PDA

View Full Version : Front Tires...

GnA
12-21-2011, 07:35 PM
These tires are the same size as the spyder front tires... has anyone tried them or know of any reason not to try them?

Michelin Energy Saver Tire- 165/65R14 79T BW (http://www.spyderlovers.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=165%2065r14&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CGYQgwgwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sears.com%2Fshc%2Fs%2Fp_10153 _12605_09572141000P%3Fsid%3DIDx20070921x00003a%26c i_src%3D14110944%26ci_sku%3D09572141000&ei=W3ryTuWtNYvKsQKB_uCUAQ&usg=AFQjCNHtp_K_YvqqlyUiZTLt2RXt9RPXAg)
$126.31 - Sears
Bridgestone Potenza RE92: 165/65R14 (https://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop.php?action=single&sku=302115101)
$82.00 - Tiresavings.com
Federal SS-657 165/65 R14 79T BSW All season tires (http://www.tires-easy.com/partner.pl?ID=froogle&Country=US&typ=R-133855)
$57.00 - tires-easy.com

SpydeRider2010
12-21-2011, 08:07 PM
haven't tried any of them... yet. but... one thing to keep in mind on
any "brand" switch is... side wall expansion and clearances. I have
"heard" not seen.. that the sidewalls on some Michelins do expand
and rub fenders/wells.

haven't seen it first hand; but it might be worth checking out to
avoid problems. IMHO FYI

joet82
12-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Personally, i wouldny go with the Michillins as the OEM tires are still $110 per...but i would also look at them lasting more then 20K miles, which is how far my first set went for me.

NancysToy
12-21-2011, 09:58 PM
There is a lot more to tires than just the size. You have to consider wet and dry traction, resistance to hydroplaning, and tread design...all of which are inter-related to some extent. None of these look suitable for the Spyder. I won't get into a discussion about directional vs. non-directional treads, but none of these tire tread patterns is open enough to the outside to limit hydroplaning. If you look at the Spyder tires, you will see that they are very open, directional, and made to "pump" water out from under the tire, limiting hydroplaning. A light vehicle like the Spyder hydroplanes readily, so that is important. You do not want to risk losing steering control and stopping ability. I'd stick with the stock tire, or a similar compound softness and tread pattern.

bobbobtar
12-21-2011, 10:16 PM
I have the Michelin Energy Saver on my RT-S and am very impressed with them especially in the rain. I got them from Discount Tire, and they mounted and balanced them for $118 each.

Wattsmyname
12-21-2011, 10:24 PM
You can safely go with Michelin 185's with no worries from my experience, the 185's clear the fenders with no problem. I went with these over the stock ones at only 2500 miles because #1) the Michelins are ROUND and #2) I can have a problem almost anywhere and find a Michelin dealer nearby, good luck with your choice

Roadkill
12-21-2011, 10:27 PM
+Bridgestone Potenzas kick ass on the front end of a GS.

http://www.roadkillonline.net/imagedb_images/35_10150.JPG
http://www.roadkillonline.net/imagedb_images/35_10178.JPG

Ride on.
Roadkill

MikeinGA
12-21-2011, 11:44 PM
There is a lot more to tires than just the size. You have to consider wet and dry traction, resistance to hydroplaning, and tread design...all of which are inter-related to some extent. None of these look suitable for the Spyder. I won't get into a discussion about directional vs. non-directional treads, but none of these tire tread patterns is open enough to the outside to limit hydroplaning. If you look at the Spyder tires, you will see that they are very open, directional, and made to "pump" water out from under the tire, limiting hydroplaning. A light vehicle like the Spyder hydroplanes readily, so that is important. You do not want to risk losing steering control and stopping ability. I'd stick with the stock tire, or a similar compound softness and tread pattern.

:agree:

Mike

GnA
12-22-2011, 12:41 AM

I hear what you are saying... but the description and ratings on the Potenza look pretty good. Plus it has been proven on some great cars. rated at 40,000 miles.

The Bridgestone Potenza RE92 all-season, world-class high performance tires
complement today?s sporty coupes, sedans and sports cars. The Potenza RE92
became popular because of its extensive use as original equipment on vehicles
like the Acura Integra, Infiniti Q45, Mazda 626 and Toyota Camry. High
performance handling combined with all-season traction. Tread design features
interlocking triangulated blocks and circumferential grooves which provide
excellent wet, dry and snow traction. Quiet and smooth ride Computer enhanced
tread design minimizes road noise and the polyester cord body promotes ride
comfort. Responsiveness, Handling and Cornering Hard rubber sidewall stiffeners
resist lateral (sideways) movement to maintain tire stability

NancysToy
12-22-2011, 07:20 AM
I wouldn't put to much stock into the manufacturer's advertising speech. According to them everything made is the latest, greatest, cheapest, very best yet. It is too bad motorcycle tires do not have a UTOG rating, so it was easier to compare to the car tires. At any rate, here are a couple more things for you to consider. First, any all-season tire has less dry traction than the equivalent high-performance tire. Good dry traction is critical on a fast cornering, lightweight vehicle. Spyders generally don't need snow tires. Second, these tires do not have a sufficient speed rating for a vehicle capable of 125-130 mph. Their "S" and "T" speed ratings of 112 mph to 115 mph are certainly marginal for a Spyder. The stock Spyder tires are "H" speed rated, to 130 mph. I would choose a tire with at least that high a rating.

