PDA

View Full Version : Model number help

Dar
11-03-2011, 11:27 PM
SERIAL NUMBERS LISTING OF INVOLVED VEHICLES

Model: A3AA
From 000017 to 000020

Anybody know which one this is? I searched BRP's site in their parts locator for each year and did not find this model number anywhere?
I seen that A3AB is for 2010 RT SM5 full moon.
The reason I ask is Spyder is in shop for again for random dieing. It has done this since bought new last April. Just been living with it. Once this happens it is usually good for a while before it does it again. But last time finally got it going and 1/2 mile later did it again. So to the shop it went to a different one this time. Anyway I seen on BRP web about the recall for certain models for tight wires on the key switch. Just trying to figure it out. 1st shop I took it to a while back just said "no codes" these thinks are finicky sometimes. Anyway seen on the news that they got raided by the IRS last week.:D

NancysToy
11-04-2011, 08:32 AM
The model designations are listed in the parts fiche. Open your year, model, and type of Spyder (2010, Spyder RTS, SM) The model designations for that variety are given in the first group, above the various other groups like cylinder head, clutch, etc.

Now for the rant. Your dealer should be ashamed! "These things are finicky sometimes." Really? What pure, unadulterated horse hockey! Sorry that the tech is stumped, but you just paid tens of thousands of dollars for a product that is supposed to work...and is required to do so by law. Finicky , my Aunt Fanny. If the tech can't figure it out for himself, he needs to call BRP's dealer tech assistance folks, or email them. This problem is not normal, and can be resolved. If need be, contact Carlo and ask him to put the dealer in contact with the right experts. I sure wish we could train techs to understand that the computer will not tell them everything.

Your Spyder should not be one of the handful that had the loose switch and tight cables. As far as I know these were all pre-production or PE model, Timeless Black RTs. It never hurts to check, though. More likely, the problem is a loose connection elsewhere, usually either the battery terminals (under the body, not under the seat), or the rear frame ground at the negative jumper terminal under the seat. I'm betting if you check these, you will find your culprit. The next thing to look for is spark plug wires arcing to the engine, best checked in a dark room with the body panels off. This can cause the Spyder to die, and will not leave a code. A bad coil can do the same. The tech should have pulled the plugs and checked for fouling. If none of these bear fruit, the remainder of the electrical system needs to be checked for loose connections, including the key switch. The connector at the gauge cluster can also be the cause, as can a main connector. If these don't yield results, every connector will have to have the wires checked inividually. The pins can come loose in the connector if the were not inserted correctly. There are other possible causes, like the throttle body, but they typically leave a diagnostic code behind.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-04-2011, 08:53 AM
DAR WHO GOT RAIDED BY THE IRS FOR WHAT ????? ETC.

boborgera
11-04-2011, 09:15 AM
How many miles on the Spyder, Has any one messed with the spark plug wires, If so that's where i would look, Also could be throttle body's , Maybe your dealer really didn't check for codes??

Bob Denman
11-04-2011, 09:31 AM
:agree: X2 Amen...

arntufun
11-04-2011, 10:48 AM
DAR WHO GOT RAIDED BY THE IRS FOR WHAT ????? ETC.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Dar
11-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Around 3600 miles now. Been doing this since new. Anyway talked to service manager at the other dealer a while ago. He said they had to order a new switch. Hope this solves it. At least these guys seem to care.
WHO got raided: Calmes Motorsports, pronounced "cow-mes" Here are some links:
http://www.wbrz.com/videos/calmes-shuts-down-after-raid/
http://theadvocate.com/news/1175638-123/calmes-motorsports-shuts-in-irs.html
http://www.rocketmadness.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64029 This is on a forum.

ameobe
11-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Armed agents in bulletproof vests could be seen?

That sounds more like the FBI to me.

Glad you found a good dealer.:thumbup:

ARtraveler
11-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Scotty has you covered on the mechanical and dealer issues.

A dealer who sold CanAM with other brands that got raided by the FBI. It looks like its just another sleazy dealer going down here.

granpa in Cincy
11-04-2011, 11:34 AM
my Aunt Fanny

:D :roflblack: This is the first time I've ever seen anyone other than my father use that expression. :thumbup:

NancysToy
11-04-2011, 05:07 PM
:D :roflblack: This is the first time I've ever seen anyone other than my father use that expression. :thumbup:
At least you didn't say your grandfather...LOL!

Dar
11-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Shop replaced right hand handlebar kill switch assembly.:bowdown:
Time will tell if this was the problem.:pray:

Blue Star
11-13-2011, 05:59 PM

At least you didn't say your grandfather...LOL!

My Mom's Aunt was named Francis and was called Aunt Fanny.