PDA

View Full Version : First Trip with Our RT and a question

CATastrophe
10-20-2011, 04:27 PM
We couldn't have picked a better weekend for leaf-peeping in southeast TN. We got our spyder in mid-August and finally had a chance to spend a couple days on the road. We left Gray, TN on Saturday morning and headed to Tellico Plains. I wanted to drive the Cherohala. That was our only "must do" on our 4 day trip. Good thing, too. We only traveled a total of 450 miles. But every time we stopped, and I mean every time, we got waylaid by folks asking about the spyder. I'll bet we could've done at least another 100-200 miles if those conversations didn't go on for an hour. :roflblack:

We had folks stop at rest stops because we were stopped. They wanted to talk to us. That whole "rock star" thing is powerful on a spyder!

We were initially planning on driving the Cherohala on Sunday. But we got waylaid twice for considerable amounts of time. At one of the stops on 68 in Coker Creek, an artisan told us about Coker Creek Falls. He said since we had three wheels, we should be able to go see them. They aren't well publicized he said.

According to Outdoor Chattanooga "At Ducktown take TN68 north toward Tellico Plains. You will cross the Hiwassee River on SR68 and cross into Monroe County. Just past a bridge over Coker Creek (unmarked), turn left onto Bailey Road (unmarked). This road takes you steeply uphill to FS22 (Ducket Ridge Road) where you will turn left. Shortly thereafter the pavement ends. In about 3 miles you will see a sign on the left for Coker Creek Falls. FS2138 turns left and goes steeply downhill for one mile to trailhead parking lot." And they aren't kidding!

I was driving, hubby was passenger. On the gravel I used first gear. There were ruts, rocks sticking up a couple inches, twists and lots of gravel. On the steepest part the engine further slowed, kind of like a jake brake on a truck. I had been intermittently using the brakes, too. I presume this slowing was normal and part of the safety features of the spyder. It was most welcome and made the steep descent much easier.

So my question is, this engine governing or slowing is normal, right? Could anyone shed some light on this a bit more for us?

That little side trip to Coker Creek Falls delayed our Cherohala ride until Monday because it took up a good two hours. nojoke Here's a short vid of the base of the falls area. It doesn't do the access road steepness justice. :yikes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIsoFdc9m5s

We finally made it to the Cherohala on Monday, spent the night in Cherokee, did some BRP Tuesday then headed home before the nasty cold rain set in.

We are thoroughly impressed with the spyder. It was flawless the whole trip and a pleasure to drive or be passenger.

I'd also like to know how you all keep to a schedule or an itinerary when out on this thing? :roflblack:

CyncySpyder
10-20-2011, 04:44 PM
It takes a little to get used to, that's for sure:thumbup:

Teddy & I are ALMOST ALWAYS LATE, there's even "Teddy Time" & it always runs about an hour over.

The engine "brake" is all part of the "Nanny's" systems & is normal & lifesaving (albeit a pain sometimes)

Glad you had a GREAT trip, thanks for sharing, Welcome, & look forward to reading about more of your SpYder adventures. Teddy said...... Lick lick :D

Dave & Teddy ~