouble, you'd probably want to use a couple of sandbags to weight down the frame). You can also add included locking hardware to the frame, you'll just need two padlocks to secure it.

The cover is tough textile, it's not going to rip or tear during normal use. The cover has two velcro/mesh vent flaps on the sides to help move air through the Barn. The inside frame assembles through the cover like a pole tent, again it's easiest with two people. The inside frame provides plenty of attachment points for hooks, straps, mechanic's lights, etc., if you so choose.

The Barn's about 6 feet wide, and my driveway's about 9 feet wide from the side of my house to my neighbor's fence, so it leaves enough room to fit past it heading to my backyard. If I ever need to move it, two people can easily lift it up and carry it even after it's assembled.

Using the Barn is easy as anything- just lift it up accordion style, then shut it. Biggest inconvenience is that it's not really recommended to ride the Spyder *into* the Barn-- I stop a few feet from it, then just roll the Spyder the rest of the way into the Barn.

Anyway... again, it's not cheap, but it's a solidly-made product that appears built to last more than a season or two, so for those folks without a garage, it's a great option. I'll add some pictures later when I can.

JCSMOKE
12-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Nice review, thanks. See guys some times good things come out of D.C.:D

mowin
12-27-2011, 03:56 PM
I like it, but dont think it would hold up In areas with heaver snow amounts.

bruiser
12-27-2011, 08:33 PM
I like it, but dont think it would hold up In areas with heaver snow amounts.

They're made in Canada, any other questions?

DynamoBT
12-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Anchor it down well. I know someone who had the bike barn for the Ninja 250. Wind took it over twice. When it came time to get a bigger bike the only damge to the 250 was from when it went over with the bike barn.

Otherwise, I've been told they are very nice.

daveinva
12-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Anchor it down well. I know someone who had the bike barn for the Ninja 250. Wind took it over twice. When it came time to get a bigger bike the only damge to the 250 was from when it went over with the bike barn.

Otherwise, I've been told they are very nice.

I'm lucky in where my barn is-- next to my high house, with a tall wooden fence behind, a long driveway ahead, and a tall metal fence on the other side. There's never any wind to speak of in my driveway, it ain't going anywhere (especially not with the Spyder inside- again, the wheels rest on the securing plates, the barn can't move at all with it inside).

Plus- it's not like the Spyder's gonna fall over :joke:

ValleySpyder
12-28-2011, 12:57 AM
I was going to get that Cool looking dome thing from Bike Barn
I was heavily looking at it and the Cycle shell for months comparing the two.
At the very end it came down to price.
I chose a 10x10 by ShelterLogic and I am very happy with my choice.
I bought it last December and anyone that lived in the Northeast in the beginning of 2011 knows that we had heavy snowfall every week that winter.
There was so much snow that roofs were caving in left and right and my new shed held up no problem.
Oh...there were also a couple tornado touchdowns in the area.( weird for Connecticut )
So if you don't want to spend $450 on the Bike Barn product...or $425 for the CycleShell product( both do not include shipping and handling ), then you can do what I did.
I decided to go with the Shelterlogic from the Home Depot website( because they actually have it cheaper than the ShelterLogic site) for $177.
...........and.......free shipping.
I will take a pic of it and post it on this thread later.
I hope this helps some people out there that are tight with their wallets.
Don't buy the posts either which are optional, it comes with them but they are useless if you live in a place that has many rocks(Northeast).
Just go to Home Depot or wherever ( Lowes ) and but some cinder blocks and tie the shed down to it.
Like I said before, there were a couple tornado touchdowns here and my Shed didn't fly away.
I'm pretty sure it would've if it actually came across it.
http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Organization-Sheds-Garages-Outdoor-Storage-Sheds-Plastic/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbu8zZ12l4/R-202065746/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

ValleySpyder
05-05-2012, 01:13 PM
45401Click on the picture for a better view.
This is the 10x10 shed that I purchased from the Home Depot website. They have it cheaper than the Shelterlogic site ( don't know why).
I purchased it on sale for $177.
I just looked it up and it costs $219. Still a good price. Free shipping and handling.
As you can see, it fits my Spyder and a lawnmower very comfortably.
I think it is a much better purchase than the CycleShell or the Bikebarn product. IMO.:clap:

Bob Denman
05-05-2012, 02:29 PM
That looks like a nice way to protect your Spyder from the elements! :thumbup: I think that the way that it's shaped should make it more than capable of handling any D.C, snow-load. After all; I'd imagine that all of the hot air coming from that Town would make snow a rare event! :roflblack: :shocked: Here come the Black Helicopters again... :yikes:
Even though you have it pretty well-sheltered against the wind; securing it to the ground would be a pretty good policy anyway. "Hope for the best, but plan for the worst!"
Continued Good Luck with it! :2thumbs: