PDA

View Full Version : Sad day for my Spyder

Idaspud
11-16-2011, 09:51 AM
On 11-15-2011 at about 10:00 Am was hit on my Spyder by a lady who ran a red light while I was making a left turn, she tore off the whole front end of the bike and cast it about 20 feet from where the bike stopped, I guess the bike can be repaired, best thing is I wasn't hurt was wearing my helmet and proper clothing didn't even get a scratch on me not so good for the Spyder. Figure it will be about 3 months to get it repaired and back and running again I already miss it.:yikes::mad::mad::wrong:

tuck
11-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Glad you're not hurt.

bullant12
11-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Wow!!! Glad you are ok!!:thumbup:

Hope your :spyder2: is fixed soon and even better than before!!:pray:

ArkTerry
11-16-2011, 10:06 AM
So glad your fine. So sorry about the Spyder though. Best wishes for a quick repair/replacment.

Lamonster
11-16-2011, 10:06 AM
:yikes:
I would say you came out great if it did that much damage to your Spyder. My guess is they won't be repairing it, it will be totaled.

I'm glad you're here to ride another day Bro
nojoke

dilyles
11-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Glad you are okay. I had a close call yesterday as well. People just don't look where they are going. Nearly took the front end off my bike as well. I could smell the smoke from her cig when she slid by me she was so close. Scared me so bad I almost bought a pack to smoke myself.:roflblack:

ThreeFeet
11-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Man am I glad you're ok!!! Hope the driver gets a whopping ticket and a detail job on "IT'S" seat. Anybody who runs a red light is an IT!!! and STUPID:cus:. Like Lamont said it will probably get totaled.:( There's SOOOO much stuff in that front end. Be like trying to rewire a new car! Where did the bike end up going, back to a dealer or home??? I know I'm nosey but if I get hit like that I'd sorta like to know WHAT to do with the bike.:dontknow: Good luck on your new ryde whichever way it goes.

fastfraser
11-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Glad you walk away from it ! Sorry about your Spyder but that's the insurance companies problem now .

Man I don't get it ! The size of these things make them pretty tough to miss . I know you sometimes can get distracted but to run into something that just not paying attention at all.

Macca
11-16-2011, 10:56 AM
The important thing is your ok..machines can be replaced.

Bob Denman
11-16-2011, 11:19 AM
I know your pain...:shocked:
It's good to hear that you are okay. The bike can be repaired or replaced.
Did they ticket the other driver?
At least I've got my check for the damages and they start work next week on the rebirthing! :thumbup:

DougB
11-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Freekin' cage drivers!

Idaspud
11-16-2011, 11:33 AM
I know your pain...:shocked:
It's good to hear that you are okay. The bike can be repaired or replaced.
Did they ticket the other driver?
At least I've got my check for the damages and they start work next week on the rebirthing! :thumbup:

Yes they cited her right there for running the red light

boborgera
11-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Glad you walk away from it ! Sorry about your Spyder but that's the insurance companies problem now .

Man I don't get it ! The size of these things make them pretty tough to miss . I know you sometimes can get distracted but to run into something that just not paying attention at all.

Size means nothing, People have been known to run into big yellow school buses, With flashing lites to booth.
People do stupid things while driving cars, And i might add also riding Spyders.
If every one drove 100% perfect there won't be a need for insurance.
The main thing is that no one was hurt!!

Idaspud
11-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Man am I glad you're ok!!! Hope the driver gets a whopping ticket and a detail job on "IT'S" seat. Anybody who runs a red light is an IT!!! and STUPID:cus:. Like Lamont said it will probably get totaled.:( There's SOOOO much stuff in that front end. Be like trying to rewire a new car! Where did the bike end up going, back to a dealer or home??? I know I'm nosey but if I get hit like that I'd sorta like to know WHAT to do with the bike.:dontknow: Good luck on your new ryde whichever way it goes.

I had to watch my baby be towed off it could not be driven they had to take it to their tow yard, man there was a thousand pieces on the ground

murphybrown
11-16-2011, 11:44 AM
On 11-15-2011 at about 10:00 Am was hit on my Spyder by a lady who ran a red light while I was making a left turn, she tore off the whole front end of the bike and cast it about 20 feet from where the bike stopped, I guess the bike can be repaired, best thing is I wasn't hurt was wearing my helmet and proper clothing didn't even get a scratch on me not so good for the Spyder. Figure it will be about 3 months to get it repaired and back and running again I already miss it.:yikes::mad::mad::wrong:

First and foremost soooo glad you are OK...and then on the "bright" side re..:spyder2:..could have happened in June!!!!!!:( Now that would be a real bummer!!!! Again sooo glad you are good and hopefully the lady that caused accident has insurance to cover Spyder repair....

flamingobabe
11-16-2011, 11:54 AM
glad you are OK...Spyder can be replaced.....

DynamoBT
11-16-2011, 12:11 PM
People think driving is a secondary activity to talking on the phone, texting, etc.

Glad she only took the front end off your Spyder. Could have been worse. Hope the insurance company treats you right. Glad you were able to walk away!!

SteveMac
11-16-2011, 12:21 PM
glad you are OK...Spyder can be replaced.....

Ditto and agree 100%.

ARtraveler
11-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident--but very glad you are all right. :agree: with all the above. Let the insurance companies deal with it now. Hope you get back on the road quickly.

acinpcola
11-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Sorry to hear about the spyder, the important thing is you are safe and living to tell about it. When a young woman bent my goldwing in half she was ticketed for not yielding the right of way.

Hope you hear about your spyder soon.

AC:spyder2:

NancysToy
11-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Glad it was the front end and not you that ended up getting tossed the 20 feet! Soryy to hear about your Spyder, but sure happy you are here to tell the tale.

smurfette
11-16-2011, 12:53 PM
So sorry to hear about your:spyder:. :( Thank goodness you had the proper clothing on, and best of all, you weren't hurt. Please keep us updated on Spyder's condition...

retread
11-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Glad to hear you're not hurt. All things considered, Spyders, no matter how much we love them, are still just "stuff", and can be repaired or replaced.

john

SpyderDon
11-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Glad you were able to walk away without a scratch, sorry about your Spyder. It can be repaired/replaced.

2Gunns
11-16-2011, 01:35 PM
after being hit twice over the years, I feel you. I was as lucky as you and walked away without a scratch both times. Glad your OK. (major intersection still make my butt pucker)

SpyderAnn01
11-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Glad to hear you are okay. Too bad for the Spyder though.

MarkLawson
11-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Praise God that you're OK!

(Now you know the only way to remove the front end of a Spyder faster than a Lamonster disassembly!)

Hawk Eye
11-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Glad that you are OK. You can always replace the Spyder.

Hawk :doorag:

glynnk
11-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Scary deal.....but glad you're okay.

Glynn

cougar
11-16-2011, 08:24 PM
My guess is the frame was bent or twisted with that much damage. I saw a complete frame replacement done on an RS, but on an RTS the cost would not be justifiable. Better start thinking about what color you want for the new one. Oh yea, don't forget to add cost for new underwear when the claim is filed. Glad ur OK.

cougar

GeoffCee
11-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Shows the good sense of being properly attired in protective gear. Nobody can predict when an accident will happen or how they'll come out of it. Happy you are OK, your Spyder will be repaired or replaced and you'll ryde again. :2thumbs:

dancogan
11-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Oh my gosh! Glad you're OK. The bike is just a ... well, a bike.

StanTheMan
11-16-2011, 09:24 PM
Sorry to hear about your Spyder; it's unfortunate. I'm glad you were not physically injured. I hope thing get settled quickly: so you can get back riding soon.

SemperFiSpyder
11-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Glad you're OK!

Sarge707
11-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Glad your OK- Can,t replace your health!!!
I swear its like "Escape and Evasion riding with distracted drivers today?"nojoke

rhansen309
11-16-2011, 10:24 PM
SO glad you are ok!!

GASpyderLady
11-17-2011, 07:58 AM
First and foremost soooo glad you are OK...and then on the "bright" side re..:spyder2:..could have happened in June!!!!!!:( Now that would be a real bummer!!!! Again sooo glad you are good and hopefully the lady that caused accident has insurance to cover Spyder repair....

MurphyBrown took the words right out of the tips of my fingers!

You cannot be replaced. Can you say 2012.... Too bad you will have to deal with depreciation -

Idaspud
11-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Glad you're not hurt.

Thank you so much,yes I was very lucky to not be injured.:2thumbs:

Idaspud
11-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Glad you're not hurt.

Thank you, and yes I was very lucky to not be injured.

Idaspud
11-17-2011, 10:38 AM
:yikes:
I would say you came out great if it did that much damage to your Spyder. My guess is they won't be repairing it, it will be totaled.

I'm glad you're here to ride another day Bro
nojoke

Thanks Lamont, I got the bike to the dealer and they are starting on the repair estimate now, Hoping for totaled so I can replace it with a 2012 RTs Se5

Bob Denman
11-17-2011, 10:44 AM
My guess is the frame was bent or twisted with that much damage. I saw a complete frame replacement done on an RS, but on an RTS the cost would not be justifiable

Not necessarily true... They're sticking a new frame under my Tupperware from my October incdent... $12,953 in damage... But the "Phoenix" will rise from the ashes! :thumbup:

Idaspud
11-17-2011, 10:46 AM
The important thing is your ok..machines can be replaced.

Thank you for the well wishes, I think I am very lucky, finely got the bike to the dealer so they can start the repair or replacement process:clap:

Idaspud
11-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Glad it was the front end and not you that ended up getting tossed the 20 feet! Soryy to hear about your Spyder, but sure happy you are here to tell the tale.

Thank you I'm fine and not even to sore today, Spyder is at the dealer to get the repair or replacement started, hoping for a totaled bike so I can move up to a 2012, keep your fingers crossed for me.

cougar
11-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Not necessarily true... They're sticking a new frame under my Tupperware from my October incdent... $12,953 in damage... But the "Phoenix" will rise from the ashes! :thumbup:

What insurance company? Mine does totals at 40% or more damage to value.

Bob Denman
11-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Wow!!! Only 40% and they total it?!? American Modern Home will let you get to about 70% before they start getting serious about taking the vehicle. But there aren't any hard and fast rules about the actual threshold though...

ArmyJoe
11-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Sorry to hear about your Spyder. Did you come off or were you able to hold on?

Bob Denman
11-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Me, or Idapsud?
I stayed put and rode it out... A rather uneventful crash; it such a thing exists... :shocked: I don't know if Ida was able to hang on or not though...

Bob Denman
11-17-2011, 02:22 PM
You might be able to grow it; but that doesn't make it the easiest piece to replace! I'd prefer paying for parts over healing any day of the week! :thumbup:

MikeinGA
11-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Sorry about you and your Spider. My wife allways wear riding gear, I rode bikes for years and saw a few crashs and a lot of blood. I hope you get a new spider soon. Ride safe.
Mike

cougar
11-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Wow!!! Only 40% and they total it?!? American Modern Home will let you get to about 70% before they start getting serious about taking the vehicle. But there aren't any hard and fast rules about the actual threshold though...

Bob,

On bikes. It is higher on cages but I do not know the percentage.

Mr. White
11-17-2011, 10:31 PM
I am glad you are okay...that is the important thing. Another Spyder is just around the corner.

For all: Carry a disposable camera in all of your vehicles. $5-6 at Wal-Mart to take photos in case of an accident. Big help to your insurance company. Phones work too.

:spyder2:

Bob Denman
11-18-2011, 08:07 AM
:agree::agree::agree::thumbup::2thumbs::2thumbs:

coz
11-18-2011, 05:55 PM
glad to hear you were not hurt. that was a beautiful ride. if they total it, see if you can buy it back cheap. then you can part it out and make A LOT of money to compensate your pain and suffering.:thumbup:

bruiser
11-18-2011, 08:44 PM
I too am glad you're ok. It is a full time job watching for other drivers whether you're in a cage or on a bike.

Mr. White
11-18-2011, 09:25 PM
I know you all know this, but if I help keep one person from an accident it is worth it. When you approach a car on a side street, or in a turn lane or slowing in a two lane road...WATCH THE FRONT TIRE...NOT THE DRIVER. If the wheel moves one inch, get ready to STOP...if it turns one inch toward you off of the straight center, look for the ditch. Practice looking for a safe exit area...look at a car stopped at a side street and pretend he pulls out in front of you....where would you go...car beside you? Now what? One thing is you are on a trike...you won't low or high side. Practice stopping at your local parking lot....ALWAYS LOOK FOR A DITCH...they are softer than hitting a steel auto. I have been through several ditches over the years and all I got was muddy....

Rant over...

:spyder2:

Idaspud
11-19-2011, 09:00 AM
Shows the good sense of being properly attired in protective gear. Nobody can predict when an accident will happen or how they'll come out of it. Happy you are OK, your Spyder will be repaired or replaced and you'll ryde again. :2thumbs:

I have always said that there are old bikers and there are stupid bikers but there are no old stupid bikers!I have had several of my female non riding friends say that this is the end of my riding , I let them know nope as soon as it's fixed or replaced I'll be back on the road. I tell them if I have to explain you just won't understand and leave it at that.

Will be again a very happy Spyder:spyder2: rider very soon!!!

canam9
11-20-2011, 03:44 AM
Wow, so sorry to hear, just glad your okay to ride another day!:ani29:

Questions
11-30-2011, 05:35 PM
Only just read this post. Glad you're OK though. I feel your pain cos I'd be lost without my Spyder!!!

Idaspud
12-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Only just read this post. Glad you're OK though. I feel your pain cos I'd be lost without my Spyder!!!

It's just been over 2 weeks since the accident and yes I have been lost without my Spyder, still working with Insurance trying to figure out the value of it. Do have a new 2012 RTS lined up just need my settlement so I can purchase it.

Questions
12-01-2011, 11:35 AM
It's just been over 2 weeks since the accident and yes I have been lost without my Spyder, still working with Insurance trying to figure out the value of it. Do have a new 2012 RTS lined up just need my settlement so I can purchase it.

So good may come out of bad in the end! Hope it's not too long before you're Spydering again.

cougar
12-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Idaspud,

I envision a new Spyder in your future.

Arr MiHardies
12-01-2011, 12:35 PM
I have always said that there are old bikers and there are stupid bikers but there are no old stupid bikers!I have had several of my female non riding friends say that this is the end of my riding , I let them know nope as soon as it's fixed or replaced I'll be back on the road. I tell them if I have to explain you just won't understand and leave it at that.

Will be again a very happy Spyder:spyder2: rider very soon!!!

If you have to explain offer to take them on a ride... Then they will understand....

Idaspud
12-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Very happy to report that all is right with the world once again, I took delivery of my new 2012 RTS SE 5 last night and now have the sum of 5 miles on the clock Wow I have only noticed a few changes on the 2012 over the 2011 model, mostly in the color of the lights on the dash and speedo. The new bike seems to ride smoother, I'm sure it's just me in my excitement to be on the road again. Thanks to all that wished me well in my accident with the old bike. Now on to new adventures with my new Spyder. And staying clear of older women who wish to run red lights and cause accidents.

