PDA

View Full Version : Checking your oil on a Spyder RT

Lamonster
11-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Had a call on this today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf-9JSCym4E

exwinger
11-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Had the same problem you did with the o ring , PIA . Couldn't get the dipstick to screw back with the ring in the hole so decided to take the ring out and install on the stick. Little rascal is slippery and thought I had a good grip on it....nope , down inside the panel somewhere. No way to find it . Anyone checking the oil should be very careful with the ring to prevent losing it. Too late I thought about leaving the stick in until getting the ring out .Live and learn I guess.

NancysToy
11-05-2011, 09:28 PM
:clap: Thanks for doing this video, Lamont! I have tried to explain this procedure several times, but it is far better in pictures than in words. One thing I would add, especially for owners of earlier RTs...it helps if you wet the pins a bit before pushing them into the grommets. I use spit (yuck!) but water will do fine if you are dainty. The wetness helps the pins slide through the grommet without pushing it through. The water (or spit) dries fairly quickly, and the dry pin is harder to come out than it went in, which helps prevent lost panels. I would not use any kind of lubricant on the pins or grommets. Some can deteriorate the grommets, and all make the panel come out too easily, increasing the chances of loss if your hook isn't properly latched. I also recommend gluing in the grommets with 3M Super Weaterstrip Adhesive or RTV silicone. Be sure and let the adhesive cure thorougly before riding. I also always pull softly at each corner after putting in the panel. If any corner is a bit looser than the others, you probably have failed to latch the hook, or a grommet has pushed through.

Dudley
11-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Had a call on this today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf-9JSCym4E

Just like the Owner's Manual tells you to do it!

Luckyme
05-28-2012, 05:18 PM
:clap: Thanks for doing this video, Lamont! I have tried to explain this procedure several times, but it is far better in pictures than in words. One thing I would add, especially for owners of earlier RTs...it helps if you wet the pins a bit before pushing them into the grommets. I use spit (yuck!) but water will do fine if you are dainty. The wetness helps the pins slide through the grommet without pushing it through. The water (or spit) dries fairly quickly, and the dry pin is harder to come out than it went in, which helps prevent lost panels. I would not use any kind of lubricant on the pins or grommets. Some can deteriorate the grommets, and all make the panel come out too easily, increasing the chances of loss if your hook isn't properly latched. I also recommend gluing in the grommets with 3M Super Weaterstrip Adhesive or RTV silicone. Be sure and let the adhesive cure thorougly before riding. I also always pull softly at each corner after putting in the panel. If any corner is a bit looser than the others, you probably have failed to latch the hook, or a grommet has pushed through.
First time I checked the oil, I was surprised at the amount of pressure to insert the pins into the grommets, and pulling them out to remove the panel too. Seems like an opportunity to break them.
I've had good success with putting a tiny amount of plumbers silicone on these types of pins. Then I read that these panels can just blow off? Mine seems to be secure, even after a little silicone, and now much easier to remove and install. The silicone I used is for for O-Rings, and seals, so I figure it will be good for the grommets. Hope I am not wrong. Maybe should have read this first?

Huntindawg1962
05-30-2012, 01:28 PM
The dealer where I picked up our Limited actually sprayed the grommets with PLEDGE when he was showing me the oil dipstick. Said they apply it to all of them at set up (except mine apparently)

bmwlarry
05-31-2012, 11:19 AM
The last time I was in for service, the tech told me a tip for checking the oil. He said he has realized that when the dipstick is out (make sure the O ring is all the way up against the lip) the oil level is full when the oil shows dead center in the top "sguare/box" on the dipstick. No need to re screw it in to check!