PDA

View Full Version : Pull Behind Spyder Cargo Trailer?

kentompkins
10-31-2011, 01:42 PM
Anyone have any experience with America's Best Trailers? They sell through Ebay and have a basic design somewhat like the BRP trailer (two openings, etc) but at a considerable discount.

I would love to have a Bushtec (my Spyder is a 2008 SM5 with Corbin bags so I have to get a special Corbin hitch) but can't afford it and haven't been able to find a good one for sale in the Mid-Atlantic states. So, I have been looking at other brands.

I'd like to know about the construction of the America's Best Escalade trailer. For example, what is the bottom made of. The video shows a flat sheet of something but it's hard to tell what it is. It doesn't appear to be fibreglassed.

Any information about this trailer would be appreciated.

ken tompkins

ps: the Escalade can be seen here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pull-Behind-Motorcycle-Cargo-Trailers-Trailer-4-Motorcycles-Pull-Tow-Bike-?cmd=ViewItem&hash=item2eb8b3f234&item=200667296308&pt=Motors_Trailers

Ga Blue Knight
10-31-2011, 02:33 PM
Any pull behind is great as long as you do your math. RS has a load capacity of around 450 pounds. Subtract your weight, any passenger weight, cargo weight, trailer weight and hope you come up in the positive or slightly negative number. If you exceed this negative number too much you could have issues with the brakes, Nanny computer and drive line. The RT is geared lower and is more able to handle the weight but the bike itself weighs more. There are also two types of trailer hitches, one that attaches to the swingarm (BRP) and a frame mounted one (Bushtec). I am not sure if that makes any difference.

bikeguy
10-31-2011, 03:10 PM
You can find a little more info on the America's Best trailer at the following link. It says that the cargo box is fiberglass. It's a nice looking trailer.

http://www.discount-trailers.com/pull-behind-motorcycle-trailer.htm

Cotton

NJERNIE
10-31-2011, 04:09 PM
Ken the trailer you are looking at looks awesome. Don't know anything about it but it sure looks nice and the price is great.
:yes::yes:

Spyderjockey
10-31-2011, 07:13 PM
Anyone have any experience with America's Best Trailers? They sell through Ebay and have a basic design somewhat like the BRP trailer (two openings, etc) but at a considerable discount.

I would love to have a Bushtec (my Spyder is a 2008 SM5 with Corbin bags so I have to get a special Corbin hitch) but can't afford it and haven't been able to find a good one for sale in the Mid-Atlantic states. So, I have been looking at other brands.

I'd like to know about the construction of the America's Best Escalade trailer. For example, what is the bottom made of. The video shows a flat sheet of something but it's hard to tell what it is. It doesn't appear to be fibreglassed.

Any information about this trailer would be appreciated.

ken tompkins

ps: the Escalade can be seen here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pull-Behind-Motorcycle-Cargo-Trailers-Trailer-4-Motorcycles-Pull-Tow-Bike-?cmd=ViewItem&hash=item2eb8b3f234&item=200667296308&pt=Motors_Trailers

Ken, I don't know if you got my email. I know a guy that bought one of these America's Best Escalade Trailers and was very unhappy with it. The lids did not shut tight and he was able to see right between the lid and body of the trailer. He complained to the manufaturer and after a long delay they sent 2nd lids and he said they were worse than the first. He has sent everuthing back and is now fighting with them to get a refund and in the meantime he bought a used BRP trailer and is very happy with that. Just wanted to warn you of his bad experience with this company! I will forward his email to you.

spydergramp
10-31-2011, 07:56 PM
Ken
I bought the trailor you are talking about from American's Best trailers ,the seals lacked
about 1/4 inch from sealing water out, not good for traveling in rain.
the paint wasn't that great eather,Jason the owner? sent another shell with fresh paint
and water leak tested . it came damaged ,paint was worse than the the first one , and
you could see light through the front door seal with it closed .
I have sent everything back and trying to get a refund,I hope this will help.
Tom

Euripedes Neves
10-31-2011, 08:48 PM
I have one, i am very happy, only 175bls. take a pic on my pictures, very well made and spare tire. carpet inside, locks and more. very very impress w/ quality. any questins contact me. good lock.

SteveMac
10-31-2011, 09:05 PM
I just ordered one from them. See below. I just couldn't justify the cost of the 622 for the number of times I plan on using it. I got the non painted version so it would match my next spyder when my current one gets retired. I hope I don't have some of the issues described above. I was thinking this was the same one that Yazz pulled to Alaska and back. That convinced me that they would be OK. The price certainly is right. Hope the quality is too.

http://tapatalk.com/mu/46f9db73-53b2-678e.jpg

acinpcola
10-31-2011, 10:28 PM
You could also choose to go my way. Not expensive, watertight..pulls great.

Be Safe
AC:spyder2:

cyclelover63
10-31-2011, 11:01 PM
I purchased an Escalade from them and found paint and fit issues..It is all fiberglass including the floor..I work with a body man and gave Jason at America's Best a quote and he rapidly credited my paypal what it would cost to repaint the trailer..I will have to do something on the lid seal due to the fact I didn't see this until later..I wish I would have bought the steel one that Yaz took to Alaska..If you do buy the escalade,get a hopkins converter box with a 5 wire connection (if you have an RS or GS) becuase the escalade has seperate turn signals and brake lights.. You can use a 4 wire hookup if you want to use the brake and turn lights on same red lense..

retread
10-31-2011, 11:30 PM
You could check out a Piggybacker XL, decent trailer, decent price. I've got a Harbor Freight Tag a Long, but they are not available anymore.

john

Trickie Dick
11-01-2011, 09:39 AM
I just ordered one from them. See below. I just couldn't justify the cost of the 622 for the number of times I plan on using it. I got the non painted version so it would match my next spyder when my current one gets retired. I hope I don't have some of the issues described above. I was thinking this was the same one that Yazz pulled to Alaska and back. That convinced me that they would be OK. The price certainly is right. Hope the quality is too.

http://tapatalk.com/mu/46f9db73-53b2-678e.jpg
I have the steel one as well. I pulled it to Maggie Valley and then again up to the UP with no issues. I felt the same way about a trailer. I just can't justify the 622 with the limited amount of travel we do. I think the ABT is a good value as far as the steel one is concerned. It comes with lots of little extras like a spare tire, hitch lock, interior light and wiring harness. Little things, I know, but they add up.

SteveMac
11-01-2011, 10:03 AM
I have the steel one as well. I pulled it to Maggie Valley and then again up to the UP with no issues. I felt the same way about a trailer. I just can't justify the 622 with the limited amount of travel we do. I think the ABT is a good value as far as the steel one is concerned. It comes with lots of little extras like a spare tire, hitch lock, interior light and wiring harness. Little things, I know, but they add up.

Thanks for that. Are you also happy with the fit and finish? Does the lid seem to seal well, etc? I am
Very happy you posted. I was beginning to worry!!

And yes you are right about the extras. I even got the aluminum wheels and the cooler thrown in! They do add up.

rcdurango
11-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Gotta say, love that 622 trailer. Looked at most of the others that where out there also, Cowtown made me a deal that by the
time I had gotten trailer and then the Hitch plus Labor for wiring everything up. It wasn't that much more. And as they say,
You have a nice rig. Just a thought for all that are thinking of buying one. Shop and compare.

P.S. Whats a guy gotta do to become a Senior Member around here????

NancysToy
11-01-2011, 04:16 PM
.....P.S. Whats a guy gotta do to become a Senior Member around here????
It is based on the number of posts. Senior is 100, I think.

tofriendscreek
11-01-2011, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=acinpcola;386852]You could also choose to go my way. Not expensive, watertight..pulls great.

What make/brand/model is it?

Trickie Dick
11-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks for that. Are you also happy with the fit and finish? Does the lid seem to seal well, etc? I am
Very happy you posted. I was beginning to worry!!

And yes you are right about the extras. I even got the aluminum wheels and the cooler thrown in! They do add up.

The lid doesn't seal as well as I would like but even in even in the 6+ hours of rain nothing got wet inside. On mine I need to realign it a little to make it close properly the first time. Now I have to move it a quarter of an inch for it to latch. Also thinking of running a thin rubber gasket around the inside of the lid. But again, no leaks so far. You might check with Yaz as well since this is the same trailer she took to Alaska.
As far as the finish is concerned, mine has a flat black body. I will probably have to repaint in 2-3 years but no big deal.
One more thing, unless things have changed, among the extras you will receive is a license plate holder. If you use it, there is no ground on the light so you need a work around for that. I just ran a wire to the frame.
Yes, I would buy it again.

SteveMac
11-01-2011, 09:05 PM
The lid doesn't seal as well as I would like but even in even in the 6+ hours of rain nothing got wet inside. On mine I need to realign it a little to make it close properly the first time. Now I have to move it a quarter of an inch for it to latch. Also thinking of running a thin rubber gasket around the inside of the lid. But again, no leaks so far. You might check with Yaz as well since this is the same trailer she took to Alaska.
As far as the finish is concerned, mine has a flat black body. I will probably have to repaint in 2-3 years but no big deal.
One more thing, unless things have changed, among the extras you will receive is a license plate holder. If you use it, there is no ground on the light so you need a work around for that. I just ran a wire to the frame.
Yes, I would buy it again.

Excellent. Minor things I can deal with. Thanks for the follow up.