PDA

View Full Version : Articulating /leaning Spyders, anyone seen one? 3 or 4 wheel?

SXSMachine
12-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Have been a long term motorcyclist but after years of problems being laid out with a condition I want to get back into motorcycling 2 wheels doesn't suit and scooters (eeewww! lol ) I just want a good regular bike.

One thing I have found in my couple of tests of Spyders though, is that gee it really puts a lot of momentum into a person sitting on it unless you yourself have the opportunity to crawl all over it to dive ito turns etc. As you may have guessed a capability I;ve lost now. :sour:

I wanted to now if you or any fans have actually seen an articulating (leaning whatever you would like to call it) kit for either a 3 wheel or 4 wheel particularly Spyder.

By haeing the bike lean I dont have too and can transfer all the forces in a straight line down my body so the Spyder isn't trying to throw me off.

I have seen it in the scooters and such just havent seen a decent motorcycle in them yet and there's no road cred riding a scooter.

So has anyone seen an articulating spyder kit or builder? ;)

Thanks

Gavin

ARtraveler
12-09-2011, 03:26 PM
:welcome:
:spyder2: does not have the articulated or leaning ability--but you really dont need it. There is a learning curve to drive the :spyder2: compared to a two wheeler. Most people take 250-500 miles.

Another consideration: to take a stock :spyder2: and put whatever equipment on it to allow you to lean would cost big bucks. The additional modifications may or may not agree with the computerized VSS, and may make for an even less safe machine.

The big deal is do not over input on the handlebars. It all gets better from there.

If you insist on leaning--you might look at Piaggio motorcycles. They make a couple models, they have 2 wheels in the front, and they do lean.

Good luck in your hunt--keep us posted.

YPILOT
12-09-2011, 03:44 PM
http://tiltingmotorworks.com/

SilverSurfer
12-09-2011, 03:45 PM
BRP does have a patent for a leaning/articulating Spyder. It was published somewhere on this forum early this year or late 2010. However, I'll bet it never comes to market, which is not a bad thing. When I did The Dragon this past Summer, especially with my Inspector Gadget foot pads (that replace the footpeg covers), I had a distinct sensation of sking. The skills I've developed piloting a Spyder in the nearly two years I've had mine make 'articulation' and leaning unnecessary.

SXSMachine
12-10-2011, 04:29 PM
:welcome:
:spyder2: does not have the articulated or leaning ability--but you really dont need it. There is a learning curve to drive the :spyder2: compared to a two wheeler. Most people take 250-500 miles.

Another consideration: to take a stock :spyder2: and put whatever equipment on it to allow you to lean would cost big bucks. The additional modifications may or may not agree with the computerized VSS, and may make for an even less safe machine.

The big deal is do not over input on the handlebars. It all gets better from there.

If you insist on leaning--you might look at Piaggio motorcycles. They make a couple models, they have 2 wheels in the front, and they do lean.

Good luck in your hunt--keep us posted.

I'm not sure of your own level of ability spyderman, but I really need every advantage pobssible for me to be able to even try this exercise with any kind of success. I have an inflamitory and degenerative condition that affect most of my main joints. :sour:

I sctually at this stage dont know if trying to ride again is something that will ultimately be possible but if I do I do want something cooler than a cooter as staed and I do want to take the open roads so a scooter may not have the legs or the confort to take on such a ride as well.

So yes in adopting every mechanical advantage using the principle of vectors of force I will be looking for an articulating vehicle to all the forces are running in straights a line as possible and only compressing me down into the seat and not trying to throw me off the bike.

At this stahe the :spyder2: is my most favored production bike to do this too as well as I want to SE5 gearbox model.

Thanks for your input :thumbup:

SXSMachine
12-10-2011, 04:32 PM
http://tiltingmotorworks.com/

Only showing one production model and one to come, none that I would want. :sour:

SXSMachine
12-10-2011, 04:39 PM
BRP does have a patent for a leaning/articulating Spyder. It was published somewhere on this forum early this year or late 2010. However, I'll bet it never comes to market, which is not a bad thing. When I did The Dragon this past Summer, especially with my Inspector Gadget foot pads (that replace the footpeg covers), I had a distinct sensation of sking. The skills I've developed piloting a Spyder in the nearly two years I've had mine make 'articulation' and leaning unnecessary.

Hi Silver surfer, I haven't seen pictures of your bike or anything yet to know some of the things you are talking about. Have you got a link to your bike build? Id be curious as to your riding style and the accessories you have that make articulation to achieve the straight line forces I am talking about unneccessary.

So have you got a link? Do you mind sharing your impairment with me privately? :thumbup:

SXSMachine
12-30-2011, 09:38 PM
Have sent in an application to my government department responsible to apply to develop a 4 wheel cambersteering motorcycle out of a Spyder SE5. Wish me luck with that!!

Have pointed at the Wesll.com as my main source of data and desired outcome although I'm hoping for a Vastly superior look and performance but yes I am asking for the capability to cover sealed and unsealed roads and so make the case that a 1rad/sec force of vehicle is what I am seeking.

Happy safe and Prosperous New Year to my fellow in/articulates!!! :joke::joke: :ani29: :yikes:

SXSMachine
01-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Having looked around the market solidly for quite some time and also talked to a great deal of people who knew or had opinions on a great many things. I hope in the midst of that I managed to pick up a little wisdom as well as some knowledge on the subject.

So it seems the best tilting front end on the market is by Tremoto as an independent.

Can Am continue to file tilting patents as late as the last couple of months the last one was granted for the Spyder and the same for Yamaha with the Teseract which all were separate fillings which means to me Can Am are definitely concerned about at least protecting some space and I dont know know what Yamaha are doing, they had a good enough single sided steering front suspension on the model we got as the GTS1000 in Aus.

Tremoto have already run version one of their system and now they are running version two and they are doing the Pikes Peak Hillclimb, the ambition to be the fastest bike up Pikes Peake. So I've decided to help them with that, some Patent filing and building up some bikes for potentially Sema or a similar show so for the rest of the year while we do some Quadricycle bike design which should be fun.

I did have several drawings made up of the Spyder as a quadricycle to walk around the engineering firms but no one was particularly interested in taking it on and it was to do with the complexity of Nanny and other ongoing Spyder issues.

So in discussing what Tremoto have done more of and where they were going with their next iteration I chose another bike and I'll leave that a surprise for now but if people are keen I will keep them updated throughout the year. :firstplace: