PDA

View Full Version : Lesson learned, beware!

5PYD3R
10-30-2011, 01:13 PM
I know a lot of you fellow spyder lovers are BIG fans of the O2 mod from Evoluzione. It was also a thought in my mind to try but with how Evoluzione has treated me with another Spyder product (license plate relocator) I will NOT be giving them anymore business! This product did not even last for one ride until it was ripped off by the rear tire and blew out the plastic tail section.

Now just so you know: Yes I was riding two-up, and No, my girlfriend and I are not over-weight to where that would be an issue as Evoluzione had hinted at. I also had the rear shock adjusted for two-up riding. After being told time after time to call back for the owner I have had no luck and now my phone calls do not get answered or returned. Now I am out the money for the kit and for the damage done to my Spyder and the cost of a new license plate. I wish that companies new what "customer service" was and would take care of me. I told them many times if they made it right, I would not post anything bad about them and everything would be fine. George from the company told me "that the owner does not care to help me because in his mind, he will get bad mouthed anyway and it is not worth it to him." Below are the pictures of the bike after installation was completed and the damage done afterward.

So, if you are thinking about doing this mod...BEWARE! I am now out about $100 and got nothing out of it. As some of you may have seen at another post I did, I was getting opinions about where to put the plate due to this happening. I held off telling people why because I wanted to give the company the chance to make it right. Now I am just sick over it and am tired of TRYING to deal with the company.

Dragracer
10-30-2011, 01:24 PM
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I do have a question. I assume photo 1 shows the plate relocated with their kit? And photo 2 shows the license plate bent after contact with the rear tire? If so, the only thing I can see that would make the plate hit the rear tire was too much suspension travel. That would be caused by the shock setting and weight carried on the bike at the time of contact.

My question is how is this the fault of Evoluzione? Putting the plate in the location shown is an invitation for tire/plate contact. I would imagine that's why BRP didn't mount the plate there. :dontknow:

SethO
10-30-2011, 01:33 PM
I know a lot of you fellow spyder lovers are BIG fans of the O2 mod from Evoluzione. It was also a thought in my mind to try but with how Evoluzione has treated me with another Spyder product (license plate relocator) I will NOT be giving them anymore business! This product did not even last for one ride until it was ripped off by the rear tire and blew out the plastic tail section.

Now just so you know: Yes I was riding two-up, and No, my girlfriend and I are not over-weight to where that would be an issue as Evoluzione had hinted at. I also had the rear shock adjusted for two-up riding. After being told time after time to call back for the owner I have had no luck and now my phone calls do not get answered or returned. Now I am out the money for the kit and for the damage done to my Spyder and the cost of a new license plate. I wish that companies new what "customer service" was and would take care of me. I told them many times if they made it right, I would not post anything bad about them and everything would be fine. George from the company told me "that the owner does not care to help me because in his mind, he will get bad mouthed anyway and it is not worth it to him." Below are the pictures of the bike after installation was completed and the damage done afterward.

So, if you are thinking about doing this mod...BEWARE! I am now out about $100 and got nothing out of it. As some of you may have seen at another post I did, I was getting opinions about where to put the plate due to this happening. I held off telling people why because I wanted to give the company the chance to make it right. Now I am just sick over it and am tired of TRYING to deal with the company.

have had some empty promise stuff from them too and several calls and no owner around. that sucks man, what a joke they would not call you back.

arntufun
10-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Sorry to tell you this but, it is your own fault. Your shock was not adjusted to the stiffest setting. If your shock is not adjusted all the way up of course you will rip the plate off. Trust me when I tell you this because I did the same thing you did. :lecturef_smilie: After I adjusted the shock all the way up, it has never happened again. I did that mod long ago and know what I'm talking about.

I got a bracket and light on ebay for 10 bucks so my stupidity was not as costly as yours was. Good luck to you and order one on ebay for cheap and adjust your shock. :thumbup:

arntufun
10-30-2011, 02:03 PM

5PYD3R
10-30-2011, 02:07 PM
It is not my fault! If you read my whole post, I wrote that I had the shock adjusted for two-up riding ( at its stiffest setting) I weigh 175 and the gf weighs barely 105.

arntufun
10-30-2011, 02:20 PM
It is not my fault! If you read my whole post, I wrote that I had the shock adjusted for two-up riding ( at its stiffest setting) I weigh 175 and the gf weighs barely 105.

I'm not trying to battle with you, I'm only trying to help.:gaah:
If your shock is adjusted correctly, no way will it hit. We weight much more than you both ( mainly me ) and we bounce up and down on the Spyder and it doesn't even come close now to the plate. If your 100 % positive about the shock setting, there might be another issue, like a bad shock. :thumbup:

5PYD3R
10-30-2011, 04:26 PM
I am not trying to battle either. My shock is adjusted at its stiffest though. I have seen one other thread that someone posted that said they had the same issue so I know its not just me. Also, you need to realize that my issue is not as much about it happening and causing the damage. its about Evoluzione not doing anything about it and completely blowing me off.

5PYD3R
10-30-2011, 05:21 PM
I'm not a fan of Evoluzione, but just what are you looking for?:dontknow:

Mods are done at your own risk, if you put a license plate right over the rear tire, what kind of results did you expect? Suspension travel has as much to do with the loads (potholes, etc) being induced, as it does with the loads being carried. Suspensions can reach maximum travel with no passengers.....

How is this Evoluzione's fault? And what should they do about it? You took a chance and made a change to your bike. It didn't work out as well as you'd have liked. Fix it and move on.

FWIW, I had the same plate relocater on my Spyder. I wasn't comfortable with the clearance to the tire, so I bent the plate up to increase the clearance. I also bent the bottom edge up a bit, so that the tire wouldn't grab the edge, and pull it around, if it did make contact. It worked great, with no issues.

In looking at your pictures, it looks like you could repair the splash pan with a plastic repair kit, and a metal repair doubler located on the inner side of the pan. The plate Evoluzione relocator could still be utilized if you make minor bends to adjust the angle of the license plate.....

Like I told the other guy. I am more upset about the way the company is handling it. From what I have found, it is a known issue and the company should do something about it.

Dragracer
10-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Just for discussion, please point us to the threads describing this "known issue".

Thanks in advance.

5PYD3R
10-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Just for discussion, please point us to the threads describing this "known issue".

Thanks in advance.

Gotta track it down. One of the posts was on another forum that I found though. He had a whole conversation going on about it and told people that it will happen. But I was really wanting to clean it up and get rid of the fender so I did it anyway. My new mount is the cheapest and easiest thing to do. I bolted it to the splash guard under the tail section. Looks great and solves all issues!

5PYD3R
10-30-2011, 06:29 PM

Schnauzer
10-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Does Michigan require the plate to bbe luminated for night driving. If so, you did a really good job of hiding the light.

5PYD3R
10-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Does Michigan require the plate to bbe luminated for night driving. If so, you did a really good job of hiding the light.

I thought all states required a light. It does not have a light yet. Looking at doing LED strips from Auto Zone or a lighted license plate frame.

5PYD3R
10-30-2011, 07:33 PM
and now you want him to do something for you?....... I don't think he can save you from yourself :doorag:

:popcorn:

Do you really have nothing better to do than to start issues on a forum? All I wanted was some customer service. Not to be COMPLETELY blown off and ignored. Their product caused an issue and it should be taken care of.

arntufun
10-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Do you really have nothing better to do than to start issues on a forum? All I wanted was some customer service. Not to be COMPLETELY blown off and ignored. Their product caused an issue and it should be taken care of.

Like I told you already, hundreds of us have done this mod with no issues. Yes, mine was ripped off but it was my own fault because of my shock was not set right. I know you said yours is set all the way up, but I find it hard to believe you have it set correctly . If you keep this thread going with this, I will go to my garage and make a video showing you with the shock adjusted you cant bottom it out to rip the plate off even jumping up and down on it.

You said yourself you were in contact with them and here is your own words...... "I told them many times if they made it right, I would not post anything bad about them and everything would be fine. George from the company told me "that the owner does not care to help me because in his mind, he will get bad mouthed anyway and it is not worth it to him."

Please do not say they blew you off because in your own words you talked to them many times . I would have cut off contact with you as well after your banter. I'm sure your a nice guy that is just trying to vent because of what happened.

The evo sway bar is one of the best mods you can do to your Spyder (which I want), and the 02 mod is a God sent with us that have aftermarket exhausts. Your bashing one of thier products that is not even damaged. Your Spyder is damaged not thier product. Case Closed !!!

5PYD3R
10-30-2011, 08:44 PM
Like I told you already, hundreds of us have done this mod with no issues. Yes, mine was ripped off but it was my own fault because of my shock was not set right. I know you said yours is set all the way up, but I find it hard to believe you have it set correctly . If you keep this thread going with this, I will go to my garage and make a video showing you with the shock adjusted you cant bottom it out to rip the plate off even jumping up and down on it.

You said yourself you were in contact with them and here is your own words...... "I told them many times if they made it right, I would not post anything bad about them and everything would be fine. George from the company told me "that the owner does not care to help me because in his mind, he will get bad mouthed anyway and it is not worth it to him."

Please do not say they blew you off because in your own words you talked to them many times . I would have cut off contact with you as well after your banter. I'm sure your a nice guy that is just trying to vent because of what happened.

The evo sway bar is one of the best mods you can do to your Spyder (which I want), and the 02 mod is a God sent with us that have aftermarket exhausts. Your bashing one of thier products that is not even damaged. Your Spyder is damaged not thier product. Case Closed !!!

Case is not closed! Go ahead and make a video. My shock is set correctly. I have ridden with two other local spyder riders and they have asked if I set it stiffer before I even did the mod and looked to make sure.

I talked to them many times, yes but every time I talked to George it was simply him saying call back in 30min for the owner. I would call back and he would tell me the same thing over and over and over. Their product is also damaged. I am not doubting that their other products are good by any means. I too would have liked to do the sway bar and maybe 02 mod but not with the way they are treating me. The other guy too responded and said the same thing that he was getting "empty promises." I really do think that it was a freak thing that happened to with the bumpy road I was riding on but the point is, is that it happened and it shouldnt have. You guys are missing the point I keep saying. If they would have helped solve this instead of just ignoring me, then everything would have been good. I would not have said a thing on here about it. I am merely just upset about the way they handled it. So your damn right I am going to say they blew me off because they did! If I got a call back from them tomorrow offering to make it right, I would get right on here and make it known that they did so. My whole working life I have dealt with customers and know that if you dont have happy customers then you dont have a business. Customer comes first. I am not asking for anything absurd, just a refund for the product. That is NOT too much to ask! If I was in his position, I would have done it no questions asked.

Dragracer
10-30-2011, 09:10 PM
I really do think that it was a freak thing that happened to with the bumpy road I was riding on but the point is, is that it happened and it shouldnt have.

No disrespect intended, but I believe I just figured out what happened. You were 2 up on a bumpy road, with a license plate mounted directly above the rear wheel. You hit a large bump. This combined with 2 people on the bike, and BAM! You state it was a "freaky thing that happened on a bumpy road". Do you REALLY believe this to be Evoluzione's fault??????:wrong:

5PYD3R
10-30-2011, 09:15 PM
No disrespect intended, but I believe I just figured out what happened. You were 2 up on a bumpy road, with a license plate mounted directly above the rear wheel. You hit a large bump. This combined with 2 people on the bike, and BAM! You state it was a "freaky thing that happened on a bumpy road". Do you REALLY believe this to be Evoluzione's fault??????:wrong:

Yes I do. Should not be produced and sold if its not safe to use. If people are saying they had to bend it the second time then OBVIOUSLY there is a design flaw.

BajaRon
10-30-2011, 09:20 PM
I'm really not trying to take sides here. Hard to do anyway since we only have one side of the story. Frankly, the first thing I think of when I see this install is great potential for tire to mod contact, but to each his own.

My point is simply that you're probably not going to get satisfaction by posting this way on this forum, unless you're satisfied with venting (and at times I can sympathize with that angle).

Even if everyone here agrees with you, which we already know isn't going to happen, it appears that your only real option is to move on as arntufun has done. (OH NO! I can't believe I just recommended someone follow in arntufun's footsteps!? What is this world coming to!? :yikes:)

I've got their sway bar and it is probably one of the best (must have in my opinion) mods I've done to my Spyder. I had no trouble with it and needed no additional customer support from Evoluzione, so obviously I can't speak to that issue.

It is too bad when anyone has a problem. Sounds like you've gotten all you're going to get from the vendor, you've given your side of the story here and other potential buyers have been warned. Now it may be time to move forward in a meaningful and effective way.

5PYD3R
10-30-2011, 09:26 PM
I did not share this experience to get attacked by other spyder riders and not to attack the company. Just warning others about the mod and the unfortunate customer experience. It was not like I was going 50 mph down a road filled of pot holes. I dont believe I should have to be careful with riding my spyder to use the mod. If its not going to have the same functionality as stock then it simply should not be made.

Sorry to bring it up and share only to be shot at. Just wanted to help other spyder lovers. I dealt with them blowing me off for I dont even know how long anymore and lived with the aggravation of that now I have to live with the aggravation of being attacked by my fellow spyder lovers, the one community that I thought would understand and support what I was sharing. I was not trying to be a jerk to the company and get more than what was owed to me.

5PYD3R
10-30-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm really not trying to take sides here. Hard to do anyway since we only have one side of the story. Frankly, the first thing I think of when I see this install is great potential for tire to mod contact, but to each his own.

My point is simply that you're probably not going to get satisfaction by posting this way on this forum, unless you're satisfied with venting (and at times I can sympathize with that angle).

Even if everyone here agrees with you, which we already know isn't going to happen, it appears that your only real option is to move on as arntufun has done. (OH NO! I can't believe I just recommended someone follow in arntufun's footsteps!? What is this world coming to!? :yikes:)

I've got their sway bar and it is probably one of the best (must have in my opinion) mods I've done to my Spyder. I had no trouble with it and needed no additional customer support from Evoluzione, so obviously I can't speak to that issue.

It is too bad when anyone has a problem. Sounds like you've gotten all you're going to get from the vendor, you've given your side of the story here and other potential buyers have been warned. Now it may be time to move forward in a meaningful and effective way.

:agree: guess I was just hoping for the great customer support/contact/help that you gave me when I ordered my filters, seal kits, and oil from you BajaRon...THANKS AGAIN!

SteveMac
10-30-2011, 09:38 PM
I did not share this experience to get attacked by other spyder riders and not to attack the company. Just warning others about the mod and the unfortunate customer experience. It was not like I was going 50 mph down a road filled of pot holes. I dont believe I should have to be careful with riding my spyder to use the mod. If its not going to have the same functionality as stock then it simply should not be made.

Sorry to bring it up and share only to be shot at. Just wanted to help other spyder lovers. I dealt with them blowing me off for I dont even know how long anymore and lived with the aggravation of that now I have to live with the aggravation of being attacked by my fellow spyder lovers, the one community that I thought would understand and support what I was sharing. I was not trying to be a jerk to the company and get more than what was owed to me.

You might be over reacting a bit bro. Just because folks don't agree 100% with you doesn't mean you are being attacked. If you are looking for a bunch of "yes" guys that will just agree then you aren't getting any satisfaction. I know it is frustrating when folks don't see your point of view fully, but it doesn't mean you are being attacked. If you reacted this way with the vendor, the maybe that is why you got no satisfaction there either?

Sorry for the damage to your Spyder.

5PYD3R
10-30-2011, 09:47 PM
You might be over reacting a bit bro. Just because folks don't agree 100% with you doesn't mean you are being attacked. If you are looking for a bunch of "yes" guys that will just agree then you aren't getting any satisfaction. I know it is frustrating when folks don't see your point of view fully, but it doesn't mean you are being attacked. If you reacted this way with the vendor, the maybe that is why you got no satisfaction there either?

Sorry for the damage to your Spyder.

I am not upset because everyone is not agreeing with me, dont expect everyone too. More so that the blame is being put on me when I have done nothing wrong. Again, was more posting this to warn people to be careful with the mod. Was not looking for a pity party by any means. ANYWAY....how about them LIONS! HAHA just trying to change the subject, wish I would not have vented and moved on. :banghead:

This place is really a great community and I plan on being here and learning from you all for a long time! I love my :spyder2:!!

SteveMac
10-30-2011, 09:51 PM
Cool.
Don't know bout the Lions, but the Cowboys are losing, so it is a good day! (one of my best buddies lives and breathes cowboys, so I enjoy his pain LOL)

5PYD3R
10-30-2011, 09:56 PM
Cool.
Don't know bout the Lions, but the Cowboys are losing, so it is a good day! (one of my best buddies lives and breathes cowboys, so I enjoy his pain LOL)

LOL! I dont know much about the lions either. Just knew they won. Probably going to open a whole other can o' beans here but..... Michigan Wolverines baby!

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Just so's you don't feel to bad. On my very first post I used all CAPITALS. and got royally flamed by a few.. I only did this because as a typist I totally su*k and it slows me down to have to watch what I'm typing. However I didn't take it personal and corrected my mis-take and learned and moved on..... now lets all sing KUM - BI - YA , and be done with this..............................Oh by the way I did write down all the names of those who flamed me :rolleyes: :agree: :yikes: :gaah: Mike :thumbup:

5PYD3R
10-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Just so's you don't feel to bad. On my very first post I used all CAPITALS. and got royally flamed by a few.. I only did this because as a typist I totally su*k and it slows me down to have to watch what I'm typing. However I didn't take it personal and corrected my mis-take and learned and moved on..... now lets all sing KUM - BI - YA , and be done with this..............................Oh by the way I did write down all the names of those who flamed me :rolleyes: :agree: :yikes: :gaah: Mike :thumbup:

Noted BlueKnight. Sorry for my ...."caps lock" :joke: I think I learned to go back to a lurker and maybe just ask, not tell. :thumbup:

pro10is
10-30-2011, 11:58 PM
Noted BlueKnight. Sorry for my ...."caps lock" :joke: I think I learned to go back to a lurker and maybe just ask, not tell. :thumbup:

Don't do that. You're entitled to your opinion. Not everyone is always going to agree with you and some may be very vocal about it. You held your position well. Many people would have backed down when confronted like that. I once got into a disagreement with the forum owner of a Kawasaki KLR650 board over an oil issue of all things. He tried to severely bully me using his position as the forum owner and he had legions of kiss butt followers who agreed with him right or wrong. I proved my case with the facts and he finally backed off. Internet forums can often be quite intense but if you think you are right stick to your guns, state the facts, and avoid emotions. People will respect you more for that. Fortunately this particular forum has an incredible owner and most people here are very friendly. Still, be prepared to be challenged at times buy try not to take it too personally. After all the back and forth discussions are healthy as long as people don't get over emotional and if they do the moderators will usually step in and calm things down.

Personally I mostly agree with you on this issue, the product should have at least come with a warning that damage could possibly occur. I also believe that customer service is very important and a company rep should have tried harder to come to terms with you if you were being reasonable. So you're not without support on this issue.

arntufun
10-31-2011, 07:31 AM

No, please do not do that. Like I said before I'm sure you are a good guy. Matter of fact I know it because you have good taste for the following reasons.......

1. Your Spyder is Yellow.
2. You removed that ugly looking rear fender.
3. You have the best pipe on your Spyder money can buy. (I wish I had that one, they sound sweet)

After I installed my HMF pipe on my Spyder, it was popping like crazy when I let off the gas. The 02 mod totally fixed it. So maybe I was to quick to defend them since I have never had an issue where I needed them for customer support which was your main complaint. I still do not agree with your position, but I understand your frustration.

If I can offer you one more piece of advice it would be to get the sport rack and backrest for your girlfriend. She will love you for it (if you know what I mean :thumbup:), and when your riding alone take the backrest off and install the plate for the sweet sporty look. It only takes less than 30 seconds to make the switch. It's expensive but worth every dime. It also catches most of the road spray since we removed our rear fenders.

When I first came on the forum I had a disagreement with a member here (Wyliec). I forget what it was even about now, but we went back and forth throwing lawn darts at one another trying to make our points known. Long story short, after meeting him and taking rides together I know now that he is a great guy. :thumbup:

Neez
10-31-2011, 08:52 AM
Spyd3r, since you have removed your fender anyway, a simple home fabricated bracket will hold your tag well clear of the tire. Lots of examples of people having done this on this site. My bracket is made of flatbar, the plate has illumination and I have tested that the tire does not contact even if the shock is set on the softest setting and the rear end forced all the way down. I think if a fellow is going to modify things, a bit of pre-checking will save a lot of grief. I think this is true even if you purchase aftermarket pieces. Just MHO. Good luck with the new setup.

SteveMac
10-31-2011, 08:59 AM
I agree with the two above. Don't stop posting here! I think one thing I forget is the emotional investment that an OP has in his or her post. For example here, the OP is already mad because his spyder is damaged, so while I didn't see personal attacks (Randy came close but pulled back. I am so proud of you. LOL) but to the OP it probably felt like an attack. Also I went back and read BlueKnights ALL CAPS post. While I didn't see him getting "royally flamed" it probably felt like it to him.

The Internet is a wonderful thing, but tough to read the intent of a poster sometimes.

This is a great board and we want to keep it that way.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Kum Bah Yah!!

Peace all.

5PYD3R
10-31-2011, 10:07 AM
Don't do that. You're entitled to your opinion. Not everyone is always going to agree with you and some may be very vocal about it. You held your position well. Many people would have backed down when confronted like that. I once got into a disagreement with the forum owner of a Kawasaki KLR650 board over an oil issue of all things. He tried to severely bully me using his position as the forum owner and he had legions of kiss butt followers who agreed with him right or wrong. I proved my case with the facts and he finally backed off. Internet forums can often be quite intense but if you think you are right stick to your guns, state the facts, and avoid emotions. People will respect you more for that. Fortunately this particular forum has an incredible owner and most people here are very friendly. Still, be prepared to be challenged at times buy try not to take it too personally. After all the back and forth discussions are healthy as long as people don't get over emotional and if they do the moderators will usually step in and calm things down.

Personally I mostly agree with you on this issue, the product should have at least come with a warning that damage could possibly occur. I also believe that customer service is very important and a company rep should have tried harder to come to terms with you if you were being reasonable. So you're not without support on this issue.

Thanks for the words of encouragement and for understanding where I am coming from.

SpydeeBite2
10-31-2011, 10:10 AM
In my experience if you make the company feel they are part of the SOLUTION rather than the PROBLEM you will be farther ahead in resolving the issue. Otherwise you are just:banghead:.

Bob Denman
10-31-2011, 10:19 AM
No dog in this hunt either... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_22_11.gif But I think that it was mentioned that riding two up and huntting a decent bump will upset all sorts of the best-laid plans of mice and men... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_106.gif The plate probably dipped downward as it flexxed and got grabbed by the tire... :gaah: I think that the bending of the lip of the plate would go a long way in prevent the tire from getting a decnt bite on it...
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, and I hope that getting things nailed back into place isn't too time-consuming or costly! :shocked: :thumbup:

5PYD3R
10-31-2011, 10:20 AM
No, please do not do that. Like I said before I'm sure you are a good guy. Matter of fact I know it because you have good taste for the following reasons.......

1. Your Spyder is Yellow.
2. You removed that ugly looking rear fender.
3. You have the best pipe on your Spyder money can buy. (I wish I had that one, they sound sweet)

After I installed my HMF pipe on my Spyder, it was popping like crazy when I let off the gas. The 02 mod totally fixed it. So maybe I was to quick to defend them since I have never had an issue where I needed them for customer support which was your main complaint. I still do not agree with your position, but I understand your frustration.

If I can offer you one more piece of advice it would be to get the sport rack and backrest for your girlfriend. She will love you for it (if you know what I mean :thumbup:), and when your riding alone take the backrest off and install the plate for the sweet sporty look. It only takes less than 30 seconds to make the switch. It's expensive but worth every dime. It also catches most of the road spray since we removed our rear fenders.

When I first came on the forum I had a disagreement with a member here (Wyliec). I forget what it was even about now, but we went back and forth throwing lawn darts at one another trying to make our points known. Long story short, after meeting him and taking rides together I know now that he is a great guy. :thumbup:

Thanks Randy? I love my yellow spyder even though I get ragged on for owning a spyder at my young age and a yellow one at that. But as you mentioned about getting rid of the fender and doing the TBR duals helped changed some minds around for sure.

I see that the 02 mod has helped many people with those issues. Fortunately with my exhaust and the Juice Box Pro, I have never had issues with popping on decel. As far as the backrest and sport rack goes it has been something that I was thinking about getting. Do you have to have the sport rack to use the backrest? Where did you pick yours up from? I have got a list of winter things to do to my spyder and might have to add that on there. Well, next spring/summer my buddy and I wanna ride to NY, if we end up doing it I will let ya know and maybe ride together? Then we can see that we are both good guys. My name is Jordan by the way.

Badasz
10-31-2011, 11:10 AM

Sorry about your loss time for an upgrade I seen a nice carbon fiber on e-bay

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Can-Am-Spyder-RS-100-Carbon-Fiber-Undertail-Undertray-/10/%21B%29-evZgBmk%7E$KGrHqUOKkUEwuNmK6JBMPy54LElw%7E%7E_12.J PG

Image not available

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Can-Am-Spyder-RS-100-Carbon-Fiber-Undertail-Undertray-/03/%21B%29-esMQ%21Wk%7E$%28KGrHqEOKj0EwOYbW1,eBMPy5sdHSQ%7E%7 E_14.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Can-Am-Spyder-RS-100-Carbon-Fiber-Undertail-Undertray-/10/%21B%29-evZgBmk%7E$KGrHqUOKkUEwuNmK6JBMPy54LElw%7E%7E_14.J PG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Can-Am-Spyder-RS-100-Carbon-Fiber-Undertail-Undertray-/00/$%28KGrHqYOKkIE5US3zW%29BBOjeB8vrfg%7E%7E_14.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Can-Am-Spyder-RS-100-Carbon-Fiber-Undertail-Undertray-/00/$%28KGrHqUOKjkE5geyTLm%29BOjeCMzlcQ%7E%7E_14.JPG

5PYD3R
10-31-2011, 11:57 AM
Sorry about your loss time for an upgrade I seen a nice carbon fiber on e-bay

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Can-Am-Spyder-RS-100-Carbon-Fiber-Undertail-Undertray-/10/%21B%29-evZgBmk%7E$KGrHqUOKkUEwuNmK6JBMPy54LElw%7E%7E_12.J PG

Image not available

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Can-Am-Spyder-RS-100-Carbon-Fiber-Undertail-Undertray-/03/%21B%29-esMQ%21Wk%7E$%28KGrHqEOKj0EwOYbW1,eBMPy5sdHSQ%7E%7 E_14.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Can-Am-Spyder-RS-100-Carbon-Fiber-Undertail-Undertray-/10/%21B%29-evZgBmk%7E$KGrHqUOKkUEwuNmK6JBMPy54LElw%7E%7E_14.J PG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Can-Am-Spyder-RS-100-Carbon-Fiber-Undertail-Undertray-/00/$%28KGrHqYOKkIE5US3zW%29BBOjeB8vrfg%7E%7E_14.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Can-Am-Spyder-RS-100-Carbon-Fiber-Undertail-Undertray-/00/$%28KGrHqUOKjkE5geyTLm%29BOjeCMzlcQ%7E%7E_14.JPG

Thanks for sharing, but to expensive for a piece you hardly see. Been keeping an eye on ebay for a stock replacement. If anyone comes across one please let me know.

arntufun
10-31-2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks Randy? I love my yellow spyder even though I get ragged on for owning a spyder at my young age and a yellow one at that. But as you mentioned about getting rid of the fender and doing the TBR duals helped changed some minds around for sure.

I see that the 02 mod has helped many people with those issues. Fortunately with my exhaust and the Juice Box Pro, I have never had issues with popping on decel. As far as the backrest and sport rack goes it has been something that I was thinking about getting. Do you have to have the sport rack to use the backrest? Where did you pick yours up from? I have got a list of winter things to do to my spyder and might have to add that on there. Well, next spring/summer my buddy and I wanna ride to NY, if we end up doing it I will let ya know and maybe ride together? Then we can see that we are both good guys. My name is Jordan by the way.

Jordan

Don't worry about getting ragged on for owning a Spyder. In some peoples mind only old farts should own a Spyder. Simpley not true. I'm in my late thirtys and still fully capable of two wheels, but this machine had my name written all over it and I just had to have one. I never drove my 1000 cc crotch rocket again. Not once, so I sold it and never once regreted doing so.

As far as the backrest goes, yes you have to have both. Ebay has the best deals on the complete package (best bet) or BRP directly (lots of $$$$). If you get real lucky you can find a pre owned one here in the for sale section. Mine originally came with my Spyder but it was silver and looked stupid with the silver. I found a preowned yellow one on this forum and sold my silver one.

Keep some $ set aside and be patient over the winter in looking. Look for the people that seem desperate for cash or have sold their Spyder already. Shoot them a lowball offer and hope to get lucky.:roflblack: :roflblack: Thats a joke. Always be fair with your offers.:thumbup: I paid $325.00 for everything preowned. If you wanted new, you will save a few hundred $ on ebay over BRP's catalog prices.

My take on windshields is well known on this forum. I run the Ultrasport one from BRP and would not be caught dead with any of the others. :doorag::doorag: Part # 219400077 on page 48 if you want your Spyder to look cool. :roflblack: I picked mine up preowned on this forum as well. :clap:

arntufun
10-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks for sharing, but to expensive for a piece you hardly see. Been keeping an eye on ebay for a stock replacement. If anyone comes across one please let me know.

100% agree with you on this subject. It like putting a gold plated exhaust underneath a chevy pickup truck. Whats the sense. ??? But you definitely should replace your busted one.

5PYD3R
10-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Jordan

Don't worry about getting ragged on for owning a Spyder. In some peoples mind only old farts should own a Spyder. Simpley not true. I'm in my late thirtys and still fully capable of two wheels, but this machine had my name written all over it and I just had to have one. I never drove my 1000 cc crotch rocket again. Not once, so I sold it and never once regreted doing so.

As far as the backrest goes, yes you have to have both. Ebay has the best deals on the complete package (best bet) or BRP directly (lots of $$$$). If you get real lucky you can find a pre owned one here in the for sale section. Mine originally came with my Spyder but it was silver and looked stupid with the silver. I found a preowned yellow one on this forum and sold my silver one.

Keep some $ set aside and be patient over the winter in looking. Look for the people that seem desperate for cash or have sold their Spyder already. Shoot them a lowball offer and hope to get lucky.:roflblack: :roflblack: Thats a joke. Always be fair with your offers.:thumbup: I paid $325.00 for everything preowned. If you wanted new, you will save a few hundred $ on ebay over BRP's catalog prices.

My take on windshields is well known on this forum. I run the Ultrasport one from BRP and would not be caught dead with any of the others. :doorag::doorag: Part # 219400077 on page 48 if you want your Spyder to look cool. :roflblack: I picked mine up preowned on this forum as well. :clap:

Yeah, I turn 24 in 10 days. Young buck! I pretty much tell everyone to get bent that gives me crap for it. When they hear my back story of why I have one then they understand. I was in a bad accident back in 2008 on a SV 650. Long story short, guy was not paying attention (talking on a cell phone) and did not see a car stopping in front of him. Didnt have enough time to stop and swerved into my lane taking me out and running my head over with the front and rear wheels of his SUV. Put me in the hospital for a week with 3 broken ribs, fractured and dislocated clavicle, blown shoulder that required surgery, and REALLY bad road rash that I will have for the rest of my life. Took me 3 weeks to walk again and after all that I swore I would never ride again, but made a promise I could not keep. I was intrigued by the spyder when I bought my SV and told my buddy "yeah, maybe when I am 60 I will buy one." Here I am at 23 when I bought my Spyder and I would have nothing else! Guess that wasn't really to short...oh well. HAHA

I have been looking on here to buy a pre owned setup but no luck yet. Glad I did not go buy on BRP's site, thanks! I will watch ebay too. I have thought about getting the ultra sport windshield for mine too, can you post a pic installed? For now I took the stock one and spray painted the inside of it black. Looks factory and SOOO much better!

arntufun
10-31-2011, 01:49 PM
Happy soon to be birthday. Sorry to hear of your accident and glad your on your feet and still breathing. :thumbup: Here is your pic.

5PYD3R
10-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Happy soon to be birthday. Sorry to hear of your accident and glad your on your feet and still breathing. :thumbup: Here is your pic.

Thanks! That looks amazing! Just might be putting that on the winter project list. Hey, it looks like you have the seat cover too? Apart from looking WAY better, any other advantages?

arntufun
10-31-2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks! That looks amazing! Just might be putting that on the winter project list. Hey, it looks like you have the seat cover too? Apart from looking WAY better, any other advantages?

It's all about the looks !!! :roflblack::roflblack: No other advantages. It looks awesome on there at least 1000x better than stock, and the best part about is.................... I got it on this forum preowned for less than half price. :clap::clap:

5PYD3R
10-31-2011, 02:13 PM
It's all about the looks !!! :roflblack::roflblack: No other advantages. It looks awesome on there at least 1000x better than stock, and the best part about is.................... I got it on this forum preowned for less than half price. :clap::clap:

Well your just getting all the good deals! Spyder looks great man!

Ga Blue Knight
10-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I turn 24 in 10 days. Young buck! I pretty much tell everyone to get bent that gives me crap for it. When they hear my back story of why I have one then they understand. I was in a bad accident back in 2008 on a SV 650. Long story short, guy was not paying attention (talking on a cell phone) and did not see a car stopping in front of him. Didnt have enough time to stop and swerved into my lane taking me out and running my head over with the front and rear wheels of his SUV. Put me in the hospital for a week with 3 broken ribs, fractured and dislocated clavicle, blown shoulder that required surgery, and REALLY bad road rash that I will have for the rest of my life. Took me 3 weeks to walk again and after all that I swore I would never ride again, but made a promise I could not keep. I was intrigued by the spyder when I bought my SV and told my buddy "yeah, maybe when I am 60 I will buy one." Here I am at 23 when I bought my Spyder and I would have nothing else! Guess that wasn't really to short...oh well. HAHA

I have been looking on here to buy a pre owned setup but no luck yet. Glad I did not go buy on BRP's site, thanks! I will watch ebay too. I have thought about getting the ultra sport windshield for mine too, can you post a pic installed? For now I took the stock one and spray painted the inside of it black. Looks factory and SOOO much better!

Hey don't feel bad about your age my son is 25 and has an 09 Red RS that he rides everyday winter and summer. When his friends rag him he points out that he's on a bike and they are most likely hanging out the windows of their cars! I have an 09 RS also and we both beat the pants out of a bunch of Harley riders in my Motorcycle Club at Deals Gap a few weeks ago.

arntufun
10-31-2011, 03:05 PM
I know that the under 40 and male age group on Spyders is very very slim. I can't even imagine the percentage of under 30 and male. We are out numbered big time. We are like guys in a fabric store, tough to find one. :roflblack::roflblack: That reminds me,

Holly dragged me to a quilt show a few weeks ago. It's a bunch of ladies that get together and show the blankets they made. I was one of two guys there with hundreds of ladies and was the youngest for sure. If I was 60 -70 years old and single................that would be the place to go. :roflblack::roflblack:

zrc
10-31-2011, 03:09 PM
Im early 30s and finally on a spyder, been angling for one since they came out. But now that my life has done a 180 in a year I picked one up and almost 1000 miles in 15 days.

Lets rock n roll!

5PYD3R
10-31-2011, 05:29 PM
Thats awesome! looks like our young age riders are better than we all though! So maybe I should start another thread, but what are all the young spyder riders doing for mods? Dont wanna offend anyone but I am pretty sure there wont be any 50yo + riders with a TBR dual exhaust, or am I wrong? Just wondering what the young whipper snappers are doing with there new fan dangled spyders LOL

ARtraveler
10-31-2011, 05:46 PM
Similar problem with license plate. Two spyders going down the road. Lead spyder hit a nice pothole. Licence plate bottomed out and was torn off.

2009 Spyder GS with all the standard stuff on it at that time.

Drivers fault for bottoming out.

Yazz
11-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Thats awesome! looks like our young age riders are better than we all though! So maybe I should start another thread, but what are all the young spyder riders doing for mods? Dont wanna offend anyone but I am pretty sure there wont be any 50yo + riders with a TBR dual exhaust, or am I wrong? Just wondering what the young whipper snappers are doing with there new fan dangled spyders LOL

No offense taken. And may I say you have excellent taste in pipes. :thumbup:

Raptor
11-01-2011, 03:48 PM
I know, man. Those pipes are great. I love them and sure would love putting them on, but my neighbors would hate me for sure! The Hindle is loud enough (yes, I still have this thing on!) and I dare not go any louder. I was going to put the stock can back on but it's so ugly I just can't bring myself to do it! :D The Hindle will eventually burn out and will have to come off, so we'll cross that bridge when it comes.

I've wanted to ditch this rear fender too for along time but I never did trust that Evo solution and I still don't. Besides, the rains are coming soon and the fender will serve its purpose in that regard, so I reckon it will stay on, at least until it cracks, which we all know it will! Some others have come up with some pretty innovative solutions to this rear fender issue that really turned out nice. There is always more than one way to skin a cat!

5PYD3R
11-01-2011, 03:55 PM
No offense taken. And may I say you have excellent taste in pipes. :thumbup:

Thanks Yazz!

I know, man. Those pipes are great. I love them and sure would love putting them on, but my neighbors would hate me for sure! The Hindle is loud enough (yes, I still have this thing on!) and I dare not go any louder. I was going to put the stock can back on but it's so ugly I just can't bring myself to do it! :D The Hindle will eventually burn out and will have to come off, so we'll cross that bridge when it comes.

I've wanted to ditch this rear fender too for along time but I never did trust that Evo solution and I still don't. Besides, the rains are coming soon and the fender will serve its purpose in that regard, so I reckon it will stay on, at least until it cracks, which we all know it will! Some others have come up with some pretty innovative solutions to this rear fender issue that really turned out nice. There is always more than one way to skin a cat!

Pshh, your neighbors will get over it! I thought mine was loud at first and there are actually times I would not mind it louder. As far as the license plate, mine is staying right where it is, under the tail section bolted to the plastic rain guard...LOOKS THE BEST! My brother gave me the idea after the evolizione failed. He used to do that on his cbr600rr. Hard to tell in the pic I posted on this thread, but with is bolted where it is, it is still very visible. I had 2-3 cops behind me for a while and not one issue (of course they were probably just intrigued by it and wondering if it was rear wheel drive!) HAHA!!

Raptor
11-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Pshh, your neighbors will get over it! I thought mine was loud at first and there are actually times I would not mind it louder. As far as the license plate, mine is staying right where it is, under the tail section bolted to the plastic rain guard...LOOKS THE BEST! My brother gave me the idea after the evolizione failed. He used to do that on his cbr600rr. Hard to tell in the pic I posted on this thread, but with is bolted where it is, it is still very visible. I had 2-3 cops behind me for a while and not one issue (of course they were probably just intrigued by it and wondering if it was rear wheel drive!) HAHA!!

Gotta say, youngin, that is pretty clever indeed. As long as law enforcement doesn't seem to have an issue with it, I'd say you're golden. HA! Youngin... Been wantin' to say that to someone other than my nephews for a while now! :roflblack: Now that I'm 50 I get to say ****e like that!!

SteveMac
11-01-2011, 05:16 PM

Heck dude
I have two bros on my RT!!!

5PYD3R
11-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Gotta say, youngin, that is pretty clever indeed. As long as law enforcement doesn't seem to have an issue with it, I'd say you're golden. HA! Youngin... Been wantin' to say that to someone other than my nephews for a while now! :roflblack: Now that I'm 50 I get to say ****e like that!!

The only thing I am going to do is put a light on it, maybe a lighted license plate frame. I know that it atleast needs to be lit up. Might not even do that until Mr. Krispy Kreme gives me a "fix it ticket" :roflblack:

Roadkill
11-01-2011, 07:03 PM
The only thing I am going to do is put a light on it, maybe a lighted license plate frame. I know that it atleast needs to be lit up. Might not even do that until Mr. Krispy Kreme gives me a "fix it ticket" :roflblack:

+I'd add it before they ticket you, and also to draw the eye to what you've done. It's a great idea.

Keep in mind, though, that that divot in the underbelly is there for a reason. You may scrape your plate and/or plate frame when you bottom out, so it's best to be as flat (or even better, curve-fit) as possible in your choice when lighting it.

Ride on.
Roadkill

5PYD3R
11-01-2011, 09:05 PM
+I'd add it before they ticket you, and also to draw the eye to what you've done. It's a great idea.

Keep in mind, though, that that divot in the underbelly is there for a reason. You may scrape your plate and/or plate frame when you bottom out, so it's best to be as flat (or even better, curve-fit) as possible in your choice when lighting it.

Ride on.
Roadkill

Yeah, I have thought about that. That is the only thing that is stopping me from doing a lighted plate. Probably just going to do an LED strip. Got an idea to try with the stuff from my local AutoZone. An LED strip will be just as flat as the plate itself.

NancysToy
11-02-2011, 07:20 AM
Yeah, I have thought about that. That is the only thing that is stopping me from doing a lighted plate. Probably just going to do an LED strip. Got an idea to try with the stuff from my local AutoZone. An LED strip will be just as flat as the plate itself.
When you do your plate lighting, keep in mind that the white light is not allowed to show to the rear directly (and you can't use any other color). With the plate angled, that is hard to achieve. (Technically, the plate is not allowed to be other than vertical, either.) I would consider the use of lighted license plate fasteners. These shine to the side, just onto the plate.

Bob Denman
11-02-2011, 07:33 AM
:agree: Good call Scotty! :thumbup: There's no need to ever make yourself into a target... :shocked:

Bob Denman
11-02-2011, 07:55 AM
[QUOTE=arntufun;386714]
Holly dragged me to a quilt show a few weeks ago. It's a bunch of ladies that get together and show the blankets they made.

You too???? :shocked:
Try to view it as a chance to gather up some major "Hubby" points... It's all about the dividends when you turn them in!! :2thumbs::yes:

5PYD3R
11-02-2011, 02:04 PM
When you do your plate lighting, keep in mind that the white light is not allowed to show to the rear directly (and you can't use any other color). With the plate angled, that is hard to achieve. (Technically, the plate is not allowed to be other than vertical, either.) I would consider the use of lighted license plate fasteners. These shine to the side, just onto the plate.

I had devised a way to use the strip that would only shine on the plate but the lighted bolt would probably be better. Anyone know of a clear cover I could put over the plate to keep debris from wearing down my plate?

arntufun
11-02-2011, 02:24 PM
I had devised a way to use the strip that would only shine on the plate but the lighted bolt would probably be better. Anyone know of a clear cover I could put over the plate to keep debris from wearing down my plate?

Check with your local laws Jordan. In NY you can not have anything covering the plate, even a clear cover is illegal here.

boborgera
11-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Check with your local laws Jordan. In NY you can not have anything covering the plate, even a clear cover is illegal here.

Same in NJ. But it even gos as far as car dealers had to change the size of the advertising frames they would put on customers plates. Can't cover any part of a license plate

5PYD3R
11-02-2011, 03:35 PM

Same in NJ. But it even gos as far as car dealers had to change the size of the advertising frames they would put on customers plates. Can't cover any part of a license plate

WHAT!? :shocked: Well thanks for the heads up, guess I will have to check and make sure. That might explain why I couldnt find one LOL

zrc
11-02-2011, 03:53 PM
The TricLED people have a TricPlate. Might be illegal, might not, I have no idea :)

But I'm crazy like a fox :p