PDA

View Full Version : WANT TO PLAY IT SAFE

muskrat
10-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Looking for some input, what is aceptable payment ,thru Craigslist , We or should I say I have listed our 09 spyder on craigslist, (the wife surprised me with a black 2011 RTS for my birthday) and I surprised her by telling her today I listed our 09 spyder all by myself on local craigslist. I also have it listed here on Spyderlovers. I have never shopped sold etc. anything on line before today. There is a party interested in purchasing our bike with paypal. they are purchasing it as agift and have a "agent" that would handle transaction as the interested buyer works mainly on a ship offshore. I have no experience in such matters but have come to apreciate the knowledge and concern the regular posters here on spyderlovers have for one another and the spyderlovers comunity. I may be suspicous for no good reason but im getting a vibe that im unsure about. looking for some feedback, thanks

DynamoBT
10-12-2011, 04:22 PM
If it feels like a SCAM it probably is a SCAM. This deal with the "agent" would put me off right away.

I bought my Spyder off Craigslist. I paid with a bank issued Certified check. That's what you can insist on. A person doesn't even need an account at a bank to get a Certified check AFAIK. I Do believe that if you have the cash on hand, the bank will cut the check for you. Cash on the barrel or a Bank check. Accept no less.

PayPal??? Do you even have a PayPal account?? PayPal fine for small transaction. Not buying a vehicle IMO!!

If they are on the up and up, they will come through with the form of payment you insist upon. If they can't, you didn't want to do business with them anyway!!!!

muskrat
10-12-2011, 04:36 PM
If it feels like a SCAM it probably is a SCAM. This deal with the "agent" would put me off right away.

I bought my Spyder off Craigslist. I paid with a bank issued Certified check. That's what you can insist on. A person doesn't even need an account at a bank to get a Certified check AFAIK. I Do believe that if you have the cash on hand, the bank will cut the check for you. Cash on the barrel or a Bank check. Accept no less.

PayPal??? Do you even have a PayPal account?? PayPal fine for small transaction. Not buying a vehicle IMO!!

If they are on the up and up, they will come through with the form of payment you insist upon. If they can't, you didn't want to do business with them anyway!!!! Thanks for the input, the better half has bought with paypal but never sold. She has the brains in the family and I have the Braun so to say, Im just trying to get my ducks in arow before she arives home and finds out how much Ive acomplished on my rainy day off ! IM liking the idea of a bank issued check or my favorite ...CASH !

Blue Star
10-12-2011, 06:39 PM

If they are on the up and up, they will come through with the form of payment you insist upon. If they can't, you didn't want to do business with them anyway!!!!

I agree it is fishy, and the fees for Paypal will be high. Sold something once and used PayPal for $4.26, and the fees was 56 cents. Can't imagine the fees on the price of a spyder. When I first read this I said scam too. If the "agent" is real have him wire your bank the money, and then he/she can pick it up anyway the agent wants to.

ARtraveler
10-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Beware of craigslist. There are so many scammers that are just waiting to take your money. Buyer should be able to pick up and pay cash in the manner that you request.

Agents, people working offshore, ship the Spyder and they pay, are all red flags.

I tried to sell a simple guitar on craigslist and couldn't believe all the weird offers I got. I cancelled my ad after 1 day.

Bob Denman
10-13-2011, 06:35 AM
Whatever you do; don't do what I did... get the cash up front! :opps:
I got screwed on what should have been a very simple transaction in here with one of our very own... :gaah:

SteveMac
10-13-2011, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the input, the better half has bought with paypal but never sold. She has the brains in the family and I have the Braun so to say, Im just trying to get my ducks in arow before she arives home and finds out how much Ive acomplished on my rainy day off ! IM liking the idea of a bank issued check or my favorite ...CASH !

Keep in mind that there are a lot of fraudulent cashiers checks floating around. Your bank will likely put a hold on a large cashiers check if you deposit it unless they can verify it beyond doubt. If they are suspicious of fraud, they may even do what is called "sending for collection" which has a fee associated and can take as long as two weeks. The good news however,, if it is drawn on a bank that is in your area, you could present it at the counter of that bank for cash. Say, BofA for example.

Personally, I like getting a wire transfer. Those funds are good as soon as it hits your account.

It is a bad world with a lot of people who want to rip you off. Just be wary.

muskrat
10-13-2011, 05:44 PM
:shocked: Yesterday the intersted party was all systems GO as long as I could acept paypal , when I got inquisitive went as far as offering an extra 100 dollars to hold the deal, today they have disapeared ! Thanks for everyones input. A lesson learned.