PDA

View Full Version : Elka shocks on RT...DAQ?

Yol Bolsun
12-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Ok, I have seen many positive posts for ELKA shocks, some, even my own. Now, my DAQ (Dumb A$$ question, as opposed to FAQ (frequently asked question)).

Has anyone experienced a need for realignment (cam and camber) following the mounting of Elka shocks?

I noticed (and expected) a significant change in the stance of the RT following installation of ELKA shocks. Y'all's $.02?

NancysToy
12-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Castor and camber are not adjustable on the Spyder. It has been done by some owners, but it is not set up that way from the factory and specs are not available.

Tonga
12-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Castor and camber are not adjustable on the Spyder. It has been done by some owners, but it is not set up that way from the factory and specs are not available.

You are right Scotty but the caster setting will automatically go into the positive from what I think is 0 degrees from the factory because the Spyder sits higher with Elkas on and the more preload on the Elkas the higher the front end. I also think that the front end does NOT settle down much when the weight is put back on the wheels after the toe-in is adjusted unladen. I know that the toe is to go to 0 from a negative setting, correct me if I an wrong Scotty, when the bike sits back down on it's wheels. I will answer one thing here that I found no unusual wear on my tires and it tracks as strait as an arrow at higher speeds once I got the alignment done with the OEM shocks and at about 600 miles on the bike. I did put my Elkas on soon after but will guess under 2000 miles and now I have over 13,000 miles. So I can't say Elkas hurt the alignment settings or tire wear.

docdoru
12-17-2011, 01:37 PM
... but it is not set up that way from the factory and specs are not available.
There are shops in Canada who can do that. :doorag: