PDA

View Full Version : FYI RT Performance package

FmfTxs
11-03-2011, 10:08 PM
I purchased the RT Stage 2 Performance package from Len at Cowtown. I must say that the hype does not come close to the reality of the Performance Package. IT FAR EXCEEDS THE HYPE. I took off on my Stock 2010 RTS SE5 from Houston, TX on October 24th at 7:00 a.m. and Arrived in Cuba, Mo. October 24th at 8:45 p.m. The next morning I arrived at Cowtown to meet Len, The package we discussed would include the Two Brother Exhaust, Elka front Shocks, Green Filter, Iridium spark plugs, plug wires and yes A Ram Air system for the RTS SE5 (Fog Lights) Dyno and tuned.

Len and I realized that Rain, Wind and Cold weather would be affecting my trip back home to Houston. Len placed two Techs to finish the job by 4:30 that day. This was truly a pleasure dealing with someone that understands customer service.

I had an 826 mile trip that started at 5:00 p.m. October 25th; this is what I learned about the Performance Package on this journey.

1. The Elka shocks make the RTS handle in turns and windy conditions so much better than the stock shocks..
2. Two BrotherExhaust, Green Filter, Ram Air, Plugs and Plug wires. Increase of Mid-range and Top end. (Increase of 18.5 H.P.)
3. The greatest achievement is the increase of 6.5 miles to a gallon; I actually got 179 mileson on 4.8 gallons

I have put on 2200 miles since these upgrades and the Spyder is so much more fun to ride.

My thanks goes out to Len at Cowtown, I rode 1726 miles for these upgrades and every mile was worth it.

Rick (FmfTxs)

Phil
11-03-2011, 10:20 PM
OUTSTANDING!!

Proof positive about the Cowtown gang. Worth the drive!!

Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk

Barbwire
11-03-2011, 11:36 PM
Not sure if you saw my previous post about adding the package or Fencepost's about the Dyno we did on my 2010 RT (see RT Shop Talk 10/29) after adding the Performance Package. We were amazed at the difference and how much more fun the twisties are with the new shocks. Enjoy the new ride, I sure am!

GloryRyders
11-04-2011, 06:00 AM
:congrats: on the "new" ryde.

Bob Denman
11-04-2011, 06:39 AM
:shocked: This is gonna get me killed for sure...
"Oh honey...."

chickridin
11-04-2011, 06:43 AM
Congrats on the new upgrades! :clap: I am sooooo freakin jealous! I wish I live near Cowtown. Sounds like a great place to deal with.

Mr. White
11-04-2011, 07:29 AM
I am impressed with Cowtown. I am pretty new at Spyderlife and wondering if Elka shocks would improve my ride/handling on my 2011 RT-S? I am not real agressive but I keep up my group in the hill country west of Boerne. I have read posts that BRP upgraded the shocks for 2011 and Elka's might not improve the ride that much. I have my shocks set on 4 (I ride solo) with 18 in the front and 28 in the rear. It seems to work okay for me so I guess that is all I need. Just wondering.

FYI As I get more miles on BR1, I find the ride is better than my Motor Trike overall. On the Interstate with the cruise set on 73, they are both great....

:spyder2:

FmfTxs
11-04-2011, 07:56 AM
I am impressed with Cowtown. I am pretty new at Spyderlife and wondering if Elka shocks would improve my ride/handling on my 2011 RT-S? I am not real agressive but I keep up my group in the hill country west of Boerne. I have read posts that BRP upgraded the shocks for 2011 and Elka's might not improve the ride that much. I have my shocks set on 4 (I ride solo) with 18 in the front and 28 in the rear. It seems to work okay for me so I guess that is all I need. Just wondering.

FYI As I get more miles on BR1, I find the ride is better than my Motor Trike overall. On the Interstate with the cruise set on 73, they are both great....

:spyder2:
If I lived in Boerne, TX I would upgrade to Elka Shocks. They would make a world of difference in the Hill country rides.

Enjoy the Ride
Rick AKA FmfTxs

FmfTxs
11-04-2011, 08:00 AM
Not sure if you saw my previous post about adding the package or Fencepost's about the Dyno we did on my 2010 RT (see RT Shop Talk 10/29) after adding the Performance Package. We were amazed at the difference and how much more fun the twisties are with the new shocks. Enjoy the new ride, I sure am!

Yes, I did read the post and that is what motivated me to post my observation. Your post was contributing factor on the upgrade.

Rick

efmautoclutch
11-04-2011, 08:09 AM
I am new to this due to a knee injury, traded in my BMW K, where do you buy this stuff from?> I am looking for a bigger windshield for my RT-S, been trying to buy the floorboards from VTS, and always interested in performance upgrades with everything I drive. I am by Akron Ohio.

I purchased the RT Stage 2 Performance package from Len at Cowtown. I must say that the hype does not come close to the reality of the Performance Package. IT FAR EXCEEDS THE HYPE. I took off on my Stock 2010 RTS SE5 from Houston, TX on October 24th at 7:00 a.m. and Arrived in Cuba, Mo. October 24th at 8:45 p.m. The next morning I arrived at Cowtown to meet Len, The package we discussed would include the Two Brother Exhaust, Elka front Shocks, Green Filter, Iridium spark plugs, plug wires and yes A Ram Air system for the RTS SE5 (Fog Lights) Dyno and tuned.

Len and I realized that Rain, Wind and Cold weather would be affecting my trip back home to Houston. Len placed two Techs to finish the job by 4:30 that day. This was truly a pleasure dealing with someone that understands customer service.

I had an 826 mile trip that started at 5:00 p.m. October 25th; this is what I learned about the Performance Package on this journey.

1. The Elka shocks make the RTS handle in turns and windy conditions so much better than the stock shocks..
2. Two BrotherExhaust, Green Filter, Ram Air, Plugs and Plug wires. Increase of Mid-range and Top end. (Increase of 18.5 H.P.)
3. The greatest achievement is the increase of 6.5 miles to a gallon; I actually got 179 mileson on 4.8 gallons

I have put on 2200 miles since these upgrades and the Spyder is so much more fun to ride.

My thanks goes out to Len at Cowtown, I rode 1726 miles for these upgrades and every mile was worth it.

Rick (FmfTxs)

Bob Denman
11-04-2011, 08:30 AM
I am new to this due to a knee injury, traded in my BMW K, where do you buy this stuff from?> I am looking for a bigger windshield for my RT-S, been trying to buy the floorboards from VTS, and always interested in performance upgrades with everything I drive. I am by Akron Ohio.

Welcome to the parteeee! :2thumbs: Everybody in here will have a different opinion as to where to buy the best "stuff"... :shocked: Take it all in and eventually you'll have your answers... :thumbup: (I don't want to throw my opinions in and monkey up all of the fun!) :D

efmautoclutch
11-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Were is a good place to start? I have looked at the ones on here, I want the same height, but wider, most seem shorter but wider.

NancysToy
11-04-2011, 08:49 AM
ESI, a sponsor of this site, and listed on the home page, should have the windshield you want.

pitbull
11-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks Rick, it was a pleasure getting to work with and for you sir! Glad you are enjoying your Spyder with the Preformance package! and the fuel milage well Its just a side affect of the whole thing lol. Again Rick I know it was a long haul glad it was worth it for you sir.

DougB
11-04-2011, 02:23 PM
I added the Elkas (front n back), the Green filter, and TBR exhaust myself. Never heard of ram air for the RT. Where can I get one?

pitbull
11-04-2011, 03:37 PM
I added the Elkas (front n back), the Green filter, and TBR exhaust myself. Never heard of ram air for the RT. Where can I get one? Cowtown.....but you will need a few more things than just that for it to work right....Give us a Call 800-258-6898....make sure you ask for Len and i'll walk you through it.

efmautoclutch
11-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Is this the same engine that in the Aprilla? If so, is the fuel injection the same?

pitbull
11-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Is this the same engine that in the Aprilla? If so, is the fuel injection the same? Same heads but not any of the rest.

efmautoclutch
11-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Thank you.

cougar
11-04-2011, 05:31 PM
"Oh honey...."

Uh oh. Dead man walking.

FmfTxs
11-04-2011, 06:16 PM
"Oh honey...."
It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission, also told my wife that i was going out for a ride. Two days later .........

Schnauzer
11-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Rick, I can't wait to hear that RT growl... Maybe Spydette will let me carry hers down to the muffler shop and build some ground-pounders for hers...

FmfTxs
11-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Rick, I can't wait to hear that RT growl... Maybe Spydette will let me carry hers down to the muffler shop and build some ground-pounders for hers...
we can only hope................

canam9
11-08-2011, 10:01 AM
When you are talking about " Ram Air" are you removing the Fog Light's ? Can you post a pic of the opening ? Thanks.:ani29:

Bob Denman
11-08-2011, 10:04 AM
It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission, also told my wife that i was going out for a ride. Two days later .........

Forgiveness???http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_72.gif You've never met my Missus... :shocked: Uh-oh! :yikes:

pitbull
11-08-2011, 10:48 PM
When you are talking about " Ram Air" are you removing the Fog Light's ? Can you post a pic of the opening ? Thanks.:ani29:

No we can both accommodated fog lights or none fog light models the coldair induction coupled with the green air filter working with thevright plugs and wires breathing through the proper exhaust, works very well together. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
11-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Question: Minus the Elkas; what would these mods cost? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_17_208.gif

Dragonrider
11-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Why isn't a Juice box required, as it is on the RS?? Performance on my RS, with those mods, was really crummy until the JB was added.. BTW, I love my Works Shocks - better looking package, & less costly…...

SteveMac
11-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Why isn't a Juice box required, as it is on the RS?? Performance on my RS, with those mods, was really crummy until the JB was added.. BTW, I love my Works Shocks - better looking package, & less costly…...

Maybe because the Cat isn't changed on the RT when the exhaust is changed? Therefore the O2 sensor doesn't freak out the computer?

Lamonster
11-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Maybe because the Cat isn't changed on the RT when the exhaust is changed? Therefore the O2 sensor doesn't freak out the computer?There are two o2 sensors too in closed loop.

MouthPiece
11-09-2011, 12:01 PM
I don't know how true it is, but my service manager said that BRP either has or is coming out with a performance package. Is this old news, inaccurate news, new news or redundant to this thread?

Chris

rcantrell52
11-10-2011, 10:20 AM
All,
Does adding the performance package to the RT void the remainder of Can Am/BRP warranty? The addition of any mods void this warranty?
Thanks,
Reese

zrc
11-10-2011, 10:22 AM
There is all kinds of comments around the Elka shocks for the RT, is it just assumed that the RS (GS) shocks are solid, or who all has replaced them and loves the new ones?

Sorry not trying to thread jack, just wondering.

Dragonrider
11-10-2011, 12:25 PM
I looked at both the Elka's and Works shocks when I bought mine, and found the Works to offer a similar quality & performance product for a far lower price. Don't know it that's still the case.

I find that I'm always 5 to 10mph faster on corners than stock…. just some input..

I really like the "ram air" concept - more cold air is always good, less restriction on the filter (added to a larger air flow), and lower exhaust restriction has always been a good mix. I put the Ram Air package on my RS, which used one of the Fog Light holes - if one doesn't use that, where would you capture the ram effect?? (aka; my old '69 Shelby GT 500)...

canam9
11-11-2011, 03:18 AM
All,
Does adding the performance package to the RT void the remainder of Can Am/BRP warranty? The addition of any mods void this warranty?
Thanks,
Reese

:popcorn::popcorn:

Trickie Dick
11-11-2011, 08:20 AM
There is all kinds of comments around the Elka shocks for the RT, is it just assumed that the RS (GS) shocks are solid, or who all has replaced them and loves the new ones?

Sorry not trying to thread jack, just wondering.
There those that put Elkas on their RS and enjoyed a handling improvement. Alot of us have put RT shocks on the RS for must less money and also enjoyed a handling improvement. I would say, if you are not a high performance type rider you would definitely get more bang for your buck putting RT shocks on your RS. Easy install BTW. You can pick up a pair of RT shocks here on SL from someone who has installed the Elkas on their RT.

zrc
11-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Awesome thanks.

Bootie
11-11-2011, 12:47 PM

Rick (FmfTxs)I agree with you 110%. Len and Cowtown are prolly the best dealer in the US. I would travel 100's of miles to get their service.
I do have a few questions about the results. 179mi/4.8gal = ~37mpg. This seems a bit optimistic. If it is the result of a single measurement, you actually need to take several measurements and average them. You could prolly get 37mpg if you kept your speed low, like less than 50mph. What was your average speed?
Also, did you Dyno the Spyder before and after you did the mods. An increase of 18.5hp seems a bit optimistic.
Anyway Len and Cowtown are the greatest. I wonder where we will be buying our next Spyder(s).
Bootie

FmfTxs
11-11-2011, 04:04 PM
I agree with you 110%. Len and Cowtown are prolly the best dealer in the US. I would travel 100's of miles to get their service.
I do have a few questions about the results. 179mi/4.8gal = ~37mpg. This seems a bit optimistic. If it is the result of a single measurement, you actually need to take several measurements and average them. You could prolly get 37mpg if you kept your speed low, like less than 50mph. What was your average speed?
Also, did you Dyno the Spyder before and after you did the mods. An increase of 18.5hp seems a bit optimistic.
Anyway Len and Cowtown are the greatest. I wonder where we will be buying our next Spyder(s).
Bootie The results where over several fuel stops. The average speed on the 806 miles I put on the Spyder was 65 mph. Yes, I usally do not average that speed, increase that by roughly 20 mph and the the fuel avg. was closer to 32.3.
The dyno was not done before the Spyder had the performance enhancements only after.
I agree that Len is by far the best Dealership( I will be buying my next Spyder from Len). All I can say is come to Spyderfest and Ryde my Spyder and you tell me what you think.
Any questions on the the package pm me and I will gladly talk to you.

Rick aka "FMFTXS"

NancysToy
11-11-2011, 07:41 PM
All,
Thanks,
Reese
In the US, it is illegal to void a warranty on a blanket basis, just because modifications have been made. The dealer must show that the modifications caused or contributed to the failure in order to void coverage for that specific failure (Magnuson-Moss Act). The remainder of the warranty would remain intact. There is very little that I can think of that would or could fail due to these modifications. That doesn't mean you won't have to struggle with some dealers, and maybe educate them, but these are mild changes, well within the engine management system's capabilities. As to the shocks, they aren't going to be covered under the BRP warranty any longer, but I'm sure that Elka has some warranty provisions...though maybe of a shorter duration.

pitbull
11-12-2011, 10:34 AM
In the US, it is illegal to void a warranty on a blanket basis, just because modifications have been made. The dealer must show that the modifications caused or contributed to the failure in order to void coverage for that specific failure (Magnuson-Moss Act). The remainder of the warranty would remain intact. There is very little that I can think of that would or could fail due to these modifications. That doesn't mean you won't have to struggle with some dealers, and maybe educate them, but these are mild changes, well within the engine management system's capabilities. As to the shocks, they aren't going to be covered under the BRP warranty any longer, but I'm sure that Elka has some warranty provisions...though maybe of a shorter duration. Scotty my friend you are spot on!!! :thumbup: Some dealers could play stupid games but in the end they will lose and we will all know who not to deal with any more! Thanks for the post Scotty! Also on Elka.....AKA Trooper has been so good to all of us on here, his support and product has earned my respect and my money......I'm currently running Elka on my spyder, and all the custom spyders we build! also I've ran elkas through in the king of the hammers on my redline, and am headed back to the hammers ths year in a commander,AKA "The New Pitbull Buggy" and you guessed it! it will be running ELKA's Thanks John & Elka for your support and products, When it comes to reliabilty and dependabilty and preformance, For me and thousands of other ryders and racers its ELKA!

pitbull
11-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Also thank you guys! your alll far too kind and I enjoy getting to know each and everyone of you. Thanks for the trust and support, when it comes time for your next spyder i'd love to be part of your next adventure! thanks gang!

MouthPiece
11-14-2011, 04:57 PM
I don't know how true it is, but my service manager said that BRP either has or is coming out with a performance package. Is this old news, inaccurate news, new news or redundant to this thread?

Chris

I stand corrected. What my service manager was referring to had no affiliation, connection, sponsorship, recommendation or support from BRP. Instead, he was suggesting to me an air to fuel ratio system called Power Commander together with special exhaust system, elkas (which I already have) and a couple of other mods to gain performance.

With that said has anyone either used or are familiar with the Power Commander system?

Chris

harleyRick
11-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Forgiveness???http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_72.gif You've never met my Missus... :shocked: Uh-oh! :yikes:

:wrong:

cjackg
11-16-2011, 10:28 PM
I stand corrected. What my service manager was referring to had no affiliation, connection, sponsorship, recommendation or support from BRP. Instead, he was suggesting to me an air to fuel ratio system called Power Commander together with special exhaust system, elkas (which I already have) and a couple of other mods to gain performance.

With that said has anyone either used or are familiar with the Power Commander system?

Chris
Several people installed the Power Commander system on RTs but there doesnt seem to be much feedback on experience after using it for a while. Not sure if it can be used on a 2011 or 2012. Here is one thread from earlier.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?24195-Power-Commander-for-RT

harddrive
11-17-2011, 02:42 AM
I had a powercommander 5 with auto tune on my HD classic. You have to install a map that matches your setup, meaning if you have a after market pipe and high flow air kit, the program has to be set for them. Most of the time, the bike will have to be dynoed to get the most out of it. Once you get is close, the auto tune will help optimize the system, but you still have to connect the computer to it to have it write the new settings from the auto tune every few weeks.

I have not put one on my RT because I think it runs good enough as it is, but it should be the same.

It made the HD run awesome... With stock pipes, woods cams, and a high flow air kit on the HD, my 96 cc engine was pushing 100 hpm(up from 65hp) and 103 ft pounds of tourque. Most of my buddies were putting the 103 kits on them to get those numbers.

Did I like it? Yeah, it was ok, but it made the bike very hard to start. It would turn over for a few seconds, start, run rough, sometimes die and would have to be restarted. Once I rode the bike for a while...let's say around 100 miles, once I shut it off, it did not want to start again. It never stranded me, but I got nervous a few times. The hard starting was cause by the Powercommander. I could remove it and the bike would start fine...had it looked at serveral times, but never got anywhere on a solution before I sold the bike.

Would I put one on my RT? Only if down the road, I decide to put a pipe and a high flow air kit, then yes. With out the performance changes, I do not see the need.

Lamonster
11-17-2011, 08:44 AM

ChrisThe Power Commander (Juice Box) made a big difference on my RS but not so much on my RT. I wound up taking it off the RT.

Pincushion
11-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Now if I could only convince Len and the gang to open "Cowtown West" here is sunny San Diego, California (our ryding season never ends here!)

I had the pleasure of meeting them at the last Spyderfest and I am convinced there is no better dealer (not to mention Spyder advocates) in the US.

PS I have added the Elka 3+ to HELLON3 and I am very pleased.

I am looking forward to the next trip to Cuba MO in April, and I am bringing some of my SRA friends with me this time!
(the pictures and descriptions from the few of us that made the trip last year convinced other that they do not want to miss it this years event)

pitbull
11-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Now if I could only convince Len and the gang to open "Cowtown West" here is sunny San Diego, California (our ryding season never ends here!)

I had the pleasure of meeting them at the last Spyderfest and I am convinced there is no better dealer (not to mention Spyder advocates) in the US.

PS I have added the Elka 3+ to HELLON3 and I am very pleased.

I am looking forward to the next trip to Cuba MO in April, and I am bringing some of my SRA friends with me this time!
(the pictures and descriptions from the few of us that made the trip last year convinced other that they do not want to miss it this years event).....Cowtown west you say?!?! lol not sure Cal would like me, not a big play buy the rules kinda guy:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:and cal has a bunch of them! I'll be there in febuary, Racing the King of the hammers race. It was great to meet ya looking forwarrd to having you back maybe i'll see ya in the sand and rocks of cal in febuary in johnsvile valley! :thumbup: about an hour south of Barstow

BajaRon
11-18-2011, 11:28 AM
.....Cowtown west you say?!?! lol not sure Cal would like me, not a big play buy the rules kinda guy:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:and cal has a bunch of them! I'll be there in febuary, Racing the King of the hammers race. It was great to meet ya looking forwarrd to having you back maybe i'll see ya in the sand and rocks of cal in febuary in johnsvile valley! :thumbup: about an hour south of Barstow

Barstow! :yikes: Now that is a beautiful place to go!

http://members.cox.net/bajaron/SpyderLovers/Barstow.jpg

Yfactor
11-18-2011, 02:33 PM
How about Cowtown East. Len it sounds like a chance to franchise with your personal oversight. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

pitbull
11-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Barstow! :yikes: Now that is a beautiful place to go!

http://members.cox.net/bajaron/SpyderLovers/Barstow.jpg Nothing like the hammers for a good race half desert half rockclimb.....and you know i'll be running on elka's

How about Cowtown East. Len it sounds like a chance to franchise with your personal oversight. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:HHHuuuummmm the wheels are turning, I'm open to playing!