PDA

View Full Version : Adios, Spyder...Thanks For The Memories

NewRider
10-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Sorry to say...I've had to give up my Spyder. Rode it back to the credit union last Tuesday.:(

Problem wasn't finances. The problem was my diabetes, a souvenir of Vietnam. Numbness in my feet spread to the point I couldn't tell where my right foot was. Drivers/riders behind me saw my taillight on part of the time...even when I wasn't braking. And, couldn't tell how hard I was pressing down, when I needed to brake.:gaah:

So, to prevent injury to myself, or others...mostly others...I've hung up my helmet.:( Thanks for your interaction with me over the past two years, folks. I'm gonna miss being part of Spyder lovers...and you have no idea, unless you've been there, how much it hurts...

effgjamis
10-09-2011, 08:53 PM
You could have installed a hand brake... ISCI has them....maybe you can recall your spyder and install the hand brake..

However, I am sorry you decided to give up the ride, but safety first is paramount.

NancysToy
10-09-2011, 09:01 PM
I know how hard this is. I have had to take myself out of the game for medical reasons before. It takes a big man to do something that smart...I applaud you! Best of luck on down the road. You can still visit here, you know. SpyderLovers isn't just for current owners.

SpyderAnn01
10-09-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm sorry to hear you have to give up Spydering. Take care of your diabetes.

tobor9
10-09-2011, 09:33 PM
NewRider,I've not felt my feet for over 20yrs and understand how difficult it is to operate a motor cycle or car but I can also tell you that you can learn to do so. Yes I sometimes have to check where my right foot is and maybe I'll get a hand brake,but now I just keep my foot braced next to the brake(I have seal floorboards)so I just lift and move left and down to stop. I am also diabetic on an insulin pump and have essential tremors in both hands but over time I've learned to cope and drive both my SpYder and my car. You'll find many members here with all kinds of medical problems who drive,some ten race their spyders,you can too. I hope you find ways to drive and feel safe,if I can help PM me or e-mail me at tobor9@me.com

ARtraveler
10-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Sorry to hear of your decision. A very hard call to make. Wishing you the best.

fastfraser
10-10-2011, 07:17 AM
My heart goes out to you . You have to do whats best for you . i know I would be devastated if I had to give up my Spyder .

grumpybob
10-10-2011, 12:12 PM
That Damn War took to many when it was going on and is still ruining good/great guys lives like yourself. Sorry to hear you can't ride safely now. Best to you and don't stop trying.

Thanks for your service!!

NewRider
10-10-2011, 07:14 PM
[QUOTE=effgjamis;380260]You could have installed a hand brake... ISCI has them....maybe you can recall your spyder and install the hand brake..

Isci's handbrake conversion is $1,250 dollars. That's more than I can afford at present. In addition, my closest Spyder dealer (25 miles away) has lost their BRP franchise. Thanks for the thought.

bruiser
10-10-2011, 07:32 PM
I can't begin to imagine how you feel. I do understand you wanting to leave SL. It'd be to hard to stay connected when you can't ryde. I do hope you can resume ryding at a later date. And from one VV to another, you'll know what I mean, Welcome Home Brother.