PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tail Lights ?

StriperKing
11-30-2011, 09:14 PM
I have ordered a new trailer, BRP hitch and control module wiring kit, and the 9-pole BRP trailer wire harness section to wire to my new trailer. My question is exactly what should each of my 4-LED lights do (brake, running, turn, etc). I figure there is a standard for this set up but I am not sure. Any help would be great. Here is a pic of the back.37598

NancysToy
11-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Does your trailer have a 4-pin connector or a 5-pin connector? If 4-pin, the lights work as combination brakelights and turn signals (as well as running lights). If 5-pin, the brakelights and turn signals are separate. This will all affect your adapter or wiring. For a 5-wire trailer, you will need the 2010 9-pin Tongue harness (P/N 710002029), if it is still available. This is set up for 6-wire use (actually it has 7 wires), with separate left and right brakelights, but you need to select just one or the other. For a 4-wire trailer, you need the 2011 Pole Harness (P/N 710002442). This has 4 wires, and will not work with a 5-wire trailer. I hope you ordered the right harness. If the harness and your trailer do not match up, you could rewire your trailer. BTW, you need not make an adapter if you don't need to use the trailer with anything else, or don't use multiple trailers. You can cut off the original trailer connector, and wire the 9-pin harness directly. Be sure and leave a sufficient length of wire, or build a long enough adapter. The Spyder trailer connection is farther than normal from the trailer ball.

SteveMac
11-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Hey Chuck,
I just sent you a PM if you want to give me a buzz.

StriperKing
11-30-2011, 10:19 PM
Does your trailer have a 4-pin connector or a 5-pin connector? If 4-pin, the lights work as combination brakelights and turn signals (as well as running lights). If 5-pin, the brakelights and turn signals are separate. This will all affect your adapter or wiring. For a 5-wire trailer, you will need the 2010 9-pin Tongue harness (P/N 710002029), if it is still available. This is set up for 6-wire use (actually it has 7 wires), with separate left and right brakelights, but you need to select just one or the other. For a 4-wire trailer, you need the 2011 Pole Harness (P/N 710002442). This has 4 wires, and will not work with a 5-wire trailer. I hope you ordered the right harness. If the harness and your trailer do not match up, you could rewire your trailer. BTW, you need not make an adapter if you don't need to use the trailer with anything else, or don't use multiple trailers. You can cut off the original trailer connector, and wire the 9-pin harness directly. Be sure and leave a sufficient length of wire, or build a long enough adapter. The Spyder trailer connection is farther than normal from the trailer ball.
I ordered P/N 710002029 and had the trailer people run all the wires to the front of the trailer seperate from one another and no plug so I can do anything at this point.

SteveMac
11-30-2011, 11:39 PM
Chuck,
Attached is a PDF file of a schematic that I made after I wired my trailer.
Same setup as you, I used the BRP 710002029 Pigtail, affixed a 5-wire plug.
Used a 4-light LED system same as yours.
This schematic results in:

my "inner two" lights work as running and brake
my "outer two" lights work as running and left/right signal

Hope that helps, it worked perfectly on mine. But Scotty or one of the other guys may want to take a peek to make sure that "I don't have my wires crossed..." :roflblack:

SteveMac
11-30-2011, 11:55 PM
Oh yeah, and here is my new trailer too!
(Inspired by Yazz's Trip to Alaska!)

http://img.tapatalk.com/46f9dd16-08a9-93f4.jpg

StriperKing
12-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Oh yeah, and here is my new trailer too!
(Inspired by Yazz's Trip to Alaska!)

http://img.tapatalk.com/46f9dd16-08a9-93f4.jpg

That is the same one I got except I got the black inserts since my bike is black.

SteveMac
12-01-2011, 08:47 PM
I just uploaded a post to "My Mods" section that illustrates what I did to connect the 710002029 BRP cable to a 5-wire, 4-light non-BRP trailer system. Just in case anyone is interested!

Just CLICK HERE (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?28857-SteveMac-Mods&p=395291&viewfull=1#post395291) to view the full thread with wiring schematic PDF and pics. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

SteveMac
12-01-2011, 08:50 PM
That is the same one I got except I got the black inserts since my bike is black.

Cool deal! Great minds think alike my friend. :roflblack:
These are pretty good looking trailers for a fraction of the cost of the BRP-622! :ohyea:

I went with the all aluminum diamond plate so that when I do trade spyders, my trailer will still match!

I am just waiting for that BIG BOY RT to come out...:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

StriperKing
12-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Cool deal! Great minds think alike my friend. :roflblack:
These are pretty good looking trailers for a fraction of the cost of the BRP-622! :ohyea:

I went with the all aluminum diamond plate so that when I do trade spyders, my trailer will still match!

I am just waiting for that BIG BOY RT to come out...:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
I wanted the all aluminum look also but I got out voted and there were only 2-votes. :shemademe_smilie::dontknow: