PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Weapons when visiting Canada or non reciprocal States

Pennyrick
11-11-2011, 12:20 PM
A recent thread about traveling with weapons was closed before I had a chance to add this comment.

Earlier this year we were traveling to a meeting at a federal facility in another state and I knew that both their parking garage and facility would be off limits for weapons.

I carry a sidearm when I travel and when going through states that do not have a reciprocal agreement with Georgia I usually unload the weapon and lock it away in the side case (being careful to put the ammo clips in a separate location, thanks to South Carolina's goofy laws).

On this trip, though I had to find an alternative. So I called the Sheriff's department of the County I was going to visit and asked the Sheriff if I could leave the weapon at his office until my business at the Federal facility was completed. "No problem", he said. So I dropped it off with him and picked it up later in the day.

So, my suggestion is when traveling to Canada or a non reciprocal State (assuming you will return the same way you went), contact the local law enforcement folks and ask them to babysit your weapon until you return.

Bob Denman
11-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Simple... You don't want to put yourself in this position. As much as I HATE to say it; leave the firearms home when you're not going to be in a place where they are welcome... :gaah:

Bootie
11-11-2011, 12:29 PM
A recent thread about traveling with weapons was closed before I had a chance to add this comment.

Earlier this year we were traveling to a meeting at a federal facility in another state and I knew that both their parking garage and facility would be off limits for weapons.

I carry a sidearm when I travel and when going through states that do not have a reciprocal agreement with Georgia I usually unload the weapon and lock it away in the side case (being careful to put the ammo clips in a separate location, thanks to South Carolina's goofy laws).

On this trip, though I had to find an alternative. So I called the Sheriff's department of the County I was going to visit and asked the Sheriff if I could leave the weapon at his office until my business at the Federal facility was completed. "No problem", he said. So I dropped it off with him and picked it up later in the day.

So, my suggestion is when traveling to Canada or a non reciprocal State (assuming you will return the same way you went), contact the local law enforcement folks and ask them to babysit your weapon until you return.
I carried a Shotgun and Rifle into Canada with no problem. I had filled out Canadian firearm forms on the Web prior to my trip and also registered the firearms with US customs so I could get them back into the country.
DO NOT, however, under any circumstances, try to carry a pistol into Canada. They will put you UNDER the jail.

My $0.02
Bootie
Pepper Spray is also illegal in Canada. Don't ask me how I know:(

captblack
11-11-2011, 12:51 PM
I go out of my way to stay out of a state that will not let me carry my gun. In addition to my Georgia permit I also got one for Florida, which gives me a few more states to go through. The only exception to this is South Carolina - as stated above - I unload and separate, then get through SC as fast as I can ...

BTW, congress will be voting on the national carry law on the 15th. Read up on it and contact your representative. This sure would make life easier when traveling.

fispyder
11-11-2011, 02:23 PM
I live in SC and have a concealed weapons permit. Once you get one you can go to Pennsylvaia on line and pull thier application to carry firearms in thier state. Mine from Centre county PA. Did it in 09 good to 2014. PA firearms are recongized in most states.

SpyderDen
11-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Very COOL :thumbup::thumbup:
I thought the vote would have been closer.

SPYDERGUY1
12-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Actually Pepper Spray is NOT ILLEGAL IN CANADA if it is registered, just like the firearms....

Gordy
12-08-2011, 05:53 PM
bear spray is legal in canada but how would you register pepper spray and if you can do you have to have a conveyance permit :dontknow:

Bob Denman
12-09-2011, 08:03 AM
(...Heard this at a hunting club meeting last night...)
I haven't looked for details yet on this, but it was reported that a Nationwide carry system is forming up! :thumbup:
Evidently if you have a full-carry permit you'll be able to travel wnywhere in the U.S.A. (except Illinois and D.C.) and the States have agreed to reciprocity! :cheers:
Now I havn't seen details or confirmation on this yet, but be on the lookout for it! :2thumbs:

Bob Denman
12-09-2011, 08:13 AM
...Found some more info...
H.R 822
It's been passed by the House, but there's still lots more to be done before we can hit the streets ready to defend ourselves... :gaah: