PDA

View Full Version : 40-45 mph shimmy

billpowell
11-04-2011, 12:19 PM
I have a 2010 RT and recently developed a shimmy at 40-45 mph. The local dealer says it is a bent rim, but I can't see anything wrong. Any ideas? Thanks much,

Rando
11-04-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm having the same issue! :popcorn::popcorn:

arntufun
11-04-2011, 12:42 PM
I have a 2010 RT and recently developed a shimmy at 40-45 mph. The local dealer says it is a bent rim, but I can't see anything wrong. Any ideas? Thanks much,

OK, you said it recently developed a shimmy. Did you hit anything recently ???

Bob Denman
11-04-2011, 01:47 PM
There's been some talk about rims and tires in another thread... The rims I guess, come from China so anything is possible. Jack up the front end and hold something solid as a reference nex to the edge of the wheel. Give it a spin a watch for any wobble... Good luck!

billpowell
11-04-2011, 01:52 PM
OK, you said it recently developed a shimmy. Did you hit anything recently ??? No, haven't hit a thing, not even a pot hole. That is what is confusing.

billpowell
11-04-2011, 01:53 PM
There's been some talk about rims and tires in another thread... The rims I guess, come from China so anything is possible. Jack up the front end and hold something solid as a reference nex to the edge of the wheel. Give it a spin a watch for any wobble... Good luck! Thanks for the idea, did it and no wobble.

arntufun
11-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Do you think it could be motor vibration or does the handlebars wobble ???

billpowell
11-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Do you think it could be motor vibration or does the handlebars wobble ???

The handlebars wobble. But only at slow speeds, if I accelerate thru the gears, there is no wobble.

arntufun
11-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Tire out of balance ??? :dontknow:

Raptor
11-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Yup, I was thinking unbalanced tire as well. weights fall off etc. Also check your ball joints, tie rod ends and so forth as well. If this developed just recently, think about any possible deltas or what happened on the ride before this started. I know you said you didn't hit anything, but were there any large bumps or potholes encountered last time out?

These wheels are not the best of quality for sure. I went through a right front tire prematurely and after I had the set replaced I had the front end aligned and things are much better now but there are too many weights on that right front wheel for my taste. That tells me right there that the wheel, though not bent, is not true. I know eventually I will have to get another set of wheels but don't want another set of these...

Rando
11-04-2011, 04:37 PM
I feel it in the handlebars and it is very noticeable when I look at the back of the front fenders and watch them oscillate from side to side. I had the wheels rebalanced and it made no change.

mxz600
11-04-2011, 05:09 PM
I don't have an RT but my GS does the same thing at about the same speed.

I never noticed it before I hit the deer, but my dealer claims he replaced all damaged parts and that nothing is wrong with the Spyder.

I put custom wheels on a while before I hit the deer, and even though I didn't notice the vibration before the accident I can't for sure say it wasn't there. After the collision with the hairy beast I was very tuned in to everything going on with the Spyder looking for possible issues.

I put Ride-On in the tires without any results. When I reach speeds over 65 MPH it smooths right out. So now I just always go about 70 MPH and all is good.

One day this summer Firefly and I were talking about my problem and he thinks it's the rims. He said he had the same thing with his custom rims, put the stock ones back on and the shake went away.

cougar
11-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Mine had shimmy. Took it in to a NTB and they rebalanced and no more shimmy.

NancysToy
11-04-2011, 05:58 PM
It is easy enough to verify a bent, or off-center rim yourself. Jack up the Spyder until the wheel in question will spin freely. Make sure the Spyder is stabilized with jackstands or something similar, so it doesn't rock (or fall of the jack and injure you). Tape a piece of stiff but bendable wire to the fender or a-frame, cut the far end to a point, and place it near the rim, almost touching. Spin the rim and watch to see that the rim stays at the same distance from the wire the entire time. Do the same thing and watch the rim track vertically. If there is any appreciable wobble or run-out, there is a problem with that rim. For high-speed use, the rim should track within 1/16" or preferably less. BTW, you can do the same thing with a dial indicator, but there is little to attach the magnetic base to on the Spyder.

The tire can also have problems, having a thick belt overlap, hard spot, or flat spot that makes it "thump at speed. High speeed spin balancing can often find these tires, but not all of them. Sometimes a tire truing machine is needed. You can check for trueness of the tire tread with the wire method, but the tires can change dimension at speed, so checking sitting still can't find every problem.

Star Cruiser
11-04-2011, 06:13 PM
There's been some talk about rims and tires in another thread... The rims I guess, come from China so anything is possible. Jack up the front end and hold something solid as a reference nex to the edge of the wheel. Give it a spin a watch for any wobble... Good luck!
Good idea. I might add, check for flat spots in the tire the Same way. Jack up the Spyder, hold something up to reference in FRONT of the tire and spin it. If it is not round you'll find the reason for a bounce on one side. It would usually be OK at faster or slower speeds.

Mowerman
11-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Just had the same problem. At around 40 to 45 miles per hour would get a shimmy. Started to get a tire wear problem at the same time. Took it in to the dealer. It was a bad ball joint. Have them check it out for you. You may have one going bad.

spyderman526
11-04-2011, 08:50 PM
hello i have a brans new RSS with 250 miles picked it up wed with 22 miles i road it 120 miles that day n felt the same shimmy at 40 to 45 mph went back to the dealer the next day they took it for a ride the tech said no its fine i went back out n came back later that same day told them to please have someone else ride it they did he said its fine to put 23 psi in the front tires the spyder manual sayes 13 to 17 n 26 to 30 rear still have a shimmy when i take it back ate the end of the week i will have them check it some more will let u guys know what i findout thanks

Bob Denman
11-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Took it in to the dealer. It was a bad ball joint. Have them check it out for you. You may have one going bad.

Another very good potential source of the problem...:thumbup: