PDA

View Full Version : Group Rides & Liabilities

MarkLawson
10-10-2011, 09:17 AM
In the state of Georgia, what are any group ride liabilities we might incur if involved in an accident or violation of traffic laws?

Seems like I was reading recently, possibly in Motorcycle Consumer News, that each member of a group ride could be held liable for any problems a member of that ride could cause. I'm not saying this as a fact, just a nagging recollection of something I've read.

Anyone know how the law works?

ARtraveler
10-10-2011, 10:52 AM
That is a sticky situation. We never had an accident or incident in 10 years of riding--but it was always at the back of my mind.

The group I used to ride with, had everyone sign a disclaimer each year, holding the club harmless for accidents, injuries, etc. Laws will of course vary from state to state. There must be a lawyer on the site from your state. Maybe they can help with your particular situation.

TuckMiddle
10-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Gees, it's almost tomorrow, how time flies.

HOGS sign a yearly thing and every sponsored ride has a Road Capt who has a roster with names, emergency #s and if you're a guest, a hold harmless.

Two years ago, a bunch of Harleys were riding down GA 140, and passed Little Refuge Road, the narrow country road leading to the North entrance to Lake Arrowhead. Two cars were stopped, waiting for the bikes to go, before entering 140. Some idiot young driver, came screaming around the corner, which is downhill too, and I don't think she ever applied her brakes. She hit the nearest of the two cars, pushed them out into the bikes still going by and killed two.
Every day, I see the little cross mounted on the uphill bank right across from the stop sign. Moral: stuff happens and this was sure close to home - couple miles. So, good question. Anyone know one of these Bike Lawyers that advertise in all the motorcycle magazines? I'm sure any one of them would be happy to talk to us and pass out beer coozies and T shirts. ;) As a matter of fact, one passed out bags and stuff in Blairsville a couple weeks ago. Or was that at the HOG thing in Hiawassie? (sp)
Tuck

Yol Bolsun
10-11-2011, 09:58 AM
This might be a good topic for the General Discussion section. I realize you/we are looking for "Georgia" specifically but there might be some folks (maybe a legal beagle) that could comment if this had greater visibility.

Course, will be wide open to pot-shooters too.:dontknow:

ARtraveler
10-11-2011, 10:59 AM
I tried to attach a copy of the club disclaimer--but the system here would not let me attach the word document. If anyone is interested--for format etc., send me a PM with your e-mail--it should attach to that.

As mentioned, this one was written for AK--but has all the legal gobbledegook. Other states may vary a little bit. The document also provides for verification of motorcycle endorsement and insurance coverage on the bikes being ridden. Anyone not willing to show the information was not permitted to ride with the group.

It is unfortunate that we have to do so much CYA--but that is the way it is these days. A bad incident in a group ride is a nightmare that I hope does not happen. The sponsers or organizers do need to have some protection though.

Yol Bolsun
10-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Here are two forms, one from the Alaska Spyder Ryders MC (34521) and one from the Walton EMC Breast Cancer ride (34520) earlier this year.

While I suspect something like this may be a good idea, it is starting to take the fun out of group rides.