PDA

View Full Version : Battery Maintainer

cougar
10-20-2011, 10:04 AM
What are you using and why? I want a really good one and will spend a little extra for quality and features. Thanks.

cougar

SpyderFun
10-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Maintaining a good battery life is usually as simple as keeping it plugged to a charger during long periods of non-use. Also, with the Spyder it has a magneto which means it is most efficient when operated at hi-rpms versus an alternator which is efficient regardless of rpm. Good riding technique can also help (ie maintain rpms above 4k). See this Thread: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?31201-Battery-on-2011-RT-won-t-hold-a-charge&p=359084#post359084

Whatever you choose make sure it has an auto-off function when charge is complete and has a trickle charge (low amp) cycle. You should be able to use a cigarette plug type to charge using your 12vdc outlet in the rear trunk (RT model).

ARtraveler
10-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Battery Tender is that brand that I have used for years on all of my bikes. They do the job, and cost less than $30.00.

Battery is always kept at charge. When spring comes--my bikes usually start on the first try--even though they have been sleeping for about 5 months.

Bob Denman
10-20-2011, 01:20 PM
:agree: BatteryTender makes good stuff... :thumbup:

NancysToy
10-20-2011, 01:42 PM
I generally use either an Accumate or an Optimate. On smaller batteries I use the Battery Tender Jr. The Battery Tender and the Xtreme are both good brands, too. Part of it depends on what you want the battery charger/maintainer to do. The Battery Tenders are pretty straight forward, but do a good job. The Accumate 612 is handy for me because it has switchable voltage, and I can use it on my antiques. The Optimate has a charging pattern that seems to help prevent sulfation, in my experience. The Xtreme utilizes pulse charging technology that can actually rehabilitate a partially sulphated battery.

cougar
10-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Scotty,

The new version of the Optimate 4 works with the can-bus system. Any advantage there?

Cougar

Marker
10-20-2011, 04:48 PM
I use a Battery Tender 800 Waterproof. No worries about water or dampness affecting your charger.:thumbup:

NancysToy
10-20-2011, 05:24 PM
Scotty,

The new version of the Optimate 4 works with the can-bus system. Any advantage there?

Cougar
I'm not familar with its capabilities. I have never had to worry about the CANbus on the Spyder or my 2000 BMW. No problems charging them with the ignition off. I guess some systems, including the newer Beemers, are more sensitive, though. The BMW batteries are also prone to swelling or exploding with the wrong charger. That is how I ended up with my first Accumate. Getting a charger specified for use with AGM batteries is important for use on the Spyder. If you have gel-cell on anything, they need a specific charger, too.

Mr. White
10-21-2011, 10:05 AM
I have several battery tenders/maintainers. Battery Tenders and Wal-Mart tenders made by Schumacher. I plug in the vehicles I don't use a lot (tractor, riding mower, 4X4, RV, etc) 24/7. For BR1, I have a cigarette plug to plug in the trunk...works great. He is sitting out in the barn, plugged in, ready for tomorrow's ride to breakfast.

Oh, gee, I hear him now saying "lets leave early"....okay, I will go and run him 100 miles or so because he does not know it is not Saturday....ha ha.

:spyder2:

cougar
10-21-2011, 10:56 AM
He is sitting out in the barn, plugged in, ready for tomorrow's ride to breakfast.

Oh, gee, I hear him now saying "lets leave early"....okay, I will go and run him 100 miles or so because he does not know it is not Saturday....ha ha.

:spyder2:

What does Spydey eat for breakfast? Biscuits and gravy doused with tobasco?

boborgera
10-21-2011, 02:36 PM

Twenty Dollar bills.:roflblack:

Mr. White
10-21-2011, 03:37 PM

BR1 has two bacon egg tacos w/red sauce, coffee and Wal-Mart regular gas w/10% corn juice. He tried the green sauce once and I had to take him to the dealer to get his plugs cleaned.

I have two beef enchiladas, (with Mague's special sauce), refried beans, lettuce tomato salad (small, w/olive oil) tortellas and coffee.

Twenty dollars is a cheap trip....