PDA

View Full Version : Belt RIP

pierrelogic
11-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Took a trip down to ward the Ohio River Saturday. Got just below Waverly OH and felt a "vibration." I pulled over immediately and sure enough one of the teeth on the belt was almost detached. No dealer within 100 miles had one in stock so I made the decision to try and make it home. 86 miles later I rolled in with the belt chirpin' on me. In that time I lost 3 sequential teeth on one end of the belt and a single tooth on the opposite side.

34,500+ miles on the belt...not bad. And best of all it did not strand me. :clap:

New belt getting put on tomorrow. My opinion on the belt longevity and durability....pretty darn impressive.

Thought I'd share my experience.

cjackg
11-21-2011, 06:56 PM
The mileage seems impressive.... did you ride offroad or on gravel much ?

warp10
11-21-2011, 07:05 PM
I don't know why a spyder should be harder on a belt than a Harley. I have had several that had twice that milage when they were traded with the original belt still on. I would have expected at least 75,000 miles on the belt before problems. I will see what I get on the spyder.

I picked up rock that punched a hole in the center of the belt at 18,000 miles, the belt was still on the bike when I traded it in at 68,000 miles.

DragonLorD
11-21-2011, 07:20 PM
I don't know why a spyder should be harder on a belt than a Harley. I have had several that had twice that milage when they were traded with the original belt still on. I would have expected at least 75,000 miles on the belt before problems. I will see what I get on the spyder.

I picked up rock that punched a hole in the center of the belt at 18,000 miles, the belt was still on the bike when I traded it in at 68,000 miles.

Surface resistance on the wheel is about 10 x of conventional bikes, that is why although I have to admit that I expected some 50k on Spyder but at least we know now

Wattsmyname
11-21-2011, 09:35 PM
I had heard they lasted 100k or more, everyone says they are better than a shaft drive but I don't believe that one. Good news is that you were not stuck, thank heaven

kinggeek
11-21-2011, 10:26 PM
Glad you made it home Rob.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-21-2011, 11:51 PM
Curious as to what your belt tension was ????? and did you set it with a KRIKIT......Mike.....:thumbup:

reggystan
11-21-2011, 11:59 PM
I told you those burnouts wasn't good for the Spyder...LOL :yikes:

Glad you made it home Rob.

Took a trip down to ward the Ohio River Saturday. Got just below Waverly OH and felt a "vibration." I pulled over immediately and sure enough one of the teeth on the belt was almost detached. No dealer within 100 miles had one in stock so I made the decision to try and make it home. 86 miles later I rolled in with the belt chirpin' on me. In that time I lost 3 sequential teeth on one end of the belt and a single tooth on the opposite side.

34,500+ miles on the belt...not bad. And best of all it did not strand me. :clap:

New belt getting put on tomorrow. My opinion on the belt longevity and durability....pretty darn impressive.

Thought I'd share my experience.