PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio Reception - directionally affected

GadgetGuy442
11-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Sandy and I have a 2010 RTS that I installed the XM Radio to earlier this summer. The antenna mounts under the rear compartment cover, in the area between the cover hinges on a bracket.

We LOVE the radio, but have noticed that whenever we're traveling due south, our reception often cuts out maybe 50% of the time. As soon as the road veers a little SE or SW, the signal comes back in 100%. In fact, ANY direction other than due South, the reception is rock solid and 100%, even as we go through heavily wooded areas. But if we're going due South, even if we're in open highway stretches where there isn't a tree for miles around, our reception gets flakey! :(

Has anyone else noticed this? :dontknow:

All the best,

Bill

fastfraser
11-06-2011, 10:04 AM
We have the same problem . I even tried a temporary mount of the antenna on the out side of the rear trunk and it was only slightly better . As long as I can keep the satellite to my back its OK but as soon as I drive towards the satellite I loose reception. I cancelled my subscription and just use my Ipod.

SpydermanCT
11-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Any thoughts on using the extra hole on the trunk for an exterior mounted antenna?

http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/sirius_xm_radio_truck_antenna.aspx

fireplug98
11-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Any thoughts on using the extra hole on the trunk for an exterior mounted antenna?

http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/sirius_xm_radio_truck_antenna.aspx

I'm thinking the same thing. I bought the motorcycle mount in hopes of more unrestricted reception.
:-) Hope it works !!

GadgetGuy442
11-06-2011, 10:50 AM
I had considered an external antenna, and am sure that would probably nail it. I'd only be concerned about having to compromise my travel and storage covers, since the antenna would likely need to protrude through or else be damaged by the cover. I'd probably consider an external antenna as long as it mounted flat and didn't require any modifications to my covers.

I'm just frustrated that the roads I travel a lot on are generally aligned to a N-S-E-W grid. Since I get great reception in 15/16ths of the directions I do travel, why is the South 1/16 direction so lousy?? It's a very narrow blindspot that the antenna has!! It can't be a technical issue, since it works so well in every other direction but due South!

In the meantime, since the Blue Bomber is tucked away for the winter, I've transferred our subscription to our car for the winter. Don't have any directionality issues there!!

Bill

Mr. White
11-06-2011, 10:53 AM
The XM satellit is in fixed orbit in the south, so you will experience some interruptions while heading south...depending where you are in the United States. I have very little interuption. I never have interuption in my pickup which has factory installed XM, but the antenna sticks above the cab where the Spyder is somewhat hidden....and the Spyder electronics is third class compared to my Gold Wing trike....I have perfect XM on the Wing. It is all in the antenna.

:spyder2:

Bob Denman
11-06-2011, 02:08 PM
I had considered an external antenna, and am sure that would probably nail it. I'd only be concerned about having to compromise my travel and storage covers, since the antenna would likely need to protrude through or else be damaged by the cover.
What if you mounted the antenna where the CB antenna would normally mount?:dontknow:
:dontknow:(Assuming of course that you'd don't already have a CB antenna mounted there!)

GadgetGuy442
11-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Hi Bob,

Good thought, although I do have a CB antenna there (upgraded to a Firestik II).

That would be a good alternative to try. The antenna provided with the BRP kit is a flat mount that locates under the cover of the rear compartment. Perhaps if it were exposed, and mounted where the CB hole plug is (when there's no antenna) would be enough to boost signal.

Mounting an XM external antenna in the space where the CB hole is would be a good thing to try, since the factory covers accomodate a protruding antenna in that location.

I'll have to try something else since I want to keep my CB antenna as it gets used quite a bit, and don't want to have to trade that off for XM reception when traveling southbound.

Bill

NancysToy
11-06-2011, 04:35 PM
I have seen them mounted on the mirror, or on the panel beneath the windshield. Less interference there, since those are farther from the rider and passenger, so are not as likely to be in the "shadow".

spydercouple
11-06-2011, 05:31 PM
I solved that same problem by mounting the antenna under the skin of the left hand mirror. Pull the mirror off and take the top plastic part off. Feed the wire from the back to the front and hook it up. I used clear packing tape to secure the antenna because was not sure it would work. It works fine so I would now epoxy the antenna to the inner shelf of the left hand mirror.

GadgetGuy442
11-06-2011, 05:56 PM
I solved that same problem by mounting the antenna under the skin of the left hand mirror. Pull the mirror off and take the top plastic part off. Feed the wire from the back to the front and hook it up. I used clear packing tape to secure the antenna because was not sure it would work. It works fine so I would now epoxy the antenna to the inner shelf of the left hand mirror.

SpyderCouple:

Interesting approach you took! Help me understand though... you mounted the factory provided XM antenna in the left mirror? Is the antenna "upside down" if it's attached to the top, inside part of the mirror housing? Getting it out of the shadow and toward the front (as Scotty suggests) must be a key success factor then.

Also, when you remove the mirror to get the tupperware off for various things, you must not be able to take the mirror away from the machine because of the antenna leadwire?

You mentioned you had the same problem (mostly great reception except for one particular direction of travel), so if this works, I'll definitely give it a try. Has it made it just better or has it eliminated the "blind spot" the antenna had?

Thanks, Bill

Mr. White
11-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Good thought, although I do have a CB antenna there (upgraded to a Firestik II).

Bill, did the Firestik II fit or did you have to mod it some? Does it help your CB transmit and reception? Details, please.

:spyder2:

GadgetGuy442
11-08-2011, 11:49 PM
Hi George,

I had to take the Firestik to a machine shop and they turned down the thread size to fit the RT's base. That cost me $30 plus the cost of the Firestik ($21, I think).

I can't say it works any better than the original (which I'd accidentally broke), since I'm usually a mile or less from the people I'm talking with. It is more stout and tunable so I could optimize the SWR, so I'm sure it's gotta be more effective than the original antenna. Maybe only in my mind?? Who knows!!!

Bill

MarkLawson
11-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Scotty is correct concerning the rider's "shadow" effect. I had my XM antenna mounted in the trunk lid of my GL1800, which worked great, except when my precious bride was in the back seat. We would then have signal loss while heading south. Never had a problem while riding solo. I then mounted the antenna on the right side of the handlebars & found I rarely, if ever, lose the signal.

On my Spyder RT, I mounted my XM antenna for my Garmin Zumo 550 GPS on the clutch fluid reservoir lid. I have no signal loss there.

Mr. White
11-09-2011, 08:20 AM
Thanks Bill and Mark. I have little XM signal loss. It may be because I am in south TX. Not sure. I have about 1/2 mile or more transmit on my CB, which is okay with the group I ride with. I ride my Wing with the same group and the same rider tells me my Wing is much clearer with better distance than BR1. I have tuned the antenna (SWR) and adjusted the settings and hear pretty well. Not perfect, but I live with it.

GadgetGuy442
11-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Scotty is correct concerning the rider's "shadow" effect. I had my XM antenna mounted in the trunk lid of my GL1800, which worked great, except when my precious bride was in the back seat. We would then have signal loss while heading south. Never had a problem while riding solo. I then mounted the antenna on the right side of the handlebars & found I rarely, if ever, lose the signal.

On my Spyder RT, I mounted my XM antenna for my Garmin Zumo 550 GPS on the clutch fluid reservoir lid. I have no signal loss there.

UH-OH!!!!

I'll be in BIG TROUBLE if I tell Sandy I need to leave her at home to get good southbound XM reception!!!

I'd BETTER figure out where to mount my XM antenna to get un-obstructed, un-attenuated signal!!

Thankyou to all of you for helping me figure this out!! :clap:

Bill

NancysToy
11-10-2011, 09:35 PM
UH-OH!!!!

I'll be in BIG TROUBLE if I tell Sandy I need to leave her at home to get good southbound XM reception!!!

I'd BETTER figure out where to mount my XM antenna to get un-obstructed, un-attenuated signal!!

Thankyou to all of you for helping me figure this out!! :clap:

Bill
You will notice that I did not mention her by name. I know when I am well off. :roflblack:

prmurat
11-11-2011, 03:26 PM
I mounted mine inside the front trunk... very very bad reception! I had it before on my HD mirror and it was a lot better! I do not think there is too many others solutions with the Zumo 550 as the antenna is the receiver too...
Philippe

GadgetGuy442
11-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks to all for the comments and responses!

Was in Brighton, MI this past weekend and it was GREAT riding weather! I took the Blue Bomber out for a spin (1-up... as it was too cool for Sandy), and I noticed that my XM radio still worked (even though it was switched over to my car) for the 3 hours of ryding I did.... anyway... I was able to confirm that without a passenger to "shadow" the antenna, my reception was bulletproof in the southbound direction.

All of your comments and thoughts were extremely helpful, and now I know what I need to do this winter.... re-locate that antenna!!! This board is very helpful, in so many ways!

All the best,

Bill

:ohyea:

NancysToy
11-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks to all for the comments and responses!

Was in Brighton, MI this past weekend and it was GREAT riding weather! I took the Blue Bomber out for a spin (1-up... as it was too cool for Sandy), and I noticed that my XM radio still worked (even though it was switched over to my car) for the 3 hours of ryding I did.... anyway... I was able to confirm that without a passenger to "shadow" the antenna, my reception was bulletproof in the southbound direction.

All of your comments and thoughts were extremely helpful, and now I know what I need to do this winter.... re-locate that antenna!!! This board is very helpful, in so many ways!

All the best,

Bill

:ohyea:
Glad you chose to change the antenna location rather than modify Sandy. ;)

Bob Denman
11-16-2011, 07:52 AM
:agree::clap: "Modifications" like that often cost waaaay more than anticipated! :yikes:

NancysToy
11-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Well, the kind of modifications needed here would lend a whole new meaning to the phrase, "I can see right through you!"

Bob Denman
11-16-2011, 09:27 AM
Or, "My Lawyer will be talking to YOUR lawyer!" :yikes: