PDA

View Full Version : Installed highway pegs...have an idea..your thoughts....

Riker
10-31-2011, 04:17 PM
Hi,

Just installed these and really like them. As you may or may not know, they are only made ( and states on the site ) for the weight of your feet while riding. Standing directly on them will more than likely result in bending of the subframing it connects to.

I installed them without the linkage extension. Now my idea... obviously there is a certain weight threshold that will result in the metal bending. What if I was to create a linkage similar in design length ( some other type of metal ) that would have a slightly weaker threshold, therefore causing the link to bend and not the frame. I would make several sets for easy swap....just a thought...maybe I am just paranoid... :p

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/305126_2516879928625_1452042944_2843208_1900873365 _n.jpg

Ga Blue Knight
10-31-2011, 05:11 PM
I dont think that would be a good idea as the mounts are way stronger than the subframe they are attached to. Why would you want to stand on them anyway?

5PYD3R
10-31-2011, 05:42 PM
Seems that its not really necessary. Do you like having them set after the black plastic part and how tall are you? What brand of mounts and pegs are they too? I am trying to decide on which ones I want if you havent noticed. :D

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-31-2011, 06:41 PM
I will gladly come to wherever you keep your :ani29: and custom make you a set that will be guaranteed not to brake no matter what you do !!!!!! ONLY $10,000 delivered. :gaah: :yikes: :roflblack: :roflblack::roflblack:

Riker
10-31-2011, 07:17 PM
:) .. I think my point got missed...

I am not worried about me doing it..I am worried if someone else stupidly stood on it. I was well aware of its limitations when I purchased them...

Just trying to think outside the box

My thought was if someone stood on them not realizing there purpose, the link would bend, not the frame of the Spyder...

Nevermind :p

Blue Star
10-31-2011, 07:51 PM
:) .. I think my point got missed...

I am not worried about me doing it..I am worried if someone else stupidly stood on it. I was well aware of its limitations when I purchased them...

Just trying to think outside the box

My thought was if someone stood on them not realizing there purpose, the link would bend, not the frame of the Spyder...

Nevermind :p

Strong possibility with that happening. Went on a ryde this weekend, and had a tourist group, that I think was Chinese, come up and take photos standing in front of our Spyders. I let one of them get on to take a photo, and she tried to use the highway peg to get on. I have the same set as you.

Trickie Dick
10-31-2011, 08:39 PM
I've got the same mount and pegs. I've had them for 2 years and never had an issue of people using them to get on the spyder. They are too far forward to use for mounting.
BTW the pegs are Rivco or at least mine are. Mine are sold black but look very similar. I will say, I think you need to be above average height to be comfortable with this set up. As you can see, they are mounted pretty far forward.

coz
10-31-2011, 08:45 PM
your pegs look great. just fold them up when not in use and don't worry about.:thumbup:

Blue Star
10-31-2011, 08:59 PM
I've got the same mount and pegs. I've had them for 2 years and never had an issue of people using them to get on the spyder. They are too far forward to use for mounting.
BTW the pegs are Rivco or at least mine are. Mine are sold black but look very similar. I will say, I think you need to be above average height to be comfortable with this set up. As you can see, they are mounted pretty far forward.

I have mine set up the same way with the extension linkage straight up. I am 5'9" and works fine for me.

Riker
10-31-2011, 09:13 PM
Here is mine installed...took a pic tonight..

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/375760_2517090253883_1452042944_2843548_1173395722 _n.jpg