PDA

View Full Version : You SHOULD get a Battery Tender

kinggeek
11-03-2011, 01:43 PM
OK, Nobody say WE told you so but today I experienced why every spyderowner should listen to the people in these forums and get a Battery Tender.:bowdown:

I had a VERY BUSY two weeks and was not able to ride so today I decided to take the Spyder to lunch. Pulled out of the driveway drove 1.5 miles to get gas and filled up. Went to start the Spyder and nothing but click, click, click, and off. :mad: Flashing dash lights, the whole shebang.:mad:

At first I thought my throttle body locked shut and blew a fuse again but a quick call to Middletown Cycle and they said jump the battery as that is most likely the issue.

Had to get a jump from a passerby that thought the Spyder was pretty cool.
:yes:Luckily it worked.:yes:

I IMMEDIATELY rode to the nearest cycle shop, left the Spyder running while I went inside and bought a Battery Tender Junior for $35.

Will most likely have questions on how/where to install the leads.

From now I will listen to you guys more than my wife on all things Spyder!:D

Thanks fellow Spyderlovers for the advice even though it took a failure for me to listen!

BLUE MULE
11-03-2011, 01:55 PM
I bought this for my Battery Tender. Plugs into the 12V outlet in the trunk and charges it from there. This works much better for me and I didn't have to mess with hooking up pigtails on the battery.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CJ927I

Bob Denman
11-03-2011, 02:14 PM
:agree: :thumbup:

SteveMac
11-03-2011, 02:49 PM
I bought this for my Battery Tender. Plugs into the 12V outlet in the trunk and charges it from there. This works much better for me and I didn't have to mess with hooking up pigtails on the battery.

+1. Worked for me also!

BajaRon
11-03-2011, 04:35 PM
I'm sure a battery tender is a great idea but I leave my Spyder for weeks sometimes and never have a problem. I wonder why others don't seem to be able to do this.

effgjamis
11-03-2011, 05:19 PM
You have a ghost riding in your absence.. Anyone up the hill might be borrowing and riding without your knowledge.. Just a dumb thought.:roflblack: :roflblack:

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-03-2011, 07:06 PM
When i first got the :ani29: I screwed up and went somewhere stopped for awhile.. When i returned it wouldn't start jumping wasn't an option....so I did something I would never try with my Gold Wing I ran with the spyder and jump started it that way ( flat asphalt parking lot ) YEA SPYDER Mike:thumbup:

exwinger
11-03-2011, 09:21 PM
How old is the battery ??
Something else is going on somewhere. If the bike started and then wouldn't start after riding then there's something wrong with the charging system , battery or terminal somewhere. Is the battery old ??? I'm willing to bet that even after putting the battery on the tender it will fail again after riding a bit. You need to check or have someone check the battery voltage while the bike is running to see if it's being charged......I'm betting it isn't. A lot of people seem to think the tender will be a life saver and is the reason their battery isn't going dead on them. If the battery and charging system are both good then installing a tender is a waste of money unless the bike won't be stated for an extended time.....not just days but months and even then if the battery is good it should still hold enough charge to start the bike. That's my opinion and a lot will disagree and if you want to use the tender then have at it. If your battery is fairly new and not holding a charge then you either have a bad battery or bad charging system.

NancysToy
11-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Something else is going on somewhere. If the bike started and then wouldn't start after riding then there's something wrong with the charging system , battery or terminal somewhere. Is the battery old ??? I'm willing to bet that even after putting the battery on the tender it will fail again after riding a bit. You need to check or have someone check the battery voltage while the bike is running to see if it's being charged......I'm betting it isn't. A lot of people seem to think the tender will be a life saver and is the reason their battery isn't going dead on them. If the battery and charging system are both good then installing a tender is a waste of money unless the bike won't be stated for an extended time.....not just days but months and even then if the battery is good it should still hold enough charge to start the bike. That's my opinion and a lot will disagree and if you want to use the tender then have at it. If your battery is fairly new and not holding a charge then you either have a bad battery or bad charging system.

:agree: The battery could be bad, the battery terminals dirty or loose, or the rear frame ground (negative jumper terminal) loose. Loose or dirty terminals (or a loose ground) will prevent a battery from charging well. Start it once and run down the battery, ride some curves and use more power with the steering, and ride in stop & go traffic or at too low rpm, and the battery suffers more. Stop for a Coke and you end up stranded.

BTW, the Battery Tender can be hooked right to the jumper terminals under the seat with the included alligator clips, so there is no mechanical work required. It can also be plugged into the rear 12V outlet with a cigarette adapter, which is really convenient for me. Hooking up the pigtail to the battery terminals (inside the bodywork, not at the jumper connections) will kill two birds with one stone, though. You can clean and tighten the terminals while you are there.

ARtraveler
11-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Your battery may have some issues. The purchase of a battery tender is a good investment though. I let my Spyder sit the last two weeks and it started right up when I went to move it into winter parking mode in the garage. I leave the battery tender connected the whole winter parking season. Nov-Feb. I try to ride in March.

kinggeek
11-04-2011, 12:10 AM
I'm sure a battery tender is a great idea but I leave my Spyder for weeks sometimes and never have a problem. I wonder why others don't seem to be able to do this.

Ron,

I have never had an issue either until this time. No idea why it happened now just do not want it to happen again.

kinggeek
11-04-2011, 12:18 AM

I assume the battery is the same age as the Spyder, purchased January 30 2011, as I said previously no issues before today.

I was told by the dealer when I called for help this is not at all uncommon for the Spyder and that they recommend/sell a Battery Tender Jr. to all Spyder buyers who will listen as standard required equipment.

Ga Blue Knight
11-04-2011, 06:05 AM
The more electronic devices that are installed on a bike of any type the greater the chance of a slight draw on the battery. A basic RS model just has the five computers and a slight draw. On an RT you start to get more and more electronics so I would recommend a battery tender of a trickle type if you only ride once or twice a month in a cold climate. Keep in mind battery chargers of any type can fail wide open as well as not working at all. A battery can fail due to overcharging as well causing a sulfated condition inside of the cell. The best way to keep any motorcycle and its battery healthy is to ride it, even for a few min. Note that a motorcycle charging system does not charge at idle speeds so just leaving it run in the garage will do nothing but run down the battery by starting it a lot.

Sny
11-04-2011, 07:37 AM

Good idea...

just wanted to point out that doesn't work on a GS/RS as the outlet turns off when you shut the key off.

3Willie
11-06-2011, 11:04 AM
I always hook my Battery Tender contacts directly at the battery clamps. They have a lot better contact and heavier wires than most plug in electrical outlets seem to provide. Just a thought, but it seems that any time I short cut an important component repair there eventually is a negative outcome. For items with a lower long term current draw, the outlet would be fine.

It seems that the Tupperware has been off the Spyder often enough for other things that battery access has not been a problem. I also am a believer in using the spray protectant on battery terminals and contacts. Since I started using sealer, I have had no problems on any battery in cars, truck, etc. Currently using Permatex Battery Protector and Sealer, but would think there are many other good products out there. The key seems to be getting all surfaces clean by using baking soda or other good cleaner to get rid of any corrosion before applying the sealer.

Bob Denman
11-06-2011, 02:18 PM

Perhaps the problems start cropping up when weeks become months; as they do up here during Winter storage...

Air Force PAO
11-07-2011, 06:35 AM
What exactly is a Battery Tender? I have read many threads about them. I am sure it has a major part in keeping the battery charged. But, can a simple battery charger do the same thing?

boborgera
11-07-2011, 06:59 AM
What exactly is a Battery Tender? I have read many threads about them. I am sure it has a major part in keeping the battery charged. But, can a simple battery charger do the same thing?

To make it simple, A standard charger will keep on charging a battery till you turn the charger off,
A tender will automatically turn off ,and turn on again if the battery needs to be topped off , With out over charging and ruining the battery like a standard charger will.

3Willie
11-07-2011, 08:52 AM
The Battery Tender only keeps a battery at full charge if the battery is good. A bad battery will quickly lose charge no matter what you use to charge it. If your battery is good(load test it to be sure), then start tracking down the other issues. Short rides in any vehicle may not give the battery time to charge using the on board charging system. Many other issues can cause battery drain and may be simple but hard to find if sporadic. Motorcycle batteries generally do not seem to be designed to last as long as car/truck batteries. There are some exceptions, but usually quite a bit more expensive.

I have found that good quality batteries are like good tools. You get what you pay for, so decide what you really want or will use before purchasing.nojoke

SpyderFun
11-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Here some more info on this topic that is found in other threads & a cheaper cigarette adapter from Battery Tender.

Battery Maintainer:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?33730-Battery-Maintainer
(http://batterytender.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Adapter+081-0069-5&x=0&y=0)
Battery Not Holding a Charge:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?31201-Battery-on-2011-RT-won-t-hold-a-charge&p=359084#post359084

Adapter:
http://batterytender.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Adapter+081-0069-5&x=0&y=0

Remember, per the maintenance manual, riding at a lower RPM does not allow the Spyder's "charging system" to charge at an optimum level which equals to constant battery drain. The more accessories operating equals faster drain. Using a Battery Tender (religiously) can correct this by ensuring that your battery is charged to its peak. Also, riding at a higher RPM will greatly aid in maintaining a fully charged battery.

Air Force PAO
11-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the information. I am NOT sorry I asked. I love learning new stuff.

vampyregirl
11-07-2011, 02:44 PM
My :spyder2: came with a pigtail already attached! I already have a battery tender from my 2 wheeler, so I'm set for the winter!!

Since I haven't ridden in over a week (it's been quite chilly here), I really should go start Spydie up just to make sure!!! Tomorrow is supposed to be gorgeous with a high temp around 68!!! I be rydin' to work!!!! Today would have been good too, but I got up too late.... :opps::opps:

DragonLorD
11-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Hey Lads,
I might have a bad bad news for you, reading this forums and stuff about your pigtails and battery tenders and so on so forward.......
I bought my Spyder in May 2009 brand new SE5, put on it all lights available from TricLed. Com , believe me my Spyder puts any Christmas Three in shame, never garaged, ridden in every possible weather, wet, cold, one up, two up, installed 600 Watt audio some 18 months ago and have it on all the time I riding ever since on full volume all the way up and guess what? - still running on stock battery and never had it on tenderiser or recharged ever. All I do is check and tighten up battery poles once a month. Most of you folks thing that prevention and maintenance are the same thing - wrong. Once you start messing with battery you are done, same way you treat your cell(battery) you should treat every battery. Once you start charging your battery before it asks for it, kinda " just in case scenario " you more than likely going to ruin capacity of power of your battery etc.
Stick with old proven - " don't fix what ain't broken "
Howgh
.....no offence, just my 2c
Good luck Boyzzz

SpyderFun
11-07-2011, 06:25 PM
...Most of you folks thing that prevention and maintenance are the same thing - wrong. Once you start messing with battery you are done, same way you treat your cell(battery) you should treat every battery. Once you start charging your battery before it asks for it, kinda " just in case scenario " you more than likely going to ruin capacity of power of your battery etc...

I would agree whole heartedly IF we were talking "Old Battery Tech" but this is not true with new battery tech. What you seem to reference as damaging was known as a battery's "memory". New materials used in todays modern batteries eliminate this concern. Additionally, manufacturers make no warning or cautions to this charging practice. But each can do, or don't, as they decide to.

Finally & Simply Put:
Prevention is the act of or the preventing of something, usually bad, from happening.
Maintenance is what a manufacturer of a product has establish as a necessary action to maintain warranty or useful life.

carny bill
11-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Can anyone tell me the easiest way to get to the battery. My 09 GS started flashing "brake failure". I thought I would disconnect the battery for one minute to try and reset. Battery must be buried in the tupperware somewhere. I tried taking the negetive terminal off under the seat and found out that the nut is not fastened to frame of bolt and just turned. Had heck of a time getting to the nut to tighted back up. Any help appreciated.......Bill

Mr. White
11-08-2011, 05:19 PM
I use several battery tenders on my vehicles...some are Deltron Battery Tender and some are Wal-Mart tenders made by Schumacher. I plug my RT-S in with a plug in the trunk. I have hookups on my Wing, 4X4, riding mower and motorhome....they work for me. I have used a tender on my Wing since I bought it 11/1/01. I change my scoot batteries every three years whether they need it or not. Cheaper than getting stuck in Turlingua, TX! JMHO

:spyder2:

NancysToy
11-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Can anyone tell me the easiest way to get to the battery. My 09 GS started flashing "brake failure". I thought I would disconnect the battery for one minute to try and reset. Battery must be buried in the tupperware somewhere. I tried taking the negetive terminal off under the seat and found out that the nut is not fastened to frame of bolt and just turned. Had heck of a time getting to the nut to tighted back up. Any help appreciated.......Bill
Do yourself a favor, check the brake fluid level in your master cylinder instead. it is the most common cause of the brake failure message. The Spyder is very sensitive to brake fluid level, and alarms even when it looks OK but is nit topped off clear to the mark. To access the battery you have to remove the left side body panels, but disconnecting it won't reset the failure code.

boborgera
11-08-2011, 06:13 PM

Before you go to the battery, Check your brake fluid,If it's even a hair low you will get the brake warning.

carny bill
11-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the replies, I will check the fluid later today. Thanks again