PDA

View Full Version : Jacking up the Spyder

Arr MiHardies
11-27-2011, 02:12 PM
WhaTs the best way to get your Spyder off the ground? I've been putting a jack from my pickup under the bars next to the front wheels to get them up, but that doesn't aid in adjusting suspension, and I don't see any way to get the rear wheel off the ground, which I need to do to complete my led installation.

poucherg
11-27-2011, 02:48 PM
WhaTs the best way to get your Spyder off the ground? I've been putting a jack from my pickup under the bars next to the front wheels to get them up, but that doesn't aid in adjusting suspension, and I don't see any way to get the rear wheel off the ground, which I need to do to complete my led installation.

Haven't tried to jack front of syder. There is a flat spot on swing arm that will easily jack rear tire.

redlightron
11-27-2011, 03:37 PM
On my RT I can use my Harley Jack or I drive it up on my vehicle ramps. Both work well for me.

dancogan
11-27-2011, 03:39 PM
I use a motorcycle jack, too. It's a tight fit getting it under the Spyder, but once there it raises all 3 wheels off the ground.

NancysToy
11-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Please, please, please don't jack the Spyder up by using the A-arms! It doesn't take much to bend one, and you can't adjust to compensate for it. Replacement of the A-arm would be necessary. Do yourself a favor and buy a low-profile atv jackm or drive the Spyder up on some boards to raise it enough to use a conventional floor jack under the frame.

Yol Bolsun
11-27-2011, 05:07 PM
.... Do yourself a favor and buy a low-profile atv jackm or drive the Spyder up on some boards to raise it enough to use a conventional floor jack under the frame.

Thanks Scotty, went shopping (via the web) and see reconditioned Craftsman ATV jack for under $100. Looks like a good Christmas wishlist item.

kinggeek
11-27-2011, 05:18 PM
See http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?14601-Lifting-the-RT&highlight=jack
(http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?14601-Lifting-the-RT&highlight=jack)
I bought the yellow jack from Sears http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950191000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2 and am VERY happy with it. Fits easily under and lifts the RT easily and level. Under Spyder clearance is an issue to consider and this jack has a 3.5 inch minimum height.

Just pay attention to jack placement suggestions in the first thread. After lifted I use jack stands as shown while working.

angel
11-27-2011, 05:54 PM
do Your self a favor if you plan to do your own work spend 700 on a pro lift to drive on and get the bike sicciors jack the sell. yea lot of bucks but when most of these are 20 g rang it not that much + they work well for mowers and other stuff.

Make sure you get the extensions or place a 3/4 to 1in sheet of ply on then so you have the room you need

Cant tell you how nice it is to sit on a stool and be able to have the bike at what ever working ht you need. If you dont have air they make electric for the same cost