PDA

View Full Version : Hello, NEW HERE....but have problems with my new RSS

emoney230
11-11-2011, 08:08 PM
First I wanted to say hi to everyone. This is my first bike since 1996...(when i was 18) and have to say i'm having so much fun on my 2011 RSS SE5. That is until this am , when i found oil on the garage floor!! Lets explain how much a pain it is to get this bike and deal with the dealership. Dropped the bike off at my house with one bar of gas in it. Then cuz its a differnet state where i bought it, they said inspection included but wouldnt pay the inspection , so that was out of my pocket. Now i find oil on the floor and all over the right side of the bike. The black panels are ruined!! They will fix the bike but if i want new panels , then that s out of my pocket. The bike has 375 miles on it 2-3 weeks old..... Ok sorry for rambling...A couple of questions. 1. IS the oil problem common and easy to fix? 2. Should i tell them i want a new bike? 3. If they dont get me new panels, should i go to BRP and complain straight to them for new panels..

ARtraveler
11-11-2011, 08:16 PM
The mechanical experts will come on shortly.

The :spyder2: does not have an oil leak problem. This sounds like a dealer set up problem to me.

It sounds an awful lot like a "sell and dump" situation--hoping you will just go away. I would give the dealer a chance to make good--but if they won't--you need to call Carlo at BRP. You might have to find a new dealer if the one you bought from turns out to be less than customer friendly.

Wait for the free advertising until they get a chance to work with you or not.

Please keep us posted.

Love2Ride
11-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Definately let BRP know how the dealer is treating you. As for the oil. I don't know WHAT would cause that.

Around here Nancy's Toy and Lamonster are two of the pros. They'd know if anyone would.

I'm sorry to hear this. Not sure why the panels are ruined tho. They won't clean up? They're pretty resiliant.

NancysToy
11-11-2011, 08:20 PM
The oil on the right side could be anything, but the most common cause is a failer oil pressure sensor. Easily fixed. It is not a common problem, but it happens occasionally.

The panels aren't likely ruined. A good cleaning inside and out should have you like new. The dealership should clean things up under warranty. Most are pretty darned good about that sort of thing. I'd wait to see what the dealer does to correct the problem before I started talking new Spyder and BRP, that's for sure.

Sorry you got off to a rocky start, but don't let it get you down. Soon you and your new Spyder should be able to get to know each other better.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Since no one else has yet welcome to spyderlover's this problem will pass really it will I have done some hair pulling in my two + yrs of ownership and wouldn't trade for anything, and I used to own a Gold Wing that was trouble free.. I can feel your pain I too have THE DEALER FROM H E L L . But don't despair the people here will help as much as possible and comfort you too. Mike :thumbup: :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::clap::clap::yes::yes::ye s::yes::clap::clap: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :agree: I love icons

emoney230
11-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Thanks everyone....I'll wait to see what this dealership does before I start making a stink about things...Thank you again guys. I'm alittle bummed cuz they wouldnt look at it till monday and monday is to be in the 70's in N.H..... I'm crying.. Thanks again guys..Eric

arntufun
11-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks everyone....I'll wait to see what this dealership does before I start making a stink about things...Thank you again guys. I'm alittle bummed cuz they wouldnt look at it till monday and monday is to be in the 70's in N.H..... I'm crying.. Thanks again guys..Eric

:welcome: In the meantime, grap your camera and post a pic of your awesome machine. :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Eric, I do most of my riding in NH we'll have to hook up. Mike :thumbup: :cheers: :ohyea: :ohyea: :ohyea: :2excited: :agree: :hun: :chat: :bowdown: :yes: :yes:

emoney230
11-11-2011, 09:00 PM
:welcome: In the meantime, grap your camera and post a pic of your awesome machine. :thumbup: I thought I did, but i guess i just added it to my profile and not my aviatar. Thanks.

Mr. White
11-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Welcome to a great group of Spyders. Sorry for your problems. Give the dealer a chance to do the right thing and if he does not, raise hell. Talk to the owner, not the $5 per hour hacks...they care less. If the owner does not respond, contact Carlo (BRP fix it guy...others will give you a phone number if needed) and then spread the word...name names, dealer name, tell all Spyders the details....the dealer may not do anything, but you will feel better. Then find another dealer. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

:spyder2:

BajaRon
11-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Wow! What a rough start! Not the way to win return business at your dealership.

I would be very surprised if the panels are injured at all. That's probaly what the dealership thinks too and that may be why they're giving you the 'Out of pocket' answer. They could be a bit more informative and have a bit of sympathy for a guy having this much trouble with less than 400 miles on a new ride though.

I can't think of too many things on the right side that can spew that much oil. Does sound like maybe a pressure leak, but if it was losing oil at speed it can cover a lot of parts.

Right now it's best to relax, get your ducks in a row and see what the dealer is willing to do. There is time to get fired up later. Hopefully it's an easy fix and you'll be back in service quickly.

Hang in there, it has to get better. This is probably one of those times where it looks a lot worse than it is.

pushrod243
11-11-2011, 09:37 PM
I had a similar issue and it was the oil pressure switch. Mine leaked and quit working eventually. My dealer had to order one which sucked since I was down for a few days. I bought a spare in case it happens again. The panels should clean up fine I wouldn't fret about them.

SpyderAnn01
11-11-2011, 11:06 PM
:welcome: and I hope you get your issues taken care of soon.

capt.jim
11-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Hey Eric, welcome to Spyderlovers, I ordered a new oil pressure switch today, mine was leaving a 2" spot everywhere I stopped. The switch is on the right side of the motor towards the bottom. Wipe it clean with a cloth and see if it's oily, then let it idle until it's hot and check it again. Also check your oil level to make sure the dealer didn't overfill it, the vent hose going from the crank case to the airbox has a tendancy to blow oil into the airbox, which has a little weep hole in the bottom. Run your hand over the bottom of the airbox to see if it is oily. Don't cry yet, It probably is something minor and your panels should clean up fine.

MikeinGA
11-12-2011, 12:09 AM
First I wanted to say hi to everyone. This is my first bike since 1996...(when i was 18) and have to say i'm having so much fun on my 2011 RSS SE5. That is until this am , when i found oil on the garage floor!! Lets explain how much a pain it is to get this bike and deal with the dealership. Dropped the bike off at my house with one bar of gas in it. Then cuz its a differnet state where i bought it, they said inspection included but wouldnt pay the inspection , so that was out of my pocket. Now i find oil on the floor and all over the right side of the bike. The black panels are ruined!! They will fix the bike but if i want new panels , then that s out of my pocket. The bike has 375 miles on it 2-3 weeks old..... Ok sorry for rambling...A couple of questions. 1. IS the oil problem common and easy to fix? 2. Should i tell them i want a new bike? 3. If they dont get me new panels, should i go to BRP and complain straight to them for new panels..

My airbox leaked oil, it way an easy fix, and mine is a 2011 RS-S SE5 also. I do most of my own work on my bike. I would take it back to the dealership first and they should fix it for free. If they don't, tell them you want to talk to a BRP rep. Check your oil and see if it low. I have over 4,000 miles on mine and it's a great ride.

Mike

Ga Blue Knight
11-12-2011, 01:27 AM
Hey welcome to the Spyderlovers! Hopefully by now you have a good idea of why we love the forum with all of the great folks here. Don't get discouraged it will all work out. The panels should come off With just a few screws and clean up with hot water and dish washing liquid. Don't use anything solvent based as it might damage the exterior finish. I found that getting a copy of the shop manual either on paper or digital is the first add on that should be bought. It helps to locate stuff on the machine and will come in handy if you encounter any computer fault codes.

emoney230
11-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Thank you guys for the WARM welcome.... seems like this site has alot of info and helpful people , so THANKS!!! I did check the oil level as instructed by the manual ... oil barely touches the dip stick... I'm gonna wait to see what the dealer says.... They was oil everywhere, on the right side. I check my jeans I wore when riding that night and nothing on the side of my pants, and nothing on my new jordans. ( If those were wrecked , Id be really pissed) . So I'm going to give them time to fix and clean it up , and make things right.. hopefully. Again, Thank you and will keep u guys informed

ThreeFeet
11-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Since no one else has yet welcome to spyderlover's this problem will pass really it will I have done some hair pulling in my two + yrs of ownership and wouldn't trade for anything, and I used to own a Gold Wing that was trouble free.. I can feel your pain I too have THE DEALER FROM H E L L . But don't despair the people here will help as much as possible and comfort you too. Mike :thumbup: :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::clap::clap::yes::yes::ye s::yes::clap::clap: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :agree: I love iconsYa think?

smurfette
11-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Welcome to the Wonderful World Of:spyder:!!! I'm not too far from New Hampshire, where are you in NH, because I ryde quite often up there, and would love to meet up sometime! My Smurfette is a 2010 RT-A SE-5 transmission, and I too had a issue with oil leaks when I first got it (less than 400 miles, and only 2 months old) and again when I started ryding in the following spring. I took her to my dealership, and it did have to do with an oil pressure switch and an improperly sized fitting. Both repairs were made under warranty, and it turned out they ended up getting the service bulletin from BRP, my bike just happened to be the first one that presented with the problems. Be firm and persistant with your dealer, and as my brothers and systers have mentioned, call BRP, they really place a strong emphasis on customer satisfaction and service. If necessary, they will light a fire under your dealership's tailpipe!!! Good Luck!!!

emoney230
11-15-2011, 06:39 PM
OK... Here the up to DATE!!! I almost cried... My bike is in a million pieces (almost )... the dealership is dealing with BRP.. (I forgot what he said) but the techs are looking to see if something is missing on the cylinder head!! Ok... I worried. Bought the Bike OCT29..delivered to me OCT 31.. Bike broken on NOV 11th... Should i ask for a NEW bike. I mean, the techs are certified but once things start coming apart then things start coming apart...LOL.. Whats ur take guys?

wyliec
11-15-2011, 07:39 PM
OK... Here the up to DATE!!! I almost cried... My bike is in a million pieces (almost )... the dealership is dealing with BRP.. (I forgot what he said) but the techs are looking to see if something is missing on the cylinder head!! Ok... I worried. Bought the Bike OCT29..delivered to me OCT 31.. Bike broken on NOV 11th... Should i ask for a NEW bike. I mean, the techs are certified but once things start coming apart then things start coming apart...LOL.. Whats ur take guys?

You might want to start with your state's lemon law, if they have one for motorcycles.

BajaRon
11-15-2011, 07:52 PM

Still too early to worry. Details would help. If it's something missing on the head then you should be able to replace it and be on your way. If all they did was take a head off you're really not talking that many pieces or that far into things. But the Spyder does look 'Taken Appart' with all the tupperware off.

Get some details. That is the only way to get appropriate advise (thought we aren't against giving inappropriate advise here either! :roflblack:)

Love2Ride
11-16-2011, 10:39 AM
First, the Spyder is the saddest lil thing on the planet with it's panels off. Looks like a big ol bug with it's outsides peeled off. :(

Your dealer is doing their job. Sometimes it takes a bit to work through the troubles. It happens. These bikes are very resiliant. Like anything complicated there can be bugs from time to time. I don't think that anything permanent (damage wise) was done. It's hard to track down where all the oil came from when it's thrown all over the place.

Before you do the lemon law thing I'd give them opportunity to fix it. I do believe that you'll be on the road and falling in love with the Spyder experience soon.

Patience. I know, it's hard.... TRUST ME I KNOW. :banghead::opps:

Welcome to our world. :) With the ups and downs it's a great place!!!!

emoney230
11-16-2011, 06:32 PM
First, the Spyder is the saddest lil thing on the planet with it's panels off. Looks like a big ol bug with it's outsides peeled off. :(

Your dealer is doing their job. Sometimes it takes a bit to work through the troubles. It happens. These bikes are very resiliant. Like anything complicated there can be bugs from time to time. I don't think that anything permanent (damage wise) was done. It's hard to track down where all the oil came from when it's thrown all over the place.

Before you do the lemon law thing I'd give them opportunity to fix it. I do believe that you'll be on the road and falling in love with the Spyder experience soon.

Welcome to our world. :) With the ups and downs it's a great place!!!! I'm being as PATIENT AS I CAN!! But its Nov., its in the mid 60's and my :spyder2: is sitting in a garage, that isn't mine!! LOL... They r still working on it, and will hopefully let me know friday, whats up with it..

wyliec
11-17-2011, 10:19 AM

Welcome to our world. :) With the ups and downs it's a great place!!!!

I just want to set something straight. I was not telling the original poster to immediately run out and file with his/her state's lemon law. I was just trying to show him/her that even if motorcycles are covered there has to be a certain number of incidences where the vehicle has been brought in for the same problem and the problem has not been corrected. This would all be covered in his/her state's lemon law. So, I was just trying to say in a 'nice' way that you cannot just return the spyder because you are having a problem.

By the way, I do hope his/her problem is taken care of to his satisfaction.

emoney230
11-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Ok , guys thanks for all your support and answers. So called the dealership. Bike is fixed. I talked to someone in the service department and said I was all set! I asked "what was worng wit it?" ..... service tech " um, the cylinder valve head , hose thing, wasn't sealed right at the factory and they sealed it and its ok". I said " what does that mean". service tech... "the hose causes oil to get in ur airbox, but i sealed it and its good". Me" So that leak around the hose would cause a quart of oil on my garage floor?" Tech " i guess, not sure but ur bike is all buttoned up and ur alset". The only problem i see with this is, he called it a hose thing!! LMAO.. So i guess i have the same oil in the airbox as other people. Aagin, THANK YOU GUYS AND GIRLS!! look forward to a nice riding weekend..Eric

BajaRon
11-17-2011, 02:33 PM
Ok , guys thanks for all your support and answers. So called the dealership. Bike is fixed. I talked to someone in the service department and said I was all set! I asked "what was worng wit it?" ..... service tech " um, the cylinder valve head , hose thing, wasn't sealed right at the factory and they sealed it and its ok". I said " what does that mean". service tech... "the hose causes oil to get in ur airbox, but i sealed it and its good". Me" So that leak around the hose would cause a quart of oil on my garage floor?" Tech " i guess, not sure but ur bike is all buttoned up and ur alset". The only problem i see with this is, he called it a hose thing!! LMAO.. So i guess i have the same oil in the airbox as other people. Aagin, THANK YOU GUYS AND GIRLS!! look forward to a nice riding weekend..Eric

That's not a description, that's mumbo-jumbo. So you still really don't know what is up with your Spyder. I guess if it's 'Fixed' then it's fixed. But it would be nice to know exactly what was repaired.

Maybe the mechanic's service discription will shed more light, if they give you a copy of it.

I'm not surprised that it was easily fixed or that it was a small issue to start with. But it's always less than encouraging to have an 'Expert' on the other end who doesn't know what they are talking about.

Love2Ride
11-17-2011, 05:30 PM
I just want to set something straight. I was not telling the original poster to immediately run out and file with his/her state's lemon law. I was just trying to show him/her that even if motorcycles are covered there has to be a certain number of incidences where the vehicle has been brought in for the same problem and the problem has not been corrected. This would all be covered in his/her state's lemon law. So, I was just trying to say in a 'nice' way that you cannot just return the spyder because you are having a problem.

By the way, I do hope his/her problem is taken care of to his satisfaction.

Okay.
I wasn't being snarky to you tho when I wrote that. :)