Once again a very happy :spyder2:rider:2thumbs::ohyea:I just can't hold it in any longer woo hoo.:yes::yes:

Bob Denman
12-06-2011, 08:58 AM
:2thumbs::2thumbs::yes::yes::yes::2thumbs::2thumbs :

CyncySpyder
12-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Glad you are ok & that your insurance company came through.:thumbup:

Someone else asked & Im curious as well, but when you had your crash, were you able to hold on or were you thrown off? Sorry if you answered this & I didn't see it.:opps:

Curious, what are your first mods going to be? :p

Glad yur back in the saddle again & ryde safe :yes:

BikerDoc
12-06-2011, 05:33 PM
After tangling with a trailer truck the repair cost on my 2010 RTS was $18504 with the engine torn down but not repaired so they gave up and totalled it.. I hope and hope that my 2012 Limited will finally be here next week sometime... The good news was the insurance company (his fault) paid bigtime on my claim so financials look great...

PCBeachBum
12-07-2011, 04:51 AM

I'm sorry to read about your accident and was great to see your alright and you didn't have to wait to long to get back on the road with a 2012 RTS. I hate sitting in an intersection waiting to make a left turn and instead will make 3 right turns. This gets me going in the same direction. If I loose count, I'll make 7 right turns and this works also. If again I loose count, instead of making 11 right turns, I often give up and go home to try another day. :D

Lamonster
12-07-2011, 05:35 AM
Very happy to report that all is right with the world once again, I took delivery of my new 2012 RTS SE 5 last night and now have the sum of 5 miles on the clock Wow I have only noticed a few changes on the 2012 over the 2011 model, mostly in the color of the lights on the dash and speedo. The new bike seems to ride smoother, I'm sure it's just me in my excitement to be on the road again. Thanks to all that wished me well in my accident with the old bike. Now on to new adventures with my new Spyder. And staying clear of older women who wish to run red lights and cause accidents.

Once again a very happy :spyder2:rider:2thumbs::ohyea:I just can't hold it in any longer woo hoo.:yes::yes:
:congrats:
I know my 2012 is smoother than my 2010 but I figured that was because mine was pre production.

GloryRyders
12-07-2011, 06:50 AM
:congrats: on the new ryde!

ThreeFeet
12-07-2011, 10:55 AM

Once again a very happy :spyder2:rider:2thumbs::ohyea:I just can't hold it in any longer woo hoo.:yes::yes:Pictures of her please!!!! Gotta see what she looks like and are ya gona add lotsa lights so MAYBE "they" will see ya better???? nosey wants to know!!

Idaspud
12-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Glad you are ok & that your insurance company came through.:thumbup:

Someone else asked & Im curious as well, but when you had your crash, were you able to hold on or were you thrown off? Sorry if you answered this & I didn't see it.:opps:

Curious, what are your first mods going to be? :p

Glad yur back in the saddle again & ryde safe :yes:

I was not able to hold on the force of the impact was so hard that I was thrown off she hit me at full speed never even tried to apply her brakes speed limit is 40 mph. I have convinced the wife that my first mods will be the addition of side marker lights and the rear upper trunk break light. She told me that I'll have to wait till after Christmas to see what she is going to give me as a present tho. I love this woman!!!:yes::yes::yes:

Idaspud
12-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Pictures of her please!!!! Gotta see what she looks like and are ya gona add lotsa lights so MAYBE "they" will see ya better???? nosey wants to know!!

The new2012 looks just like my 2011 same color and model RTS S E 5, sorry no pictures of the new one yet. Wife did take a few with her camera of the new bike sitting next to old crashed Spyder and it looks very sad:(, she caption rest in peace old Spyder. Will try to download from her camera and post soon.

Questions
12-10-2011, 01:10 PM
I was not able to hold on the force of the impact was so hard that I was thrown off she hit me at full speed never even tried to apply her brakes speed limit is 40 mph. I have convinced the wife that my first mods will be the addition of side marker lights and the rear upper trunk break light. She told me that I'll have to wait till after Christmas to see what she is going to give me as a present tho. I love this woman!!!:yes::yes::yes:

I agree that the extra lights are a must. I had them fitted to my :spyder2: before I took delivery for exactly the same reason (though it's right turns that can be a problem here in the UK). Glad you're back in the saddle again :2thumbs: and enjoy your new ryde!!!