PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Strap Quick Releases?

ArkTerry
11-23-2011, 11:57 AM
I am thinking about a helmet strap quick release, because my short strap is hard to work with it seems. I noticed one called "Echo" http://www.echoproducts.com/

Anyone had any experience with this one or any other you would recommmed? The Pros or Cons of quick releases in general, etc..?

Bob Denman
11-23-2011, 11:59 AM
I've used them and like them... :thumbup:
(I'm all thumbs, so they connect much easier!:opps:)

cjackg
11-23-2011, 12:07 PM
I see them being sold on Amazon.com. Mixed reviews, not everyone loves them!
Is there a better one than the Echo products ?

arntufun
11-23-2011, 12:26 PM
I think they suck, but I have a brand new one still in the package if you want it. Just pay shipping. :thumbup:

rogerb
11-23-2011, 12:44 PM
I bought some Helmet Fast Hook Quick Release Buckles from EBay They are all plastic with push button release. A place in Tenn. Only $5.50 each with $2.50 shipping on first item than $.25 for each additional.
I like these over the Echo. They snap together better than the Echo.

nudle
11-23-2011, 12:54 PM
I have them on both helmets and do not like them. Hard to fasten and hard to undo.Had the plastic one and I like them much better,easier to fasten but don't hold as good as the metal ones plus the tabs break.:banghead:

bullant12
11-23-2011, 01:19 PM
I was told in a recent MSF training that although the company might claim it surpasses D.O.T., SNELL and other safety requirements, they are not really that reliable because these are not the original release as tested on YOUR helmet the way it was designed. Just a thought...:chat:

Blue Star
11-23-2011, 01:24 PM
I had one of those, as I wanted a faster way to get my helmit on. While it was faster to get the helmit off it took longer to get on. I had a hard time getting the male piece into the female piece (no jokes please) because if it was not lined up right it was even harder to release when trying to take it off. I ended up removing it, and gave it away to a co-worker. I will say that the metal one did hold real strong, and while I know nothing of the plastic one I could not think of using anything but metal.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-23-2011, 01:26 PM
i HAVE TRIED BOTH TYPES...METAL AND PLASTIC....THE METAL ONES ARE AS BAD AS NOT HAVING THEM....THE PLASTIC ONES ( FAST HOOK ) ARE GREAT THEY ARE D.O.T. APPROVED AND I FIND THEM EXTREMELY EASY TO USE EVEN WITH GLOVES...UNLIKE THE METAL ONES GLOVES OR NOT.....MIKE .....:thumbup:

retiredsquid
11-23-2011, 01:39 PM
I am thinking about a helmet strap quick release, because my short strap is hard to work with it seems. I noticed one called "Echo" http://www.echoproducts.com/

Anyone had any experience with this one or any other you would recommmed? The Pros or Cons of quick releases in general, etc..?

I have the Echo on four helmets and like it. It does take a bit of getting used to when fastening it, just be sure to get it in properly instead of stuck. I also sew the excess material of the strap so it is not flopping around. My wife likes the standard system as it is on a helmet, but I am all thumbs when trying to get it strapped on.

Bob Denman
11-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Arntu,
PM sent... :thumbup:

harddrive
11-23-2011, 01:47 PM
I have had mine for years, but it is a plastic off brand. There are some people (and dealers) out there that hate quick releases on helmets.Not sure why... I love them. My first HD helmet had d rings, and I hated putting it on. I found this one at a rally. I recently purchase a new AVG helmet that came with a quick release buckle; that looks like a small car seat belt buckle.

Here is the quick release on the HD helmet:

BikerDoc
11-23-2011, 02:42 PM
I love mine and finally my wife can get her helmet on and off in a reasonable time period without swearing lol

arntufun
11-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Quick release spoken for. :cheers:

Bob Denman
11-23-2011, 03:16 PM
:2thumbs:
Even if you DO ride Artic Cat snowmobiles...
Well... in the spirit of the Holidays... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_2_83v.gif

SKL2002
11-23-2011, 04:34 PM
I bought these from eBay and worked wonderfully! -->eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCYCLE-HELMET-QUICK-RELEASE-BUCKLE-NEW-/160684657436?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&vxp=mtr&hash=item25698d4b1c)

stutzmason
11-23-2011, 05:26 PM
I have then on all my helmets ... IMHO best thing since sliced bread

NancysToy
11-23-2011, 06:14 PM
.....There are some people (and dealers) out there that hate quick releases on helmets.Not sure why... I love them......
I am one of the ones that hate them. The reason is simple, they poke at my neck, hurt when I bend my head down, and rub a raw spot in time. Basically, they are just too big . Like seats, there is a buckle for everyone, and the quick-release buckles aren't for me.

arntufun
11-23-2011, 06:30 PM
I am one of the ones that hate them. The reason is simple, they poke at my neck, hurt when I bend my head down, and rub a raw spot in time. Basically, they are just too big . Like seats, there is a buckle for everyone, and the quick-release buckles aren't for me.

:agree: Great minds think alike. :roflblack::roflblack:

trxrspyder
11-23-2011, 06:47 PM
It's all in personal preference.... I have been using the ECHO QR for years offroad with no issues with latching or any other kind.
I can suggest that for the few bucks that they do cost it might be worth it to pick up several different types and see how you like them.

retread
11-23-2011, 07:54 PM
My Nolan N42 came with about the best quick release I've ever seen, not bulky, easy on and off, thinking of seeing how hard it is to get some "spares" to put on my other helmets.

john

bruiser
11-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Bruisersbaby has a qr on both of her helmets. I can't remember what brand they are but she really likes them. Got them from a local biker shop run by a friend of ours. I still have the D rings on mine.

rnet
11-24-2011, 07:20 AM
I use them on my snowmobile helmet and have had no problems. They do keep your helmet on when it's needed. When your using gloves, the standard method is next to imposable. On my motorcycle helmet I use the D-rings.

Schnauzer
11-24-2011, 09:18 AM
We bought our grandaughter a helment {ZOX}it has an awesome quick release that came on the helment. We've tried to get info from the dealer where we bought it, says there on back order.. I personally took snaps & Hot Nail{16P} and placed several on the strap of my helment to fit different types of head gear I wear in different types of weather. I wear a half-helment so I have plenty of strap on the reciever side. Helment off/on in a snap:thumbup:.

Rayelljay
11-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Denman,
Sure would like to see more photos of those racing machines.
Where can I get more info..?

Bob Denman
11-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Those were the "pin your ears back and see what it'll do" machines of the late sixties and early seventies... The Boss Cat was of course Arctic Cat's venture into these wars...
Ski Doo
Polaris
Scorpion
Sno Jet
Chapparal
all had these beasts... The funny thing is; A lot of what you can buy to day will just about outrun all of them... Ain't technology grand?

SethO
11-25-2011, 11:22 AM
i have had a clip on in both my motorcycle accidents (if I would not have had a lid on I would have been dead) and both times they held up. they are handy because I have the balance of a toddler so I have to do many things one handed and these are great for that.

Bob Denman
11-25-2011, 12:11 PM
[QUOTE=SethO;393786] ...they are handy because I have the balance of a toddler QUOTE]

But the heart of a lion! :2thumbs:http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_12_2.gif

Clicker1944
11-25-2011, 02:34 PM
I bought these from eBay and worked wonderfully! -->eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCYCLE-HELMET-QUICK-RELEASE-BUCKLE-NEW-/160684657436?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&vxp=mtr&hash=item25698d4b1c)

I have the same on both our helmets and totally agree. Would never put up with D rings ever again.

ArkTerry
11-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Thanks for all the input! I think I will try a couple of the brands since they are so cheap!

Bob Denman
11-27-2011, 09:04 AM
There's no doubt that the "Double-D's" are preferred; (Did I just say that?:shocked:), but if you're a klutz like me you might find that the handiness of the clips will help make helmet wearing a bit easier choice... :thumbup: