PDA

View Full Version : OMG!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO MY RT?

sealfloorboards
10-04-2011, 01:12 PM
While putting my RT away for the winter, I was attempting to disconnect the battery from under the seat. I took the nut of the Hot Post but the bike was still showing power when I turned the key. Thought the cable was still touching so I turned the key off and was moving the cable when POOHP! A spark at the post and a large cloud of Smoke from the the under the Right side. For a second, I could see a red glow thru a tupperware opening. One of the ground side cables melted. Any ideas of how badly I screwed up my baby?

John
SealFloorBoards

Bob Denman
10-04-2011, 01:16 PM
:yikes::yikes::yikes:
That can't be good John.
I think that you should take your baby to a dealer and let them peek up under her skirt to assess the damage...
I hope that if the key was off it didn't throw any of that carnage into the computers...
Please keep us posted and GOOD LUCK! :thumbup:

BajaRon
10-04-2011, 01:26 PM
While putting my RT away for the winter, I was attempting to disconnect the battery from under the seat. I took the nut of the Hot Post but the bike was still showing power when I turned the key. Thought the cable was still touching so I turned the key off and was moving the cable when POOHP! A spark at the post and a large cloud of Smoke from the the under the Right side. For a second, I could see a red glow thru a tupperware opening. One of the ground side cables melted. Any ideas of how badly I screwed up my baby?

John
SealFloorBoards

Sounds like your ground wire was touching the positive terminal of the battery. Not a great thing for the battery but other than probably destroying the ground wire, you're probably ok.

Put a charger on the battery and get it back up to 'full'. Then check voltage. If it is over 12v then you should be fine. If you want to be sure you can take it to most any autoparts (after fully charged) and they will check it for you.

I'd say you'll need to replace the ground wire and you'll need to look closely at anything the ground wire was touching. It may have melted other things as collateral damage.

Still, probably a pretty cheap fix.

I don't recommend disconnecting the battery. If you're going to leave it stored for a long time a good battery tender with an overcharge prevention circuit is a better way to go.

murphybrown
10-04-2011, 01:35 PM

John
SealFloorBoards

John OUCH:yikes:..great news you didn't get "zapped"...bad news your baby has taken up smokin'...not good for "it's" health. Now I know why I'm not ready to stop ryding....with my non existent mechanical skills I would probably end up with a puddle of plastic on the garage floor...
Keep us posted...
love those sealfloorboards of your creation.:thumbup:..one of the best mods I've added (after the cup holder of course :roflblack: lol)..

docdoru
10-04-2011, 01:38 PM
If you're going to leave it stored for a long time a good battery tender with an overcharge prevention circuit is a better way to go.
:agree: http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSC00855-1.jpg?t=1270906402http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSC00856.jpg?t=1270906448 :thumbup:

boborgera
10-04-2011, 01:55 PM

John
SealFloorBoards

Correct me if I'm wrong, But the way i read your post you left the Neg- Connected, and disconnected the Pos+ post and that's the cable that hit?? The neg- should always be disconnected first.

NancysToy
10-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, But the way i read your post you left the Neg- Connected, and disconnected the Pos+ post and that's the cable that hit?? The neg- should always be disconnected first.
:agree: Mechanics 101

SpyderDen
10-04-2011, 02:31 PM
You didn't by chance disconnect the "Jump Terminal" positive under the seat rather than going directly to the battery?

ARtraveler
10-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Scarry--keep us posted.

I did something similar when I was trying to install a radio in a car. Remember when radios were an option in cars?

Totally fried the radio. The pop/smoke routine is never good.

Bob Denman
10-04-2011, 02:38 PM
The pop/smoke routine is never good.
In my neighborhood it's usuallly followed by a quick song and dance in the garage... The song is usually a bit "Salty"; as in sailers wouldn't use that language in a bar or in jail...
...And the dance usually involves kicking anything that isn't currently moving quick enough to get out of the way while singing the aforementioned song at the top of your lungs...:gaah::gaah::gaah:

SpyderDog65
10-04-2011, 02:38 PM
I agree get a battery tender I have one on mine and my battery is always charged fully. It also allows me to leave my alarm on without fear if draining my batray

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

sealfloorboards
10-04-2011, 02:48 PM
You didn't by chance disconnect the "Jump Terminal" positive under the seat rather than going directly to the battery?

Yes I did.:banghead:

harleyRick
10-04-2011, 03:05 PM
I always unhook the ground 1st.

SpyderDen
10-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Hey Scotty, is that 40 amp master fuse (MF1) between the battery Pos terminal and the jump start post? I just looked at the schematic but can tell. If so, he may luck out.:dontknow:

NancysToy
10-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Hey Scotty, is that 40 amp master fuse (MF1) between the battery Pos terminal and the jump start post? I just looked at the schematic but can tell. If so, he may luck out.:dontknow:
The 60 amp RFB regulator/rectifier fuse protects the voltage regulator/rectifier and the jumper terminal. That is probably what smoked on the right side when he grounded the cable. The voltage regulator/rectifier could have been damaged before the fuse blew, however. This is a classic example of how much trouble you can get into when you undertake a repair or maintenance task without sufficient knowledge to do so. I'm not throwing rocks, but if anyone is not absolutely sure about what they are doing, they should get some advice or help...or pay the dealer to do the work.

sealfloorboards
10-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Thanks guys for all your feedback. I really didn't think I was doing brain surgery. I guess I learned a lesson today. Anyway, I'm leaving tomorrow for a vacation and am just going to let it sit till I return. I have said the Serenity Prayer a number of times today. It helps.

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

xpeschon
10-04-2011, 08:15 PM
The 60 amp RFB regulator/rectifier fuse protects the voltage regulator/rectifier and the jumper terminal. That is probably what smoked on the right side when he grounded the cable. The voltage regulator/rectifier could have been damaged before the fuse blew, however. This is a classic example of how much trouble you can get into when you undertake a repair or maintenance task without sufficient knowledge to do so. I'm not throwing rocks, but if anyone is not absolutely sure about what they are doing, they should get some advice or help...or pay the dealer to do the work.

This is the best advice ever, believe me I live by this, I have NO PROBLEM asking questions to members if I'm stuck, it has saved me several trips to the shop because of this, oh and Scotty, you know this to be true, ha ha...

X-Joe

SpyderDen
10-04-2011, 08:54 PM

Some of us, aren't quite smart enough to know where to draw that line. :roflblack:
I remember one night on a dark deserted road about 2:00am in the morning.....................never mind.:opps:

JCSMOKE
10-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Some of us, aren't quite smart enough to know where to draw that line. :roflblack:
I remember one night on a dark deserted road about 2:00am in the morning.....................never mind.:opps:

That happened to you too?

ThreeFeet
10-04-2011, 11:39 PM
John OUCH:yikes:..great news you didn't get "zapped"...bad news your baby has taken up smokin'...not good for "it's" health. Now I know why I'm not ready to stop ryding....with my non existent mechanical skills I would probably end up with a puddle of plastic on the garage floor...
Keep us posted...
love those sealfloorboards of your creation.:thumbup:..one of the best mods I've added (after the cup holder of course :roflblack: lol).. Hey there Lady Where did you get a cup holder to fit on your RT?? I am sorry this is off the subject but couldn't find a better way to get the question in... sorry.:opps:

rogerb
10-05-2011, 06:16 AM
Go to the Ram Mount site and start looking. I have the hand brake on my RT so it was easy for me. It has a 1/4" hole in it for mounting it. A reservoir cover mount might be what your looking for. They have one that fits over the stock reservoir cover. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-05-2011, 06:54 AM
That happened to you too?
:agree::shocked: I never even figure out that there's a line to be crossed until I'm in the deep end and the sharks are already circling... :gaah:

boborgera
10-05-2011, 07:32 AM

Hotel California':roflblack:

murphybrown
10-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Hey there Lady Where did you get a cup holder to fit on your RT?? I am sorry this is off the subject but couldn't find a better way to get the question in... sorry.:opps:

Sent you a PM with info on cup holder. ISCI

emshorts
10-31-2011, 08:39 AM
Hey there Lady Where did you get a cup holder to fit on your RT?? I am sorry this is off the subject but couldn't find a better way to get the question in... sorry.:opps:

bought mine through etrailer .com put on my spyder rt and my yamaha bet cup holder i've found.

FrankPa
11-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Great floorboards, large increase in comfortable riding time! But I feel we're very lucky that you didn't try to design in any running lights !!! :yikes:

sealfloorboards
11-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Great floorboards, large increase in comfortable riding time! But I feel we're very lucky that you didn't try to design in any running lights !!! :yikes:

Ya,Ya............ A rocket scientist is not something I have ever put on my resume. I'm just an old metal bender.:dontknow:

Trooper
11-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Ya,Ya............ A rocket scientist is not something I have ever put on my resume. I'm just an old metal bender.:dontknow:

No....you are a skilled metal bender. Its not the same. ;)

bruiser
11-02-2011, 07:06 PM
I agree with Scotty and Boborgera. Any battery work you should always disconnect/connect negative first. This goes for hooking up jumpers as well.

Chick
11-03-2011, 06:38 AM

:agree:

sealfloorboards
11-03-2011, 01:59 PM

Ah shucks (He kicks the dirt, hands deep in his pockets, eyes downcast and a piece of straw between his teeth.) I ain't been at it but 41 years. Just startin' ta get the hang-a-it.

exwinger
11-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Disagree on connecting the negative terminal first when reinstalling to the battery. If the negative is connected then you have a path to ground for your wrench to contact while attaching the positive lead and you'll have sparks if do accidently ground it.

NancysToy
11-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Disagree on connecting the negative terminal first when reinstalling to the battery. If the negative is connected then you have a path to ground for your wrench to contact while attaching the positive lead and you'll have sparks if do accidently ground it.
:agree: Connect the positive first. If not, the wrench accidentally hitting the frame can cause quite a spark!