PDA

View Full Version : Heated gear?

Pincushion
11-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Ok, I have a few questions regarding heated gear...

I and looking at getting a heated jacket liner or vest for myself and my wife (maybe gloves too we'll see)
I already have an ever expanding collection of jackets and gloves already... so why not!

Has anyone run both (jacket or vest and gloves) for ryder and passenger at the same time ?
Any issues with drawing too much power from the bike? I have an 2008 GS/RS.

What are your recommendations?
I have looked at the battery pack ones as well as the plugged in ones..

I know I live in San Diego but I plan to do some cold weather ryding a few times a year, and why not be comfortable?

BajaRon
11-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Ok, I have a few questions regarding heated gear...

I and looking at getting a heated jacket liner or vest for myself and my wife (maybe gloves too we'll see)
I already have an ever expanding collection of jackets and gloves already... so why not!

Has anyone run both (jacket or vest and gloves) for ryder and passenger at the same time ?
Any issues with drawing too much power from the bike? I have an 2008 GS/RS.

What are your recommendations?
I have looked at the battery pack ones as well as the plugged in ones..

I know I live in San Diego but I plan to do some cold weather ryding a few times a year, and why not be comfortable?

Both the battery pack and the hard wired versions have their advantages and disadvantages. I personally prefer the hard wired, especially for longer or extended trips but there are many who prefer the battery. The main thing is you never have to worry about charging a battery, you just jump on and go with all the heat you can handle.

I do not think you'll have charging issues if you get the correct gear (hard wired version). If you go this route just be sure to get a Pulse type regulator (like the Heat-Troller or similar). This will greatly reduce the amount of current used while giving you the same heat/comfort levels as any other regulator.

Pulse type controllers are more expensive but well worth the money.

If you decide on Firstgear equipment PM me. I can give you a good price on a package deal. If you can find a better price at least you'll know that you're getting a great deal.

Good luck in your search. There are a number of great heated products and brands out there to choose from.

ulflyer
11-19-2011, 08:22 AM
I've been using a Gerbing jacket and gloves for several years and am totally satisfied. Have used both on the Can Am with no issues. I've used the same gear on my Honda Helix 250cc, and previous Burgman 400's, and it didn't kill the battery.

Dtryke
11-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Just FYI.. I searched and found a company called Colorado Chaps. They make nice "single leg" chaps... Totally easy on and off. Velcro looped around your belt. Custom made. Mine are fleece lined with reflective stripe down each leg. About $118 (from memory). Batteries not required. They work very well. Here in Tucson, it's in the 30's in early mornings.....

Texmac1011
11-19-2011, 08:44 PM
My wife runs a jacket liner and glove liners direct wired to the battery on her 2008 with no problems.