PDA

View Full Version : Hooking a BRP 622 Trailer To a 2008 Spyder RS?

kentompkins
11-04-2011, 08:55 PM
What are the problems hooking a BRP trailer to a 2008 Spyder? Wiring? Too heavy? Etc.?

I'm considering a BRP trailer and want to get an idea of what I'm getting myself into should I buy it. I will use the Corbin hitch because I have Corbin saddle bags.

ken tompkins

NancysToy
11-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Wiring may take some figuring, and changing the connector on the trailer (cheaper and easier than building an adapter). I would recommend using a powered converter for the trailer lighting, with it's own separate electrical circuit. Be aware that the 2010 trailers (at least the early ones) and the 2011 trailers are wired differently. The 2010 is 5-wire and the 2011 is 4-wire. That will affect your wiring setup. 4-wire is harder to adapt...it is often easier to modify the trailer by adding separate turn signals. In a pinch, a good trailer shop can probably help you sort things out.

The RT-622 is a marvelous trailer! It is certainly not the lightest thing around, but it handles like no other motorcycle trailer, with it's fully independent, coil-over, adjustable suspension. I think the RS will handle it just fine. It will be a sharp looking rig. Only one caveat, if you have an SE version of the RS, there is no trailer mode, so downshift manually and keep the rpm up. Short shifting is not a good idea when puilling a trailer...very hard on clutches, for one thing.