PDA

View Full Version : Ryding 3-up with a new "Best Friend"

Bob Denman
12-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Hi guys!
We lost our beloved Pug "Ozzie" a month ago and have once again discovered just how much of a hole is left in the life of a dog owner once their friend is no longer in their lives.
But now we're dipping our feet back into dog ownership and are trying to determine if it is feasible to have the passenger carry a very small dog (4 pounds or so) in the rear seating area.
Would those front-facing slings that folks carry their babys in work with a few modifications, or is there a better way? (Or should we forget this whole idea?)
We're trying to combine the Spydering part of our lives with the dog part...:thumbup:
Thanks for any advice that you can give!

NancysToy
12-20-2011, 08:35 AM
I think the last thing I would want to have as a passenger would be a squirming dog in my lap for a couple hundred miles, not to mention the extra heat of one during the summer. Not much room in between riders, either, so the rider would keep getting poked in the back. Heck, I complain even when my wife's purse wanders between us. If I were you, I'd consider installing one of Inspector Gadget's trunk racks, and put a carrier up there like Draboo did for Kiddo.

SpyderAnn01
12-20-2011, 09:07 AM
I tend to agree with Scotty on this one. What if your wife had the dog in front of her and you had to stop hard​? You might wind up with a flat dog.

pdxgoldwing
12-20-2011, 09:14 AM
and in the summer it would be a hot dog........sorry

CyncySpyder
12-20-2011, 09:40 AM
and in the summer it would be a hot dog........sorry
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
Bob, I sent you a PM with my thoughts on the subject & I have to agree with Scotty on this one. 3 up would be best if your new best friend had their own "perch" just to be safe. If I ever start to date again, this would be the way we would go for the Tedster :thumbup:

zrc
12-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Would prefer you place the SO on the luggage rack. I think it is HIS spyder after all, but I reckon Teddy could drive.

Bob Denman
12-20-2011, 10:09 AM
So I'm now guessing that one of the Inspector's racks and a secure perch on top of that would be considered the safest bet?
What kind of carrier do you think would offer the best combination of protection from wind and noise, yet still remain portable enough?
This would be for about a four pound or so Pomeranian...

GloryRyders
12-20-2011, 05:28 PM
So I'm now guessing that one of the Inspector's racks and a secure perch on top of that would be considered the safest bet?
What kind of carrier do you think would offer the best combination of protection from wind and noise, yet still remain portable enough?
This would be for about a four pound or so Pomeranian...

Could this be a new friend for Teddy :dontknow:.............if it's a little girl, romance could be in the air!:D

Marker
12-20-2011, 05:42 PM
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
Bob, I sent you a PM with my thoughts on the subject & I have to agree with Scotty on this one. 3 up would be best if your new best friend had their own "perch" just to be safe. If I ever start to date again, this would be the way we would go for the Tedster :thumbup:

So Dave, what you are saying is that the girl friend is on the back with the luggage and the Tedster is riding shot gun behind you after all the red sled is Teddy's and that way everyone has their own "perch just to be safe ". or am I missing something ??? :joke: :D:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::rof lblack: Anyways MERRY CHRISTMAS !

fencepost
12-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Bob, I sent you a PM.

Bob Denman
12-21-2011, 08:14 AM
...Got it and Thanks! :2thumbs::bowdown:
It's a girl... TinkerBell!
I don't know if we can allow her to date "bad Boys" like the Tedster...:lecturef_smilie: Not at least until she's 30 and out fo the house! And her Mother is dead... :roflblack::roflblack:

SteveMac
12-21-2011, 08:27 AM
...Got it and Thanks! :2thumbs::bowdown:
It's a girl... TinkerBell!
I don't know if we can allow her to date "bad Boys" like the Tedster...:lecturef_smilie: Not at least until she's 30 and out fo the house! And her Mother is dead... :roflblack::roflblack:

Get that bow out of her hair and give her a Mohawk Bob! Little ladies can have Mohawks too ya know!

She is a cutie.

wyliec
12-21-2011, 08:30 AM
Bob,

You see my avatar. She has been riding in a doggie pouch that the g.f. wears around her shoulders and in the front. We've been on trips to Americade, NJ., Connecticut, Kingston (NY) and R.I. and Boston to name a few with no problem.

The bottom line is, it's what you and the wife feel safe with. Of course, the safest place is- home.

SpyderAnn01
12-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Tinker Bell, really? I can see you at the park "Come on tinkle Tinker" :roflblack:

Bob Denman
12-21-2011, 09:00 AM
:shocked: Uhhhh... It'll be "Tink" when I'm doing the yelling... :thumbup: I was always the one who'd sya something like, "Getcherbuznessduncuzi'mnot standingaorundfornuttin!" :roflblack:

Wylie, Do you have a better-detailed picture of that pouch?

arntufun
12-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Bob, you can save money on that pouch and just use a Walmart bag. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
12-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Or just throw her in the Frunk... WHAT AM I SAYING??? :shocked: You'll get me killed if I get caught with something like that on the keyboard! :yikes:
She will be gently, safely and serenely carried in a climate-controlled, weatherproof, dangerproof pod that will always assure her of a pleasant journey on her Spyder... :roflblack:

CyncySpyder
12-21-2011, 09:45 AM
:thumbup: She sure is a cutie :thumbup:

Bob Denman
12-21-2011, 09:51 AM
...Melted our hearts... :ohyea:
So if you and "The Tedster" are in the area...http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_3_17.gif

CyncySpyder
12-21-2011, 10:28 AM
...Melted our hearts... :ohyea:
So if you and "The Tedster" are in the area...http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_3_17.gifNot sure if thats "in the area" of you or not? You plan on bringing Tink with you to Lamonsters BBQ or SpyderFest or the Owners Event?.?

Bob Denman
12-21-2011, 10:39 AM
SITA and Lake George are on our radar... Job pressures pretty much keep us within day-trip distances... :gaah:
But if I know what routes you'd be on for SITA; I've prowled those roads since I was a neer-do-well youth! (As opposed to what I've become... :shocked:)

SteveMac
12-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Seriously why would the frunk be such a bad place? You buy a second hood of the correct color and modify it so Tink can poke her face out into the wind with her own little windshield to protect her from bugs and excessive wind blast. You might have to build a removable perch in the frunk also. .

Now THAT would be a fun Mod to see!!!!:thumbup:

Bob Denman
12-21-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to mount a couple of forward facing shotguns under the foglamps and dress her in a miilitary uniform and helmet! :thumbup::roflblack:

ARtraveler
12-21-2011, 03:30 PM
I am sorry to hear of your loss. Pets are family and we love them dearly. Sent you a PM

Bob Denman
12-21-2011, 03:40 PM
... Got it and Thanks! :thumbup:

netta
12-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Or just throw her in the Frunk... WHAT AM I SAYING??? :shocked: You'll get me killed if I get caught with something like that on the keyboard! :yikes:
She will be gently, safely and serenely carried in a climate-controlled, weatherproof, dangerproof pod that will always assure her of a pleasant journey on her Spyder... :roflblack:

HEY Bob
SHE SURE IS CUTE!!!
I know I saw a side mounted small dog carrier that would look pretty cool applied to your spyder.I think it was made out of fiberglass.It had a windshield and you could have it painted to match.Little tink looks like she deserves it.plus you could see her.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Hi Bob,..before you break the bank on this....try and find out if she will even ride with you...and if she seems to like it???....not all dogs are " lets get in the truck and go for a spin" dogs....Good luck with her....Mike....:thumbup:

Bob Denman
12-22-2011, 08:00 AM
Thanks Netta!
Mike,
Our furry family members have always been "blessed" with an excess of personality... kind of like ME!! :roflblack:
If we're doing something or going somewhere; they want to be in on it as well... I honestly think that it's how we raise them. (Or how they TRAIN us!)
All of ours have even learned to recognize destinations based on the routes and what they see along the way... Them not digging a ryde is unfathomable! But it has entered my mind... That's why I want to make sure that everything is as secure and comfy as it can be so that map reading chores can be taken away from the Missus... :shocked:

zrc
12-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Thanks Netta!
Mike,
Our furry family members have always been "blessed" with an excess of personality... kind of like ME!! :roflblack:

If we believe common Dog thought processes and thoeries, Dogs see us as their pack alpha's and as such, if you attitude and mentality is "Im going for a ride and so is fluffy." And there is never the nervous energy in the car / on the cycle of "oh I hope they dont get sick" or "I hope they like it" or "I hope they dont get hurt", then they will love it. On a cycle in a semi-meshed container they are able to experience the road in ways we cannot, tentative research suggests they can smell for almost a mile and some change, so riding in vehicle down the road is like a sensory rollercoaster of fun and crazy for them. After all, 95% of their worlds are based on smell alone, and they do know where you go Bob because they know the smells. Also my Moxi is a car addict, she will bark to go to the garage and check her car, and just sit in it for a while if you will let her. She isnt that way about the spyder yet, but I know she will be because my feelings on it are much better than in my mustang, and I have always loved the thrill of driving period.

Get her some doggles and its go time.

murphybrown
12-22-2011, 10:24 AM
Check out T-bags...they have an awesome "pet" carrier that I have seen on a couple Spyders...pricey but verrrry nice. I also lost my "friend" of 14 yrs in November....so HARD....but had a great 14 years with her....that is the part of "responsible pet owner" that I HATE HATE HATE. Really feel for your loss..your new love will love going wherever you go....:thumbup:

draboo
12-22-2011, 12:20 PM
Kiddo started out riding on the back of our RS when she was 6 months old. After we liquidated and purchased our RT, we did get one of the Inspectors trunk racks and a T-bag dog carrier.

The three of us traveled from WA to Upper MI and back last year. She rarely rides inside..she prefers hanging out the side with her Doggles on.

I realize your dog is young, but if you get her used to riding in a bag, it may be a bit.."uncomfortable" for her to make the transition to the carrier, if you choose to do so. When we first got Kiddo, she was so small, Pat would carry her in her jacket..then we bought a carrierbag that hung in front like a baby carrier, then to a carrier for the passenger seat, and now to the T-BAG.

Kiddo LOVES her RT and will sit by it and bark to go in the carrier.

Bob Denman
12-22-2011, 01:19 PM
T-Bags... Do they come in different sizes?
This little critter is only going to be about five pounds; max...
The smaller the carrier, the less wind turbulence and noise. :thumbup:

TicketBait
12-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Congrats on your new family addition.

This is the carrier I use for my 6 lb maltese.

http://www.gwlittle.com/images/popup/212505_C_pu.jpghttp://www.gwlittle.com/images/popup/212505_B_pu.jpg

She rides right up front with me, and it does not restrict me from doing anything. In the begining we rode with the side vent closed, but now she rides most of the time with her nose hanging out of the side. She loves it as she always wants to jump in it to go somewhere.

You can get this at gwlittle.com for $64.99 called the Pet Messenger Bag. They have a video on it too.

Hope this helps.

netta
12-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Hey, Bob,
did ozzie ride on your spyder? If so where and how.I have a pug(jeepers) that I am going to let her ride next yr.

Bob Denman
12-22-2011, 07:20 PM
No... He never rode on the Spyder. He was just a bit too...wiggly! We're hoping to start Tinkout early enough so that she's got the routine figured out in time for Springtime...

TicketBait,
That is one AWESOME-looking rig!! :2thumbs: Pet Messinger bag...Thanks! :bowdown:

Barbwire
01-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Fencepost and I have ridden for 15+ years carrying a pet with us. There are many choices for pouches at www.petedge.com (http://www.petedge.com) or Petsmart. We have never had problems with weather or hotels because we plan ahead and carry protective gear for the pet just like we do for ourselves. So many hotels take pets now and we find it very enjoyable to have them with us.

We traveled with 1 small dog for 11 years and since she died we are now up to 3. We rode all over the country last year with all 3 and had a great time! He carries 2 on his Harley and I carry one on my Spyder. The hotel fees are cheaper than the kennel!!

SpyderLady
01-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Omg. What a cutie. Teddy is gona fall in LOVE!! :)

clueless
01-03-2012, 07:08 AM
we use the legs out carrier for dogs... it works great we attach a harness to him and then to the carrier for extra support
we have a 14 lb mini golden doodle... get the size large then you think if in-between sizes.

http://www.amazon.com/Legs-Carrier-Medium-pets-over/dp/B000F0JN9Y

see 2nd picture on the amazon page of a guy on a bike using it...

not good for rain but works well with doggles on a nice day ....

Bob Denman
01-03-2012, 07:09 AM
We're going to have to keep an eye out for that boy... Why are young ladies always attrated to the ones that they're most reluctant to bring home to Momma?? :lecturef_smilie:
(Sorry Dave! The Tedster will need to clean up and get a job first! :roflblack:)

CyncySpyder
01-03-2012, 07:55 AM
We're going to have to keep an eye out for that boy... Why are young ladies always attrated to the ones that they're most reluctant to bring home to Momma?? :lecturef_smilie:
(Sorry Dave! The Tedster will need to clean up and get a job first! :roflblack:)

Bob Denman
01-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Now Dave... Do you really think that you'd want to put up with me as an In-Law?? :shocked: :roflblack:

(What's the difference between In-Laws and Outlaws???)
(Outlaws are wanted!!):roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

CyncySpyder
01-15-2012, 09:31 PM
:pTeddy wants to know how his new girlfriend is doing?:p

Bob Denman
01-16-2012, 05:53 PM
I just got off the phone with the folks... They held her for us until we got back from a short trip to warmer climates
She arrives next Monday! :ohyea::yes:

SpyderLady
01-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Congratulations. I can't wait to see her. Hope you are coming to spyderfest and she will be along

Bob Denman
01-20-2012, 09:37 AM
Thanks! We get her home and settled in and the pictures will flow... :thumbup:

draboo
01-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks! We get her home and settled in and the pictures will flow... :thumbup:

WOO HOO!!! and, of course..>:popcorn:

Bob Denman
01-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Well so far; so good! :thumbup:
She's already flown from Tulsa to Houston.
Next Stop is Newark, and then on to albany...

JCSMOKE
01-23-2012, 09:28 AM

Truly excited for you Bob:yes: can't wait to see the little one at spyderfest

SpyderLady
01-23-2012, 10:43 AM

OMG what a trooper she is. Is she flying by herself and getting miles? :2thumbs: Can;t wait for updates. She is suchhhh a cutie:clap: Teddy is going to go absolutely nuts over her!!

SpyderAnn01
01-23-2012, 10:51 AM
That is great news I'm sure you'll fall in love with her immediately. I'm sitting here trying to type with my Golden's head between my arms and she is happy for you too.

Bob Denman
01-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Thanks! She's gonna have more frequent flier miles than me! :shocked:
Continental flight 1707 from Houston to Newark... In the air! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
01-24-2012, 07:47 AM
:shocked: Well we made it home... Fog between Newark and Albany cancelled the last leg of this marathon! :yikes: So after everybody's blood pressure was high enough to almost bust something, they got her on the hext flight... IF it too wasn't cancelled... :gaah: Anyway; the fog cleared out just enough so that she landed in Albany at 8:50pm... Her day STARTED at 6:00am!! :yikes:
Anyway, we got her home safe and sound just at midnight.... 18 hours after it all started!
And she's too cute for words... ;)

spyder3
01-24-2012, 08:00 AM
Congrats BoB on the new family member! :congrats:

Bob Denman
01-24-2012, 08:12 AM
We'll get some pictures up here once we've gotten a little rest... :shocked: http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_50.gif

Bob Denman
01-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Well here's one of TinkerBell at work in our office... Making sure that we're not falling asleep at our desks! :roflblack:

ARtraveler
01-24-2012, 12:43 PM
She is one cute little furball. :thumbup::2thumbs:

JCSMOKE
01-24-2012, 03:25 PM
she only has eyes for you, and soon Teddy.:yikes::roflblack:

rcdurango
01-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Just thought I'd put a word out there for someone else that thinks she's cute. Although Teddy is one of the coolest dogs out there, Chance is pretty handsome himself. We haven't quite figured out how to get him on the Spyder yet but it's not because he afraid. Chance will go anywhere I go on whatever I ride. Just one thing, He's 72lbs of dog. We doggle up in the dunebuggy and the chicks really dig him. Funny thing is chicks never say: I Dig Your Car or Your a Very Handsome Man. It's always YOUR DOG IS SO CUTE! Anyway, Chance says congrats on the new puppy and he thinks she's really cute and to just keep him in mind.

spyder3
01-24-2012, 04:52 PM
How much weight can a spyder pull?:yikes: Hi tinker

prmurat
01-25-2012, 09:43 PM
.... Ooopps my wife too!

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t122/prmurat/2687f500.jpg

Bob Denman
01-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Is that a 2WD?? I like your choice of headgear too! :thumbup:

CyncySpyder
01-26-2012, 10:06 AM
How much weight can a spyder pull?:yikes: Hi tinker39881 That would be a lot of dog !!!

spyder3
01-26-2012, 11:25 AM
That would be a lot of dog !!!

And a lot of dog brings you a lot of dog :cus: :gaah: They are my best buds!!