Although I see no reason not to use an automotive tire with a similar, open tread pattern and the same or higher speed rating, price should not be a factor up front. The stock tires list for about $80 each, and are readily available online at $65-$70. Even with mounting and balancing, this shouldn't be any more expensive than the tires you mentioned. If it were me, I'd study up a bit on tires, and shop around some more.

Bob Denman
12-22-2011, 07:44 AM
:agree: Reading the sales hype is one thing; believing it is another! Scotty has brought up some EXCELLENT points about tread design, and he did mention that Spyders are much lighter than the vehicles for which these tires were designed...
That having been said; I'm trying the Potenzas when it's time to buy baby some new shoes up front...

NancysToy
12-22-2011, 10:31 AM
:agree: Reading the sales hype is one thing; believing it is another! Scotty has brought up some EXCELLENT points about tread design, and he did mention that Spyders are much lighter than the vehicles for which these tires were designed...
That having been said; I'm trying the Potenzas when it's time to buy baby some new shoes up front...
Be very careful! The Potenzas only have an "S" speed rating...much lower than the OEM tires. I would be very leery of fitting them on a Spyder.

zrc
12-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Be very careful! The Potenzas only have an "S" speed rating...much lower than the OEM tires. I would be very leery of fitting them on a Spyder.

Scotty does not live dangerously.

Bob Denman
12-22-2011, 11:16 AM
My own personal speed rating is lower than the Spyder's. And even the Potenza's! :roflblack:
Seriously though; What does the "S" speed rating mean? How fast can you go before the tires self-destruct? :shocked:

zrc
12-22-2011, 11:20 AM
My own personal speed rating is lower than the Spyder's. And even the Potenza's! :roflblack:
Seriously though; What does the "S" speed rating mean? How fast can you go before the tires self-destruct? :shocked:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

This will tell you more about speed ratings, tires, and other information pertaining to this topic, I currently run Z rated tires on my mustang and I am thinking when replacements come along, I will most likely replace what I have with higher rated tires, since I would like to really run the spyder hard. My current lady has only been ran at 120 mph.

NancysToy
12-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Actually, most folks would say that I do. I was a SCUBA diver and instructor for years. I raced karts, hydros, snowmobiles, motorcycles of all sorts, and front-engined fuel dragsters. I was a skydiver and glider pilot. I have gone off motorcycles at over 150 mph, and have caught on fire in race cars. I do take my safety equipment seriously, though, as well as the rules that govern these risky activities and the equipment needs that the engineers have determined to be necessary. That inclues tire ratings...no matter what speed you actually ride! Safety is no place to cut corners.

zrc
12-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Actually, most folks would say that I do. I wa a SCUBA diver and instructor for years. I raced karts, hydros, snowmobiles, motorcycle of all sorts, and front-engined fuel dragsters. I was a skydiver and glider pilot. I have gone off motorcycles at over 150 mph, and have caught on fire in race cars. I do take my safety equipment seriously, though, as well as the rules that govern these risky activities and the equipment needs that the engineers have determined to be necessary. That inclues tire ratings...no matter what speed you actually ride! Safety is no place to cut corners.

Well said!! I have just started really riding, my ownership of a 2 wheeler was short lived and not approved of by my exwife. So that plus I have signed up to get certified SCUBA myself! You are a role model!

SpydeRider2010
12-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Scotty's an old geezer :p

butcha gotta hand it to him...
he's got a lot of sound advise.

even for an opinionated old fart :bowdown:

NancysToy
12-22-2011, 09:09 PM

It's not the age, it's the mileage! :D

MikeinGA
12-22-2011, 09:20 PM
I hear what you are saying... but the description and ratings on the Potenza look pretty good. Plus it has been proven on some great cars. rated at 40,000 miles.

The Bridgestone Potenza RE92 all-season, world-class high performance tires
complement today?s sporty coupes, sedans and sports cars. The Potenza RE92
became popular because of its extensive use as original equipment on vehicles
like the Acura Integra, Infiniti Q45, Mazda 626 and Toyota Camry. High
performance handling combined with all-season traction. Tread design features
interlocking triangulated blocks and circumferential grooves which provide
excellent wet, dry and snow traction. Quiet and smooth ride Computer enhanced
tread design minimizes road noise and the polyester cord body promotes ride
comfort. Responsiveness, Handling and Cornering Hard rubber sidewall stiffeners
resist lateral (sideways) movement to maintain tire stability

They are great tires for cars, BUT a car is about 3 time heaver+ than a Spider and that is what Potenza tire was designed for. It's up to you what tires you buy. If you use the Potenza, please drive more slowly in turns, on highways in the wind, give yourself more stopping distance, and drive slowly in the rain. That's IMHO.

