PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Clips

Tonga
11-06-2011, 05:48 AM
Well, I am on my way south for the winter, Florida that is with Spyder in tow. I had my 12,000 mile service done just before leaving. I was wiping my Spyder down and noticed one of my mirrors loose and after taking it off as it almost fell off in my hands, I found one of the clips broken. Looks like I will have to get a couple just in case. I would imagine that I am not the only one with this happening. My mirrors have only been off twice by my dealer, 600/12,000 service and once by myself. I put a small amount of grease to ease pulling them off but that did not help I guess now that one clip is broken. I think I will replace all the clips and keep the remaining ones as backups. Poor design !!!

Lamonster
11-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Not a big fan of the clips either but I've had mine off more time than I can count in the last 38,000 miles and I've yet to have to replace one. I have had to bend the wire back in shape but that's it.

rogerb
11-06-2011, 09:02 AM
One of the times I had my dealer work on my machine the mechanic broke one of the tabs while removing the mirror. They told me about it and said they would replace it the next time I brought it in or to stop by and they would put it in. They just didn't have some in stock and would be ordering them and stocking them after that. The next time in they replaced it without my reminding them. They had a notation in my files. Now that is a good dealer. They don't ride them but are committed to their customers. :thumbup:

SpydeRider2010
11-06-2011, 10:11 AM
if you're talking about the main clip that the mirror actually rests on...?; I agree.

popping them off from the bottom to remove it is easy. but the main clip on that stud is pretty thin and has no real strength. I found this out the hard way, when I bummped into it, while cleaning it one day.

I took a metal washer, outlined a pattern and fabricated a new one. worked well for my needs and I don't have to worry about breakage anymore.

ARtraveler
11-06-2011, 03:05 PM
This is an item BRP should consider when thinking about Spyder upgrades.

GeoffCee
11-07-2011, 06:04 AM
I agree it's a poor design. I know that you are supposed to pull it free and then slide it up, but so much force is needed to pull it free from the two spring catches at the bottom that the whole mirror often comes off in one go. This weakens or breaks the plastic of the slide-in mount at the top. It's a poor copy of the BMW mirror mount which is better and stronger for having three spring catches and no slide-in mount. :sour:

NancysToy
11-07-2011, 08:47 AM
I find it easest to remove the mirrors on both my BMW and my Spyder by rapping with the palm of my hand on the mirror to pop the spring loose. I first rap on the outside at the front, to loosen the front spring, then underneath to looenn the bottom spring. After that slide the mirror assembly up slightly to remove it from the keyhole slot in the top connector (not the BMW, which has three spring connectors). Re-installation is the reverse. Once you get the hang of it, it is really quite simple.

Tonga
11-09-2011, 12:24 PM
I have been here I Florida for a few days now but no Internet until now. A bad wire outside and it took a couple of days to get someone here to fix it. Anyway, still got to get to the local dealer for a couple of spring clips. Lamont, my mirrors have only been on and off 3 times. First service then the 12,000 mile plus I took them off myself once. As I said I put a small amount of grease to ease the removal but guess it didn't help, hence poor design quote. Other then that my RT is running great.

Tonga
11-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Just got back from the local dealer and lucky me he had a used clip that was replaced with a new one. He just gave it to me and it went in easy but those mirrors!! I never paid much attention to them before, they suck. They feel loose and wish they were mounted better. Think I'll replace all the clips when I get back home but think it won't do much!

fastfraser
11-10-2011, 07:45 PM
I like the set up. I find taking the mirrors off a SNAP.:roflblack: Iv'e had my mirrors off about 15-20 times with no issues, although they do feel loose.

Tonga
11-10-2011, 08:16 PM
15-20 times, wow! Mine have been off no more then 5 times and I even found my top plastic clip slightly Broken and in need of replacing. I think my tech guy pulled to hard to release the bottom that it pulled on the top clip. I found trying to push the mirrors back on was hard and I could not hear a distinct notch. It is connected but as I said it feels loose. I will get new clips all around, bottom and the top ones as well. I don't know why BRP did not just have a bolt on the underside to hold the mirror on securely, maybe cheaper to build this way?

NancysToy
11-10-2011, 09:41 PM
I like the set up. I find taking the mirrors off a SNAP.:roflblack: Iv'e had my mirrors off about 15-20 times with no issues, although they do feel loose.
If you squeeze the wires back to parallel, and push them in a bit if they are bowed, it will tighten the mirrors considerably. If you rap lightly on the mirrors to seat or unseat the clips, rather than pushing or pulling, they will last longer without bending.

stevedfive
11-10-2011, 11:24 PM
FYI: I just broke one and it costs $12 each.

Tonga
11-11-2011, 08:44 AM
If you squeeze the wires back to parallel, and push them in a bit if they are bowed, it will tighten the mirrors considerably. If you rap lightly on the mirrors to seat or unseat the clips, rather tahn pushing or pulling, they will last longer without bending.

Thanks for the tip Scotty.

SpyderDen
11-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Well, I am on my way south for the winter, Florida that is with Spyder in tow.!!

Why do I hear "The Beverly Hillbilly's" theme song when I read this first line? :dontknow:

fastfraser
11-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks Scotty . Both sets of wires around bottom holes are slightly bowed. :thumbup: