PDA

View Full Version : LIMP MODE AFTER OIL CHANGE

blackw1d0w
10-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Changed the oil and filter at just over 2900 miles. When my husband started the engine, the bike went into limp mode. Retrieved the owners manual...Not much help, other than take it to the dealership. Used the oil that was specified in the owners manual. Did use an aftermarket filter. My husband is a mechanic, and certainly not a novice at changing oil and filters,etc . Long story short...Took the CanAM to the dealership. Have not picked the CanAm up yet, but have spoken /w the dealership. After a few questions, we were told that the warranty was voided because of the aftermarket filter. The bill is $324.00. Not to mention the costs incurred with a> 3 hr round trip to the dealership, and another > 3hr round trip to pick up the CanAm. Feel as if, maybe, some phone help might have sufficed.

The service department told us that he changed the plugs, but changing the filters fixed the problem. They also told us that they drove it for 29 miles and everything was fine after all this. Also, understand after reading your forum that after driving the CanAm the light will reset itself.

I understand that limp mode is an ongoing problem /w the CanAm, and am very aggravated with the decision of the dealership. They should be aware of this problem. I do know for a fact that lots of folks use this filter /w no problem. Any help out there ? Thanks

ThreeWheels
10-29-2011, 06:13 PM
The limp mode oil change thing seems common. Happened to me on my last oil change Revvin the engine seems to get rid of it. I just ride around the block and I'm good to go.

Lamonster
10-29-2011, 06:19 PM
:agree:
If you would have drove it down the road it would have cleared itself. Sorry your dealer is not being too honest with you as the filter was not the cause of the problem.:sour:

blackw1d0w
10-29-2011, 06:26 PM
If you would have drove it down the road it would have cleared itself. Sorry your dealer is not being too honest with you as the filter was not the cause of the problem.:sour:

So, do we have any recourse, or just go ahead and pay the exhorbitant bill?

NancysToy
10-29-2011, 06:30 PM
:agree: This is a known quirk. Running the engine at about 3,000 rpm for 15-20 seconds resets the warning. It was the test drive that cured it, not the filters.

arntufun
10-29-2011, 06:38 PM
Changed the oil and filter at just over 2900 miles. When my husband started the engine, the bike went into limp mode. Retrieved the owners manual...Not much help, other than take it to the dealership. Used the oil that was specified in the owners manual. Did use an aftermarket filter. My husband is a mechanic, and certainly not a novice at changing oil and filters,etc . Long story short...Took the CanAM to the dealership. Have not picked the CanAm up yet, but have spoken /w the dealership. After a few questions, we were told that the warranty was voided because of the aftermarket filter. The bill is $324.00. Not to mention the costs incurred with a> 3 hr round trip to the dealership, and another > 3hr round trip to pick up the CanAm. Feel as if, maybe, some phone help might have sufficed.

The service department told us that he changed the plugs, but changing the filters fixed the problem. They also told us that they drove it for 29 miles and everything was fine after all this. Also, understand after reading your forum that after driving the CanAm the light will reset itself.

I understand that limp mode is an ongoing problem /w the CanAm, and am very aggravated with the decision of the dealership. They should be aware of this problem. I do know for a fact that lots of folks use this filter /w no problem. Any help out there ? Thanks

How did you get the Spyder to the dealer ??? If you drove it there it would have cleared while you were driving it there. If you towed it there, lesson learned the hard way. My advice to you is, before you ever take it to the dealer come to this site first. nojoke

Blue Star
10-29-2011, 06:52 PM
How did you get the Spyder to the dealer ??? If you drove it there it would have cleared while you were driving it there. If you towed it there, lesson learned the hard way. My advice to you is, before you ever take it to the dealer come to this site first. nojoke

And get a new Dealership. They ripped you off.

blackw1d0w
10-29-2011, 07:03 PM
And get a new Dealership. They ripped you off.

We towed it on our trailer. Did drive it around the drive here at the house. We are new to the Spyder..just purchased it in August. Was not aware of this forum. Will use it from now on.And, oh yeah, they really ripped us off :yikes:

Blue Star
10-29-2011, 07:08 PM
We towed it on our trailer. Did drive it around the drive here at the house. We are new to the Spyder..just purchased it in August. Was not aware of this forum. Will use it from now on.And, oh yeah, they really ripped us off :yikes:

:welcome: to the Spyder world, and :congrats: on your spyder. It is such a shame that with how much these machines cost we also have to worry about the dealership ripping us off. Yet it will happen. I read about the Spyder for almost a year, and had a bad experience with my dealer. Just glad I found a great mechanic to fix mine, and one I can trust.

blackw1d0w
10-29-2011, 07:14 PM
:welcome: to the Spyder world, and :congrats: on your spyder. It is such a shame that with how much these machines cost we also have to worry about the dealership ripping us off. Yet it will happen. I read about the Spyder for almost a year, and had a bad experience with my dealer. Just glad I found a great mechanic to fix mine, and one I can trust.

It is a real shame that you do not know who you can trust anymore. Lesson learned, I guess. We do luv our Spyder :spyder2:, but more problems like this will cause it to belong to someone else.

arntufun
10-29-2011, 07:17 PM

:welcome: and congrats on your Spyder. I'm glad you found us here. If $300 + $ was the cost of you finding this site, it's well worth it. The people on this forum know more about the Spyder than most dealers do. And all of our knowledge is free to you. You will see for yourself, I'm sure of it. :thumbup:

wa3wheels
10-29-2011, 07:20 PM

Post Dealer name as to forewarn others about this.

BajaRon
10-29-2011, 07:24 PM
I would certainly give the dealer an earfull on this one. They are supposed to be the experts, and 'Customer Service' doesn't mean taking them for a ride financially. They should be well aware of this issue and have the correct solution.

You said the dealer 'Changed the plugs'? Did they mean the spark plugs? Or the drain plugs? Not sure why you would do either.

It may just be 'Carlo' time..... $324.00 for a non-existant issue with a well known fix and 6 hours round trip is not good.

M109Dreamer
10-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Another option that you could use. Other than posting your questions on here when your not at home is, get familiar with other Spyder riders in your local area, hopefully there are some so if for some reason you ever need help or advice they are close by that you could give them a call or have them post up a help question for ya. If you don't have one of the new fan dangaled smart phones.

BajaRon
10-30-2011, 06:51 AM
...After a few questions, we were told that the warranty was voided because of the aftermarket filter. The bill is $324.00....

Every time I read your post it aggrivates me again! (Ok, so I should quit reading it.... Right!?)

But this statement by the dealership is a bald faced lie! Using non-OEM oil or filters WILL NOT VOID the warranty! As long as the replacement parts meet or exceed BRP's requirements (and the filter you used does), the warranty remains intact and your dealer knows this. Have them show you where in the warranty they get this 'Voided' clause. And it isn't even a filter problem in the first place! Sheesh! :gaah:

This is unbelievable! You buy a brand new Spyder from these guys, at less than 3,000 miles you have a known, Oil Change induced Limp Mode issue that is easily resloved at home, yet they have you drive 90 minutes to their shop, change the spark plugs (without your approval or knowledge which baffles me completely - like you're going to fix a low oil pressure problem by changing spark plugs :dontknow:), then they lie to you saying the new filter you installed is bad and your warranty is voided. I can't find a single correct action or honest statement in this entire event!

Exactly what was bad about the oil filter? And how do they know? Even if the filter didn't pass any oil, the Spyder uses a by-pass system and will still lubricat the engine. The filter can be installed backwards, but that's not a bad filter, and even then you'll get oil pressure and lubrication, just no filtration.

Do they mean to tell you that your entire warranty is now null and void? That nothing which occurrs with your Spyder is now covered under warranty, ever?

This just gets worse and worse! I hope Carlo gets involved and can help you on this. Bad dealers can give a good product a very bad reputation in a hurry. I'm not taking away from the Oil Change-Limp Mode issue which BRP needs to fix. But this dealership has got to be something else.

Good luck with this and keep us informed.

Oldmanzues
10-30-2011, 09:26 AM
I think this dealership is like the thread on here about a "expert oil chage". "The first thing to do is find a good place for the kickstand". Later on, it was "check the oil in the sight glass."
OldmanZues

blackw1d0w
10-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Post Dealer name as to forewarn others about this.

Will post dealer name after we pick up our RT :spyder2:

blackw1d0w
10-30-2011, 10:12 AM
I would certainly give the dealer an earfull on this one. They are supposed to be the experts, and 'Customer Service' doesn't mean taking them for a ride financially. They should be well aware of this issue and have the correct solution.

You said the dealer 'Changed the plugs'? Did they mean the spark plugs? Or the drain plugs? Not sure why you would do either.

It may just be 'Carlo' time..... $324.00 for a non-existant issue with a well known fix and 6 hours round trip is not good.

I have emailed Carlo.....Sure hope he will help us out.....:spyder2:

blackw1d0w
10-30-2011, 10:19 AM
Every time I read your post it aggrivates me again! (Ok, so I should quit reading it.... Right!?)

But this statement by the dealership is a bald faced lie! Using non-OEM oil or filters WILL NOT VOID the warranty! As long as the replacement parts meet or exceed BRP's requirements (and the filter you used does), the warranty remains intact and your dealer knows this. Have them show you where in the warranty they get this 'Voided' clause. And it isn't even a filter problem in the first place! Sheesh! :gaah:

This is unbelievable! You buy a brand new Spyder from these guys, at less than 3,000 miles you have a known, Oil Change induced Limp Mode issue that is easily resloved at home, yet they have you drive 90 minutes to their shop, change the spark plugs (without your approval or knowledge which baffles me completely - like you're going to fix a low oil pressure problem by changing spark plugs :dontknow:), then they lie to you saying the new filter you installed is bad and your warranty is voided. I can't find a single correct action or honest statement in this entire event!

Exactly what was bad about the oil filter? And how do they know? Even if the filter didn't pass any oil, the Spyder uses a by-pass system and will still lubricat the engine. The filter can be installed backwards, but that's not a bad filter, and even then you'll get oil pressure and lubrication, just no filtration.

Do they mean to tell you that your entire warranty is now null and void? That nothing which occurrs with your Spyder is now covered under warranty, ever?

This just gets worse and worse! I hope Carlo gets involved and can help you on this. Bad dealers can give a good product a very bad reputation in a hurry. I'm not taking away from the Oil Change-Limp Mode issue which BRP needs to fix. But this dealership has got to be something else.

Good luck with this and keep us informed.

Let me clear up one thing. This was not a brand new spyder. It is a 2010 RT that had 1199 miles on it when purchased, with remaining warranty..(For all the good that did) Not sure about voiding the entire warranty--but I do not think so. Will find out about that when we pick it up.

All the above information is so helpful. It gives us more info to help us plead our case. Thanks:spyder2:

blackw1d0w
10-30-2011, 10:21 AM
I absolutely cringe when I hear/read stories like this.

BRP is trying to sell a pricey and complicated vehicle in tough economic times.
In far too many cases a small number of bad dealers in their dealer network work to the contrary.

Post the dealer's name and find a new one.

Will glady post the dealer's name after we pick up our Spyder....:spyder2:

Allensr
10-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Does anyone know why the Sprder does this? Will there be a design change to fix this? We started our Spydre yesterday and got a eng problem notice. It was 59f outside and the coldest day yet. The eng did not respond to the throttle well and I shut it down and restarted it and it cleared. Are there other issues like these new owners can be made aware of, as well as the home remedy fixes.

Dudley
10-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Having been a member of this forum for 3 years, I have heard of many scary dealer ripoffs, but this one probably takes the cake. I think that the dealer has totally ripped you off...I question him doing anything he said he did. He knew that all he had to do was open the throttle for about 20 seconds and it would cure the issue and he would make some free dollars. Did you tell him you had an after market filter?

Too many times new Spyder owners freak out with a Spyder hick-up and take it right to the dealer. This forum has helped me tremendously and I am far from being mechanically inclined. I have asked for and gotten valuable information that has kept me out of the shop many times.

Dudley
10-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Does anyone know why the Sprder does this? Will there be a design change to fix this? We started our Spydre yesterday and got a eng problem notice. It was 59f outside and the coldest day yet. The eng did not respond to the throttle well and I shut it down and restarted it and it cleared. Are there other issues like these new owners can be made aware of, as well as the home remedy fixes.

I am beginning to have a similar issue. I think it is the Throttle Position Sensor or the Throttle Body. So far, all I have to do is turn it off and on rapidly 4 or 5 times and try to start it again. I repeat this, usually a couple of times until it starts out of limp mode. The shop has a TPS on order. I ride.

fispyder
10-30-2011, 02:56 PM
I did the same thing change oil and used a differant filter When I started it went into limp mod Took it to the dealer. The dealer just started it up ran it about3000 rpms for 15seconds cleared right up. No charge said it was covered under warrenty they had gotten a notice about the problem when changing the oil. Also my dealer said as long as I use oil and filters that meets what BRP recommends that the warrenty is good. Sorry to hear you have a dealer that rips people off. I would have been raising H_ _ _ .

Dudley
10-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Last time I changed the oil, I put all 4 quarts before I started the engine. The limp mode did not happen. The tank takes all the oil, just down from overflow.

BajaRon
10-30-2011, 03:52 PM
I did the same thing change oil and used a differant filter When I started it went into limp mod Took it to the dealer. The dealer just started it up ran it about3000 rpms for 15seconds cleared right up. No charge said it was covered under warrenty they had gotten a notice about the problem when changing the oil. Also my dealer said as long as I use oil and filters that meets what BRP recommends that the warrenty is good. Sorry to hear you have a dealer that rips people off. I would have been raising H_ _ _ .

Ok, here is a perfect example of a good, honest dealer. My guess is the only difference between your dealer and the one blackw1d0w is having issues with is integrity. It is vertually certain that her dealer has the same notice from BRP and just chooses to rip of what they feel is a unsuspecting customer.

Free service, no bull about a voided warranty or aftermarket oil and filters, honest, accurate information about the problem, service with a smile and one happy customer that can recommed the Spyder and the dealership to someone else. What is so hard about this?

Some dealers are Spyder Helpers, giving good, honest service and customer care. Other dealers are Spyder Webs, catching customers and sucking the life blood out of them!

BajaRon
10-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Last time I changed the oil, I put all 4 quarts before I started the engine. The limp mode did not happen. The tank takes all the oil, just down from overflow.

Every time you change oil you're going to get zero or very low oil pressure for a few seconds while the system fills with oil again. Of course you want to get as much of the old oil out as you can so draining a hot engine until nothing comes out of either drain plug is a good idea.

The better job you do draining the old oil, the more likely you may be to get the Limp Mode issue.

There is a timed circuit in the electronics to sense Low or Zero oil pressure. If you fall below this threshold for too long it times out and you get the 'Limp Mode' light. The higher the RPM the quicker you'll get pressure, but you don't really want to rev the engine with zero pressure either.

Sounds like reving the engine after going into Limp Mode simply resets the Zero Pressure circuit. The only thing that would fix this is extending the time allowed for low oil pressure before triggering the code. Maybe BRP can do this with a BUDS update. Giving the system a few more seconds on start-up only might be a good idea. Then if you had a real issue with pressure at speed you'd still have some protection while eliminating the Oil Change/Limp Mode issue that exists now.

BajaRon
10-31-2011, 05:18 PM
Well, just curious, how did things go today? Hoping for good news.

blackw1d0w
10-31-2011, 08:20 PM
Well, just curious, how did things go today? Hoping for good news.

It is NOT good news. I am so frustrated tonight that I have simply been unable to respond to this forum. Maybe by tomorrow, I can compose myself. I feel that we have been treated so unfairly that I am having trouble comprehending it all. :spyder2:

arntufun
10-31-2011, 08:38 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

BajaRon
10-31-2011, 08:54 PM
It is NOT good news. I am so frustrated tonight that I have simply been unable to respond to this forum. Maybe by tomorrow, I can compose myself. I feel that we have been treated so unfairly that I am having trouble comprehending it all. :spyder2:

No rush, our need to know is not all that important. Take it easy and get back when you can.

Desert Spyder
11-01-2011, 07:38 AM

Yeah! He's a real Pirate! LOL

Desert Spyder
11-01-2011, 07:55 AM

Is the reason for not picking up the Spyder yet the bill? With all this info that I just learned, and I have owned 2 Spyders in the last 3 years, this info really needs to get out.

BRP needs to jump on the dealer and make them swallow the bill and then deliver the bike back to the customer ... with a gift certificate on the side.

Are there any other dealerships in your area?

blackw1d0w
11-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Is the reason for not picking up the Spyder yet the bill? With all this info that I just learned, and I have owned 2 Spyders in the last 3 years, this info really needs to get out.

BRP needs to jump on the dealer and make them swallow the bill and then deliver the bike back to the customer ... with a gift certificate on the side.

Are there any other dealerships in your area?

No, we just heard from them on Friday that they had fixed the problem. We picked up the Spyder yesterday. AND paid the bill. I had copies of this problem from the forum printed out. I had emailed Carlo. The service tech had decided that the aftermarket filter was the problem, EVEN AFTER "oil pressure check was within specs", so we were billed for 3 hours of labor and parts, and him riding our bike for 29.6 miles to be sure he had corrected the problem. The dealership had already decided before we arrived what the resolution to our concern was. Carlo called, and was really nice, but sided /w the dealer. So, we are giving this a lot of thought, and as much as we like the Spyder, may not own it much longer. This has been one of the worst problems we have ever encountered.

And to answer your second question, there is another dealer in TN...We live in NC, but TN actually might be a little closer, and hopefully the dealership is more customer oriented,.

Weave2u
11-01-2011, 04:24 PM
No, we just heard from them on Friday that they had fixed the problem. We picked up the Spyder yesterday. AND paid the bill. I had copies of this problem from the forum printed out. I had emailed Carlo. The service tech had decided that the aftermarket filter was the problem, EVEN AFTER "oil pressure check was within specs", so we were billed for 3 hours of labor and parts, and him riding our bike for 29.6 miles to be sure he had corrected the problem. The dealership had already decided before we arrived what the resolution to our concern was. Carlo called, and was really nice, but sided /w the dealer. So, we are giving this a lot of thought, and as much as we like the Spyder, may not own it much longer. This has been one of the worst problems we have ever encountered.

And to answer your second question, there is another dealer in TN...We live in NC, but TN actually might be a little closer, and hopefully the dealership is more customer oriented,.

I think you could wind up with this problem with ANY vehicle, not just the Spyder, so giving up on it because of a dishonest dealer doesn't really make sense. I hope you decide to stick it out. I am disturbed that BRP, via Carlo, would side with a bad dealer, that bothers me more than the bad dealer. I too hope you'll post the dealerships name along with the names of the employees involved... give due warning to everyone shopping for a Spyder and current owners in your area as well!!

SpydeeBite2
11-01-2011, 04:53 PM
At this point I would not believe anything the dealer told me until I could verify it to be true either from BRP themselves or from a consensus of this forum.

wyliec
11-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Did Carlo say that your warranty was voided like the dealer said?

Also, did Carlo say that you cannot use aftermarket oil filters in general or specifically the one you used?

Although it looks like your dealer gouged you, Carlo has no control over the prices charged by a dealer, other than maybe the amount of time spent to do maintenance/repair work.

Sorry for all your trouble. I hope you get some satisfaction from BRP and/or the dealer.

blackw1d0w
11-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Did Carlo say that your warranty was voided like the dealer said?

Also, did Carlo say that you cannot use aftermarket oil filters in general or specifically the one you used?

Although it looks like your dealer gouged you, Carlo has no control over the prices charged by a dealer, other than maybe the amount of time spent to do maintenance/repair work.

Sorry for all your trouble. I hope you get some satisfaction from BRP and/or the dealer.

Ok, I am new to this forum, and I was incorrect in the way I worded the warranty work I guess. This particular visit was not covered under warranty because of the filter. I do have an existing warranty, I think until May 2012.....the vehicle had around 1199 (close) miles on it, when we purchased. I do not think I ever placed any blame on Carlo for anything.....prices the dealer charged,etc. Carlo said this filter was aftermarket and therefore we were responsible for the repairs. All he said was that the filter was aftermarket and therefore BRP would not cover the cost. I am not blaming Carlo. He did the best he could do. He is a very nice man, and I appreciate him going to the trouble to follow up on this problem for us. BRP has rules, and he followed them.

Yeah, the dealer gouged us, and we are done /w them, and they know it. They are not the only dealer in our area, and we will be going somewhere else.

BTW, love your yorkie...We also have one.

SpyderRyder2B
06-30-2013, 12:13 PM
:agree: This is a known quirk. Running the engine at about 3,000 rpm for 15-20 seconds resets the warning. It was the test drive that cured it, not the filters.

Once again thank you for your vast knowledge! You saved me and hubby a LOT of aggravation today. We, (okay he - I just stand and hand him things), had just changed the oil using BRP parts and got the Limp Mode. A quick google search and 30 seconds later - no limp mode!! Thank you!:yes: