PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Shifter Problem

Yfactor
12-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Installed new Seal Floorboards on my RT SM5. beautiful setup and easy install but have a problem.

After installing the new extended shifter I find I can upshift but will not downshift.

What did I do wrong?

How do I fix it?

Yfactor
12-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Really need help here

Lamonster
12-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Never installed one but it sounds like it's hitting somewhere and not letting you downshift. Check the throw to make sure it's not hitting anywhere.

StriperKing
12-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Make sure that there is no interferance with the shift bracket hitting anything on the up or down shift. If it does you can adjust the shift linkage. Just look at the bracket and shift by hand with the foot shifter and you will be able to tell. I adjusted my shifter to get a more desirable location for me and had this same issue and had to back off my adjustment some. Hope this helps

Yfactor
12-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Thanks Lamont and StriperKing That kinda confirms what I was thinking.
Have to wait till tomorrow to work on it.

poucherg
12-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks Lamont and StriperKing That kinda confirms what I was thinking.
Have to wait till tomorrow to work on it.

I also installed sealboards on my RT. Had to adjust several times to find adjustment that would let me down and upshift. Had to adjust it up, my toes just does fit under shifter, this does depend on what kind of boots you are wearing. If you adjust too low, can't go to reverse, to high can't up shift. I feel your pain. Make small adjustments untill you find that happy medium. I also noticed that shifter has quite a bit of play in it, didn't really notice, but don't think there was that much with stock shifter. John is working this issue.

Yfactor
04-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Sorry it took so long to update this thread. After pulling all the left side tupperware I had a clear view of the problem. The bolt through the linkage at the new shifter was hitting and keeping the linkage from down shifting. Readjusted the the new shifter took care of all the problems. Have now installed the new Bumpskid and love it. Tomorrow I install the Baker Airwings then it's ride, ride ride. :yes:

Bob Denman
04-21-2012, 08:39 AM
Glad to hear that there was an easy fix to get you back up on three! :2thumbs::ohyea: