PDA

View Full Version : Gas can in saddlebag

Mr. White
12-16-2011, 10:36 PM
I see where some carry additional gasoline in your saddlebags. I have seen one the "fits" in the RT saddlebag. Is the one that "fits" better than a Wal-Mart 1 gallon container...less dangerous perhaps or ?? Thanks for you comments.

Y Rider
12-16-2011, 10:49 PM
I carry two 1 gallon Reda gas cans in my left side saddlebag. They fit perfect and they don't leak. I only use them on longer trips. I really like not having to worry about running out of gas.

boyallie
12-16-2011, 11:03 PM
:popcorn:

fencepost
12-16-2011, 11:14 PM
I carry the Reda as well. I have found that to keep the expansion to a minimum you need to fill the can 1” below the neck and I also check for leaks by turning the can up side down, this insures that I have the cap tight. I have carried this can on three long trips with no issues.

Big Arm
12-17-2011, 12:43 AM
George, You may want to check with Magic Man at ESI for the Reda can. That's where I purchased mine.

SteveMac
12-17-2011, 01:09 AM
:agree:

+1 For the REDA Can :thumbup:

GloryRyders
12-17-2011, 06:36 AM
I also agree on the Reda's..................they are the only ones that advertise that they are "vapor proof ".:2thumbs:

ThreeWheels
12-17-2011, 07:52 AM
To answer your specific question, yes the REDA gas can is IMHO superior to the Walmart gas can.

The shell of the can is much heavier, and thus much stronger. It won't get squished by other stuff and the design of the cap seals tightly, so it won't leak inside your side bag.

I carried one on my last big trip, about 4000 miles in 6 days of riding down to the Dragon.

It's a very nice unit for carrying extra gas with you.

Frankly, I never used it, and all it bought me was a little peace of mind. Living on the East Coast of the US, I was never that far away from a Gas Station that I needed it. I was constantly freaked out by the red gas light coming on at about 120 miles. Now I feel very comfortable going 150 miles between fill ups.

Next trip I take I'll make better use of the saddlebag space, hopefully storing raingear for a shapely passenger.

Specifically then, if you feel the need to carry extra gas with you, the REDA is the best gas can to use, however, for myself, I don't have a genuine need to carry extra gas and can use the space more productively.

Here is a link to one source for the can. There are others that may be less expensive,

http://www.amazon.com/Reda-Portable-Motorcycle-Gas-Can/dp/B003WHBVDI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324126506&sr=8-1

As usual, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.

NancysToy
12-17-2011, 08:10 AM
I concur with everything said here. Two REDA cans fit nicely into the left saddlebag, with room for a small bottle of Stabil. The gas may stay in the cans for a long while, so the Stabil seems like a good idea. I also leave about 1" of head space, which puts about 0.9 gallons of gas into the can. I turn mine upside down to test them, too. In addition, I carry a pair or two of nitril gloves. The safety device on all the modern cans is a pain, and getting gas on your hands is a real possibility if you have to use them. If you do have to use your spare gas, be sure to fill the cans again when you fill the Spyder at the next gas station. I bought my cans from ESI. They sure are good for your piece of mind!

Bob Denman
12-17-2011, 08:46 AM
I actually can't add much to this discussion other than an admonition that you often DO get what you pay for... These babies are worth it! :thumbup:

Bootie
12-17-2011, 09:14 AM
I actually can't add much to this discussion other than an admonition that you often DO get what you pay for... These babies are worth it! :thumbup::agree:

boborgera
12-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Home Depot has a gal and half air tight and no spill/no fumes, Get the one where the spout stores inside the tank. [locking cap] I been using it for over 2 years, never had a leak or any fumes. I fill it to the top, That extra half gal helps.

Yfactor
12-17-2011, 10:53 AM
I have to agree with the Reda's. I carry two in the left saddlebag when on long trips

for the peace of mind and the fact I like to travel the back roads where fuel stops

can be scarce.

bluestratos
12-17-2011, 12:08 PM
I don't like the Reda cans, they waste way too much space due to there design (they probably work ok in Harleys for which they were designed. Instead a use a 1 gallon can that I made a leak proof top for. I cut out an aluminum circle that fits inside the plastic screw on lid then I glued a gas proof gasket material to the bottom that makes contact with the lip of can. I have had this in use for 2 years now and never lost a drop. In the RT the can fits in perfectly with the wide side facing the back of the side bag provideing maximum usable space.

I installed the non slip surface material on the bottom of the bags with double sided carpet tape. I bought mine in blace so you do not see it but I did a neat job so it looks great.

I also modified my side bags, the one on the left side has velcro straps set up so it keeps the gas can tightly agains the rear end of the side bag( RT). This layout out splits the area up and keeps the can in place. I also velcor straps (configured in an X shape)over each of the indents in the outside lids. I am able to strap all my jacket liners and miscelanious down tight and make use of this wasted space.

On the right side I repeated the velcro straps and no slip bottom but I did not put in a center strap as this bags needs to be more multifunctional.

Regards,

I buy male and female 1" velcro on the roll and using a hole punce I make in a neat hole. I used the existing screws in the lid to hold the straps in place, they have a built in washer to spead the load out. At the inside straps I added a stainless washer under the screws I added for the same reason. The end result if uber clean and professional looking.

boyallie
12-17-2011, 12:27 PM
I keep the gas in an open 2 liter coke bottle in my frunk next to the matches.

memphisdan
12-17-2011, 12:44 PM
I also have the Reda can it is well made, I agree with Scotty the fill spout is a problem. I carried thie Reda on a 6,000 mile and 4,000 mile trip west and never need it, now it sits at home. I have always found places to stop, I slurp and munch my way across the country.

TicketBait
12-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Reda cans work for me, and if I don't use them then I empty into my car every third month, as it has a higher tolerance for stale gas. I also use star stabilizer, I learned this all from magic man & Nancy's toy. I did run out of gas once because I didn't re fil the reda, & it didn't refil on its own ;(

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.037473,-118.470788

ARtraveler
12-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Reda seems the way to go for safety and piece of mind.

I am the "odd man out" though in that for most of my driving, I have not encountered anyplace where there is no gas for more than 175 miles. Spyder will do that--but those last 20 miles can be scarry as the gas gage needle is hovering below empty.

If I were driving on the Artic Circle roads--I would definately have the spare gas with me.

I am cautious about hauling spare gas on regular roads--always worried about what happens if I get smacked on the saddle bag where the gas cans are.

Bob Denman
12-18-2011, 09:54 AM
:agree: Let's not forget about Ford's "4th of July " edition Pintos! :yikes:

TuckMiddle
12-18-2011, 12:36 PM
I have read these posts several times and I guess to each his own. I have been driving farm stuff all my life and naturally cars, pickups, bikes and scooters. I've only run out of gas once, while using a side delivery hayrake to put the cut hay up for drying and baleing. If you happen to scrape a dividing wall on an interstate, have an idiot in a cage hit you in the back or side or have a flat on that monster tire in the back at 75 or 80 - or many other reasons, you could be in deep trouble when those plastic/metal cans get crushed, leak and explode. I'm not trying to chastise anyone, but we all need to think about combustables in those unprotected bags. Someone mentioned the Pinto up above. There was a one liner years ago that went like this: "if you want to get rid of somebody, lend em your Ford Pinto with Firestone 500s on it." Little or no protection for the Pinto gas tank and of course, the tires were horrible also. I think I'll gas up often. My dad always said "gas up when the needle is at 1/2." Of course, on some Spyders, that's only 60 miles or so. and we all watch out for stations. If I'm out west and no gas available for 200 miles, I'll slow down to 50 and live with it and I hopefully will make the 200 miles. At 35 mpg, I should be able to do it - again, I know there are exceptions to every rule. I just suggest we all think about the size fire a gallon of gas can make.

I had forgotten about "Ticketbait's" getting hit. The summary is in the general subject area, started 12-9. His accident is exactly what I was referring to in the above post. He was hit on the right rear and creamed his right bag and left one was scratched up when the bike's right side raised up from the hit. A plastic gallon container or two in the right bag might very well have set the bike on fire or exploded, had the gas leaked out onto the hot exhaust and drive train. Luckily, he was banged up some, but looks like he's doing ok. Bike sure isn't.

Good luck to us all.

Tuck

Mr. White
12-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks to all for your good comments. Sometimes I ride in west Texas and stations are few and some not open late at night. I get 29-31 consistantly by my GPS, but still get nervous when the red light comes on around 140. Yesterday, I refueled at 144 and it only took 4.8 gallons...again, 30mpg. I try to tell my self, "ya got gas for another 25-30 miles", but it still makes me nervous....gotta think about this a little more...again, thanks.

:spyder2:

Littlebadwolf
12-18-2011, 03:36 PM
The Reda cans are terrific...I carry 2 in the trunk with me all the time while I'm riding...I've had one occassion when I used them...on a poker run...Gal ran out of gas way out in neverland...was really happy that we had the gas <laughing>...Needless to say...can't go wrong with a Reda...:yes:

Gordy
12-18-2011, 07:45 PM
I WOULD LIKE TO CARRY A GAS CAN ON THE TONGUE OF MY TRAILER BUT AM AFRAID THERE IS TOO MUCH MOVEMENT BECAUSE IT IS ATTACHED TO THE SWING ARM.

TuckMiddle
12-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Sounds like the right decision to me. Ever watched a small landscaper's trailer jump around on the road with mowers and tools? Every one of them has gas in a 5 gallon can or plastic container. He gets hit and gas is everywhere. "And the beat goes on and the beat goes on..........." as the old song says. I don't know all the facts about the Spyders that have burnt up, but the leaking of gas just from filling up to the top of the tank has been blamed on some incidents. Take care.
Tuck

NancysToy
12-19-2011, 07:49 AM
Shaking gasoline won't set it off...this isn't nitroglycerin, folks! It also will not build up pressure and burst the vessel. What do you think happens in your cars as they bounce down the highways, much less those kidney rattling motorcycles? Oh, yeah, let's not forget those dangerous four-wheel drive off-roaders. I might add that nothing protects your main gas tank in a crash, either, so the added hazard of carrying gas in an alternate location seems slim. Caution is one thing, but let's not be afraid of our own shadows, and impugn a product just because of speculation. The REDA can is designed for its intended use, and is way more substantial than your lawn mower gas can. If it worries you to carry extra gas when you ride down the road, then don't. Let's not start rumors about Spyder fires and speculate about fires, crashes, and explosions, though. Each of us uses the amount of caution he or she deems prudent. Let's let it go at that. :lecturef_smilie:

Bob Denman
12-19-2011, 07:52 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_14_7.gif I hadn't given a lot of thought to the unexpected conequences of a "chance meeting"... but it IS a possibility! :shocked:

TuckMiddle
12-19-2011, 08:18 AM
You betcha. That's what I've been saying. Do what you are comfortable with, but don't forget "stuff happens." If you don't agree with what I said that's fine. I can live with that. I'm not paranoid about anything and yes, I do carry gas cans in my trailer when I have to fill them up.
Tuck

Daisyjoe
12-19-2011, 11:04 PM
I keep the gas in an open 2 liter coke bottle in my frunk next to the matches.

Has someone has had a few problems with their Spyder:D :roflblack::roflblack: