PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the Pazzo clutch for the SM5

DynamoBT
12-14-2011, 05:19 PM
I've been thinking about the Pazzo clutch lever for my RS SM5. I have a fairly large hand for a woman. But one day, in the first year I had my Spyder, I got stuck in stop and go traffic that went on and on and my clutch hand paid dearly. Adjusted to be as close to the handlebar as possible is still a good reach. And the pull back is firm. I would like it if that could be made easier.

I'm asking about the Pazzo lever because it is "adustable". But what parameters adjust?? Is distance from the handlebar adjustable? Is resistance adjustable? I see the small lever with a number of settings on the top of the Pazzo clutch. But what does the small lever adjust?? Does anyone know? Does anyone have a Pazzo lever installed on their Spyder?? How do you like it??

docdoru
12-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Reason I installed the Pazzo clutch lever on Silver Dream (2008 RS) was the speed of gear change. Is short, you need more force to depress, but is very close to the handlebar. There are 5 stages to bring the lever closer, but in the 5th one your clutch will slip. :doorag:

DynamoBT
12-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Doc, did you get the short lever or the long??

docdoru
12-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Doc, did you get the short lever or the long??
Short.

DynamoBT
12-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks, Doc!!

I recall a thread from the SpyderLover whose Spyder was used as a model for the Pazzo clutch. His preference was the "long" lever. I'm thinking that I will probably go ahead and get the Pazzo clutch for my Spyder as my Christmas present. Just bringing the lever closer to the handlebar has got to help. I also think the shortie lever contributes to how firm the pull back is on yours. With the long lever it should be easier. Or at least, no worse than the OEM.

I appreciate you responding. It's going to look sharp too. Black lever/red adjustment lever with my Yellow Spyder. I'm psyched!!!!!

docdoru
12-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks, Doc!!

I recall a thread from the SpyderLover whose Spyder was used as a model for the Pazzo clutch. His preference was the "long" lever. I'm thinking that I will probably go ahead and get the Pazzo clutch for my Spyder as my Christmas present. Just bringing the lever closer to the handlebar has got to help. I also think the shortie lever contributes to how firm the pull back is on yours. With the long lever it should be easier. Or at least, no worse than the OEM.

I appreciate you responding. It's going to look sharp too. Black lever/red adjustment lever with my Yellow Spyder. I'm psyched!!!!!
You'll love-it. :thumbup:

DynamoBT
03-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Finally, finally, finally picked my Spyder up from its spring service with the new long Pazzo clutch installed.

I absolutely love it!!! I've got it set on #3 until I get used to new distance. If Doc is correct, I can set it one more notch closer at #2 setting. #1 setting the clutch slips. Anyway, it's wonderful! I can see me eventually only needing two fingers to bring the clutch in. Needless to say, it looks sharp too. No pics at this time. Spyder back in the garage. Snow expected tomorrow. If I think of it when the sun comes out again, I'll snap a pic.

Quality is very nice too. I'm happy with my decision to get it.

joet82
03-30-2012, 11:36 PM
I got mine mainly to color match to my paint. Love it though as a lever.

ThreeWheels
03-31-2012, 05:06 AM
HMMMMM.....................

Not to hijack the thread, but my clutch seemed a little difficult to use from the get-go. I also had some difficulty finding neutral, not uncommon for motorcycles.
Net-net, the clutch wore out with relatively few miles on it.
The clutch was replaced, and now operating the clutch lever is silky smooth, and neutral is a cinch to find. Clearly something in the clutch had been wrong from day one.
I'm glad you like your new clutch lever. Just be sure that you're not masking some other problem.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.