Mike

StriperKing
12-22-2011, 11:32 PM
These are the tires I went with. Many people have gone with the 185 60R14 over stock. They are a little wider but do fit and the diameter is so close to stock it has not caused any problems for those who have went with them. As far as Scottys advice, these tires fit all the stock features or better and is why I went with them. I also talked with tofriendscreek while on a ride who I believe has 20,000 miles on his and still had 2/3 tread left. He loved them so much and they looked so good for the mileage and they fit the bill so when I got home I ordered some.
http://www.tiresdirect.net/GENERAL_Altimax_HP_185_60R14_8_P4079C783.cfm

They are H-rated =130MPH, they are directional for excelent hydroplane prevention. They also have a stiffer sidewall which gives a sportier quicker response. Stiffer does mean a stiffer ride weather that is good or not is up to each riders preferances. Good luck with your search.

http://i.pgcdn.com/pi/73/76/31/737631796_260.jpg

GnA
12-23-2011, 01:25 AM
These are the tires I went with. Many people have gone with the 185 60R14 over stock. They are a little wider but do fit and the diameter is so close to stock it has not caused any problems for those who have went with them. As far as Scottys advice, these tires fit all the stock features or better and is why I went with them. I also talked with tofriendscreek while on a ride who I believe has 20,000 miles on his and still had 2/3 tread left. He loved them so much and they looked so good for the mileage and they fit the bill so when I got home I ordered some.

They are H-rated =130MPH, they are directional for excelent hydroplane prevention. They also have a stiffer sidewall which gives a sportier quicker response. Stiffer does mean a stiffer ride weather that is good or not is up to each riders preferances. Good luck with your search.

This looks like a great option... thanks!

Bob Denman
12-23-2011, 08:20 AM

They are H-rated =130MPH, they are directional for excelent hydroplane prevention. They also have a stiffer sidewall which gives a sportier quicker response. Stiffer does mean a stiffer ride weather that is good or not is up to each riders preferances.

Do those Generals come in the oem size too? I like that tread pattern! :2thumbs:

StriperKing
12-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Do those Generals come in the oem size too? I like that tread pattern! :2thumbs:
No they do not. I do not see many manufacturers making this size due to such low demand. There are not hardly any cars using it either and the ones who do are not performance cars so you will probably never see anything but just your average pasenger car tires. The diameter on these tires is almost exactly the same as OEM because it is a 60 series and the OEM is a 65 series. The OEM tires (165 65R14) are 22.4" in diameter and the 185 60R14 is 22.8" in diameter. So the .4" x π (pi) or 3.14 = 1.26". Every time the 185 60R14 roles one time it moves forward 1.26" farther than the OEM tire and that is next to nothing. The OEM tire moves 70.34" per rotation and the 185 moves 71.60" per rotation. Hope this helps.

Questions
12-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Adventurous people don't get to be old farts by making dumb calls - you might want to listen to the man.

SpydeRider2010
12-23-2011, 10:19 PM
have been... for almost a year. :thumbup:

he's got some interesting ideas and experience.
you have to pick what works on the situation. so
I take any info or ideas I can find. been riding for
45 yrs now... and am still learning. and loving
every minute of it :yes:

MR. H1956
04-14-2018, 10:13 AM
Well beam me up Scotty its time for a explore a new world. Sorry I had to say it.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-14-2018, 01:01 PM
Well beam me up Scotty its time for a explore a new world. Sorry I had to say it. If you are thinking about new tires for your Spyder ......... Dis-regard EVERYTHING that was posted before your post ( except TIRE AGE )........... The info is more than ....SEVEN years ago .............ancient history in the world of tires .... Some info is valid for a long time ....tire info isn't ........... Mike :thumbup:

Deanna777
04-14-2018, 02:15 PM
These tires are the same size as the spyder front tires... has anyone tried them or know of any reason not to try them?

Michelin Energy Saver Tire- 165/65R14 79T BW (http://www.spyderlovers.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=165%2065r14&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CGYQgwgwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sears.com%2Fshc%2Fs%2Fp_10153 _12605_09572141000P%3Fsid%3DIDx20070921x00003a%26c i_src%3D14110944%26ci_sku%3D09572141000&ei=W3ryTuWtNYvKsQKB_uCUAQ&usg=AFQjCNHtp_K_YvqqlyUiZTLt2RXt9RPXAg)
$126.31 - Sears
Bridgestone Potenza RE92: 165/65R14 (https://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop.php?action=single&sku=302115101)
$82.00 - Tiresavings.com
Federal SS-657 165/65 R14 79T BSW All season tires (http://www.tires-easy.com/partner.pl?ID=froogle&Country=US&typ=R-133855)
$57.00 - tires-easy.com What spyder model do you have?

Deanna